PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Mankins play worth 6.5M more than Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even see how this is arguable right now. Ever since Mankins came back, Brady consistently has had all day to throw and the RBs have had big holes to run through.

When you're citing:

and it's Belichick/Kraft who's made the offer, no, you can't legitimately continue disagreeing by using that sort of argument.

Oh. I didn't understand his argument completely. Well played

Mankins has shown he is a leader on that line -- a talented, ferocious player. He deserves to be paid as an elite guard. For NE, BB and the Krafts have to weigh their alternatives. Lose a surefire ProBowl guard who makes the job of his fellow lineman better by relying on a draft choice who may at best perform adequately. A bird in hand is worth a few in the bush.....?

Interior linemen play well into their 30's without much deterioration. By all measures, Mankins is worth a long-term, top- level deal. His impact on the whole makes it greater than the sum of the parts. The question is not if Mankins is that much better than Connolly, but is Connolly going to be better than Neal.

Mankins has shown he is a leader on that line -- a talented, ferocious player. He deserves to be paid as an elite guard. For NE, BB and the Krafts have to weigh their alternatives. Lose a surefire ProBowl guard who makes the job of his fellow lineman better by relying on a draft choice who may at best perform adequately. A bird in hand is worth a few in the bush.....?

thats not really the choice it's pay a guard 7.5 mill and yes he is a great pro bowler

Or use that money somewhere else and hope that neil/connoly/ornberger develop with other draft picks

Personally i think there are pro's and cons to both options and mankins has played great all year since he has been back

Belichick and the Patriots offered Nick Mangold type money to Mankins.

What's so hard to understand?
Nothing. We need to pay the man, yesterday.

There's few Pats who I'd break the bank for - Mankins is one. He's one of our three best players. You don't let players of his calibre walk.

Does anyone think he'll stay if offered the money given all the water under the bridge.

I truly don't know.

Seems like he wanted out anyway.

This is surely a consideration.

thats not really the choice it's pay a guard 7.5 mill and yes he is a great pro bowler. Or use that money somewhere else and hope that neil/connoly/ornberger develop with other draft picks.

This is a false choice. We can't project what it would cost to replace him. There's no way this team will let him go and also lose Neal to retirement and the role the dice on both positions being taken by low round draft picks or scrap heap vets. They will have to pay reasonable money to fill at least one of the positions, either through free agency or a high draft pick. So it isn't 7M vs. .5M. It is more like 7M vs. 3M.

Just reach a fair settlement and pay him.

Mankins has shown he is every bit worthy of being a 1st round pick and has exceeded expectations. He is not just a Guard and is being mentioned as the best NE offensive lineman since John Hannah.

I guess they have to think about why they made him a first round pick in the first place. I don't remember anyone agreeing with where they took him. Virtually everyone said it was a reach.
The next question would be, did he live up to the pick?
Then did he exceed expectations?
Then, is he among the top 3 at the position?
Is your team better with him?
If all the answers are yes--pay the man.

It seems like Mankins creates an attitude that spreads throughout the O-line and and makes everybody else on the line play better. Pay him, as long as it doesn't mean we lose somebody more important.

It seems like Mankins creates an attitude that spreads throughout the O-line and and makes everybody else on the line play better. Pay him, as long as it doesn't mean we lose somebody more important.

To me that's the key point. Remember, resources aren't infinite. Every dollar you pay one person leaves less for another guy.

Can we get another guard that gives us 90% of the performance (on and off the field and how the player affects team performance) for 25%* of the price? I think the answer to that question is "yes", so I wouldn't break the bank for Mankins.

(*just a number off the top of my head that you can get a starting OG for)

Last edited:
Pay him. Just pay him!

Mankins and his agent are probably really pissed at Connolly. The JAG comes in here and fills in at LG pretty well and then shifts over to RG and continues on. All the while, Mankins is losing his leverage as the fans finally realize that.....guard is the last position of the starting 22 where you should lock up your money.

Mankins and his agent are probably really pissed at Connolly. The JAG comes in here and fills in at LG pretty well and then shifts over to RG and continues on. All the while, Mankins is losing his leverage as the fans finally realize that.....guard is the last position of the starting 22 where you should lock up your money.

Mike Holmgren believed that and regretted it big time.

What I use to price players is a simple economic theory called supply and demand. The draft is a reflection of demand.

so in last year's draft, there were only 3 guards picked in the first 2 rounds, I think the kid of of UMASS was basically the last pick of the 2nd round, so lets say 2 guards in the top 60 picks and 3 guards in the first 64 picks.

So what i'd conclude is that either (A) 29 teams that passed twice on guards in the first two rounds have such a badass group of talent at that position (considering you play 2 guards, that mean 58 pro-bowl level guards are out there) or (B) GMs don't want to pay guards top money awarded to early draft picks

What I use to price players is a simple economic theory called supply and demand. The draft is a reflection of demand.

so in last year's draft, there were only 3 guards picked in the first 2 rounds, I think the kid of of UMASS was basically the last pick of the 2nd round, so lets say 2 guards in the top 60 picks and 3 guards in the first 64 picks.

So what i'd conclude is that either (A) 29 teams that passed twice on guards in the first two rounds have such a badass group of talent at that position (considering you play 2 guards, that mean 58 pro-bowl level guards are out there) or (B) GMs don't want to pay guards top money awarded to early draft picks

Don't know how many times this has to be pointed out, but Kraft stated that the team had offered Mangold-type money to Mankins. Connolly's play obviously didn't undercut Mankins' position very much..

Last edited:
Don't know how many times this has to be pointed out, but Kraft stated that the team had offered Mangold-type money to Mankins. Connolly's play obviously didn't undercut Mankins' position very much..

Wrong.

You leave off one critical factor. Maybe it was an innocent mistake on your part, or maybe it was on purpose, who knows.

The offer was made BEFORE the Pats went 6-1 with Connolly at LG. Your post wrongly insinuates that the offer was made after seeing what life was like without him.

Once again, Cold Hard Football Facts' Kerry Byrne mentioned in the above noted article that the Pats OL is ranked #3 at this point with Mankins in there. They were ranked #1 after 7 games without him.

Overall, I do believe Mankins makes the line better. Depending on the salary cap in the future, I trust BB to make the right decisions for the team in its entirety.

I still believe last week was an anomaly and that the Pats Defense needs ALOT of help going forward. If there is a salary cap and if there is limited financial room, the highest priority would be on the defensive side of the ball. If there's room after that, then I'd love to wrap Mankins up for the next 6 years.

Last edited:
????

We have a probowl quality LG who will be a free agent.

1) I agree that interior linemen coming out in the draft rarely command top dollar. Of course, we were interested in two such players in the 2009 draft. Both were gone by the time we picked in the first round.

3) Most LG's were LT's in college.

4) I strongly agree that the value of a probowl guard is a matter of supply and demand. How much would you expect to pay for a healthy all-pro quality LG who you know would fit in with the patriots system? Do YOU think we should pay that much?

5) It is said that Mankins was offered Mangold-type money. Is that really too much? I don't think so. We don't know the details of the offer, but the ballpark amount seems reasonable.
=======

BOTTOM LINE
The market will be set in the offseason. As in 2010, the patriots and Mankins will make their decisions. The first decision would be by the patriots. They could franchise Mankins. Then Mankins could decide whether to sign for ONLY $12M for one year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore