PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Irsay's fostering a losing mentality will backfire IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
The part above should read 'With and offense that can't function with a slug at QB".
I disagree with how Manning gets credit for being the whole offense when if you put Kerry Collins, Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsly on ANY TEAM their offense would have sucked.
Conversely, if say, Matt Flynn were there to step in the Colts would have had a good offense.

Manning essentially played OC in a complex offense comprised of players he had developed years of chemistry with to make the offense run as it did. To say that Kyle Orton would have made the Colts a playoff team last year is to ignore the command Manning had of the offense over the years, or the effect Manning had on the offensive components. I would take Brady over Manning any day of the week, but I will not deny Manning is unique in the NFL both in field presence and ability. If you are arguing the Colts would have won 3 or 4 more games with a decent QB, then I would tend to agree. Playoffs? No chance.

Matt Flynn will/would make that offense good? GB had a great offense and he has essentially had two impressive games in 4 years. He is either a flash in the pan benefiting from the right opponent in two starts (and is about to victimize the poor team that believes the hype and pays him for the hope of greatness), or he is a legitimate NFL QB. 1000 career passing yards on the leading offense in the NFL, 70% of which came in two games, tells you little about the man and what he will do elsewhere in the long run. Those may represent the career highlight reel for Flynn. One college year and two pro games are a very small statistical sample for predicting future performance outside GB.

They're rebuilding right now. They're about to get Andrew Luck and they have one of the best defensive coaches in the league. .

Now sure how you figure a guy who was a coordinator for one year is one of the best defensive coaches in the league.

Will Dean Pees be one of the best defensive coaches in the league at this time next year if the Ravens do the same thing they have been doing for years?

Last edited by a moderator:
Manning essentially played OC in a complex offense comprised of players he had developed years of chemistry with to make the offense run as it did. To say that Kyle Orton would have made the Colts a playoff team last year is to ignore the command Manning had of the offense over the years, or the effect Manning had on the offensive components. I would take Brady over Manning any day of the week, but I will not deny Manning is unique in the NFL both in field presence and ability. If you are arguing the Colts would have won 3 or 4 more games with a decent QB, then I would tend to agree. Playoffs? No chance.
They wouldn't have made the playoffs with Manning.
But the idea thathe was the OC because he waves his arms around at the los is the most overrated thing in sports. And even if that were the case, replacing him with a decent QB and calling plays for that QB wouldn't change that there were players in that offense that can make plays. They didn't only make plays because Manning had 'field presence'.
There would be the same drop off from Manning to whoever you put in as there would be from any equivalent QB such as Brady, Brees, Rodgers, not more.

Matt Flynn will/would make that offense good? GB had a great offense and he has essentially had two impressive games in 4 years. He is either a flash in the pan benefiting from the right opponent in two starts (and is about to victimize the poor team that believes the hype and pays him for the hope of greatness), or he is a legitimate NFL QB. 1000 career passing yards on the leading offense in the NFL, 70% of which came in two games, tells you little about the man and what he will do elsewhere in the long run. Those may represent the career highlight reel for Flynn. One college year and two pro games are a very small statistical sample for predicting future performance outside GB.

Just named his an example of a back up QB developed by his team. My comment wasn't about Matt Flynn, Matt Flynn was the 'such as' guy taking the place of the word competant.

I am curious, if you were put in Irsay's shoes starting at the end of the 2011 regular season, what exactly would you have done?

Which players would you have kept, which would you have let go, and why? Keep in mind this is the NFL not MLB; all those decisions impact your salary cap.

If I have a fault with Irsay it is that he probably should have taken notice that Polian Jr was making bad decisions, and the scouts that helped make the Colts a good football team were all either leaving or being fired earlier than he did. However, even that is difficult to criticize; a good owner hires good football people and then steps aside, letting them handle the football operations. Considering where the team stood at the end of the 2010 season there was no reason for alarm, even though it is easy to spot now with the benefit of hindsight.

Trade 1st overall pick for a ****load of picks. Draft Richardson in 1st round, Fleener and Sanu in second. Use 2rd and 4th round picks on o-line, draft Kellen Moore or Case Keenum in round 5. In rounds 6 and 7 pick the best available players still on the board. Go after Colston or VJAX in FA.

Last edited:
They wouldn't have made the playoffs with Manning.
But the idea thathe was the OC because he waves his arms around at the los is the most overrated thing in sports. And even if that were the case, replacing him with a decent QB and calling plays for that QB wouldn't change that there were players in that offense that can make plays. They didn't only make plays because Manning had 'field presence'.
There would be the same drop off from Manning to whoever you put in as there would be from any equivalent QB such as Brady, Brees, Rodgers, not more.

The Colts didn't look that great in 2010 but found the playoffs at 10-6. Given the point differentials with lousy QBs, I wouldn't be so sure.

If you believe a QB is "waving his arms", then I agree there isn't much value to the action. If you read that action as calling for adjusted routes that better position receivers to get open and catch the ball based on defensive reads, then I strongly disagree. I guess we will find out if any of those guys become playmakers on new teams in order to support your theory that Manning didn't really do much for the Colts other than chuck the ball.

I dont think Addai is overrated. He was there for us when we needed him. He helped us beat the Pats in the 07 Championship then was pretty clutch in the 09 Super Bowl

He was injury prone during all those years. But i guess they just want to move on to an explosive runningback.

He was still good when he faced the Pats in January 2007. He hasn't been nearly as good after he faced the Pats in November of 2007 when he fell apart.

Addai after his first year and a half where he was a stud ended up becoming a glorified third down back masquerading as a lead back. He was far better a receiver than a rusher. After 2007, he never came close to rushing for 1,000 yards (the most was 2009 with 828). He also only had one year after 2007 where he rushed for more than 4.0 YPC (2010 where he got 495 yards and 4.3 YPC).

Addai was overrated because he was a really good third down RB posing as a lead RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes