PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is safety a position in place for 2010 or in need of an upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Meriweather is of course pegged in for Free Safety with McGowan,Sanders and Chung sharing roles in both SS and FS but is there still a need to look for an addition to challenge for a spot or is Safety strong and set in stone for 2010?

I am asking this because it was announced yesterday that Darren Sharper who is as good as ever at 34 years old as he proved last season but he is not being retained by the Saints and is looking for about 4 Million

Antrel Rolle also yesterday is reported to be expected to be released by the Cardinals as well by the end of the week,but his price could be higher than Sharper.

I think Rolle could also be used as a CB but he played his best of his career when he made the change to Safety last season for the Cardinals.

Is there a need or either of these guys? or do we just forget this position as being in place and focus on FA LBs,CBs and DL?

Safety is one of the strongest and deepest positions on the team.

Of course I'd love to have Rolle, but it's about priority #258 on the list.

Meriweather is of course pegged in for Free Safety with McGowan,Sanders and Chung sharing roles in both SS and FS but is there still a need to look for an addition to challenge for a spot or is Safety strong and set in stone for 2010?

I am asking this because it was announced yesterday that Darren Sharper who is as good as ever at 34 years old as he proved last season but he is not being retained by the Saints and is looking for about 4 Million

Antrel Rolle also yesterday is reported to be expected to be released by the Cardinals as well by the end of the week,but his price could be higher than Sharper.

I think Rolle could also be used as a CB but he played his best of his career when he made the change to Safety last season for the Cardinals.

Is there a need or either of these guys? or do we just forget this position as being in place and focus on FA LBs,CBs and DL?

The team is fine with Merriweather, Chung and Sanders. Could use a vet back there I guess.

The issue is tackling and bad angles w/ Meri. He addresses that he is and all-pro.

I like Chung. He'll be pretty good. He hits harder than Sanders.

Sanders is steady.

A vet couldn't hurt, but Rolle is not the answer. Sharper? Hmm. Could always use a ballhawk back there.

Safety is one of the strongest and deepest positions on the team.

Of course I'd love to have Rolle, but it's about priority #258 on the list.

I have to agree with Safety being the strongest part of the team but you never know what fans here think about depth.

I do think Rolle may be an attractive option, but the fact that he was an average CB and MUCH better at Safety may rule him out.

The Dolphins already announced that they are EXTREMELY interested in Rolle the minute this news got put out from Arizona.

The team is fine with Merriweather, Chung and Sanders. Could use a vet back there I guess.

The issue is tackling and bad angles w/ Meri. He addresses that he is and all-pro.

I like Chung. He'll be pretty good. He hits harder than Sanders.

Sanders is steady.

A vet couldn't hurt, but Rolle is not the answer. Sharper? Hmm. Could always use a ballhawk back there.

You're forgetting McGowan, but I agree.

I see the eventual starters as Meriweather and Chung, with Sanders as the third safety.

I have to agree with Safety being the strongest part of the team but you never know what fans here think about depth.

I do think Rolle may be an attractive option, but the fact that he was an average CB and MUCH better at Safety may rule him out.

The Dolphins already announced that they are EXTREMELY interested in Rolle the minute this news got put out from Arizona.

That makes sense. Jason Allen was an epic bust and Yeremiah Bell isn't getting any younger. I don't even know who starts for them at the other safety position.

Rolle went to the U, though, and may like to return to Miami. Here's hoping he doesn't.

I am surprised the team gave McGowan a 2 year deal...Usually Belichick gives a FA a 1 year prove it deal...otherwise McGowan might not have been back as he was strong in the fall months but was so bad in december that Sanders replaced him.

That makes sense. Jason Allen was an epic bust and Yeremiah Bell isn't getting any younger. I don't even know who starts for them at the other safety position.

Rolle went to the U, though, and may like to return to Miami. Here's hoping he doesn't.

Yep,I respect Parcells so much that ANY move he makes in FA scares me to death...He is mighty good at getting players to fit his system and more often than not the guys he signs plays well for him.

You're forgetting McGowan, but I agree.

I see the eventual starters as Meriweather and Chung, with Sanders as the third safety.

It was interesting w/ him last year. He went from playing 95-100% of the snaps and then 40-50% of the snaps after the NO game.

My assumption is that he was either hurt and that limited him or plateaued in the system...?

It was interesting w/ him last year. He went from playing 95-100% of the snaps and then 40-50% of the snaps after the NO game.

My assumption is that he was either hurt and that limited him or plateaued in the system...?

Yeah, that was confusing to me, as well.

Perhaps his "reckless abandon" style of play took a toll on his body and he simply wore down too quickly?

Maybe having to run to Wilhites side every snap to try and get to the receiver that got away from Wilhite wore him down over the fall months? :)

2 good cornerbacks make a Safeties job that much easier

I really like our depth at Safety, and hope to see Chung starting alongside Meriweather next season. I don't see the need, although a fourth round flyer on Rolle wouldn't be a disaster if we can get an extra pick or two from somewhere.

Maybe having to run to Wilhites side every snap to try and get to the receiver that got away from Wilhite wore him down over the fall months? :)

I don't recall Wilhite losing his receiver like that... Wilhite didn't seem to lose his man so much as not playing the ball well.

Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu say hi ;)

Neither of those play on a team with great CB play.

Their defense is young and i get the impression he was freelancing somewhat. Meriweather's young too, but the oft maligned Sanders, is apparently a hard working student of BB and was promoted to provide stability.

I don't think it reflects poorly of McGowan, it's simply a young defense that needed stability more than playmaking in the short term. Look at the secondary. Including vets just traded for, there's no one that's been there more than a year or two. Sanders is a grizzled vet.:D

we are 100% fine at the S spot

safety is our most stacked position, no need for depth either just training camp fodder. We are young, athletic, and becoming very experienced there

I see the 4th safety as being more of a spot for a developmental player--a late-round pick who will sacrifice his body on ST. Like Slater, only with the potential to actually play the position someday. Maybe a 230 lb nickel linebacker type.

I would not be surprised to see another safety drafted. One with versatility to play CB. We could have a DB group that could play all positions depending on the opponent

I say we trade Sanders......or McGowan (who i like)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes