PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

INJURY UPDATE: Blount is done for the year. Will go to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sign Dri Archer and run a bunch of jet sweeps, [fake] end arounds, etc.

If Josh can draw up a play to get Brady a 37 yard reception, I'm sure he's got something for a guy like Archer

Some other seasons may have somehow been worse injury-wise, but I don't know if we've ever seen a stretch like we're seeing since the Washington game where we lost Dion.

Blount - 10 rushes - 53 yards against Houston - 5.3 YPC
Bolden - 16 rushes - 50 yards against Houston - 3.125 YPC

Ya but 16 of Blount's yards came from that fluky play where they had him wrapped up and down and he bounced off Cushing

I know people want to pretend he's no loss, and I get it wasn't a great year running the ball, but a lot of that was due to the OL; no one replaces him as a big back. Thought the Patriots were running the ball pretty well against HOU before he went out. Season-ender? Of course not. But let's not pretend it's marginal.

I know people want to pretend he's no loss, and I get it wasn't a great year running the ball, but a lot of that was due to the OL; no one replaces him as a big back. Thought the Patriots were running the ball pretty well against HOU before he went out. Season-ender? Of course not. But let's not pretend it's marginal.
But pretending feels so much better...

If injuries were deaths, we'd be putting Game Of Thrones to shame. Forget a Red Wedding. My god.

Posted a few minutes ago

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora
Pats still gathering info on LeGarrette Blount. It may still be possible he could be back at some point in playoffs. Timetable still unclear

For what it's worth.

Blount - 10 rushes - 53 yards against Houston - 5.3 YPC
Bolden - 16 rushes - 50 yards against Houston - 3.125 YPC

That's all you need to know right there.

While I don't think Bolden is as good as Blount, quoting those stats isn't exactly fair to Bolden. He had to run the ball during the part of the game when the Patriots were trying to burn the clock. With that in mind, the Texans were playing against the run.

I hope Ball can give the running game a spark and keep his fumbling out of control. I hope the Pats can sign a running back this offseason who can play on 1st and 2nd down and catch a few passes. Lewis was amazing, but his durability makes him being in there 1st through 3rd down is risky. A first and second down runner with decent receiving skills could help to keep teams more honest. I suspect the Patriots run at least 60% of the time when Blount is in there - it'd be nice to be at closer to 50%.

I may be in the minority here, but I don't see this as a huge loss. He hasn't been very good this year.
Well he was the only viable threat at running back the pats had. White and Bolden don't and won't have any defense shaking in their boots.

This is bad, but as of right now we are projected to have the following players for the playoffs:

Tom Brady
Rob Gronkowski
Julian Edelman
Dont'a Hightower
Jamie Collins
Chandler Jones
Malcolm Butler
Devin McCourty
Stephen Gostkowski

I would say those nine are in a class of the most irreplaceable players with devastating drop offs if we lost them, with Dion Lewis and Nate Solder being close but not quite there. They would be in the next level with guys like Vollmer, Ninkovich, Sheard, Chung, Stork, Amendola, Slater, and Ryan.

As much as these injuries suck, if you told me before the season we would have all of our absolute top tier players for the postseason and many from that next group, I'd probably take it. And to put things in perspective, I'd rather have Gronkowski than Develin, Dobson, Flowers, Gibson, Blount, Easley, Solder, and yes, even Lewis combined.

Better call Saul, it's BenJarvus Green-Ellis time.

Not on IR yet.
Prognosis of a labral tear
Those patients with minor labral tears that respond well to conservative management can usually return to sport or activity in approximately 2 - 6 weeks.

For minor tears that are managed surgically, patients can sometimes return to sport or activity within 4 – 8 weeks, although most patients (especially when the tear is moderate to severe) will require a significantly longer rehabilitation period.
Labral Tear - Hip Labral Tear - PhysioAdvisor

Last edited:
Maybe a leprechaun will grant us some magic with Knowshown Moreno having recovered his knees.

With all these injuries and the signings are we out of money? Can we always sign a player to the min. regardless of how many years service with no bonus money and not have that count against the cap. I know years of service impacts veteran minimum, but do not know if it impacts our salary cap.

Well he was the only viable threat at running back the pats had. White and Bolden don't and won't have any defense shaking in their boots.
Defenses don't shake in their boots over Blount, at least not strong defenses that could give us trouble in the playoffs. Blount is average but still a loss. Better than the guys behind him but not something crippling for our offense.

So... Is he on IR, or not? Seems like conflicting reports.

Worth noting that I believe the Pats now have 3 RBs on the practice squad... One's gotta be activated, you'd think.

I also wouldn't mind putting a beat down on Denver, using Montee Ball to do it.

See Jacksonville grabbed Jonas Gray off the Miami Dolphins practice squad today.

Shonn Greene?

I hate to be that guy...but running backs can be found from anywhere.

Unless you are a top elite back, losing a running back should not cripple your team

Seahawks lost lynch and kept chugging along, chiefs lost jamal charles..one of the best backs...and kept chugging along with some guy charcandrick west.

So watch ball or someone we haven't heard of replace blount and pretty much give us what he has

I hate to be that guy...but running backs can be found from anywhere.

Unless you are a top elite back, losing a running back should not cripple your team

Seahawks lost lynch and kept chugging along, chiefs lost jamal charles..one of the best backs...and kept chugging along with some guy charcandrick west.

So watch ball or someone we haven't heard of replace blount and pretty much give us what he has
But that guy would've been Brandon Bolden or James White, I don't think you can apply that logic to guys signed off the street, necessarily. Maybe you can apply it to Trey Williams who has been here like two weeks, dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes