PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting find - Brady draft bio from 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Brady has proven that wrong in my eyes, the guy has had a 3,4 coordinators in his days in New England. He has been successful in the short passing system (west-coast) and the "bomb every other throw" which reminds me of the 80's chargers. I don't think you set the single season record for TD's in a season and go undefeated in a season if you are a system QB. SO no he isn't a system QB, you can make a bigger argument for Manning that he is a system QB because the man refuses to let Moore retire, i wonder why...

Well as for all the other negatives, he has developed beyond that. In that case far beyond that. But I would say its hard to argue, that Brady 01-03 was just as much being helped by being in the right system. But as was noted in the posiutives, this guy had drive, so when the team needed someone else to carry it, because the Defense got old, he stepped it up again and again.

All in all I must say, as far as draft bios are concerned this one is pretty much spot on, considering he is noit exactly a first round pick, so Scouts wont spend hours over hours evaluating him. But on the OTOH they were not distracted by all the glamour of boys like Regiie Bush or Matt Leinart either.

I bet he'd be on his couch in San Fran wondering when Mike Singletary is going to get fired :D

And wow, this must be a crazy ride following Brady from college. What a random choice as a favorite college player, I bet you didn't expect him to win 3 SBs, an MVP, and have the most TDs in a season!

It's a bit crazy to think about. I grew up a Wolverines fan, and they were really good around the time I got into it. Griese helped win a share of the national championship, but I just really related to Tom. I played on a few high school teams at the time, and I wasn't very athletic but got to stay on the court because I played smart and showed some leadership. And so I really appreciated those things, maybe over-valued them :rofl:

But when he got drafted, I didn't think much would happen. I wasn't really an NFL fan, watched the occasional Lions game because they were on, but started following NE after they got Brady. When Bledsoe went down, I thought it'd be great to see Brady play one last time. At the most, I hoped he'd last the season and then Bledsoe would come back or something.

I just wanted to watch my fav college player's last game. Ten years later...

I remember they use to boo Brady at the games and get "Start Henson" chants going and stuff.

That still kinda pisses me off. It wasn't as bad as some media members made it out to be, and it seemed like it was only a small (yet significant) portion of fans. But it still happened. Brady wasn't even a pro, he's just some young kid in college. Imagine your son or daughter going to school and the hometown "fans" are turning on them and jeering them. He was just a kid, he never deserved that. And I hated Drew. He hadn't done a single thing for us but it didn't matter, he looked the part, he had the cannon arm, he had SI articles proclaiming him the "Golden Boy." :p Henson was incredibly talented, but I never really liked him. I appreciated him, but didn't like him.

Maybe they would have gotten him as an UDFA. Lack of playing time didn't deter them from taking Cassel........

Maybe. But draft reports had the Patriots considering Tim Rattay in Brady's spot before deciding on Brady. And we drafted Dave Stachelski and Jeff Marriott and Antwan Harris before finally picking Tom. Who knows? But it was certainly a fortunate pick for us.

I also find it interesting how QB was not a need at the time with Bledsoe and Friesze and Bishop as the developmental guy, but we made the pick anyways.

Brady's psyche is probably permanently affected by the booing and cries for the other guy. It's an asset that he uses to push himself to excel.

Credit BB for carrying FOUR QBs in 2000. At the time Bishop, who excelled every preseason, looked like our potential answer to the oh so trendy 'Slash' but by 2001 BB got over that misconception. You could see in 2001 preseason that Brady clearly ran the offense better than Bledsoe. BB was a bit on thin ice having gone 5-11 in 2000 and losing the 1st 2 games (one against an awful Bengals team) motivated him to go with his football sense.

I think Brady has proven that wrong in my eyes, the guy has had a 3,4 coordinators in his days in New England. He has been successful in the short passing system (west-coast) and the "bomb every other throw" which reminds me of the 80's chargers. I don't think you set the single season record for TD's in a season and go undefeated in a season if you are a system QB. SO no he isn't a system QB, you can make a bigger argument for Manning that he is a system QB because the man refuses to let Moore retire, i wonder why...

I see you're new to the board. Don't worry, your sarcasm meter will be firing away sooner that you know it :D

"System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own...Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone."

Proof that Brady's just a system QB :bricks:

The funny part about that last line is that Brady has always been able to "ad-lib" and do things on his own. It's part of his ability to read and react to what the defense shows him. It's how he's been successful. And it's how the Pats were able to institute all those option routes into the passing game.

Brady's psyche is probably permanently affected by the booing and cries for the other guy. It's an asset that he uses to push himself to excel.

Credit BB for carrying FOUR QBs in 2000. At the time Bishop, who excelled every preseason, looked like our potential answer to the oh so trendy 'Slash' but by 2001 BB got over that misconception. You could see in 2001 preseason that Brady clearly ran the offense better than Bledsoe. BB was a bit on thin ice having gone 5-11 in 2000 and losing the 1st 2 games (one against an awful Bengals team) motivated him to go with his football sense.

I don't believe that BB was on ice in 2001. Let's remember that when BB took over prior to the 2000 season, the Pats were in cap hell. I have no doubt that he and Kraft sat down and BB told him it would get worse before it got better because of the really bad contracts that had been signed under the Booby Grier administration.

Those contracts limited what the Pats could do, not only in 2000, but in prepping for 2001 as well.

We'll never know if BB was leaning towards a QB switch prior to Mo Lewis' hit on Drew Bledsoe. That hit precipitated the change. Tom took over and he did was he always has done. He outplayed the competition and made it next to impossible for BB to consider switching back to Drew.

I don't believe that BB was on ice in 2001. Let's remember that when BB took over prior to the 2000 season, the Pats were in cap hell. I have no doubt that he and Kraft sat down and BB told him it would get worse before it got better because of the really bad contracts that had been signed under the Booby Grier administration.

Those contracts limited what the Pats could do, not only in 2000, but in prepping for 2001 as well.

We'll never know if BB was leaning towards a QB switch prior to Mo Lewis' hit on Drew Bledsoe. That hit precipitated the change. Tom took over and he did was he always has done. He outplayed the competition and made it next to impossible for BB to consider switching back to Drew.

BB may not have been endangered but the local sportswriters said as much. There was also statements pre injury that BB allegedly thought Brady out performed Bledsoe pre season.

The real press firestorm broke out once BB decided to stick with Brady once Drew was healthy again.

Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer.

Yes, there was a time personnel guys compared QBs to Brian Griese. And meant it as a compliment. :p

Before Griese was getting sacked by his dog.

When it comes to scouting, the scouts can't predict heart, determination, and breaks. Brady has always had that will to win (as observed in Michigan, and probably High school), but who knew he's put the time in the weight room and film room, as well as the unforseen Mo Lewis hit on Bledsoe. I think we were all thrilled with Brady's play at the time in 2001, but who envisioned Belichick would stick with him, even when Bledsoe became healthy. And who envisioned us winning it all when we stood at 5-5 in 2001. All the stars had to align.

BB may not have been endangered but the local sportswriters said as much. There was also statements pre injury that BB allegedly thought Brady out performed Bledsoe pre season.

The real press firestorm broke out once BB decided to stick with Brady once Drew was healthy again.

IIRC it's talked about a bit in the book "Patriots Reign". BB mentions how Brady outperformed Bledsoe through the preseaon and that they were already considering starting him when "The Hit" happened. I need to read that book again.

IIRC it's talked about a bit in the book "Patriots Reign". BB mentions how Brady outperformed Bledsoe through the preseaon and that they were already considering starting him when "The Hit" happened. I need to read that book again.

Obviously I do as well.

When it comes to scouting, the scouts can't predict heart, determination, and breaks. Brady has always had that will to win (as observed in Michigan, and probably High school), but who knew he's put the time in the weight room and film room, as well as the unforseen Mo Lewis hit on Bledsoe. I think we were all thrilled with Brady's play at the time in 2001, but who envisioned Belichick would stick with him, even when Bledsoe became healthy. And who envisioned us winning it all when we stood at 5-5 in 2001. All the stars had to align.

Many of us did despite the sportswriters who worshiped Bledsoe and in true Boston miserable fashion prattled about BB's ineptitude. Anyone who went to camp summer 2001 saw an amazing Brady performance. Drew did not have a good camp.

I for one did not expect a SB appearance at that juncture. Goal was to 'make the playoffs' and it did not seem likely.

Just re-read parts of Patriot Reign...

My take-
The Mo Lewis hit has been so overblown.

Brady had worked his butt off in the offseason and preseason to beat the crap out of Damon Huard for the backup job. He was so convincing in doing that, it opened lots of eyes. Belichick was more involved with the quarterbacks on a day-to-day basis since the QB coach **** Rehbein died unexpectedly of a heart attack during training camp. He was annoyed at Drew for not working as hard as Tom. Belichick had faced Bledsoe as an opponent and knew his weaknesses and Brady excelled at the thing that galled him most about Drew- decision-making on-the-fly.

In the opening loss to the Bengals, Bledsoe had been lousy. Then in that game against the Jets he had been downright awful: A delay of game penalty on a 4th and goal from the 1, an intentional grounding penalty while in scoring position, a terrible gift-wrapped INT while also in FG range.

Drew's rope was getting short anyway, and Bill did not care a bit about Drew's contract, his friendship with the Krafts, or his well-liked public personna. That hadn't mattered with Kosar-Testaverde. A decision was coming, and fast. There was not going to be a time share and Drew was going to have to hold off Brady with his own performance. Maybe he could have, but it seems unlikely.

My best guess is that the Mo Lewis hit accelerated the process somewhere in the neighborhood of 1-4 games. Maybe that was indeed enough of a benefit to get a ring that year, but to suggest Drew would have been leading the team for an indefinite amount of time is complete crap.

Last edited:
Just re-read parts of Patriot Reign...

The Mo Lewis hit has been so overblown-

Brady had worked his butt off in the offseason and preseason to beat the crap out of Damon Huard for the backup job. He was so convincing in doing that, it opened lots of eyes. Belichick was more involved with the quarterbacks on a day-to-day basis since the QB coach **** Rehbein died unexpectedly of a heart attack during training camp. He was annoyed at Drew for not working as hard as Tom. Belichick had faced Bledsoe as an opponent and knew his weaknesses and Brady excelled at the thing that galled him most about Drew- decision-making on-the-fly.

In the opening loss to the Bengals, Bledsoe had been lousy. Then in that game against the Jets he had been downright awful: A delay of game penalty on a 4th and goal from the 1, an intentional grounding penalty while in scoring position, a terrible gift-wrapped INT while also in FG range.

Drew's rope was getting short anyway, and Bill did not care a bit about Drew's contract, his friendship with the Krafts, or his well-liked public personna. That hadn't mattered with Kosar-Testaverde. A decision was coming, and fast. There was not going to be a time share and Drew was going to have to hold off Brady with his own performance. Maybe he could have, but it seems unlikely.

My best guess is that the Mo Lewis hit accelerated the process somewhere in the neighborhood of 1-4 games. Maybe that was indeed enough of a benefit to get a ring that year, but to suggest Drew would have been leading the team for an indefinite amount of time is complete crap.

A lot of people that think Brady is a system QB, overrated etc. always forget that the great Drew Bledsoe was sometimes down right awful in 2000 and beginning. Also the Pats under BB and Bledsoe were 6-14 while after Brady entered the equation they went 10-2 and won the Superbowl.

A lot of people that think Brady is a system QB, overrated etc. always forget that the great Drew Bledsoe was sometimes down right awful in 2000 and beginning. Also the Pats under BB and Bledsoe were 6-14 while after Brady entered the equation they went 10-2 and won the Superbowl.

Given the proper coaching, physcial development and stability, TB can play in every offensive system known to man except the wishbone. :p

These scouting reviews prove that most scouts can't measure QBs at all. They measure the wrong things. They are overly concerned with athletic ability, and physical stature. They are impressed with cannon arms, even with no accuracy, see Jamarcus Russell. The tend to ignore smarts, and leadership skills.

All the QBs that Belichick has picked in the decade, that were successful, all had one or two common themes. Everyone had the word P-O-I-S-E associated with their scouting review. All had overcome tough times in their college backgrounds, and maintained, instead of surrendering.

Brady competed with "Golden Boy", Drew Henson, and fought for and kept his job. Cassel sat behind not one, but two Heismann Trophy winners, and future 1st round NFL picks. He didn't quit and transfer. Hoyer played on a Michigan State team physically out-maned by Ohio State and Michigan, every year. But he competed.

Brady, Cassel and Hoyer all had those attributes described in their scouting bios. Since that is a very tough thing to measure, the fact that it is ascribed to a QB, must mean that they all exhibited it, to a extraordinary degree.

That is why I was intrigued with both Cassel, and predicted the same for Hoyer.

People tend to forget some Brady superlatives.

1) He led his Team to a perfect 16-0 regular season.
2) In one year he threw more TDs than any QB had ever done.
3) Another year he led the League in Passing yardage.
4) He led his Team to 4 SuperBowls in 7 years and won 3 times.

Last edited:
ImgDyn.cfm

Pssst, you will have 3 rings this decade and marry a super model. Carry on.

Well done!

People tend to forget some Brady superlatives.

1) He led his Team to a perfect 16-0 regular season.
2) In one year he threw more TDs than any QB had ever done.
3) Another year he led the League in Passing yardage.
4) He led his Team to 4 SuperBowls in 7 years and won 3 times.

Which is why Cool Joe is the only QB that can be pitted vs TB in an argument for GoAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back