PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Sebastian Vollmer worth the big bucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It takes 1 idiot team with a desperate GM to take him away from us.

If it works out he looks like a genius, if it doesn't he gets fired and his successor gets to deal with the cap consequences.
That applies to a number of other OTs hitting FA. Everybody's not going to get overpaid.

Great points.....Vollmer when healthy is a very good OL....problem is the guy's lower back is an issue and he can not stay healthy for a full season...and it is going to only get worse. Time to draft another OL or two and move on....

I think Dante can coach the guys up in the regular season, but eventually talent or lack there of shows, usually in the playoffs when they get overpowered often in recent years.

Vollmer when healthy is an elite right tackle, he's never healthy though so we should move on and draft a tackle in the 2nd round, not something I want to do given all the holes on this team.

I think Vollmer is worth every dollar he gets paid... by another team. Like mentioned earlier some teams will view him as a LT and by the start of free agency he could be the top LT on the market (after re-signings and franchise tags). But with the Pats success in developing O-Lineman he simply doesn't have that kind of value here. Someone will pay him more money, likely to be a LT and good luck to him. He is a quality player and I have no doubt he can play LT, its simply a case of having more value to other teams than he does to us because we can replace him (or at least we believe we can).

I think Vollmer is worth every dollar he gets paid... by another team. Like mentioned earlier some teams will view him as a LT and by the start of free agency he could be the top LT on the market (after re-signings and franchise tags). But with the Pats success in developing O-Lineman he simply doesn't have that kind of value here. Someone will pay him more money, likely to be a LT and good luck to him. He is a quality player and I have no doubt he can play LT, its simply a case of having more value to other teams than he does to us because we can replace him (or at least we believe we can).

I still don't think anyone is going to pay him to be their LT. You just don't gamble on that.
Vollmer is an excellent RT, but his mobility has declined in the past year or two. Also, those back issues are not something to dismiss easily. Truth is, Vollmer has only played 5 games at LT, the last time being a few years ago as an injury replacement. Paying him big bucks to play LT seems like a reach. If you want to argue that he provides a team insurance having the ability fill-in at LT, then OK. But making him your main man protecting the backside of your franchise QB doesn't make good sense. JMO.

I still don't think anyone is going to pay him to be their LT. You just don't gamble on that.
Vollmer is an excellent RT, but his mobility has declined in the past year or two. Also, those back issues are not something to dismiss easily. Truth is, Vollmer has only played 5 games at LT, the last time being a few years ago as an injury replacement. Paying him big bucks to play LT seems like a reach. If you want to argue that he provides a team insurance having the ability fill-in at LT, then OK. But making him your main man protecting the backside of your franchise QB doesn't make good sense. JMO.

The issue teams are going to have is how many LT's are actually going to be on the market. Jake Long is declining and will command top dollar. Ryan Clady will be tagged. Brandon Albert will likely be re-signed or tagged. Will Beatty is the Giants top priority and likely to re-sign. Sam Baker is expected to re-sign. Then you have other RT's like Andre Smith, Phil Loadholt and Gosder Cherilus. Vollmer might actually be the best LT option in the free agent market. Add to that a relatively weak LT draft class with only 3 quality LT prospects and I think Vollmer's value could potentially be sky high. The back issue will definitely be a concern, but teams might not have a choice but to take a risk.

Paying a premium for a RT who can't play healthy often enough to make you feel secure that position is locked down because your LT who has been healthy might need to be backed up is one of the definitions of insanity. Can't pay everyone in a unit top 5 money. Mankins is already atop the LG tier, Solder will likely be in the top 5 in another year or two.

Vollmer is gigantic, and a beast when healthy. But when his back is ailing, he cannot move well at all. I'm really curious what is the nature of his back problem -- if there's a fix for it or just has to be managed. Seems more the latter.

And when Nate Solder gets injured for the season week one next year...?

The above statement is why I think Vollmer is so important to us. He's arguably the best RT in the NFL but he's a better than average LT too. I think Cannon is excellent cover but I'm not convinced he can hold down a Tackle position as a starter.
Did you use the wayback machine to go back to 2010 to post this?
He hasn't been anything of the sort since.

Did you use the wayback machine to go back to 2010 to post this?
He hasn't been anything of the sort since.

He hasn't been what since 2010? A better than average LT or one of the best RT's?

If the former as I suspect, well duh! He hasn't played there since 2009.

But

a) When he did he was more than effective in the role

and

b) shows the skills necessary to still fulfill the role; good feet, good strength.

So putting aside your pointless snark, I'd still rather have Vollmer being there to back up Solder if necessary than I would Marcus Cannon.

Vollmer has been a popular player here in NE during the past few years. Smart, tough, does his job. The kind of player you want to keep around. Still, there are economic realities and there has to be a financial line you won't cross. For me, it is 4yrs/$25m. More than that and it's vielen dank and auf wiedersehen...

Tiger II
Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger II

Even larger and heavier than the Tiger I the Königstiger was the largest and most powerful tank released by German forces during the war. It had the firepower to knock out virtually any Allied tank and enough armor to shrug off most Allied firepower at the time (excluding hollow charge weapons), but it suffered from multiple mechanical problems due to its rushed development and excessive weight.

Chronic back issues now the knee...I dunno.

Despite the back and the knee, Vollmer played in 17 of 18 games last season, and the only one missed was a Thursday night game. His performance did seem to wane down the stretch, but that may have been more on account of his knee situation than his back. Even so, he was still out there playing instead of Marcus Cannon.

If the back situation is something the Pats feel they can manage going forward as they did last season, he is worth the big bucks, and, hopefully, he can be resigned before free agency or after to a long-term contract.

I like Vollmer as a player, great to have a versatile player who can play left and right tackle well but, I think this team can replace him fairly easily. Dante is probably the best offensive line coach in the league and develops good linemen like they're coming out of style. Vollmer is injury prone and I didn't think they were too much worse without him. I'd rather spend the money on a wide receiver or a corner/safety. What do you guys think?

There are tons of 6'8" all pro tackles who can play both positions...

Oh, I mean there aren't. Where do you get the idea that we can manufacture those players? Look at the high first round tackle busts, we had one on the roster last year.

Chronic back issues now the knee...I dunno.

Fer crissake. He had an arthroscopic procedure on his knee. Are you going to wait for a lineman that is impervious to injury? He plays every game, that's what counts. Lineman have bad backs, knees and shoulders for most of their careers. Thge ones who can play with them, have careers, others don't.

It takes 1 idiot team with a desperate GM to take him away from us.

If it works out he looks like a genius, if it doesn't he gets fired and his successor gets to deal with the cap consequences.

There are no idiots that will pay Sebastian Vollmer like a top LT

He hasn't been what since 2010? A better than average LT or one of the best RT's?

If the former as I suspect, well duh! He hasn't played there since 2009.

But

a) When he did he was more than effective in the role

and

b) shows the skills necessary to still fulfill the role; good feet, good strength.

So putting aside your pointless snark, I'd still rather have Vollmer being there to back up Solder if necessary than I would Marcus Cannon.
He hasn't been EITHER since 2010.

i think he is...a very good RT

Fer crissake. He had an arthroscopic procedure on his knee. Are you going to wait for a lineman that is impervious to injury? He plays every game, that's what counts. Lineman have bad backs, knees and shoulders for most of their careers. Thge ones who can play with them, have careers, others don't.

:confused:

He's missed 11 games in the past 2 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News