PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Peyton toast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to judge Peyton. I compared a preseason game from last year to this year and he has the same noodly throws and lob passes.

That's useful. I saw a little of one of their preseason games a few days ago and was stunned at how bad his throws were, in every way: strength, direction, timing. But none of the receivers were getting open and I'm not knowledgeable enough about football to know how to diagnose the root causes.

I believe he was playing injured late last year. Even so, he's not the threat he once was.
Negatives aside, the state of QBing in NYJFL teams is so bad these days that he remains a serious threat to make the playoffs. Only the emergence of unexpected new star players in Denver will let them win post season.

That's useful. I saw a little of one of their preseason games a few days ago and was stunned at how bad his throws were, in every way: strength, direction, timing. But none of the receivers were getting open and I'm not knowledgeable enough about football to know how to diagnose the root causes.

I saw that too. He was, at times, off target but I also saw a few third down drops etc.... I have to think that those drops and his accuracy will improve during the season.

I saw that too. He was, at times, off target but I also saw a few third down drops etc.... I have to think that those drops and his accuracy will improve during the season.

He's still able to compete the short stuff but his velocity is so weak that DBs make up the ground on anything over 15 yards. I think he's going to have his worst season as a pro, Osweiler may end up replacing him, and he retires at seasons end.

He used to be plain white toast....

Now he's stale and brittle...like Melba toast...

He's still able to compete the short stuff but his velocity is so weak that DBs make up the ground on anything over 15 yards. I think he's going to have his worst season as a pro, Osweiler may end up replacing him, and he retires at seasons end.

Which will be a sad ending. I hope our guy doesn't let that happen.

Hes 39. He had leg injuries last year. He has numbness in his fingers. He wore a glove at practice this weekend. He looked really, really bad at the end of the year.

Injuries or no injuries he absolutely does not have the same zip on the ball when he did earlier in his career and he does not have the arm strength to overcompensate for another leg injury.

Which will be a sad ending. I hope our guy doesn't let that happen.

TB12 still has that tight, fastball and his throwing mechanics are perfect. What has been a pleasant surprise is that his mobility seems better now than it was 4 years ago (which maybe isn't saying much but the less hits your take at 38 the better).

Clearly the commitment to his diet, exercise, conditioning and that disgusting sounding avocado ice cream are paying huge dividends.

Peyton strikes me as a guy who keeps himself in great shape. I think hes been a little less fortunate than Tom injury wise.

I only saw him in one pre-season game, but what stood out to me was his foot work. He looked extremely slow getting to his drops. If that continues we'll see a descent drop off in his production.

IMO. If he has a bad season it will have more to do with the "new" or modified Kubiak offense or his OL not giving him protection etc.. than Peyton's physical decline. But clearly Peyton is playing one of his last seasons.

Wouldn't mind seeing another Brady vs Peyton show down.

Hes 39. He had leg injuries last year. He has numbness in his fingers. He wore a glove at practice this weekend. He looked really, really bad at the end of the year.

Injuries or no injuries he absolutely does not have the same zip on the ball when he did earlier in his career and he does not have the arm strength to overcompensate for another leg injury.

This decline reminds me a bit of Unitas's.

This decline reminds me a bit of Unitas's.
I can't go that far back but I do remember Dan Marino at the end. Very, very similar.

Some QB's can get it done at a latter age and some can't. Montana lost his zip but still had his legs. Same with Steve Young. Elway lost most of his mobility but still had a better arm and leg strength at 38 than most at 28. Favre fell off a cliff. So did Jim Kelly. Warren Moon still had his arm strength but lost his legs and became wild. Same with Fouts. Everyone ends

I am concerned that they are asking Tom at his age to chuck it 600 times a year but when you still got it, why slow down?

I can't go that far back but I do remember Dan Marino at the end. Very, very similar.

Some QB's can get it done at a latter age and some can't. Montana lost his zip but still had his legs. Same with Steve Young. Elway lost most of his mobility but still had a better arm and leg strength at 38 than most at 28. Favre fell off a cliff. So did Jim Kelly. Warren Moon still had his arm strength but lost his legs and became wild. Same with Fouts. Everyone ends

This is a reminder about how few go out anywhere near the top of their game.

Is Peyton toast?

I always thought, what with the whole teabagging thing, that he was a crepe...or some sort of weird dough.

His preseason arm strength was terrible. He is getting by on guile and timing, this will br inadequate to beat quality teams.

He will pass Farve for passing yards and reg season wins, 1 and done then retire.

He is done.

Short answer is mostly. He might still go 30 TDs 14 Ints for 4500 yards but will not look good doing it and come the playoffs he will be 1 and done cause the Broncos are truly a team set up to be worse by the end of the year not better.

I won't believe that Peyton is toast until I'm spreading butter on him, then throwing him away because toast is boring.

What I am interested to see is how Gary Kubiak utilizes Manning's strengths and minimizes weaknesses within the framework of his offense.

This type of offense was always tailored to quarterbacks like Elway, Plummer, Cutler, RG3 (pre injury), Flacco... guys who could move around in the pocket and/or had cannon arms.

Manning does not fit the mold, so I am curious to see if the Broncos feature the running game more or curtail the passing playbook to compensate for Manning's physical limitations at this point of his career.

As soon as the cold weather comes, Peyton is done.

One and done.

UNLESS, he's on some sort of performance enhancing drug. His arm is done.

Peyton is toast, but I expect him to have a great September and October.

At least my fantasy team hopes so :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick