PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Its time for the Pats to play more 3 WR sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIpats88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
as much as we know the 2 TE/2 WR/1RB set is the pats most favorite and best lineup, I think we are going to need a 3rd WR who can beat man coverage in the playoffs for teams who decide to double welker/Gronk and play press coverage on Hernandez/branch.

I just dont see Ochocinco or Taylor price gaining much consistency in the offense playing 11reps a game. and half of those being run blocking plays. I thought after his 65yard performance last week, they would get ocho some more reps/targets

I think garbage time wouldve been the perfect time to get some throws to price/Ocho just to get them some consistency in the offense and give Branch/welker some rest.

I just dont think either of these guys is going to fully be productive/gain bradys trust until they are thrust into the fire and get consistent reps and targets. and as great as Gronk/welker are. we are going to need production from a WR who can play the outside(ocho/price) in the playoffs

Last edited:
Who do you want to take off the field to make room for Price or OchoCinco -- Gronkowski, Hernandez, or the running back?

I'll pass. 221 sets gives us versatility. You can pass from it and run from it. 311 allows the defenses to load up on CB's.
In a 221, if the D is playing nickel, we run. If they are in base D, we pass.

Now if you wanted to make an argument about Branch getting less reps which allows Chad or TP to get in, sure. That's fine.

Who do you want to take off the field to make room for Price or OchoCinco -- Gronkowski, Hernandez, or the running back?

Use some spread sets..mb cut into deion branches reps in the 2 te sets

hopefully they can have some fun trying different things on offense with some of some of these upcoming games.

The most important thing to try is to play with a healthy Brady.

hopefully they can have some fun trying different things on offense with some of some of these upcoming games.

It was so last year, it is so this year. Yet, it is difficult for folks to understand. If we want a 2 WR receiver set, we play Welker (WR), Branch (WR), Gronkowksi (TE), and Hernandez (TE). If we want a 3 WR set, we play Welker (WR), Branch (WR), Gronkowksi (TE), and Hernandez (WR).
===================

If folks want to replace one of these so that Ochocinco or Price can get more reps, that is a different argument. Perhaps Ocho should play more in place of Branch.

Our offenses is one of the best in the nfl. Improvement might come if the health of Brady's arm is improved. Improvement has come with the greater use of the running game.
===================
BOTTOM LINE

Brady has enough quality targets for success in 2011. 2012 is another matter entirely.

Hernandez is the 3rd WR

Last edited:
It was so last year, it is so this year. Yet, it is difficult for folks to understand. If we want a 2 WR receiver set, we play Welker (WR), Branch (WR), Gronkowksi (TE), and Hernandez (TE). If we want a 3 WR set, we play Welker (WR), Branch (WR), Gronkowksi (TE), and Hernandez (WR).
===================

If folks want to replace one of these so that Ochocinco or Price can get more reps, that is a different argument. Perhaps Ocho should play more in place of Branch.

Our offenses is one of the best in the nfl. Improvement might come if the health of Brady's arm is improved. Improvement has come with the greater use of the running game.
===================
BOTTOM LINE

Brady has enough quality targets for success in 2011. 2012 is another matter entirely.

Yup. The effectiveness of this offense so far lies in the effectiveness of both TE's being able to run the hurry up and line up at both TE and WR. Branch and Welker play the most because of they both have a great understanding of the offense and connection w/ Brady. Once one of the other WR's can run the hurry up well or we stop running the hurry up, then we might see some other names on the field. For right now, it looks like we just have some injury insurance with Ochocinco/Price. *Knock on wood*

BTW, RIpats88, whenever I see your name, I see "RIP" first. Always takes me a second. :)

I think he is saying that he prefers Branch, Ocho, Edelman, Price over Hernandez which makes no sense. We have a better chance with two TEs considering how weak our receiving core is.

How about more of Welker and Hernandez at WR with Gronk as the sole TE and put in BJGE at FB to block/run ahead of Vereen a bit more often? Hit somebody in the mouth!

It sounds like Branch was a late add to the injury report - eerily similar to the late injury to Price a few weeks ago.

I guess what im saying is we need to integrate Ocho/Price more into the offense....doesnt necessarily have to be 3 WR sets. but I think its important we get someone else comfortable in the offense.

especially if it looks like Branch/welker are banged up abit

I think he is saying that he prefers Branch, Ocho, Edelman, Price over Hernandez which makes no sense. We have a better chance with two TEs considering how weak our receiving core is.

I think he's just saying he wants to see someone step up and stretch the field somewhat consistently.

I'd go along with that - I think it will be critical in the playoffs, as it was last year.

I think he's just saying he wants to see someone step up and stretch the field somewhat consistently. I'd go along with that - I think it will be critical in the playoffs, as it was last year.

Players are given opportunities here based on their performance in practice and how it translates on the field. Trying to engineer opportunities for players who can't seem to earn them against perceived lesser opponents is folly. I think any time you take your eyes off the prize or your foot off the pedal you risk taking a step back. Even resting guys rather than pushing thru whatever ails them can backfire when push comes to shove time. That is why sixth seeds often surprise first seeds... Hernandez and even Gronkowski still have things to work on focus and communications wise. As do Deion and Wes. Ocho and Taylor and the young RB's aren't much more than insurance at this point. Focusing on making them more than that has the potential to just as easily knock the whole apple cart off kilter. The division isn't a mathmatical lock yet. And seeding is up for grabs. And if we win out and get the #1 seed we will have a week to rest guys who need it. Sometimes rest leads to rust, mentally and physically.

I think either Ocho or Price needs to beat out Branch for more reps. Branch can't beat press coverage anymore and Ocho and Taylor seems to have a bit more speed and quickness to beat that type of coverage. Problem is, our coaching staff haven't seen enough from those two guys to merit more playing time. Those two gaining our offense's trust I think is going to determine how far we go in the playoffs. A team in the playoffs is going to have success pressing our guys the way Pittsburgh did. Ocho or Taylor could go a long way in helping create passing lanes if they can ever get on the field consistently.

Last edited:
I disagree with the entire premise of the OP.

You play the players that are producing.

You play the players that give you the best matchups.

You play the players that give you the best chance to win.

When I look at the offense, when going good I see 5 players that I'd rather have the rock in their hands instead of Ocho or Price.

-Gronk
-Welker
-Hernandez
-Branch
-BJGE (when the running game is going well, it opens everything up).

With that said, in 2007 the team had Moss, Welker, Stallworth (when he was going good),Gaffney and Faulk as options which were appreciably better then Maroney, Watson and others. This offense is obviously not even close to that level of explosiveness but i'd be idiotic to say for the 2007 team that they should have ran the ball more or executed on more play-action so Watson can get the ball more'. It doesn't make sense. Watson caught 50+ balls because he was always in single coverage- not because he was a primary option in the offense.

With that said, the 2011 Pat's offense attacks the middle of the field. That is what they do best. Maybe when Ocho starts to show a little more and Vereen & Ridley show more in practice that they can pass block more consistiently then maybe they'll get more opportunities but as of right now, you need to go with your strengths and not deviate from them.

My .02$

Last edited:
Nice jinx jackass. Now we're minus 2 WRs

Yes, IMO, this team would be well served with more 3WR sets. The problem is the lack of established WRs on the roster.

Yes, IMO, this team would be well served with more 3WR sets. The problem is the lack of established WRs on the roster.

Exactly. This team is struggling to even get two consistent WRs. I'm not sure where people expect to get three from.

Brady is always going to look for Welker and Gronk first with the Oline injuries they dont have time for him to look for he's 3rd 4th and 5th opt they need The running game, IMO more WR's will lead to more fast 3 and outs puting a injury filled Defense back on the field way to fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes