PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Bill Belichick Getting Off Easy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabthepat

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
He is my all time favorite coach. I gave him a break last year blowing an 18 point lead in the AFCCG. I blamed the WRs for letting us down last year.

It is hard to believe Bill let an 18-0 team with a 4th quarter lead lose. I can still she him coaching the defense on the side lines while the offense is on the field tanking.

I see Tony Dungy, Marty Shottenhiemer, and Bill Cowher losing a SB like this. Not Bill!!!!!!

Since the end of the 2000 season BB has brought you:

4 SB appearances
3 SB wins
0 losing seasons

What NFL team/coach is even close to that kind of success? I know the Patriots won 3 super bowls in the first five seasons BB was head coach, but c'mon. The Patriots have been the best team in the league since '01. They are probably a 10/10, but there are some other teams (in a given year) that are 9/10 or 9.5/10.

You better get the mods to delete this thread, I started a thread that stated that the coordinators needed to improve and I got a ton of flack for that.

EDIT: Judging from the first reply, you better find a mod STAT.

Last edited:
Is Bill Belichick getting off easy.

Um, have you read ANY article about him this year?

The answer is NO.

I know you're referring to the SB loss specifically but the idea of BB getting off easy in the media or anywhere at this point is frankly laughable.

I need to go to the eye doctor. I thought that this thread said that BB only lost in Indy and BB only lost the SB.

He is my all time favorite coach. I gave him a break last year blowing an 18 point lead in the AFCCG. I blamed the WRs for letting us down last year.

It is hard to believe Bill let an 18-0 team with a 4th quarter lead lose. I can still she him coaching the defense on the side lines while the offense is on the field tanking.

I see Tony Dungy, Marty Shottenhiemer, and Bill Cowher losing a SB like this. Not Bill!!!!!!

read this again. he won 18 games with this team. and as far as getting off easy goes...what do you want to do ? fire him ? crucify him ? the media is already doing enough as is.

Sadly, neither of these coaches would have the balls to go 18-0 before making the SB. And judging by the SB experience of Dungy and Cowher, they would have a double-digit lead for the 4th quarter.

It is amazing how Belichick is such a great coach but he can't put away a Super Bowl early to save his life.

His players were in position to make plays. Samuel almost got the INT. Green/Seymour almost got the sack. Harrison almost made the play on Tyree. The players still have to make the plays.

Sadly, neither of these coaches would have the balls to go 18-0 before making the SB. And judging by the SB experience of Dungy and Cowher, they would have a double-digit lead for the 4th quarter.

It is amazing how Belichick is such a great coach but he can't put away a Super Bowl early to save his life.

I believe we would have been better off playing the Packers. Giving the Giants time to analyze their first effort was a bad thing.

I believe we would have been better off playing the Packers. Giving the Giants time to analyze their first effort was a bad thing.
Also the Packers had a mediocre pass rush which is about the only thing which can disrupt our passing attack.

Come on..............
I am a Colt fan and I think this is the STUPIDEST thread ever I have seen. I don't like his demenor but as a coach he is great. Don't blame the SB42 loss on him. Put it on your OL or even aging defense but not on BB.

read this again. he won 18 games with this team. and as far as getting off easy goes...what do you want to do ? fire him ? crucify him ? the media is already doing enough as is.

Jesus, can anybody suggest that Belichick screwed up without everybody taking it as a call for his head? The criticism for this loss is justified - his team didn't finish the game or the season after being in position to do so.

To think that ANY coach could lose a shot at a perfect season in the SB is unimaginable.

Well Belichick has finished off three SB wins - is that not good enough now ?

His players were in position to make plays. Samuel almost got the INT. Green/Seymour almost got the sack. Harrison almost made the play on Tyree. The players still have to make the plays.

His team was also in a position to lose the game in the closing minutes. That's on Belichick too. The Pats are always in a one-score ballgame late in his SB's. Good thing we won 3 of 4, could have been 0 of 4.

I rest two decisions squarely on the shoulders of BB in this game:

1. 4th & 13. Punt or FG is the better call. Said it then, saying it now.

2. Not running at least once with 1st & Goal from the 6 with 2:40 to play. The way the offense was moving and Pats defense was playing, you had to think that even if you don't score a 3 yard run was a win on first down. Milk clock or force NYG to burn TO, and still have two more cracks to score. Pass-pass on 1-2 was a bad decision.

Outside of those (surmountable) decisions, I don't find much to blame on BB.

I suppose you could criticize strategy, etc., but I'm not smart enough about football to even think I could question BB on overall scheme/strategy.

Those two game day decisions, however, I feel were poor.

Last edited:
Well Belichick has finished off three SB wins - is that not good enough now ?

Better enjoy those 3 because if the last 2 losses have any bearing on the future, we're in for some heartache.

His team was also in a position to lose the game in the closing minutes. That's on Belichick too. The Pats are always in a one-score ballgame late in his SB's. Good thing we won 3 of 4, could have been 0 of 4.
:confused:

And it could have been 4 of 4. This loss was because the players didn't make plays. It would have been nice had Harrison not given up 40 yards or so to a big, not very fast TE. The players just didn't make the plays. Woods with his easy fumble recovery. It goes on and on. Not that Belichick is blameless but had the players executed they'd have won that game - make no mistake about it, we lost it a lot more than the Giants won it.

Better enjoy those 3 because if the last 2 losses have any bearing on the future, we're in for some heartache.
We have about 6 more years with Brady, we should win one more. I can't believe that some people are so spoiled that 3 SB wins isn't enough now.

2. Not running at least once with 1st & Goal from the 6 with 2:40 to play. The way the offense was moving and Pats defense was playing, you had to think that even if you don't score a 3 yard run was a win on first down. Milk clock or force NYG to burn TO, and still have two more cracks to score. Pass-pass on 1-2 was a bad decision.

Maybe he was counting on his D to blow the lead, so he wanted to give Brady as much time as possible to get ANOTHER go-ahead TD.

Maybe he was counting on his D to blow the lead, so he wanted to give Brady as much time as possible to get ANOTHER go-ahead TD.

Sadly, there might be a hint of truth to this. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back