PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this really a play-off caliber offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playoff caliber, yes. Super Bowl caliber... not in its current form. I think Edelman coming back gets us to that level, though, if he's anywhere in the ballpark of 100%.

The interior line gelling, James White's continued establishment and/or someone emerging out of the WRs (Martin?) could also do it. I do feel pretty good about Bolden, at least. He's really impressed me the past few weeks.

I'm glad someone happens to agree with me on this.

@IcyPatriot You flagged me with a "disagree." But how am I wrong to question the playoff readiness of the offense, when the Pats only scored two offensive touchdowns against the Titans (neither of which came in the final 40 minutes of the game)?

It's not really debatable. The number of hits Brady's taken, the drop in points scored, the drop in efficiency, etc... One need only split the offense viewing from weeks 1-8 (with Lewis) and weeks 9-15 (One injury after another) to see it.

And this should not be looked at as an issue, or surprise, by anyone.

Lewis to IR
Blount to IR
Gronk has been out, and injured when in
Edelman's been out
Amendola's clearly not been fully healthy
LaFell's been going full Dropson
OL injuries have depleted the line
The team was down to 2 WR at times

Given the above, what's happened in recent weeks isn't surprising, and it's something that's been discussed here on the board week after week. Given all the injuries, the only really surprising thing during that stretch was the coaching brain lock in the Eagles game.

Right now it is not a high quality offense. Right now it is a lightly above middling.
Just the addition of Jules will vault this team back to clear quality. Add Gronk, add DA, add BL, and add the clear emergence of White as a viable passing option will equal a team who will score near or better than 30 on any defense.

image.png

The "worst" offensive performance of the season involved scoring 20 points. The next "worst" performance was 24 on the best defense in the league this season. Every other game, we've scored at least 27 points. They've generated 300 yards or more of offense in EVERY SINGLE GAME.

This is the most consistent offense in the league. If you're guaranteeing me 20 points and 300 yards per game in the playoffs with this defense, that's more than capable.

I can't even believe I'm wasting my ****ing time with this ****. This is obviously a troll job, and OP is either FredFromDartmouth or PessimisticPete's secondary account. Not sure which. Unless they're all the same person. Maybe.

@IcyPatriot You flagged me with a "disagree." But how am I wrong to question the playoff readiness of the offense, when the Pats only scored two offensive touchdowns against the Titans (neither of which came in the final 40 minutes of the game)?

I wouldn't have 'disagree' buttoned you, but I think the Patriots going into an obviously pared down offense in the 2nd half, isn't much of an indication as to their abilities.

I wouldn't have 'disagree' buttoned you, but I think the Patriots going into an obviously pared down offense in the 2nd half, isn't much of an indication as to their abilities.

They had to dial down the offense because of injury and bad OL play. How does that not help make the OP's point?

I get what you're saying, but I think people are playing games with the "playoff caliber" phrasing rather than just acknowledging what we all know, which is that the offense has been extremely limited in recent weeks.

I think if we get to the SB it will be our D that gets us through. I don't see us beating Carolina with this O if we keep having injuries like we are.
Like Carolina is a lock to win the brutal NFC!

They had to dial down the offense because of injury and bad OL play. How does that not help make the OP's point?

I get what you're saying, but I think people are playing games with the "playoff caliber" phrasing rather than just acknowledging what we all know, which is that the offense has been extremely limited in recent weeks.

I think the first half was a better indication as to what they are, offensively (even with injuries), when they did score, than the 2nd half, when the Amendola injury forced them to pack it back in.

That's my point. I didn't say he was wrong, I just didn't think that game was the best example. I think vs. the Texans was a better example as to what they can do, even without Edelman. It's not enough to win a championship, but it's not terrible.

And I'm convinced they will have a championship-caliber offense come the Divisional Round.

I think the first half was a better indication as to what they are, offensively (even with injuries), when they did score, than the 2nd half, when the Amendola injury forced them to pack it back in.

That's my point. I didn't say he was wrong, I just didn't think that game was the best example. I think vs. the Texans was a better example as to what they can do, even without Edelman. It's not enough to win a championship, but it's not terrible.

Fair enough. I'm not buying what you're selling (Texans game was severely slanted by it being Watt's first game with that injury and the Texans offense being so anemic that it set the Patriots up all game long), but I can see why you're selling it.

And I'm convinced they will have a championship-caliber offense come the Divisional Round.

I'm buying in whenever we see

Healthy Gronk
Healthy Amendola
Healthy Edelman
Useful Jackson

Give us that, keep Brady healthy, and just keep the OL from wetting itself, and I think we're looking at an offense that's just a notch below the one that started the season.

This is the most consistent offense in the league. If you're guaranteeing me 20 points and 300 yards per game in the playoffs with this defense, that's more than capable.
The Patriots are going to have to do a lot better than that if they want to make it to the Super Bowl. I'm sure Brady and Belichick feel the same way.

But I know this team has what it takes to pull out the wins, and I expect the offense to perform better once Amendola and Edelman return from their injuries *cross my fingers*

Offense went stale after Amendola went out of the game ...
Such a hasty thread IMO .... mountain out of a mole hill as they say.
Not as bad as the RB controversy thread though .... that one was worse.
Patience is a virtue ............
How many other teams are 12-2 with 17 IR'd?

We have a championship offense. Once Edelman is back we're a Dion Lewis away from being the greatest offense of all time. Edelman is a big part of moving the chains, him out changes everything, just like any other majr component.

Pats gonna roll this year in the playoffs

Offense went stale after Amendola went out of the game ...
Such a hasty thread IMO .... mountain out of a mole hill as they say.
Not as bad as the RB controversy thread though .... that one was worse.
Patience is a virtue ............
How many other teams are 12-2 with 17 IR'd?
Right, missing a slot piece like DA, even if he doesn't work solely out of that position. The point is that this offense thrives on reliable possession type quick receivers. We had two, went down to one and then none and then back to one. So hopefully we will get back to 2 at some point soon here. When they do, they are going to be impossible to defend. All that said, those 2 benefit greatly from having a guy like Gronk out there. It's like a perfect offensive ecosystem. The QB needs his 2 slot receivers, the slots need the TE, the line needs them all and then the QB is happy. Because he can get rid of the ball. Football ecosystem.......

We scored 33 points against them, which is more than their average allowed. They have a talented defense.

I think this is a little misleading as our defense scored once and we also scored after a long kick off return by Martin and after an interception as well. I think our defense played a lot better than our offense on Sunday.

Even with all the injuries this is still one of the best offenses in the NFL. Without the injuries it's the best by a large margin. Maybe the best in history.

Clearly they're better if all the dinged up guys get back, but I still wouldn't be that worried if they took this offense into the playoffs or SB.

TFB+Gronk = win.

There's no mystery that the offense has come back to Earth due to all of the injuries that have befallen them this season. Be that as it may, they are playoff-caliber if/when they get their skill position players and offensive lineman healthy.

The two things that might be of concern come playoff time are:

1) O-line. The past few weeks their play has become very inconsistent, especially the interior.

2) Our health. Are Edleman and Amendola going to be near 100%, especially Edleman,

Even with all the injuries this is still one of the best offenses in the NFL. Without the injuries it's the best by a large margin. Maybe the best in history.

Clearly they're better if all the dinged up guys get back, but I still wouldn't be that worried if they took this offense into the playoffs or SB.

TFB+Gronk = win.
You really need more than just Gronk. With no possession types out in denver this offense really struggled. With no real viable running game, they need at least one possession type wr to be healthy. I will take 2, but one would probably work. Brady would just get crumpled up and hold the ball longer. Gronk is a beast, but he pulls a ton of coverage. Someone "reliable needs to be there to fill that void. So TFB + Gronk doesn't equal a win. But, it helps allot....

You really need more than just Gronk. With no possession types out in denver this offense really struggled. With no real viable running game, they need at least one possession type wr to be healthy. I will take 2, but one would probably work. Brady would just get crumpled up and hold the ball longer. Gronk is a beast, but he pulls a ton of coverage. Someone "reliable needs to be there to fill that void. So TFB + Gronk doesn't equal a win. But, it helps allot....

I wasn't saying just put Gronk out there by himself. There will actually be other receivers out there. to catch the ball when Gronk is doubled and tripled. It just doesn't really matter all that much who those receivers are. Amendola? LaFell? Hankerson? Martin? Yup, they'll all work just fine as long as TFB and Gronk are healthy.

The offense really struggled vs. Denver because they were on the road against the best defense in the NFL.

EDIT: And scoring 24 against Denver isn't really struggling.

Last edited:
Considering we are on track to have most of our early season offense back for the divisional round with james white looking like dion lewis lately in the passing game I say yes

If edelman Is anywhere close to 100 percent we are back on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe