PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's time for Amendola to step up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind that I admitted that many (or most, actually) of us have done the same thing as far as keeping something alive too long, etc. This particular issue probably should be put to rest at least for the time being, even if you are 100% right, which is certainly possible.

I think that it's just too early to tell at this point myself, although I see nothing wrong with questioning personnel decisions on some level either. In terms of the salary cap (not Kraft's money), Amendola hasn't warranted this much debate in year one, although that is just my opinion of course.

As many have said, if Amendola doesn't improve enough in the mind of Belichick, he will address it sometime next offseason. In the meantime, there may have been not only a learning curve progression that they wanted to see, along with the injury issues (valid or otherwise), but also the fact that they needed to adjust on the fly due to not having other reasonable candidates this particular season. That of course, would mean that Amendola had some responsibilities that may not have shown up in the stat sheet more than his 4.5 catches per game did.

I am moving on; I hope you're right and I am wrong but we will wait and see what happens. I think I hit my quota for Amendola talk for this season though :)

That’s funny because I am not egotistical at all actually I probably find more issue with myself and have more anxiety than 95% of people, that is my burden though. The fundamental difference between you and I is you seem to be extremely agitated by my posts, you find the need to call me names, comment on my mental health, you make these snide remarks as if you’re so right and I am so wrong, you never acknowledge if you take the wrong position you just continue to spin the circumstances into your favor. I acknowledge when I am wrong, I did so with Blount several times and I have done so with other players all season, I do not claim to be correct about everything and when I am wrong I do not make up excuses or exaggerate injuries to fit my argument I own my bad opinions and learn from them. I do not get mad at you for your opinion either in fact if you take the time to provide something with context I actually read it and try and educate myself with it, you on the other hand shoot my posts down like their deer and you’re a hunter, you don’t even give anything I say a chance you just berate it.

The reality is that as of today 1/13/2014 the belief that Amendola is this great player that is worth nearly $6 million a year is wrong. It was an extremely optimistic belief from the beginning, people felt that because Amendola was white, a similar size, went to the same college and played the same position in a similar manner that he was simply going to be the next Wes Welker, they ignored the fact that Welker entered the league in 2004 and did not play in a game as a wide receiver until 2005, he played in 2005 and 2006 prior to being traded and was only targeted 151 times in his career prior to arriving in New England. Amendola entered the league in 2008 and debuted as a wide receiver in 2009 and played for the Rams for 4 seasons during which he was targeted 293 times nearly double the amount as Welker. Amendola is not this player waiting to breakout like Wes was when he arrived, Wes was coming off his best season as a pro in which he doubled his production over his first year as a receiver. Amendola spent 4 seasons and his production when healthy was similar each year, there was very little improvement, his most receptions and yardage actually took place in 2010. My point is that Amendola is actually a beacon of consistency, since 2010 (4 seasons) Amendola has 3 seasons in which he finished with 689, 666 and 633 receiving yards. If you want to compare Welker to a player it would be Edelman entering this season Julian had only been targeted 108 times in his career and in his first season receiving a large number of reps with the first team he produced a 100+ receptions and 1000+ receiving yards, Amendola has been receiving first team reps since 2010 in the NFL.

If you want to believe that Amendola is going to be the next Welker and his groin is prohibiting it that is fine but don’t give me a hard time and act like I am the one being unreasonable for saying otherwise. You told me he would deliver in the second half and he did not do what you claimed, he is still playing the same way he was in week 6 and the same way he did his entire career in St. Louis why should I believe that 2014 is going to be any different? Are we going to do this all next season if he doesn’t deliver? Are you going to point out my ego, make comments like unreasonable or unbelievable at my posts, comment about my mental health, and call me out in to other users? Is there ever going to be a day that you own the fact that your opinion or position on the matter was not correct? If there is not that is fine but just be honest admit that you do not admit when you make a poor call and you will continue to make excuses and justifications while preaching patience, I can accept that but seriously you and the other 5-6 posters in here who take such issue with my providing an actual assessment on Amendola’s less than outstanding first season need to stop giving me a hard time because I don’t do it to any of you, I will reiterate you and others made these points after week 6 about the groin, etc. knowing that you all still set the expectation that he would excel in the second half of the season and I would be eating crow, this did not happen and therefore my confidence in you and the others that you know what Amendola will do in 2014 is not high. If you had not made the assertion after week 6 I would find validity in your reasons but right now it sounds like you all are reinventing and exaggerating a week 1 groin injury to save face and acting overly confrontational and somewhat rude and offensive in convey your spin. If you said I was wrong after week 6 but I really think 2014 will be different for the following reasons X, Y and Z then that would be something I would be understanding of but this acting like you having been singing the same song just with different dates for 19 weeks it is really stubborn and sort of pathetic.

With that said I am going to say this 1 last time, do not insult me, do not disparage me as a member of this board anymore Ivan, you do not know me from Joe so acting like you do and spewing that to the public is immature and unnecessary I do not ever do it to you, I go out of my way to be polite, several times I have even reached out in PM to try and talk 1on1 you ignored me, I wished you well in PM around the holidays you didn’t even have the decency to muster up the courtesy of a response, the other day you attempted to say I was told to ignore you when I never was and even then I apologized to you through Shm for the confusion and told you I had no issue with you, I have taken an endless approach to try and get along with you more than any other poster on this board and either you’re just not able to get along with people or you’re seeing my kindness as a weakness and thinking its ok to **** on me because I am just some forum member who doesn’t deserve anything better because I don’t think Amendola is going to be the next Wes Welker in 2014.

Holy crap

Aspergers.txt

I am moving on; I hope you're right and I am wrong but we will wait and see what happens. I think I hit my quota for Amendola talk for this season though :)

With nearly 60 posts on the subject IN THIS THREAD ALONE, I implore you to make that so.

That’s funny because I am not egotistical at all actually I probably find more issue with myself and have more anxiety than 95% of people, that is my burden though. The fundamental difference between you and I is you seem to be extremely agitated by my posts, you find the need to call me names, comment on my mental health, you make these snide remarks as if you’re so right and I am so wrong, you never acknowledge if you take the wrong position you just continue to spin the circumstances into your favor. I acknowledge when I am wrong, I did so with Blount several times and I have done so with other players all season, I do not claim to be correct about everything and when I am wrong I do not make up excuses or exaggerate injuries to fit my argument I own my bad opinions and learn from them. I do not get mad at you for your opinion either in fact if you take the time to provide something with context I actually read it and try and educate myself with it, you on the other hand shoot my posts down like their deer and you’re a hunter, you don’t even give anything I say a chance you just berate it.

The reality is that as of today 1/13/2014 the belief that Amendola is this great player that is worth nearly $6 million a year is wrong. It was an extremely optimistic belief from the beginning, people felt that because Amendola was white, a similar size, went to the same college and played the same position in a similar manner that he was simply going to be the next Wes Welker, they ignored the fact that Welker entered the league in 2004 and did not play in a game as a wide receiver until 2005, he played in 2005 and 2006 prior to being traded and was only targeted 151 times in his career prior to arriving in New England. Amendola entered the league in 2008 and debuted as a wide receiver in 2009 and played for the Rams for 4 seasons during which he was targeted 293 times nearly double the amount as Welker. Amendola is not this player waiting to breakout like Wes was when he arrived, Wes was coming off his best season as a pro in which he doubled his production over his first year as a receiver. Amendola spent 4 seasons and his production when healthy was similar each year, there was very little improvement, his most receptions and yardage actually took place in 2010. My point is that Amendola is actually a beacon of consistency, since 2010 (4 seasons) Amendola has 3 seasons in which he finished with 689, 666 and 633 receiving yards. If you want to compare Welker to a player it would be Edelman entering this season Julian had only been targeted 108 times in his career and in his first season receiving a large number of reps with the first team he produced a 100+ receptions and 1000+ receiving yards, Amendola has been receiving first team reps since 2010 in the NFL.

If you want to believe that Amendola is going to be the next Welker and his groin is prohibiting it that is fine but don’t give me a hard time and act like I am the one being unreasonable for saying otherwise. You told me he would deliver in the second half and he did not do what you claimed, he is still playing the same way he was in week 6 and the same way he did his entire career in St. Louis why should I believe that 2014 is going to be any different? Are we going to do this all next season if he doesn’t deliver? Are you going to point out my ego, make comments like unreasonable or unbelievable at my posts, comment about my mental health, and call me out in to other users? Is there ever going to be a day that you own the fact that your opinion or position on the matter was not correct? If there is not that is fine but just be honest admit that you do not admit when you make a poor call and you will continue to make excuses and justifications while preaching patience, I can accept that but seriously you and the other 5-6 posters in here who take such issue with my providing an actual assessment on Amendola’s less than outstanding first season need to stop giving me a hard time because I don’t do it to any of you, I will reiterate you and others made these points after week 6 about the groin, etc. knowing that you all still set the expectation that he would excel in the second half of the season and I would be eating crow, this did not happen and therefore my confidence in you and the others that you know what Amendola will do in 2014 is not high. If you had not made the assertion after week 6 I would find validity in your reasons but right now it sounds like you all are reinventing and exaggerating a week 1 groin injury to save face and acting overly confrontational and somewhat rude and offensive in convey your spin. If you said I was wrong after week 6 but I really think 2014 will be different for the following reasons X, Y and Z then that would be something I would be understanding of but this acting like you having been singing the same song just with different dates for 19 weeks it is really stubborn and sort of pathetic.

With that said I am going to say this 1 last time, do not insult me, do not disparage me as a member of this board anymore Ivan, you do not know me from Joe so acting like you do and spewing that to the public is immature and unnecessary I do not ever do it to you, I go out of my way to be polite, several times I have even reached out in PM to try and talk 1on1 you ignored me, I wished you well in PM around the holidays you didn’t even have the decency to muster up the courtesy of a response, the other day you attempted to say I was told to ignore you when I never was and even then I apologized to you through Shm for the confusion and told you I had no issue with you, I have taken an endless approach to try and get along with you more than any other poster on this board and either you’re just not able to get along with people or you’re seeing my kindness as a weakness and thinking its ok to **** on me because I am just some forum member who doesn’t deserve anything better because I don’t think Amendola is going to be the next Wes Welker in 2014.

THe Oscar for Message Board Drama in 2014 is hereby awarded to Brady6 for the preceding stellar performance...BRAVO!!!

audienceApplauseBnW.gif

THe Oscar for Message Board Drama in 2014 is hereby awarded to Brady6 for the preceding stellar performance...BRAVO!!!
It's only January. Aren't you going to wait for the encore?

Manx when I opened the thread after week 6 I was told by you and many others to be patient, we are now entering week 20 and I have not seen anything that I would point to as improving over time, according to posters his groin is still injured 19 weeks after suffering the injury, he is still inconsistent with his ability to get open on a week-to-week basis, and since week six he has dropped to 3rd on the teams depth chart.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-his-critics-correct-page31.html#.UtR98XCfgTI

Take a look back at this thread opened on

Sup says it’s only been 6 weeks and you highlighted that in huge bold font, now 14 weeks later I am being told it’s only been 1 season and you’re preaching patience again. Listen I will be patient as you’re suggesting but is there a point where you and the others are going to concede that what you’re are saying to wait for is not going to happen or are we going to be having this conversation all next season as well.

I mean listen at the very least you should empathies with my position here, I say 3 months ago that a player is not living up to expectation, I am lit up in that thread and then the same posters are in here using the same excuses and asking for the same patience, I mean at the very least you and the others should take some ownership that what you asked for in weeks 6 never came to fruition and should not be acting as if I am the one who is being unreasonable. You’ve already had 14 weeks for your claims to come true, they haven’t now it is next season, and then what it’s going to be 2015 and 2016, is this going to be an endless discussion of false hope and endlessly defending Amendola simply because you like Danny Boy or is there actually some football reasoning behind this and if it doesn’t happen you and the others will acknowledge it? I will acknowledge it if he does impress next season but at the end of the day his first year in New England has been disappointing in context to his contract and the expectations.

That comment wasn't directed at you, but at those who want to dump our receiving corps and sign and draft a bunch of receivers.

As for me taking ownership of something, why should I? I never said anything about a definite time scale. I've always just said that we shouldn't judge Amendola so early. Stop making stuff up about what I say.

audienceApplauseBnW.gif

Thank you buddy its an honor :)

Holy crap

Aspergers.txt

Honestly man my nephew has an autism so I do not find that funny in the least bit. On top of that 26 people, 20 of whom were under the age of 7 lost their lives at the hands with someone with Asperger's a little over a year ago in a school shooting. I might have went overboard but this is a football forum and that type of statement is insensitive and out of bounds.

Joker poked fun at me and I liked his post because it was funny and not offensive to people who suffer from a real disability. You should take a page out of his book, I have no issue with you poking fun at me I can play along its all in good fun but don’t take things to this extreme man that’s not cool.

I am not going to make a big deal out of it or let it affect my opinion of you this time but in the future please think before you type.

That comment wasn't directed at you, but at those who want to dump our receiving corps and sign and draft a bunch of receivers.

As for me taking ownership of something, why should I? I never said anything about a definite time scale. I've always just said that we shouldn't judge Amendola so early. Stop making stuff up about what I say.

Manx I like you and you seem like a real good person but like I said to Sup I don’t want to do this anymore, I said my piece on Amendola and I hope that I am proven wrong but we will have to wait until next season to determine that so until then let’s just hope he can contribute to us winning a Super Bowl and table the conversation till we have more data.

I hate to bring the thread back up, but Amendola isnt going anywhere NEXT season. the way his contract is structured, it wouldnt benefit us at all as I believe it is guaranteed money. They discussed this on the radio.

So next year will be the real test to whether he sticks with the pats or not. But, just like Edelman who was considered "injury prone" before this year, he could stay healthy and put up large numbers and make the contract worth it.

Hopefully he has a big game next week.

Wait, you mean the one Welker caught 2/3 of his passes on? Why should Amendola have to be able to do that to catch 100 passes?

Yep. The quick cuts and starts and tops are a critical part of his game yet he hasn't been able to use them since week 1. He can still run straight ahead and he can block so they kept him out there to draw attention and take advantage of teams that don't pay attention to him, and he has done just that, expecting more of him with that kind of injury is completely unrealistic and would have just resulted in him aggravating the injury to the point where he couldn't have done anything and would have to go to IR. Patriot fans should respect that kind of toughness and appreciate his willingness to play an entire season though a serious injury, rather than crapping all over him and calling for his release.

Holy crap

Aspergers.txt

I was more of the belief that he is suffering from some sort of mental illness but the more i think about it the more likely it is that you are right. Either way i have him on ignore so my part in this will be at an end. ( I had him there for the last couple of months but took him off last week because he continued to quote me and respond to me as though we were having a discussion when in truth he knew full well that I had him on ignore because the moderators had told both of us to put each other on ignore, which he unfortunately ignored)

I was more of the belief that he is suffering from some sort of mental illness but the more i think about it the more likely it is that you are right. Either way i have him on ignore so my part in this will be at an end. ( I had him there for the last couple of months but took him off last week because he continued to quote me and respond to me as though we were having a discussion when in truth he knew full well that I had him on ignore because the moderators had told both of us to put each other on ignore, which he unfortunately ignored)

That is untrue Ivan nobody ever told me to place you on ignore and that was confirmed last week by a moderator when you made that accusation. I have no issue with you as I said you’re the one that can’t seem to disconnect discussing football from personal feelings. This is supposed to be fun, and unless Danny Amendola is your father, brother, cousin or friend which I don’t think is the case I cannot figure out why my saying he has not lived up to expectations is so upsetting to you. Anyway if you want to ignore me that is fine you do what you feel you need to do.

The mental illness things is unnecessary as is the Asperger’s comment. I can form a sentence and take the time to provide to posters who quote me with a detailed response that isn’t really anything that I would label as either of those things but what if I was one of those things is there something wrong with that Ivan? So the implication is that we take issue with people with mental illnesses or disabilities and we ignore them?

Basically you defend multi-millionaire football players against any criticism but you ignore and take issue with people who have mental illnesses or disabilities. That is just beyond words…

Brady6
This message is hidden because Brady6 is on your ignore list.

I hate to bring the thread back up, but Amendola isnt going anywhere NEXT season. the way his contract is structured, it wouldnt benefit us at all as I believe it is guaranteed money. They discussed this on the radio.

So next year will be the real test to whether he sticks with the pats or not. But, just like Edelman who was considered "injury prone" before this year, he could stay healthy and put up large numbers and make the contract worth it.

Hopefully he has a big game next week.

I would think Edelman's asking price would start at Amendola's contract. That's a big chunk of change.

Hopefully Amdendola will play lights out next year, like he was in the Buffalo game.

I would think Edelman's asking price would start at Amendola's contract. That's a big chunk of change.

Hopefully Amdendola will play lights out next year, like he was in the Buffalo game.
Since Edelman will be 28 years old at the start of the 2014 NFL Season, this will in all likelihood Edelman's last chance at a juicy long term contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back