PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Lloyd: A success but not a solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My memory is fuzzy but didn't Brady and Lloyd almost connect in game 1 on a long PA pass where Lloyd got behind the D? I believe TB overthrew him, can't remember. Still, it showed me that Lloyd has the ability to cause problems downfield. He's no Moss (who is?), but I would like to see them break this out a bit more often, especially with an improved running attack.

I like Lloyd. He brings it every week. I think he could help, but not the way he's being used right now.

Then in 2011, when Branch was running sideline patterns, he was left uncovered?

1.) How many times in the entirety of last season do you think Branch required teams to keep a safety high/wide as well as having CB coverage?

2.) How many times in the entirety of last season did teams feel that they had to put a top 2 CB on Branch?

Last edited:
In their three losses this year, they scored 12, 10, and 6 points in the 2nd half
Why don't you look at the injury list since the start of training camp and list all the offensive players who were on the PUP list? Why don't you look at the injury list since the start of the regular season and list all the offensive players who have been either questionable or have been ruled out?

Yet, the New England Patriots have the number one offense in the NFL. What you are asking for is perfection which does not exist in the salary cap era.

They scored 17 points in this years Super Bowl.

Guess what 17 points gets you in the Super Bowl.....a losers paycheck. Only one time since 1975, would 17 points get a team a victory in the Super Bowl (Feb 3 2008....Giants 17-Patriots 14)
Injuries played a major part in the demise of the New England Patriots offense since both Gronkowski and Mankins were both severely hobbled in the Super Bowl. Both aforementioned players underwent off-season surgery to resolve their medical issues. Furthermore, Vollmer underwent off-season back surgery.

Last edited:
My memory is fuzzy but didn't Brady and Lloyd almost connect in game 1 on a long PA pass where Lloyd got behind the D? I believe TB overthrew him, can't remember. Still, it showed me that Lloyd has the ability to cause problems downfield. He's no Moss (who is?), but I would like to see them break this out a bit more often, especially with an improved running attack.

I like Lloyd. He brings it every week. I think he could help, but not the way he's being used right now.

That's because the corner bit on the reverse, not because Lloyd out ran him.

Despite the disastrous game against the Cardinals, the losses of Hernandez and Edelman, and the obviously slowed Gronk, this team has scored more points through 6 games this year than it did last year. Opposing teams are now defending sideline to sideline instead of just numbers to numbers.

That's a success that's also a solution.

Very insightful observations. I especially like your thoughts on teams being forced to defend sideline to sideline. Seems like being forced to defend outside the hashes might create soace in the middle as well as a deep threat.

I wish the pieces together better and we could get back to being the #1 offense in the NFL.

Oh wait...

Sorry but I can't get too worked up about offensive deficiencies, when we have a defensive secondary that seems like it could be exposed by half the QBs in the Patriot League a lot of the time.

Three more field goals in three games and none of this would be discussed.

Very insightful observations. I especially like your thoughts on teams being forced to defend sideline to sideline. Seems like being forced to defend outside the hashes might create soace in the middle as well as a deep threat.

It should. Once Hernandez gets back up to speed, and assuming they don't go back to what they were doing in the first two games, we should see a much more dynamic passing attack than anything we've seen so far.

Lloyd - threatens deep, works mostly short and middle-outside
Gronk - Threatens deep to about 30 yards, works mostly middle, but can go wide
Hernandez - Threatens to about 20 yards, works the entire width of the field
Welker - occasionally can beat you deep, but is primarily slot up to 15 yards
Edelman - who the hell knows

Once they're all back and healthy, it should be as diverse an attack as any of the elite offenses in the NFL. It lacks only a Mike Wallace type of deep burner. If they had that, this would be a textbook example of what a passing offense should aspire to, personnel wise.

That's because the corner bit on the reverse, not because Lloyd out ran him.

True, but either way he managed to get open and deep. If he can beat the corner to do this, then he would command safety help in that situation. This is what we want, right?

Not saying he's a true deep threat, but he does have the ability to make teams think about it, and I'd like to see it utilized at times.

As it's been said on the board, offense isn't this team's problem...

Last edited:
the pats won three SB's with a dink and dunk offense that was not on the same level as this offense is as far as yards and points goes the real problem i see is they cant run a set offense most of there points come out of the no huddle and u cant run a no huddle when your trying to run out the clock with a bad pass defense

The offense has shot itself in the foot this year. The pats should of had 42 on the scoreboard in the Ravens game, and about 35 in the Seahawks game. The pats need to fix their redzone offense and grow a pair on 4th and 1s inside the 30.

Hopefully this Sunday, Brady can connect with Lloyd on the deep ball. Only once I have seen it work this season and that was in garbage time against the Bills and Lloyd had to extend to get that ball. Brady and Lloyd are probably around 75-85% in chemistry I'm guessing but they need to create a deep ball connection so the defenses can back off the LOS and let Welker and the TEs operate in open field. You are right though, Lloyd just seems like a possession guy, like a Reggie Wayne that gets tough catches. But once he and Brady get up to speed, which I hope is soon, hopefully he can be the legit threat in the passing game that other defenses have to fear.

The offense has shot itself in the foot this year. The pats should of had 42 on the scoreboard in the Ravens game, and about 35 in the Seahawks game. The pats need to fix their redzone offense and grow a pair on 4th and 1s inside the 30.

I think this is because Gronk isn't the same redzone threat that he was last season. Idk if Brady just isn't looking at him in the redzone or Gronk is double-covered, but they need to go to the TEs more in the redzone instead of Josh McDaniels calling run plays into the teeth of the defense. Once the TEs get up to speed, then the redzone offense will improve. Gronk was money in the RZ last year, why isn't Brady looking his way more this year, I wonder?

Brandon Lloyd averages 2 YAC.....TWO YARDS!!!
Shawn Jefferson was like that. It's a style based upon something I don't understand, but Lloyd does make many aerial catches in very compromised positions. There just isn't any way to make YAC on balls like that.

His TD against the Bills was what I'd call a trademark of his. Spectacular but not a catch where YAC could even been attempted (if he had not been in the end zone.) Ah, but he was in the end zone.

I don't ever expect Lloyd to scare teams with what he can do after the catch.

Lloyd is a big reason brady is having another great year..he works the sidelines like no other and catches everything

How does Lloyd open up the middle?

Whether its Lloyd or Branch running these sideline routes, they both receive single coverage. Nothing has changed. And with 2 WRs on the field, wouldn't either a #1 or #2 CB be on Lloyd regardless?

Seriously you need to review the tape, the all 22, before acting as if you know how defenses are covering Lloyd, or anyone.
First, you are describing zone coverage when you talk about flooidng the middle of the field, then you apply that to a blitz situation where everyone is being single covered.
You clearly haven't viewed the film, and are making a guess and trying to present it as a fact and an analysis. Why?

It should. Once Hernandez gets back up to speed, and assuming they don't go back to what they were doing in the first two games, we should see a much more dynamic passing attack than anything we've seen so far.

Lloyd - threatens deep, works mostly short and middle-outside
Gronk - Threatens deep to about 30 yards, works mostly middle, but can go wide
Hernandez - Threatens to about 20 yards, works the entire width of the field
Welker - occasionally can beat you deep, but is primarily slot up to 15 yards
Edelman - who the hell knows

Once they're all back and healthy, it should be as diverse an attack as any of the elite offenses in the NFL. It lacks only a Mike Wallace type of deep burner. If they had that, this would be a textbook example of what a passing offense should aspire to, personnel wise.

WR screens

Lloyd is a big reason brady is having another great year..he works the sidelines like no other and catches everything

I think that there was a misconception that was being spread like a virus in the offseason that Brandon Llyod was going to be a vertical downfield threat.

I honestly fell into the trap a bit myself, expecting him to be able to stretch the field vertically with more success.

What Llyod does, and has always excelled at, it being able to stretch the field across, or horizontally...and better than most can currently do it; certainly a big improvement over Branch for sure. Those who are comparing him to Branch aren't being fair at all.

Lloyd and Brady will continue to improve their production together as the year goes on, and have been doing a fine job so far. He's our 2nd leading receiver behind Wes Welker.

Last edited:
I think this is because Gronk isn't the same redzone threat that he was last season. Idk if Brady just isn't looking at him in the redzone or Gronk is double-covered, but they need to go to the TEs more in the redzone instead of Josh McDaniels calling run plays into the teeth of the defense. Once the TEs get up to speed, then the redzone offense will improve. Gronk was money in the RZ last year, why isn't Brady looking his way more this year, I wonder?

Gronk has a hip injury that is slowing him
Hernandez has been injured and will still be slowed.
The players replacing Hernandez while injured missed training camp.
All of these issues will sort themselves out over time.
But hopefully they don't give up running the ball, we will need to be able to control a game on the ground as we get near the playoffs

As far as Lloyd is concerned, the last player I remember making catches like his was Terry Glenns rookie year. That year he made some amazing leaping catches. It's all about moving the chains, YAC is great but the catch is the main thing.

Gronk has a hip injury that is slowing him
Hernandez has been injured and will still be slowed.
The players replacing Hernandez while injured missed training camp.
All of these issues will sort themselves out over time.
But hopefully they don't give up running the ball, we will need to be able to control a game on the ground as we get near the playoffs

As far as Lloyd is concerned, the last player I remember making catches like his was Terry Glenns rookie year. That year he made some amazing leaping catches. It's all about moving the chains, YAC is great but the catch is the main thing.

You can take it to the bank that this team is going to continue establishing the running game-- in hopes of better balance, limiting hits, imposing its physicality, and improving on the "Dec/Jan" style of football.

There will obviously be times when the plan is better off attacking through the air, and I actually see something close to the SEA game (on a lesser extreme) against the Rams next weekend, who really have a tough defensive front, particularly against the run, but as a whole I think the running game balance will definitely be there in the high majority of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back