PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Brandon Lloyd staying now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There would be exactly ZERO issues with regard to his bonus if there weren't the locker room issues (which may or may not be greatly overblown).

I don't think it's necessarily a problem with his bonus, it's just that 2/3 of his salary is due on Saturday, so they're obviously not going to pay that if they don't plan on keeping him.

I disagree with you about the locker room issues, and feel that it would be more about his limitations with YACs and intermediate routes. Of course we've heard rumors and posters have speculated on both sides, so we may never know the truth.

By the way, good call on the Welker to DEN concerns. I personally thought that they received pretty decent value from Stokely last year, despite his age, but for a 2/12 contract--why not, right? At any rate, you called it a few weeks ago and were correct.

The only way I would be okay with Lloyd being shown the door at this point is if the Pats were to open up some serious negotiations with Jennings. Either way, with Lloyd or Jennings, the team should still use no later than a second on a WR.

I don't agree on the draft. i think both the 1st and 2nd rounders should be used on defense to get a pass rusher and a defensive back in whichever order appears to work best. Another young DT or DE is essential, and I do not like the prospects of Talib and Dennard staying out of jail for a whole season.

Not sure where you're hearing that number from, but Jennings initially was looking for 11 million or so, and it's been reported today on ESPN and NFLN that Green Bay has a 10 million per yr offer for him on the table to return.

I personally think that may be a bit high myself, but even if he ends up getting about 9 million it's still way out of our price range.

I can't find the sources so take it for what it's worth, but I read several tweets and at least one website yesterday stating that the 10m/yr was an old offer and has been removed from the table, the current market for Jennings is speculated to be around 7-8m/yr.

Injury and age have hurt his supposed value as much as Welker's it looks like. Him only wanting to play for a contendor (most of which are cap-strapped) also drives down his price. It isn't hard for me to imagine these things all being true when you put it together that way.

But, again, I can't recall sources at the moment. (I'm currently deployed in Kuwait at my work laptop right now, my net is more limited than on my personal laptop so i'm slightly limited on my ability to look for sources)

It is amazing to watch the Patriots rebuild. There is no age on the entire Offense now, save at QB with Tom Brady; and he might have a few years left at QB. Gronk Hernandez, Barrett, Amendola, Lloyd, and Edelman is still a respectable receiving corps.

Even at QB, Ryan Mallett is being groomed and I could see the signing of an experienced former starter (Cassel?) to provide more experienced depth.

The Defense is still very young and maturing, and the Pats have money to spend there, as well as three high draft picks.

I don't buy the $10 million/year offer for Jennings by the Packers. The Packers have a lot of leverage with Nelson, Cobb and Jones in place already. Who else is offering that type of money? Sounds like a rumor floated to the press by his agent.

They saved cap $$ on the Amendola-Welker switch. They obviously would save money by cutting Lloyd. Use that $$ to help pay for Jennings at 7-8 mill/year with a 4-5 mill/year cap hit?

I don't buy the $10 million/year offer for Jennings by the Packers.

He's visiting Minnesota today which means if GB ever had a $10mil per year offer they have changed it. Besides seems to me like they might want to go after a running back or two which would really make re-signing him redundant with Nelson, Cobb, Jones and Finley there.

I also get the feeling that at some point today we'll get a report that Jennings has left Minnesota and will be visiting New England next or "is in serious talks and a deal could be done soon with NE"

Got a true #1 WR sitting out there and you might be able to get him for $3-4mil more than Lloyd will cost you this year. Something Brady hasn't had since '09. Has Moss had completely checked out in '10 and ended up getting traded.

And I know it wouldn't be Belichick's nature but it would really shut some of the Boston and national media right up about them screwing Welker

And I know it wouldn't be Belichick's nature but it would really shut some of the Boston and national media right up about them screwing Welker

I don't think that's why Belichick is in the buisiness. He'd rather do what he and his advisors feel is best to put the team in a position to win regardless of whether the media or fans approve.

I do however share your thoughts on Jennings, I find it difficult to believe that we intend on just signing Amendola and that we'll at least TALK to Jennings' people.

Lloyd is staying. No way he leaves and he was never brought in to the be #1 threat or a down-field threat. He's an outside receiver. Gronk and Hernandez are the 1-2 in the passing game.

Its interesting that Amendola could probably play outside the numbers much more than Welker could. He's probably still better in between but he's a bit more versatile in that regard. Seems to me that the Pats want to free up space inside the numbers for Gronk and Hernandez while having guys on the outside who can make acrobatic and sideline catches.

jennings isn't coming here people...too much $$

And lloyd has to stay..he leaves..we are F'ed unless we trade for a big time WR

I think lloyd leaves. He never gets open enough and doesn't have deep speed. IMO. Plus he always falls down immediately...which I kind of understand but still.

I think lloyd leaves. He never gets open enough and doesn't have deep speed. IMO. Plus he always falls down immediately...which I kind of understand but still.

Ok..then who do we get for a #1 or even a #2 WR then with who is out there...jones? DHB? He had 900 yards does everyone forget this? Austin won't be there when pats draft and do you really want a rookie as their #1 WR?

I'm starting to think that welker was getting in the way of lloyds progress last year.

I also heard that welker was being blamed for the gronk, ahern, and fletcher injuries last year

Where are you going to buy 900 yards for $4 a year. If we could do so, I would add him to the mix if he were an outside receiver.

I fear that the issue is that Josh likes Edelman. We might be much better off if Edelman signs somewhere else in the next couple of days.

I don't think it's necessarily a problem with his bonus, it's just that 2/3 of his salary is due on Saturday, so they're obviously not going to pay that if they don't plan on keeping him.

I disagree with you about the locker room issues, and feel that it would be more about his limitations with YACs and intermediate routes. Of course we've heard rumors and posters have speculated on both sides, so we may never know the truth.

By the way, good call on the Welker to DEN concerns. I personally thought that they received pretty decent value from Stokely last year, despite his age, but for a 2/12 contract--why not, right? At any rate, you called it a few weeks ago and were correct.

Y'all need to stop with the Lloy hate. Didnt he almost break the franchise record for yards in a game when he was the center point? And so what if he goes to the ground after each catch, with all this crying about how Danny is injury prone, you'd think we'd all be ok with Lloyd's style. At least we know he aint getting hurt.

Whoever we might choose BEFORE making the decision on Lloyd.

Why do you always put your post above the quote? Makes no sense, we have to read your post, and then see what you are responding too.

My guess would be if Lloyd does go it means one of two things

Jennings has been signed. If the reports are true and he is in that $7-8mil per year range. That's only $2.5-3mil more than Lloyd's cap hit and it's for a legit #1 WR.

or

That somehow that internet rumored Larry Fitzgerald trade has happened.

About 99% percent chance neither happens, so it would more than likely mean if Lloyd is gone Pats have re-signed Edelman for like $1.5mil a year and signed two guys out of the likes of Danario Alexander, David Nelson, Darius Heyward-Bey, Kevin Olgetree, Donald Jones etc. Which ends up being in total no more than $4mil more than Lloyd's cap hit would have been.

Then they'll draft someone in the 1st or 2nd round and just let the training camp battle settle it.

If Larry Fitzgerald comes to the patriots, they wont even play the 2013 NFL season, they will just give them the trophy.

Y'all need to stop with the Lloy hate. Didnt he almost break the franchise record for yards in a game when he was the center point? And so what if he goes to the ground after each catch, with all this crying about how Danny is injury prone, you'd think we'd all be ok with Lloyd's style. At least we know he aint getting hurt.

Agree.

Do I hope they sign a better outside receiver in addition to Lloyd? Yes
Do I hope Lloyd gets cut? No

It would be nice if Lloyd could run instead of fall. but for the money he's being paid, I'm happy with what he produced last season.

I don't think you'll get a better receiver in the 3m in cap savings by cutting him, or even the 5m in salary he's due per year

But in reality I'd be happy if they used the remaining cap space on the defense, then got a wide receiver with one (or both) of their top 2 picks -- someone with upside to be a difference maker but that we don't need to rely on if they fail to produce right away.

If Larry Fitzgerald comes to the patriots, they wont even play the 2013 NFL season, they will just give them the trophy.

Cause that worked out so well in 07

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand