PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Brandon Lloyd staying now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you're OK with having Brady break in a completely brand new set of WRs in 2013?
I'd rather take a chance that a more talented player can work well with Brady than settle for Lloyd's known mediocre connection with Brady.

I'd hope so. If Lloyd is kept around and Edelman stays healthy I think the WR set is still respectable. Could use a few more cheap additions (DHB and a draft pick) but combined with our TE's and Vereen/Woody our pass attack should still be solid.

welker is 500 times the player stokley is right now

That's very clear. I don't intend to suggest otherwise.

Teams will have to start covering the slot in Denver, now. I said he'd open things up. I just don't think we'll see the Brady-Welker production out there.

I think they bring Lloyd back because his contract this year is a great value, and that is what the Patriots front office hangs its hat on.

My guess would be they bring back Lloyd and then target two WR in the draft like they did with TE (Gronk and Hernandez) and RB (Vereen and Ridley). I see a lot of solid value in the late first-third rounds at the Wr position.

And Armedola with a cap hit of $3M or less is also a bargain.

His cap hit this year is $4.5 million. Lloyd gets a $3 million bonus on Saturday plus he gets $1.9 million in salary. That is where the $5 million comes from. He gets paid $5 million in real dollars.

A cap hit for Lloyd at $4.5 million is a good deal. Welker getting a cap hit at $6 million is a bargain.

Belichick has chosen Armedola over Welker and used up about $2.8M in cap space.

Now the choice is whether to pay Lloyd his bonus or to take the $3.5M cap savings and get an upgrade. Unless he is a huge behavioral problem, I would keep him.

In any case, I would look at the mid-level (like Lloyd) and lower wide receivers.

Don't you think some info would have been at least leaked if the pats were interested?

Agree with another who said not really, was any info leaked about Amendola? IIRC it was nearly 100% media speculation because of how "similar" the 2 players are and it made it seem like a no-brainer if we lost Welker.

I don't think there was actually any inside info connecting the 2 players.

Is Lloyd staying now?

Agree with another who said not really, was any info leaked about Amendola? IIRC it was nearly 100% media speculation because of how "similar" the 2 players are and it made it seem like a no-brainer if we lost Welker.

I don't think there was actually any inside info connecting the 2 players.

None, stone cold, which is a good thing. Other teams have no clue and we get more surprises. This pats team is Super Bowl bound no matter who we have. We have Brady and belicheck guys, they know how to get it done.

We have Lloyd to decided on in the next few days. Edelman is also a free agent. Given that we used about $2.8M on Amendola, we have a lot of flexibility in the next wide receiver, and then the next. Everyone was planning that Welker would have a cap hit of $6M. We may or may not have made the "right" choice, but we do have more cap room available at WR than we might have had.

My guess is that Lloyd is essentially a FA that we have an agreement with and a few days to take it or not.
So, if we get a better player for a reasonable price, we cut Lloyd, if we don't we keep him.
Just as I think it was Welker or Amendola (and its debatable who was plan A and who was plan B) Lloyd's future depends on how successful they are at getting a different/better player at a good price.

if lloyd does go...who would be the #1..hopefully not a rookie

Whoever we might choose BEFORE making the decision on Lloyd.
Well there don't seem to be any #1 receivers available right now unless you count Jennings (who most likely is not a realistic target), and they have to decide on Lloyd by Saturday, I believe. That would mean cutting him before getting his replacement if they're replacing him with a rookie.

if lloyd does go...who would be the #1..hopefully not a rookie

My guess would be if Lloyd does go it means one of two things

Jennings has been signed. If the reports are true and he is in that $7-8mil per year range. That's only $2.5-3mil more than Lloyd's cap hit and it's for a legit #1 WR.

or

That somehow that internet rumored Larry Fitzgerald trade has happened.

About 99% percent chance neither happens, so it would more than likely mean if Lloyd is gone Pats have re-signed Edelman for like $1.5mil a year and signed two guys out of the likes of Danario Alexander, David Nelson, Darius Heyward-Bey, Kevin Olgetree, Donald Jones etc. Which ends up being in total no more than $4mil more than Lloyd's cap hit would have been.

Then they'll draft someone in the 1st or 2nd round and just let the training camp battle settle it.

I agree that Lloyd is a bargain with regard to production. There would be exactly ZERO issues with regard to his bonus if there weren't the locker room issues (which may or may not be greatly overblown).

well if no decision before lloyd..he is being kept..he is dirt cheap for 900 yrds

Only way I'd want to cut Lloyd right now is if we agreed to a deal with Jennings at the supposed 7m/year number thats been floating around. Even then, that'd be about 3m more per year than Lloyd costs, is that really a good switch?

Silver lining in all this is that Amendola's cap number is even lower than Lloyds this season giving us lots of room to play still, whether it be a WR or a bunch of DB's.

Lets not forget the Tackle market isn't exactly taking off and Vollmer is still out there.

YES. yes it is

What kind of production are you expecting from Jennings? If he could average 1200-1300 yards and 7 TDs i might see it as worth the expense, but thats a pretty tough figure to imagine, unless we shift focus away from what we've been building recently. I would have much rathered Jennings in place of Welker, in addition to Lloyd if he would have only cost us 1m/year on average than Amendola will cost us.

Seems like such a silly oversight. I'm sure there are reasons though, whether we would agree with them or not.

I think his bonus kicks in on Friday or Saturday. We will find out then. No way they cut him after he gets his bonus.

Reported to be 3/16, so I'd assume that would mean Friday night/early Saturday morning at midnight. That means we'd have today and tomorrow to try and find someone else.

I'm guessing we keep him myself. I think it'd be hard to replace him and the 2.5 m savings isn't really worth it. On top of that, I honestly can't think of any reasonable upgrades for value at the moment.

Jennings would have been a decent grab in my opinion, if he could've been had at 7-8 million. Unfortunately he's reported to have at least a 10m offer per yr from Green Bay.

Only way I'd want to cut Lloyd right now is if we agreed to a deal with Jennings at the supposed 7m/year number thats been floating around.

Not sure where you're hearing that number from, but Jennings initially was looking for 11 million or so, and it's been reported today on ESPN and NFLN that Green Bay has a 10 million per yr offer for him on the table to return.

I personally think that may be a bit high myself, but even if he ends up getting about 9 million it's still way out of our price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes