PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Jacoby Brissett our future at QB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, his deal is up in four years and Brady still won't be close to hanging them up. Brady's successor is in junior high right now.

When we drafted him and I checked out his college highlights, I didn't have very high expectations of him. Just kind of never stood out to me. However, with all the attention on Jimmy this offseason I think we may have overlooked Jacoby's performance this pre season. Key words of course are pre season, but Jacoby finished:

38/56, 387 yards, 1 TD 0 INT 94.3 passer rating

Compared to Garoppolo:

36/54, 406 yards, 1 TD 0 INT 95.1

Regardless of Jimmy's performance in these first four games, there's little chance that he's going to be our QB of the future after Brady. Mostly that's Brady's fault because he still is in the prime of his career and Jimmy can't ride the bench another 3-4 years. So does that leave us with Jacoby Brissett to take over at QB? Do you feel as confident in him as you did in Jimmy's rookie year after his pre-season performance?

I really liked what I saw from him. Has a cannon of an arm but decent touch on some of his passes. Maybe we even get to see him for games 3 and 4 if Jimmy just doesn't quite cut it the first two weeks.
Comparing preseason stats between Brissett and Garoppolo is completely irrelevant, it tells you nothing. They both were working on different things with different supporting casts against different competition. It's apples to oranges to kiwi fruit. It's too early to tell anything about these players, and still will be too early a month from now.

I could see if Jimmy has a rough spell during one of the 4 games JB coming in

I could see if Jimmy has a rough spell during one of the 4 games JB coming in
Highly doubtful, as Brissett knows the offense but a fraction of what Garoppolo knows.

maybe if you dream really hard, Brady is 39 and could decide to hang them up this offseason for all we know. Dont act like 4 more years is assured

Who was talking about four years, I have it figured around seven to eight......,,,,

Heck no! As we speak Tom Brady is taking this suspension as a time to find the fountain of youth. Rumor has it that Tom Brady may not age anymore and Roger G is scheming to suspend him games 5-8 for agegate.

Well, Tom Brady never actually did that, but Roger G cooked up the story and no matter how unbelievable it is, most people will believe Brady did it.

Jacoby is the first one with a real chance at being our next QB, there's no way Jimmy re-signs with us.

Highly doubtful, as Brissett knows the offense but a fraction of what Garoppolo knows.

So is the alternative to leave JG in the game even if he is struggling and the team is losing? Hopefully we never find out.

FWIW, look at Brady's new contract post-extension. This is not to say they can or should do so, but the Patriots can actually trade/release him as soon as 2018 without blowing up the cap.

So is the alternative to leave JG in the game even if he is struggling and the team is losing? Hopefully we never find out.
JG should be expected to struggle somewhat, that's part of the maturation process at that position. Yanking him for a raw rookie with limited command of the playbook would make no sense.

He has the *opportunity* to be something special.

I think he physically has much higher physical upside than Grop ...
As we all know the mental part of being a QB far outweighs the physical so we'll soon see.
In any case Jimmy has to move on to reach his potential ... it won't be here the timing doesn't work.

Reminds me of when Charlie Frye went from Browns starter to off the team in a week lmao.

Jacoby is our future QB by default of Brady's stellar level of play & Jimmy's contract situation. Barring some catastrophic injury, Brady isn't going to retire early enough for Jimmy to stay on the team much longer. My guess is, Garoppolo gets traded for a 1st round pick, and the Pats may even draft a QB to compete w/ Brissett.

No, his deal is up in four years and Brady still won't be close to hanging them up. Brady's successor is in junior high right now.

Dream On. Avocado Ice cream does not provide the Fountain of Youth. Favre was the oldest starter I can think of, and he was done at 41. Although some said it should have been a year before. Brady might hang on as a reserve longer than that though, with a comensurate reduced salary.

Dream On. Avocado Ice cream does not provide the Fountain of Youth. Favre was the oldest starter I can think of, and he was done at 41. Although some said it should have been a year before. Brady might hang on as a reserve longer than that though, with a comensurate reduced salary.
warren moon started one game with the seahawks in 1998, 4 days after turning 42.

Warren Moon 1998 Game Log | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Jacoby is the first one with a real chance at being our next QB, there's no way Jimmy re-signs with us.

If Jimmy would get guarantees he starts in 2018, he would re-sign. This might be the best place for his future.
Of course there are no such things as guarantees in Foxboro ...
The only fact is NE controls him for the next 2 years.

There is still a long way to that crossroad, a lot of football to be played, decisions made ...

You must not remember Warren Moon.

There has been absolutely no drop off in Brady's game, if anything he is getting better, the talk of moving him over a guy who has won one game is ******ed.

You must not remember Warren Moon.

There has been absolutely no drop off in Brady's game, if anything he is getting better, the talk of moving him over a guy who has won one game is ******ed.
Moon had his last good year at 41.

It is reasonable to say Tom has two elite years left after 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes