PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is safety a position in place for 2010 or in need of an upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'd be surprised to c a corner or safety drafted unless there is a super highly valued one available

I say we trade Sanders......or McGowan (who i like)

Why? For what? A 5th round pick? They are more valuable on the team.

Unless they pick up Rodney 2.0 that makes no sense.

Last edited:
Safety is fine. Bring in some ST types for battling it out through camp and thats it. Taking a safety early makes about as much sense as trading Brady.

Why? For what? A 5th round pick? They are more valuable on the team.

Unless they pick up Rodney 2.0 that makes no sense.

well if i see a player we need and trading either of them would help us get him, then i would make a trade.
Won't trade either for a 5th but the market changes.

I think Meri is very solid but unspectacular. I think Sanders is an average player and McGowan is an over-achiever. Chung hasn't show much but has had limited opportunity to still hard to say if Pats feels his is living up to potential.

I would have to think that Coach B loves his dominant, big-0
hitting guy and I honestly wouldn't mind see thm taking oneof the top guys in this year's draft. I know they have to fix pass ruch first and foremost but I also don't believe that has to be where they spend their first pick.

My money would be that they want a DE, OLB or S in that order but, depending on how draft falls, I would not be shocked to see them draft a S if they feel that is the best value.

If Rolle's available, I think we have to take a long, hard look at him for sure. Safety definitely isn't a priority, and we have one of the deepest groups in the NFL already, but you can always get better.

well if i see a player we need and trading either of them would help us get him, then i would make a trade.
Won't trade either for a 5th but the market changes.

Of course if there is an opportunity that presents itself anyone can be traded- especially backup safeties.

But not until then. I'd like to see McGowan better in coverage, but overall he brings a nice physicallity back there.

Sanders is steady if not unspectacular.

Last edited:
Safety is fine. Bring in some ST types for battling it out through camp and thats it. Taking a safety early makes about as much sense as trading Brady.

With Belichick you never know what he will do

I can bet no one outside of the Pats F.O. had any idea that Watson was going in round one in 2004

the pats are young and deep at safety. when was the last time we ever said that about the pats young and deep. no 35 year olds just good young players

Last edited:
Maybe having to run to Wilhites side every snap to try and get to the receiver that got away from Wilhite wore him down over the fall months? :)

Can we end the "Wheatley & Wilhite" experiment. Enuf of these midget CB's

No to sharper.

He's a fan favorite because of his "big plays" but he routinely blows coverage giving up the big play.

Safety is one of the strongest and deepest positions on the team.

Deepest, yes. But strongest, no way. Sanders just might be the worst starter on this team last year and got benched. Worse than any OL for sure. Worse than Maroney. Worse than Guyton. I would call Sanders' resigning last year the strangest off-season decision of BB's career here. McGowan was very inconsistent and got benched as well. Chung was not able to break the starting lineup for whatever reason. Hopefully either Chung or McGowan will develop into a legit starting safety this year. Either way, I don't think there's enough room on the roster for Sharper unless we cut Sanders, which I don't think BB will.

Deepest, yes. But strongest, no way. Sanders just might be the worst starter on this team last year and got benched. Worse than any OL for sure. Worse than Maroney. Worse than Guyton. I would call Sanders' resigning last year the strangest off-season decision of BB's career here. McGowan was very inconsistent and got benched as well. Chung was not able to break the starting lineup for whatever reason. Hopefully either Chung or McGowan will develop into a legit starting safety this year. Either way, I don't think there's enough room on the roster for Sharper unless we cut Sanders, which I don't think BB will.

We'll simply agree to disagree. You are way too harsh in your assessment in Sanders, and conveniently fail to mention how markedly the secondary improved when he was re-inserted into the starting lineup in the second half of the season.

Of course, like Maroney Derangement Syndrome, overblown hatred of Sanders is a religion for some here, for whatever reason.

We'll simply agree to disagree. You are way too harsh in your assessment in Sanders, and conveniently fail to mention how markedly the secondary improved when he was re-inserted into the starting lineup in the second half of the season.

Of course, like Maroney Derangement Syndrome, overblown hatred of Sanders is a religion for some here, for whatever reason.

Because it is easy to see when a RB misses a "gaping hole" from the TV's advantage point. And it easier to notice when a DB takes a bad angle or gets beat to the point by a receiver than it is to notice a DL get his ass blown off the ball or an OL miss a block.

I used to think Sanders just simply took bad angles, but more and more I believe he doesn't have great speed and simply gets beat to the point. But either way he is solid, but due to the reasons I mentioned above it easy for the -not sure what the word is here- Casual fan? - Less educated fan? - to point out flaws in the backfield on both sides of the ball then it is in the interior.

Because it is easy to see when a RB misses a "gaping hole" from the TV's advantage point. And it easier to notice when a DB takes a bad angle or gets beat to the point by a receiver than it is to notice a DL get his ass blown off the ball or an OL miss a block.

I used to think Sanders just simply took bad angles, but more and more I believe he doesn't have great speed and simply gets beat to the point. But either way he is solid, but due to the reasons I mentioned above it easy for the -not sure what the word is here- Casual fan? - Less educated fan? - to point out flaws in the backfield on both sides of the ball then it is in the interior.

I never claimed he was more than solid, and I don't think anyone would ever accuse him of having great speed.

But if you were to believe the DWToys and buckys of this forum, you'd think we'd have a C.C. Brown clone on our hands.

Personally I like Sanders.....as a backup and a STer that is.

I don't think he is good enough as an everyday starter

I never claimed he was more than solid, and I don't think anyone would ever accuse him of having great speed.

But if you were to believe the DWToys and buckys of this forum, you'd think we'd have a C.C. Brown clone on our hands.

I don't know who CC Brown is. I do believe that Sanders is not a starting quality NFL safety. Is he solid and consistent? Sure he is. He is consistently 1-2 steps away from making a play on the ball. He consistently fails to get his hands on the ball or force fumbles. Therefore, he consistently puts up way below-average statistics in every game-changing defensive category - INTs, passes defensed, Force fumbles, recovered fumbles, sacks.

I don't know who CC Brown is. I do believe that Sanders is not a starting quality NFL safety. Is he solid and consistent? Sure he is. He is consistently 1-2 steps away from making a play on the ball. He consistently fails to get his hands on the ball or force fumbles. Therefore, he consistently puts up way below-average statistics in every game-changing defensive category - INTs, passes defensed, Force fumbles, recovered fumbles, sacks.

Right. So while he could be upgraded, he is solid, dependable, and not a liability.

Ostensibly, they already have his replacement as a starting FS (?) in Chung.

I liked McGowan early on, but I truly believe his lack of discipline hurt the team. BB always says "do your job," and when players don't buy into that mantra, they expose the rest of the team by blowing their assignments. I don't mind if McGowan stays on for special team duty and spot play, but the improvements in the secondary's consistency and communication once Sanders was reinserted into the lineup were remarkable.

I like Chung a lot. He was my favorite safety in the draft last year, and I have no doubt he'll make a huge jump his second year. I do, however, want to bring in one more guy: Chad Jones. We'd have to spend a second on him, and many would quite legitimately argue that's over-investing in one position at the expense of more pressing needs, but I think Jones is perfect for our defense.

He's surprisingly fluid in coverage for a 6'3, #230 man, and he hits harder than most linebackers I've ever seen. He can stuff the run up in the box, reacts well to the ball as a deep centerfielder, and can come down and cover the slot receiver with shocking success for a big guy. Apparently he's also the best athlete on the entire LSU team. From everything I've seen and heard, he's a highly intelligent, hard-working player who currently splits his time between football and baseball while still maintaining solid grades. If he has the opportunity to focus solely on football, he'll really take off. Perfect for our hybrid S/LB position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News