PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is there a way to resolve the wilfork story through a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DW Toys

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The Texans have holes. The have limited CAP space. They need a NT. They will have to cut Schaub. But they lost their NT Earl Mitchell who was not a great fit for Romeo Crennel. So, why not Vince Wilfork? They only had one year together at the Pats but Romeo knows VW and what he can do. If the Texans ownership is not spooked by the Ed Reed fiasco and if the VW recovery can be medically approved, maybe there is a deal to be made. In fact, a Blockbuster.

Reed is four years older than his "U" alma mater VW. Other than this Achilles, VW has been plenty durable.

I need Miguel to chime in on this for CAP swaps.

The swap I propose is this. I have not wavered about Andre Johnson (swap "U" for "U" dudes!). The Texans want Johnson to take a pay cut sooner than later. At the same age as VW, what does he have left? By his production with nothing at QB last year in Houston, plenty!

Strangely enough the Texans need a QB and not only does BO know Mallet, he knows VW as well. Can you see the Texans with J.J. Watt, Brian Cushing , number #1 pick Clowney and Vince Wilfork playing under Romeo? Add LB Mercilus as pretty good too.

Wilfork, Mallett, Amendola (they would need a serviceable starter and this is like an NBA trade in some sense with CAP benefits) plus our first round pick #29

For Andre Johnson (add for TB PLEASE!) and the Texans pick at #33 and perhaps a fifth?

The Texans have a year on seeing if Vince is back to Vince.

The Pats fans will not want to see VW leave.

The Texans Fans will not want to see Andre Johnson leave.

But, it is time.......

Mallet would come into a great running back situation with Foster and a decent up and coming TE in Graham and WR in Hopkins. Plus Mallet if familiar with Amendola.

In essence Mallett for #33 and Wilfork and Amendola for Andre Johnson.

It solves both logistical and emotional issues for both Teams.

BO, Romeo and BB can get together I am sure.

Makes sense to me? Thoughts?
DW Toys

Tough to trade a 33 year old DT coming off a achilles tear with a $7.5 million base salary.

1 word. 7 letters. Raiders

I came in here hoping to be entertained. I was not disappointed.

Wilfork holds all the leverage when it comes to a trade. All he has to do is refuse to redo his contract with any new team and nobody will trade for him. The Revis approach, if you will.

When you trade a player, it's the same as cutting him; all the remaining signing bonus gets accelerated as dead money to each team's cap. That's a big reason why you seldom see player for player trades in the NFL.

Wilfork for JJ Watt works for me. :p

Tough to trade a 33 year old DT coming off a achilles tear with a $7.5 million base salary.

The Patriots might get a 7th round conditional pick.

The Texans have holes. The have limited CAP space. They need a NT. They will have to cut Schaub. But they lost their NT Earl Mitchell who was not a great fit for Romeo Crennel. So, why not Vince Wilfork? They only had one year together at the Pats but Romeo knows VW and what he can do. If the Texans ownership is not spooked by the Ed Reed fiasco and if the VW recovery can be medically approved, maybe there is a deal to be made. In fact, a Blockbuster.

Reed is four years older than his "U" alma mater VW. Other than this Achilles, VW has been plenty durable.

I need Miguel to chime in on this for CAP swaps.

The swap I propose is this. I have not wavered about Andre Johnson (swap "U" for "U" dudes!). The Texans want Johnson to take a pay cut sooner than later. At the same age as VW, what does he have left? By his production with nothing at QB last year in Houston, plenty!

Strangely enough the Texans need a QB and not only does BO know Mallet, he knows VW as well. Can you see the Texans with J.J. Watt, Brian Cushing , number #1 pick Clowney and Vince Wilfork playing under Romeo? Add LB Mercilus as pretty good too.

Wilfork, Mallett, Amendola (they would need a serviceable starter and this is like an NBA trade in some sense with CAP benefits) plus our first round pick #29

For Andre Johnson (add for TB PLEASE!) and the Texans pick at #33 and perhaps a fifth?

The Texans have a year on seeing if Vince is back to Vince.

The Pats fans will not want to see VW leave.

The Texans Fans will not want to see Andre Johnson leave.

But, it is time.......

Mallet would come into a great running back situation with Foster and a decent up and coming TE in Graham and WR in Hopkins. Plus Mallet if familiar with Amendola.

In essence Mallett for #33 and Wilfork and Amendola for Andre Johnson.

It solves both logistical and emotional issues for both Teams.

BO, Romeo and BB can get together I am sure.

Makes sense to me? Thoughts?
DW Toys

If Tampa couldn't get a team to give up a pick for Revis nobody is going to for Wilfork, especially now that his request for release is public knowledge.

At first I thought this
In a word: no.

but then
1 word. 7 letters. Raiders

then I remember that there is no more Al Davis so back to my first impression. But a 33 year old DT coming off an Achilles tear with a 7.5 mil salary (and everyone else knows that he wants to be cut and is likely to be) -- yeah, nobody is going to pony up anything for that.

If Wilfork is being offered a new contract it is reasonable that he would assess his market value before agreeing to anything. I would expect he will discuss it with NE before making any decisions. By all accounts he is well liked here in NE (a few members excepted). I would not be surprised to see him return at a negoiated rate and receive thundering applause on opening day at Gillette.

while we are doing fairytale scenerios heres what i think happens

3 team trade, the browns, the texans, and the pats.

The browns get Vince, and Mallet, as well as houstons 1st pick in the second round, and the patriots 3rd rounder

The texans get hoyer, the patriots 4th rounder, and josh gordon.

The patriots get Andre Johnson

So you want to Trade wilfork, mallet and Amendola.

For a receiver on a huge contract with no guarantee that he'd restructure.

AND to move DOWN in the draft?

Smart GM'ing there

It amazes me how a lot of people just don't get the bit about how a trade causes all remaining amortized cap to hit you immediately.

According to Houston Texans Player Contracts, Salaries, & Transactions Andre johnson's cap the next 3 years is:

Year Salary Total Cap
2014 10,000,000 15,644,583
2015 10,500,000 16,144,583
2016 11,000,000 14,675,000

So if he is traded the Texans would have a 2014 cap hit of 14,964,166
A HUGE 680,417 of cap relief!!!!

They might be able to move 9,319,583 of that to 2015 to make room this year, though I don't remember if that's an option for trades (as opposed to cuts). But that 9M would then hit then next year anyway, and there have to be easier ways for them to shift money to next year and still keep their best players.

So if they want to dump Johnson that's one thing, buit cap relief isn't a good reason.

No one would trade for him when they know the Patriots have to cut him and he won't restructure.

It amazes me how a lot of people just don't get the bit about how a trade causes all remaining amortized cap to hit you immediately.

Human beings have an amazing capability to ignore facts that conflict with their fantasies.
Add in the love of many Boston fans for MLB style "hot stove" trade talk fantasy and you get these threads. Sometimes they even ignore the NFL trade deadline and post these inanities. Trust me, it happens here.

I doubt it for the reasons already well-stated by other posters.

Wilfork is in the driver's seat, which was what the CBA envisioned years ago.

Aye Laddie. Tis so.
FYI,
Wilfork is already being connected with the Texans Cousin.

Andre Johnson and the Texans both know he needs to take a pay cut.

What leveraging does Vince have? We have his rights, we can trade him. It happened yesterday to Sproles. Mrs. Michele Sproles went ballistic. She makes Bianca look like a choir girl. She would make a steam fitter blush. But................The Eagles made him Happy by upping him two years. Mr. Sproles might even have gotten lucky last night.

I do understand this just a tiny bit Cousins. There has to be some negotiated elements. Now Johnson, who will never ever see the back end of his deal has to listen to see if the Pats do like and kind.He has been told in no uncertain terms he needs a contract redo or pay cut.

So the Texans reup VW a couple. Just as an idea. If it's respect he wants, pay VW his $7.5mm this year and say $6mm in 2015 with an option of 2016 at $8mm. That's $21.5mm and a guarantee of say $10mm with options and $5mm of that up front as a signing bonus. He might never see 2016 but the Texans got him for $10mm and he gets his pissing contest $7.5mm. Bianca is happy. Romeo is happy. Someone is going to pay him at least $10mm for two because of what he was, if not more but we still own his rights and he can't shop.

Now the Pats mirror this at WR terms.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick