PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting - Ryan meet with Revis | Revis Deal Done

BTW, this is FO's take on projecting the Jets' health in 2010:

2010 Trend: Decline. Even while going through three head coaches, the Jets have been a freakily healthy team. Their ranks in AGL since the hiring of Herm Edwards in 2001: 16, 3, 24, 6, 32, 2, 10, 2, 2. That last- place rank, which came during the disastrous 2005 campaign, appears to be a total outlier. The Jets only had three starters miss time last year: Jerricho Cotchery missed two games with a hamstring injury. Mark Sanchez took one game off with a knee sprain, and Kris Jenkins tore his ACL and missed half the year. That’s it. Even for a team with as great of a health record as the Jets, that’s unsustainable; consider that their offensive line made it through 80 starts for the third year in a row, the first time that’s happened over the 14 years we’ve gathered injury data. They won’t suddenly finish last in AGL, but in a given year pretty much every NFL team is going to see more traumatic events amongst its starters than, well, one.

Bottom line: last year was the best case scenario for a team that's constructed like the Jets are. They *will* have more injuries this year, simply because it's almost impossible not to, and they aren't built to handle that.

Last edited:
BTW, this is FO's take on projecting the Jets' health in 2010:

2010 Trend: Decline. Even while going through three head coaches, the Jets have been a freakily healthy team. Their ranks in AGL since the hiring of Herm Edwards in 2001: 16, 3, 24, 6, 32, 2, 10, 2, 2. That last- place rank, which came during the disastrous 2005 campaign, appears to be a total outlier. The Jets only had three starters miss time last year: Jerricho Cotchery missed two games with a hamstring injury. Mark Sanchez took one game off with a knee sprain, and Kris Jenkins tore his ACL and missed half the year. That’s it. Even for a team with as great of a health record as the Jets, that’s unsustainable; consider that their offensive line made it through 80 starts for the third year in a row, the first time that’s happened over the 14 years we’ve gathered injury data. They won’t suddenly finish last in AGL, but in a given year pretty much every NFL team is going to see more traumatic events amongst its starters than, well, one.

Bottom line: last year was the best case scenario for a team that's constructed like the Jets are. They *will* have more injuries this year, simply because it's almost impossible not to, and they aren't built to handle that.

============================================

I don't believe this at all, Lito Sheppard missed games, Donald Strickland was a starter and missed some games I believe Bart Scott missed 1, Shonn Greene was not a starter and missed some games., Leon Washington went out in game 6 also not a starter. Not to mention the guys that play through there injuries.

Jets have been lucky on the injury front, I just don't like the way this guy is adding.

============================================

I don't believe this at all, Lito Sheppard missed games, Donald Strickland was a starter and missed some games I believe Bart Scott missed 1, Shonn Greene was not a starter and missed some games., Leon Washington went out in game 6 also not a starter. Not to mention the guys that play through there injuries.

Jets have been lucky on the injury front, I just don't like the way this guy is adding.

What are the chances of Fart Scott or Kristy Jenkins missing time this year with a sprained mouth?

My problem with Keller is that people have been talking about him as emerging to be be an elite TE for a few years. Every year, he shows flashes of spectacular play, but ultimately never puts it together. He may be the Jets' version of Ben Watson. Their numbers in their first two years of starting are pretty similiar. In fairness to Keller, he has never had a good QB throwing to him.

As for depth, I don't see any TE on their roster to replace Keller in the lead TE role if Keller went down. I don't think that is great depth.

As a Jet fan, I pretty much agree. Keller is going into his 3rd year. The team has many other options on offense to the point where they clearly can't key on Keller. He has to show that he can consistently get open against single coverage from LBers and safeties. As athletic as he is, you'd think he'd do a better job of that than he's shown. He still has time to improve, but he doesn't have any excuses this year.

He seems to run mediocre routes often times rounding them off, allowing the defender to undercut him. Shouldn't happen to a guy of his ability, but he is often blanketed by slow-footed LBs. Sanchez threw several INTs last year, that were basically on the money throws but Keller didn't have any separation (I'm thinking of Buffalo v.1 specifically). His big plays in the playoffs came on misdirection plays where he wasn't covered, not necessarily anything he did to get open.

With the WRs that the Jets have (especially after week 4), he should be running wild up the seam. If that doesn't happen, he needs to be reevaluated.

Well, the numbers as they trickle in, makes it look like the Jets did cave into Revis. Revis will make $16.25 a year over the next two years.

Revis deal pays out $16.25 million per year over first two years | ProFootballTalk.com

The only protection from a hold out after 2011 if Revis decides he wants more again is that the Jets can add three more years to his contract at $3 million a year (as if that will stop him from holding out if he decides to since three years on a deal didn't stop him from holding out this time). If he plays out the four years without holding out, the Jets cannot franchise him and he is an UFA. His final two years of the contract is only for $13.5 million which will not deter him from holding out if he is still the best CB in the league. In other words, the Jets are going to have to pony up for Revis after the 2011 season after he makes $16.25 million a year in 2010 and 2011.

Holdout clause in Revis deal likely wouldn't prevent a holdout | ProFootballTalk.com

So the deal when all said and done will likely be a two year deal for $16.25 million with the Jets giving him a new deal in 2012.

Last edited:
Well, the numbers as they trickle in, makes it look like the Jets did cave into Revis. Revis will make $16.25 a year over the next two years.

Revis deal pays out $16.25 million per year over first two years | ProFootballTalk.com

The only protection from a hold out after 2011 if Revis decides he wants more again is that the Jets can add three more years to his contract at $3 million a year (as if that will stop him from holding out if he decides to since three years on a deal didn't stop him from holding out this time). If he plays out the four years without holding out, the Jets cannot franchise him and he is an UFA. His final two years of the contract is only for $13.5 million which will not deter him from holding out if he is still the best CB in the league. In other words, the Jets are going to have to pony up for Revis after the 2011 season after he makes $16.25 million a year in 2010 and 2011.

Holdout clause in Revis deal likely wouldn't prevent a holdout | ProFootballTalk.com

So the deal when all said and done will likely be a two year deal for $16.25 million with the Jets giving him a new deal in 2012.

Hahaha, well damn, the devil is in the details. Looks like he got what he wanted after all...

Heard the news and rolled my eyes. There was no doubt the Jets were going to get a deal done with him. All that drama on Hard Knocks...I didn't fall for any of it.

You are such a clown.

Did you even bother reading the article?

You really are shameless.

All roses and spin for the Pats, all doom and gloom for the Jets.

Revis received no signing bonus, the guaranteed money is structured to give him the value per year comparative to the market, but the cap hits are spread out to help the team.

Anyway, this is nothing close to the 120 million or 160 million at 60 mil guaranteed that he was looking for.

Bottomline, who god damn cares? Jets got their man, they didn't mortgage the future, they didn't cripple the team for the future to resign players next year and the year after, and took advantage of an uncapped year this year.

Meanwhile, the Pats haven't re-signed Brady and Mankins is still holding out.

Last edited:
My problem with Keller is that people have been talking about him as emerging to be be an elite TE for a few years. Every year, he shows flashes of spectacular play, but ultimately never puts it together. He may be the Jets' version of Ben Watson. Their numbers in their first two years of starting are pretty similiar. In fairness to Keller, he has never had a good QB throwing to him.

As for depth, I don't see any TE on their roster to replace Keller in the lead TE role if Keller went down. I don't think that is great depth.

Keller is entering year 3, and broke out at the end of last year and in the playoffs.

What are you expecting from a skill position player in the passing game with a rookie QB who is being brought along slowly under a conservative offensive game plan? Did they not open things up in the playoffs where Keller emerged?

You don't see any TE on the roster to replace Keller because you don't know anything about the roster.

LOL at the Jets person believing the Jets didn't mortgage their future on inspection of the finer details in the contract given consideration to the contract being based on skill and injury. So Revis gets injured you void half the contract. If Revis doesn't get injured you pay him his money. So your choice is Revis at half contract injured or Revis playing at full contract.

LOL... LOL... and one more LOL.

I'm pleased Revis re-signed with the Jets for my earlier statements. The sitcom/soap opera that is evolving is magnificent.

Last edited:
You say Cro is overrated. blah blah blah

2) Cro has always been best suited for man coverage. Another fact ANY Patsy fan loves to deny. He also played quite well against Wes Welker in the past when he was in man coverage. He will ONLY cover Welker in man coverage. Welker will still get his, though. A lot of short yardage underneath passes basically serving as a running play. I'll give him about 5 catches for 35 yards in week 2.

Cro is underrated! He is not given credit for how good he is at tackling!

5kkln4.jpg

Look at him go ;)

Last edited:
All I know is that the Jets had the best running team in the league last year, they still have one of the best, if not THE best OL, they have a top TE in the league, and a trio of VERY good WR's, including two former Pro Bowl players and a SB MVP.

Sure, you have Brady, no question, Sanchez looks to have the goods, a young franchise QB, but to completely dismiss the talent and the potential of the Jet offense is just STUPID.

Are the Pats better? Sure, Brady and the passing game, but WAAYYYYY better, when you look at the big picture? Uhh, NO!!!!

Nothing about Sanchez says "he has the goods" with Russle gone, he is the worst starting QB in the nfl.

You are such a clown.

Revis received no signing bonus, the guaranteed money is structured to give him the value per year comparative to the market, but the cap hits are spread out to help the team.

Anyway, this is nothing close to the 120 million or 160 million at 60 mil guaranteed that he was looking for.

Bottomline, who god damn cares? Jets got their man, they didn't mortgage the future, they didn't cripple the team for the future to resign players next year and the year after, and took advantage of an uncapped year this year.

The Jets didn't mortgage their future. They basically gave Revis a two year $16.25 million a year deal or at best three year $13.17 million deal unless they are stupid enough to allow Revis to play out his contract and let him enter the open market since the Jets have no way to keep him with a franchise tag. The Revis of last year on the open market will end up being the highest paid defensive player in the league.

Never said it was doom and gloom for the Jets. I can see that that they caved though. They had no choice because Revis wasn't backing down. But don't kid yourself that two years from now the Jets won't be renegotiating with Revis assuming last year wasn't a fluke. Revis was set to make $7 million over the next two years and now he is making $32 million. There isn't much holding him back from repeating a hold out after next season and it would be in the Jets' best interest to give him a new contract after next season or the very latest the season after that. So for the next two seasons, Revis got exactly what he wants and figures in two years he will renegotiate his contract for another contract that pays him the most by any CB in the league.

As for Brady, the deal will get done possibly before Sunday. The Pats won't be desperate and cave after a temper tantrum by the head coach (Ryan admitted that).

As for Mankins, it sucks that he isn't signed, but he is a guard not a shutdown CB.

Last edited:
Keller is entering year 3, and broke out at the end of last year and in the playoffs.

What are you expecting from a skill position player in the passing game with a rookie QB who is being brought along slowly under a conservative offensive game plan? Did they not open things up in the playoffs where Keller emerged?

You don't see any TE on the roster to replace Keller because you don't know anything about the roster.

Keller broke out in the playoffs? Against San Deigo he had three catches for 19 yards granted one was for a TD. The last five games of the regular season, Keller had 9 catches for 69 yards and no TDs. That is an average of 1.8 catches for 13.8 yards per game. His stats support my assertion that he is inconsitent and can show flashes of elite status, but can't be consistent. Sorta like the Pats had with Ben Watson.

I already said I give him a little bit of the benefit of the doubt since he has a mediocre QB throwing to him. Granted he had Favre the year before who was wildly inconsistent himself, but no where the stiff that Sanchez is.

All I know is that the Jets had the best running team in the league last year, they still have one of the best, if not THE best OL, they have a top TE in the league, and a trio of VERY good WR's, including two former Pro Bowl players and a SB MVP.

Sure, you have Brady, no question, Sanchez looks to have the goods, a young franchise QB, but to completely dismiss the talent and the potential of the Jet offense is just STUPID.

Are the Pats better? Sure, Brady and the passing game, but WAAYYYYY better, when you look at the big picture? Uhh, NO!!!!

Last year was last year. The Jets had the best running game last year with Thomas Jones as the lead back and Alan Faneca as the LG. As for the o-line, this preseason so far has shown a huge decline in the o-line play. Even Jets fans have been complaining about Woody being out of shape. The only player on the o-line who has been playing consistently this preseason is Mangold (who is a beast).

As for Sanchez, it two to three years, Sanchez might be good. Right now he looks as bad as he was last year. Watching him on Hard Knocks, he seems to lack the poise and maturity to ever be a great QB. You better hope that it is just HBO's editing.

Adding Santonio Holmes may be more of a cures than a blessing. Not that Holmes sucks. He clearly is the Jets best offensive player and a very good to great WR. The problem is when he gets back, the Jets may be more tempted to air out the ball. That is a recipe for disaster. Since the playoffs showed that they are much better off making Sanchez a game manager than a game controller. After week three last year, the Jets were 0-8 with Sanchez throwing 20 or more times.

The Jets look to have one of the worst offenses in the league going into the season. The Pats' offense looks to be one of the best. If you want to compare defenses, the Jets are clearly worlds better than the Pats on that side of the ball. But the Pats are clearly worlds better on offense than the Jets. Only a Jets fan would dispute that.

You are such a clown.

You clearly have no idea how to negotiate when I sold my motorbike last month I wanted £2000 for it so I advertised it at £2500 so when someone came to buy it we could haggle over the price I got £2100 for it he thought I had won cause he wanted to pay £2250 and started at £1800 but we both won.

The jets lost this one the guy is getting 25 million more for 1 extra year he was under contract if he had held out longer it would start to hurt him he would get no money be fined and if the holdout went on we would have no idea if he would be as good when he did play again. He has manger to get paid loose no time on the field got a contract where he becomes a free agent or gets paid only 1 year later than planned and can get a big pay day if his play doesn't drop. All the jets have got is a player back which when Rex said he didn't need back was trying to negotiate revis down in cost but he didn't bite.

You clearly have no idea how to negotiate when I sold my motorbike last month I wanted £2000 for it so I advertised it at £2500 so when someone came to buy it we could haggle over the price I got £2100 for it he thought I had won cause he wanted to pay £2250 and started at £1800 but we both won.

The jets lost this one the guy is getting 25 million more for 1 extra year he was under contract if he had held out longer it would start to hurt him he would get no money be fined and if the holdout went on we would have no idea if he would be as good when he did play again. He has manger to get paid loose no time on the field got a contract where he becomes a free agent or gets paid only 1 year later than planned and can get a big pay day if his play doesn't drop. All the jets have got is a player back which when Rex said he didn't need back was trying to negotiate revis down in cost but he didn't bite.

While I kind of agree since I think it is ridiculous to have to extend a player with 3 years left on a deal, it's not that bad for the Jets. They get the best player at his position and they get him for the next 4 years at an average of 11.5 million. This puts him at market value. The contract is also written so that Revis if he holds out again will get penalized another 3 years onto his deal for a total of 6 million. Basically it says "hold out and we keep you until the end of your prime years." The incentive not to hold out should be enough to avoid this situation again. Still I heard that there is an 18 million dollar roster bonus at the end of this season which is absolutely ridiculous and unless it can be amoratized over time thats gonna hurt.

While I kind of agree since I think it is ridiculous to have to extend a player with 3 years left on a deal, it's not that bad for the Jets. They get the best player at his position and they get him for the next 4 years at an average of 11.5 million. This puts him at market value. The contract is also written so that Revis if he holds out again will get penalized another 3 years onto his deal for a total of 6 million. Basically it says "hold out and we keep you until the end of your prime years." The incentive not to hold out should be enough to avoid this situation again. Still I heard that there is an 18 million dollar roster bonus at the end of this season which is absolutely ridiculous and unless it can be amoratized over time thats gonna hurt.

I believe it's a bonus at the beginning of the 2011 league year. He got an increase up to around $7 million in 2010 and then when the 2011 season starts he will get a huge roster bonus. Between years 3 and 4 I'm sure if Revis is still playing at this level they will look for another extension.

i wouldnt call the jets oline a "huge" decline from last year.yes,woody hasnt looked the best and the left guard competition hasnt played itself out yet.moore has played pretty good,mangold is a beast,and although brick got beat like a drum on a coupla plays,has had a very solid pre season.they migh not be playing to the level of last year,but "huge" decline?i dont think so

and to call the jets one of the worst offenses is just rediculous.one of the leagues worst passing offenses?ya.i can agree with that.for now.the jets are more than capable to run the ball very effectively.something the pats cant do.

jets run defense-worlds better
jets passing defense-worlds better
jets rushing offense-worlds better
pats passing offense-worlds better
You are without your #1 RB best OL and lead blocker from last running game. Its way too early to say what your running game will be this year because of that.
Personally, I think the Jets may be the worst offense in the NFL. Tiime will tell.
Thats the beauty of this. All the annointing and arrogant statement of what you are going to be is just about over, and its time to take it to the field. Sadly for you thats when things turn bad for the Jets.

The fact is, a CB does not make or break a team..maybe 2 good corner backs but not one..if that were the case, would welker have had 192 yards the last time the pats KILLED the jets? Who cars if Revis signed, Sanchez will still suck and yes the jets will have the worst O in the nfl most likely.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back