PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's time for Amendola to step up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Combined with Brady's atrocious 0-12 performance it is a miracle they won the game. they really need to release Brady after this season, it won't cost them anything and Mallett can hand the ball off just as well as Brady can. This may be the worst football team i have ever seen, they are "pitiful," just "pitiful."

*Note-I didn't count Brady's completions because they were easy, and those don't count.

This "pitiful" roster made it all the way to the playoffs. I don't know how that happened.

That's actually very untrue...

Amendola did not choke and if Brady6 isn’t bashing him you shouldn’t either… - New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard

As you can see when Amendola performance merits praise I am one of the first to praise him but I am not going to just blow smoke up peoples asses and make excuses for one the highest paid players on the team when he isn't doing what I would expect of him.

Thanks for reminding us. That is the most narcissistic thread in Patsfans history, NEM not excepted. The fact that you believe you are the arbiter of what is worthy of criticism and what isn't is really screwed up.

This "pitiful" roster made it all the way to the playoffs. I don't know how that happened.

I honestly can't figure that out, favoritism from the NFL is the only thing that makes sense. And the fact that they get to go to the AFCCG is downright criminal, if you throw out the Blount and Ridley's TD's then they were shut out by the Colts last night and the Colts should move on.

*Note, I threw out the TD's by Blount and Ridley because they were easy, so they don't count.

The groin isn't hilarious the fact that you and others keep pointing it out as an excuse is, it's week 19 of the regular season I'm pretty sure 53/53 players have some type of nagging injury. Dennard had knee surgery a month ago he went out there as a starting CB had 4 pass defended and 2 interceptions.

Please just stop with the excuse they're really meaningless anyway even if the groin is hindering him how good of a player could he be if that drops to a 3rd wide receiver who has averaged 2 receptions per game over his past 3 games? Welker averaged about 7 catches a game, Amendola was dubbed as the Welker replacement so apparently this groin is taking 70% of his production away.

So just you know I have not once brought up it being an excuse I am saying you don't know **** about his injury at all.

Fans dubbed Amendola Welkers replacement, not once did the Pats say it.

Over last 3 games Welkers had 0 receptions. See I can skew stats too.

Yes you did skew the stats using Welkers full stats compared to Amendolas last 3 games.

And over their careers
Amendola 4.6 catches per games
Welker 5.5 catches per game

So just you know I have not once brought up it being an excuse I am saying you don't know **** about his injury at all.

Over last 3 games Welkers had 0 receptions. See I can skew stats too.

Yes you did skew the stats using Welkers full stats compared to Amendolas last 3 games.

And over their careers

Amendola 4.6 catches per games

Welker 5.5 catches per game

I think the thing you're not grasping is that my issue, disappointment or whatever you want to call it is not with Danny Amendola. It is with his salary which isn't really his fault; we offered it and he did what anyone would do and accepted it. My frustration is with the posters who insist that next season Danny's 7th season in the NFL will be so different and that he is better then Welker Edelman despite what his play reflects.

Theoretically I am not bashing Amendola I am accepting that he is the player that he showed and that his only flaw is that the Patriots willingly paid him to much money and he did what anyone in their right mind would do and accepted it. You and other posters on the other hand are basically saying Amendola was not that good this season and he is going to be so much better next year which implies you view this season as disappointing. I don't view his season as disappointing I actually see it as one of the most successful of his career and am pleased to have a player that can replace the production lost by Hernandez or Branch over the 2010-2012 season but while acknowledging that he is being paid more that those contributions merit.

I will say your claim that fans didn't dub Amendola the replacement for Welker is the most incorrect thing I have ever read on patsfans and you either don't read about the team often or you intentionally made a false statement. In addition I know as much about the injury to say it shouldn't be a issues as you do to say it is an issue, in fact there is more to support my position than yours.

I think the thing you're not grasping is that my issue, disappointment or whatever you want to call it is not with Danny Amendola. It is with his salary which isn't really his fault; we offered it and he did what anyone would do and accepted it. My frustration is with the posters who insist that next season Danny's 7th season in the NFL will be so different and that he is better then Welker Edelman despite what his play reflects.

Theoretically I am not bashing Amendola I am accepting that he is the player that he showed and that his only flaw is that the Patriots willingly paid him to much money and he did what anyone in their right mind would do and accepted it. You and other posters on the other hand are basically saying Amendola was not that good this season and he is going to be so much better next year which implies you view this season as disappointing. I don't view his season as disappointing I actually see it as one of the most successful of his career and am pleased to have a player that can replace the production lost by Hernandez or Branch over the 2010-2012 season but while acknowledging that he is being paid more that those contributions merit.

I will say your claim that fans didn't dub Amendola the replacement for Welker is the most incorrect thing I have ever read on patsfans and you either don't read about the team often or you intentionally made a false statement. In addition I know as much about the injury to say it shouldn't be a issues as you do to say it is an issue, in fact there is more to support my position than yours.

1. Again never said injury was an issue.
2. You worry too much about salary
3. Where did I claim fan didn't dub him Welker replacement? I said Pats didn't. I said fans did.
4. Did you actually read my post?

Lmao-Reading comprehension, it's a wonderful thing...........

If you're pleased to have Amendola, I'd hate to see what your posts would be like if you didn't want someone on the roster.

Look, I get what you're saying and I admire your balls for saying it but you're just too quick to be critical in my opinion. Earlier this season you called the Patriots roster "pitiful" and and wondered why Chris Jones was still on the roster when a bit of patience would have given you a better perspective. I'm merely suggesting that this patience be applied to Amendola too.

If you're pleased to have Amendola, I'd hate to see what your posts would be like if you didn't want someone on the roster.

Look, I get what you're saying and I admire your balls for saying it but you're just too quick to be critical in my opinion. Earlier this season you called the Patriots roster "pitiful" and labelled Chris Jones a waste of space or words to that effect when a bit of patience would have given you a better perspective. I'm merely suggesting that this patience be applied to Amendola too.

It was actually Deus who labelled the Patriots roster "pitiful." However he was far from alone in trashing the players on this team and Belichick for bringing them here. The list of players many here wanted gone is lengthy, but it started with Blount and Goskowski and went on to include Ridley, Dobson, and even Brady at one point. Once again however Belichick and the Patriots proved them to be completely full of sh.t and it was ajoy watching that happen.

1. Again never said injury was an issue.

2. You worry too much about salary

3. Where did I claim fan didn't dub him Welker replacement? I said Pats didn't. I said fans did.

4. Did you actually read my post?

I worry about salary because Hernandez really handcuffed us with his dumbness. We have a ton of starters and core players up for free agency and extensions in the next couple of seasons.
QB
- Mallett
RB
- Blount*
- Ridley*
- Vereen*
WR
- Edelman*
OL
- Wendell*
- Solder*
- Cannon*
- Connolly*
DL
- Wilfork*
- Jones*
- Siliga*
LB
- Spikes*
- Hightower*
- Fletcher
DB
- Talib
- McCourty*
- Dennard*
- Gregory*
ST
- Gostkowski*
- Slater*

*starter or #1 on depth chart in specific role.

It was actually Deus who labelled the Patriots roster "pitiful." However he was far from alone in trashing the players on this team and Belichick for bringing them here. The list of players many here wanted gone is lengthy, but it started with Blount and Goskowski and went on to include Ridley, Dobson, and even Brady at one point. Once again however Belichick and the Patriots proved them to be completely full of sh.t and it was ajoy watching that happen.

No it was Brady6 initially and Deus defended his description. I don't want to drag B6 over the coals for that, I get being disappointed after a loss, but it just demonstrates that B6 needs to temper his rather over the top assessments of this team. And most importantly, he shouldn't keep telling us that we are wrong if we disagree with his singular view.

I won't even say what he said about Blount in that post <ouch> :eek: :)

I worry about salary because Hernandez really handcuffed us with his dumbness. We have a ton of starters and core players up for free agency and extensions in the next couple of seasons.
QB
- Mallett
RB
- Blount*
- Ridley*
- Vereen*
WR
- Edelman*
OL
- Wendell*
- Solder*
- Cannon*
- Connolly*
DL
- Wilfork*
- Jones*
- Siliga*
LB
- Spikes*
- Hightower*
- Fletcher
DB
- Talib
- McCourty*
- Dennard*
- Gregory*
ST
- Gostkowski*
- Slater*

*starter or #1 on depth chart in specific role.

And Amendolas 4.5m cap hit is not going to prevent them from signing anyone of those players. If the Pats want them back they will be back.

No it was Brady6 initially and Deus defended his description. I don't want to drag B6 over the coals for that, I get being disappointed after a loss, but it just demonstrates that B6 needs to temper his rather over the top assessments of this team. And most importantly, he shouldn't keep telling us that one is wrong if one disagrees with his singular view.

I won't even say what he said about Blount in that post <ouch> :eek: :)

I'll buy that. I just didn't want to have it attributed to Brady6 if he wasn't the one who said it, however I can definitely buy the idea that both said it. What is hilarious however is the way these guys say it in one breath and then revise when they have a good game only to then go back to their original "they suck " stance the first chance they get. Breathtaking fickle fandom at its finest. Fantasy football has been great for football's popularity but imo it has created an ignorant monster in that many now think that stats are the end all be all of football analysis. Context is everything in football, stats are tertiary at best, but there are unfortunately those who think that an endless array of cherry picked stats are the best way look at players and the game. Imo they really don't know what the hell they are talking about so they resort to numbers to try and make their case, and in doing so miss what really matters on a consistent basis. Andrew Luck had more touchdowns last night, therefore he outplayed Brady.............................

Back to the original point-Anyone who considered this roster to be "pitiful" is ignorant when it comes to football.

Danny Amendola has played the entire season with a full abductor tear, he should be applauded for playing through that injury all season instead of being crapped on for it.

I'll buy that. I just didn't want to have it attributed to Brady6 if he wasn't the one who said it, however I can definitely buy the idea that both said it. What is hilarious however is the way these guys say it in one breath and then revise when they have a good game only to then go back to their original "they suck " stance the first chance they get. Breathtaking fickle fandom at its finest. Fantasy football has been great for football's popularity but imo it has created an ignorant monster in that many now think that stats are the end all be all of football analysis. Context is everything in football, stats are tertiary at best, but there are unfortunately those who think that an endless array of cherry picked stats are the best way look at players and the game. Imo they really don't know what the hell they are talking about so they resort to numbers to try and make their case, and in doing so miss what really matters on a consistent basis. Andrew Luck had more touchdowns last night, therefore he outplayed Brady.............................

Back to the original point-Anyone who considered this roster to be "pitiful" is ignorant when it comes to football.

I feel uncomfortable talking about him rather than to him, and by and large, I like B6 and I will say this in his defense, at least he does try to back up his arguments which is a lot more than many posters do. He's also prepared to put his opinion on the record which is braver than I am, I equivocate far too much, and personally, I think this forum is much the better with him here. However it's fair to say that there are things I don't agree with him on.

And Amendolas 4.5m cap hit is not going to prevent them from signing anyone of those players. If the Pats want them back they will be back.

Amendola has zero chance of being released so his contract has absolutely nothing to do with this year's free agent class. That some here now want to move the goalposts to include the 2015 free agent class shows just how desperate they have become to defend what is really an indefensible position.

If Amendola fails to live up to his contract next season he will be asked to redo his deal and if he won't then they will look at releasing him, but not before that.

Look, I get what you're saying and I admire your balls for saying it but you're just too quick to be critical in my opinion. Earlier this season you called the Patriots roster "pitiful" and labelled Chris Jones a waste of space or words to that effect when a bit of patience would have given you a better perspective. I'm merely suggesting that this patience be applied to Amendola too.

I am not be critical I am just annoyed that the same excuses have been given and carrot has been being hung since my thread in week 6. My criticism is to those posters who are insistent that player who entered the NFL in 2008 and never exceeded 85 receptions, 689 receiving yards or 3 touchdowns in a season is as good or even better than Welker and Edelman when both of them exceeded his career highs in production in 2013. It's irrational in my opinion, what is going to change in 2014 that will suddenly have me eating crow? He is going to be healthy I am assuming would be the answer which is really wishful thinking and not even because Amendola has been injury prone but because I don't think any player makes it through a 16 games season completely healthy. Add to that the fact that Amendola is getting closer to 30 years old so like every player or person for that matter his physical gifts are going to begin to diminish.

Listen brother you know I have a ton of respect for you as poster and even when I disagree I find merit and educational value in your posts, I consider you to be the best draft guru on here and even though we get into it sometimes I genuinely enjoy discussing things with you. Those things aside I can't see how you are taking this position here for the simple reason it's basically improbable that Amendola can prove that he is as good as Welker and probably even Edelman for that matter. Talent wise Amendola could be the most gifted but that doesn't really matter, Hernandez is probably the 2nd or 3rd most talented TE that's been in the league in the past 4-5 years but his crimes prevent him from reaching his potential. For the prime of Amendola's career 26, 27 and 28 he had injuries prevent him from reaching his potential, so even if he breaks out in 2014 (a big if in my opinion) he is likely at best going to string together 3 years of great production before his age begins to really hinder his production. Welker was 25 when he arrived here and 26 at the start of his first season, between age 26 and 31 Welker had 7 seasons that all exceeded Amendola's max production the best Amendola could do during that period is 3 season as he will turn 29 in 2014, 30 in 2015, and 31in 2016. Edelman who had his most productive season this year at age 27, if he continues to produce at this level until age 31 he would turn 28 in 2014, 29 in 2015, 30 in 2016 and 31 in 2017 which means he would finish with 5 high productions seasons during that period.

I feel uncomfortable talking about him rather than to him, and by and large, I like B6 and I will say this in his defense, at least he does try to back up his arguments which is a lot more than many posters do. He's also prepared to put his opinion on the record which is braver than I am, I equivocate far too much, and personally, I think this forum is much the better with him here. However it's fair to say that there are things I don't agree with him on.

That's fine, I don't because i think that arguments based upon cherry picked stats are completely misleading and utterly worthless. I love talking football but in truth the influx of fantasy garbage is pretty much ruining it for me. Belichick is right, stats are for losers.

I am not be critical I am just annoyed that the same excuses have been given and carrot has been being hung since my thread in week 6. My criticism is to those posters who are insistent that player who entered the NFL in 2008 and never exceeded 85 receptions, 689 receiving yards or 3 touchdowns in a season is as good or even better than Welker and Edelman when both of them exceeded his career highs in production in 2013. It's irrational in my opinion, what is going to change in 2014 that will suddenly have me eating crow? He is going to be healthy I am assuming would be the answer which is really wishful thinking and not even because Amendola has been injury prone but because I don't think any player makes it through a 16 games season completely healthy. Add to that the fact that Amendola is getting closer to 30 years old so like every player or person for that matter his physical gifts are going to begin to diminish.

Listen brother you know I have a ton of respect for you as poster and even when I disagree I find merit and educational value in your posts, I consider you to be the best draft guru on here and even though we get into it sometimes I genuinely enjoy discussing things with you. Those things aside I can't see how you are taking this position here for the simple reason it's basically improbable that Amendola can prove that he is as good as Welker and probably even Edelman for that matter. Talent wise Amendola could be the most gifted but that doesn't really matter, Hernandez is probably the 2nd or 3rd most talented TE that's been in the league in the past 4-5 years but his crimes prevent him from reaching his potential. For the prime of Amendola's career 26, 27 and 28 he had injuries prevent him from reaching his potential, so even if he breaks out in 2014 (a big if in my opinion) he is likely at best going to string together 3 years of great production before his age begins to really hinder his production. Welker was 25 when he arrived here and 26 at the start of his first season, between age 26 and 31 Welker had 7 seasons that all exceeded Amendola's max production the best Amendola could do during that period is 3 season as he will turn 29 in 2014, 30 in 2015, and 31in 2016. Edelman who had his most productive season this year at age 27, if he continues to produce at this level until age 31 he would turn 28 in 2014, 29 in 2015, 30 in 2016 and 31 in 2017 which means he would finish with 5 high productions seasons during that period.

Amendola should be evaluated on his own merits and in that respect he's had an OK season but there have been enough mitigating factors that warrant a further look and an incomplete assessment report. That's all I've said and I've never compared him to Edelman or Welker - although you keep telling me that's what I'm doing.

Amendola could do during that period is 3 season as he will turn 29 in 2014, 30 in 2015, and 31in 2016. Edelman who had his most productive season this year at age 27, if he continues to produce at this level until age 31 he would turn 28 in 2014, 29 in 2015, 30 in 2016 and 31 in 2017 which means he would finish with 5 high productions seasons during that period.

Have you considered the possibility that having two productive receivers might actually be a good thing in Brady's final years? Just throwing that radical idea out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back