PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Josh McDaniels the luckiest man in the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots were lucky that McDaniels came free with O'Brien leaving. Lucky or not, Josh is a top O.C. and I hate to think what we might have had for an O.C. had he not been available. That said, sure, ANY O.C. would love to have this to work with. Last year's offense largely returning and adding Lloyd and Gaffney - are you kidding me ?

Not to be Debbie Downer but minus Light.

Don't get me wrong Matt "False Start" Light was frustrating as heck. That said, he was darn good.

One more way in which Josh is lucky is that NEM no longer posts here.

Not to be Debbie Downer but minus Light.

Don't get me wrong Matt "False Start" Light was frustrating as heck. That said, he was darn good.

That's why we drafted Solder. Solder is bigger, longer, and more athletic than Light. Of course it is only going to be his sophmore year but if Solder steps up, this offensive line could be 'lights out' for the NFL. And scoring records will fall! Also don't forget that we have Gallery and Cannon in the pipeline to insure against Vollmer back issues.

A healthy Oline of Solder-Mankins-Connolly-Waters-Vollmer could be the strongest we've had in years. The depth that we have with McDonald, Koppen, Cannon, and Gallery is also excellent. And one of McDonald or Gallery might be a starter for us.

McDaniels is going to have fun with Lloyd

I don't like our oline moving forward. We picked up a high first round graded jag, albeit coming from the cess pool that is Oakland...then there is solder, who got bullied around a bit and didn't seem that stable in pass pro to me. If he bulked up in the right places in the offseason this could easily change. Cannon is legit, hopefully his health stays the course. Vollmer...back and concussions, come on now...
I want a hot shot interior line man, dare I say stud, in next years draft, an ornery smart son of a ***** to lead this line in years to come.

Wr and rb are in good shape...need to start looking at the defense as well...I think spikes leaves us as well, depends on Hightower though.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I don't like our oline moving forward. We picked up a high first round graded jag, albeit coming from the cess pool that is Oakland...then there is solder, who got bullied around a bit and didn't seem that stable in pass pro to me. If he bulked up in the right places in the offseason this could easily change. Cannon is legit, hopefully his health stays the course. Vollmer...back and concussions, come on now...
I want a hot shot interior line man, dare I say stud, in next years draft, an ornery smart son of a ***** to lead this line in years to come.

Wr and rb are in good shape...need to start looking at the defense as well...I think spikes leaves us as well, depends on Hightower though.

What is it about this OL you don't like moving forward?

Solder - Mankins - Koppen - Waters - Vollmer

Cannon, Connolly, MAcdonald, Weddel and Gallery.

4 out of our starting 5 OL have made Pro Bowls/All Pro Teams. Cannon proved last year he is very good, Connolly proved last year he is a capable starting centre/guard, Gallery has proven over the last nnumber of years he's an NFL calibre G/T.

You could actually argue that our 2nd string OL wouldn't be a bottom 5 NFL starting line

There would be 30+ teams in the NFL who would kill not only for a starting OL like that but also that sort of depth.

Last edited:
Not only the offense but the whole Patriots team appears to be stacked. And this year that defense should be able to get off the field.

Josh was way too young and green to be a Head Coach when he left and I said as much. He is in the perfect position now; shielded from the press behind the Iron Curtain at Gillette and prevented for making personnel moves with the approval of one of the best in the business.

What is it about this OL you don't like moving forward?

Solder - Mankins - Koppen - Waters - Vollmer

Cannon, Connolly, MAcdonald, Weddel and Gallery.

4 out of our starting 5 OL have made Pro Bowls/All Pro Teams. Cannon proved last year he is very good, Connolly proved last year he is a capable starting centre/guard, Gallery has proven over the last nnumber of years he's an NFL calibre G/T.

You could actually argue that our 2nd string OL wouldn't be a bottom 5 NFL starting line

There would be 30+ teams in the NFL who would kill not only for a starting OL like that but also that sort of depth.

Assuming guys like Vollmer are resigned, we could have an OL in 2015 of:
Solder-Mankins-Connolly-Cannon-Vollmer

That includes no draft choices or FAs.
I don't know how you can not feel comfortable about the long range shape of the OL.

Whatever became of that old fool? Last I heard he got arrested outside of Charlie Weiss's house wearing a teddy and too much make-up

That was funny, but you should seriously change your screen name. Its pretty offensive.

Not sure, but I've been a lucky fan since 2000 (and really since Kraft bought the team).

What don't I like about the line?
Vollmer has had injury histories with two different compounding areas, head and back. a bad back on a body that large cab be trouble enough, head injuries, well we have all seen the news lately...

Solder has the feet, question is can he bring the requisite anchor against a bull, and show some strength in the run game. Reports say he has bulked up, I'm sure this will help his cause. I'm just not sold until I can witness the fruits of his offseason labor.

Cannon looked great, hope he can keep it up.

Mankins had a short season and now a knee injury, isn't getting younger and has been over run in big games. Don't get me wrong he is a great player and the type to build a team around.

Waters has been "contemplating" retirement for how long now? Favre anyone? Is his head in it or is it a pay check?

I have also between clamoring for a big beast center for a while...that's what I see in the line. Granted it is a very good one, if there was going to be any improvement upon this offense, this is where I would look to upgrade. Keep in mind an "a+" line can make a "c" RB look "a-" and that "b-" passing game "b+".

where else would you realistically look at this team and feel that more talent is needed? The defense aquired numerous new toys through the draft, and a few interesting vet additions have brought some serious competition and depth into the skill positions.

The fact that Edelman (as much as I love the kid) is certainly on the bubble at best from our half ****ed, misinformed projections says enough about the state of both wr and db.

What don't I like about the line?
Vollmer has had injury histories with two different compounding areas, head and back. a bad back on a body that large cab be trouble enough, head injuries, well we have all seen the news lately...

Solder has the feet, question is can he bring the requisite anchor against a bull, and show some strength in the run game. Reports say he has bulked up, I'm sure this will help his cause. I'm just not sold until I can witness the fruits of his offseason labor.

Cannon looked great, hope he can keep it up.

Mankins had a short season and now a knee injury, isn't getting younger and has been over run in big games. Don't get me wrong he is a great player and the type to build a team around.

Waters has been "contemplating" retirement for how long now? Favre anyone? Is his head in it or is it a pay check?

I have also between clamoring for a big beast center for a while...that's what I see in the line. Granted it is a very good one, if there was going to be any improvement upon this offense, this is where I would look to upgrade. Keep in mind an "a+" line can make a "c" RB look "a-" and that "b-" passing game "b+".

where else would you realistically look at this team and feel that more talent is needed? The defense aquired numerous new toys through the draft, and a few interesting vet additions have brought some serious competition and depth into the skill positions.

The fact that Edelman (as much as I love the kid) is certainly on the bubble at best from our half ****ed, misinformed projections says enough about the state of both wr and db.

The same logic you're using on the OL can be applied to both the WR, DB, and really any positions to make them appear to be a point of weakness. There are very few football players in the league who are among the best at their position, in their prime, and injury free, and there are zero teams that have one at every position. I think the OL will need a few draft picks thrown its way for depth and possibly upgrades if one of the kids doesn't pan out. The Pats have one of the best OL coaches in the league, a solid pool of talent, and haven't had a below average line in a decade; I find it difficult to not like it now and looking forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft