PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is There Much Value at 25-35?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fitzy is the face of Arizona's franchise, him leaving this year or next (if there is franchise tag), I just don't see it happening..

He will be traded...or he will leave as a free agent. He makes an absurd amount of money that has resulted in AZ shedding key players like Dansby and Boldin. To franchise him would result in him making another 20% on top of his outrageous salary.

Note that Fitz didn't demand this outrageous salary....the Cards did some crazy contract structure that resulted in his triggering some escalator which resulted in crazy cash if they wanted to keep him for the final 3 years of his contract. Fitz has said that he's not playing for money at this point...he wants to win. He's strongly suggested that he will not resign in AZ unless he feels they have a top QB and a chance to win the Super Bowl. I don't think he's going to re-sign period...why wouldn't he take his one chance at free agency and go to a team like the Pats, Colts, Chargers, etc. that have an elite QB in place?

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Fitzgerald in NE next season. It's a win-win for everybody involved.

A very bold statement, sir. :cool:

Who, in particular, do you see as good values in the 2nd + 3rd?

*tip of the hat*

Let's look at some of the Pats needs compared to where the sweet spot in the draft is (using draftcountdown.com rankings):
RBs 1st round grade (1) 2nd round grade (2) 3rd round grade (6)
OG 1st round grade (1) 2nd round grade (4) 3rd round grade (2)
OT 1st round grade (5) 2nd round grade (2) 3rd round grade (2)
WR 1st round grade (2) 2nd round grade (6) 3rd round grade (5)
S 1st round grade (0) 2nd round grade (1) 3rd round grade (0) 4+
OLB is a different beast since you are including OLB and DE that fit the Pats scheme. IMO I think guys like Houston, Sheard, Wilson, Reed will fit better then Smith, Kerrigan, Ayers as they've played the position before and have the athletic ability needed for the position.

Based on that we could take a OT in the first round, trade down into the 2nd where there will be plenty of players that fit the Pats needs.

*tip of the hat*

Let's look at some of the Pats needs compared to where the sweet spot in the draft is (using draftcountdown.com rankings):
OLB is a different beast since you are including OLB and DE that fit the Pats scheme. IMO I think guys like Houston, Sheard, Wilson, Reed will fit better then Smith, Kerrigan, Ayers as they've played the position before and have the athletic ability needed for the position.

Based on that we could take a OT in the first round, trade down into the 2nd where there will be plenty of players that fit the Pats needs.

Good stuff, that's an interesting approach to draft strategy. I think OT ratings are skewed a little, though, because players considered to have LT potential go higher than RTs. If you see Vollmer as the long-term LT, then the 1st-round valuations might not apply.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Fitzgerald in NE next season. It's a win-win for everybody involved.

Oh Lord, please let it be so!

He will be traded...or he will leave as a free agent. He makes an absurd amount of money that has resulted in AZ shedding key players like Dansby and Boldin. To franchise him would result in him making another 20% on top of his outrageous salary.

Note that Fitz didn't demand this outrageous salary....the Cards did some crazy contract structure that resulted in his triggering some escalator which resulted in crazy cash if they wanted to keep him for the final 3 years of his contract. Fitz has said that he's not playing for money at this point...he wants to win. He's strongly suggested that he will not resign in AZ unless he feels they have a top QB and a chance to win the Super Bowl. I don't think he's going to re-sign period...why wouldn't he take his one chance at free agency and go to a team like the Pats, Colts, Chargers, etc. that have an elite QB in place?

Thank you. I feel the same.
DW Toys

Outside of the top 6 players I'm really not liking what I see until the 2nd round as far as value. The needs as I see for the Pats are RB, OG, OT, to a lesser extent OLB, S, WR. Most of those positions sweet spots are in the late 2nd to 3rd rounds. I'm hoping we trade back.

A very bold statement, sir. :cool:

Who, in particular, do you see as good values in the 2nd + 3rd?

*tip of the hat*

Ah! Well DONE, sir!! I concur with Sister Patricia...

*tip of the hat*

This is stage one of the round valuation, now you need to look at those individuals and assess them strictly from the NE standpoint. For example: Pouncy, whom many consider a first round talent, looks like a prospect whom I'd grade out in the 4th round for NE - at guard. At center he's a UDFA.

This is stage one of the round valuation, now you need to look at those individuals and assess them strictly from the NE standpoint. For example: Pouncy, whom many consider a first round talent, looks like a prospect whom I'd grade out in the 4th round for NE - at guard. At center he's a UDFA.

That's true, but generally speaking this is how the draft is going to fall taking all teams into consideration.

Relative to what? Pouncey will go in the first round this year, do you think he'd go 4th round last year or next year?

It seems to me that these grades are inherently relative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes