PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Immediate Game Thoughts - Texas Two Step Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go:

• The Texans' offense was exposed tonight in my opinion. You take away the run and Schaub can't perform. He is too reliant on the play-action. He can't make decisions fast enough when he doesn't have that extra second that he gets when defenses bite on the play-action.

• I don't know that you can form such an opinion based on one outing, it would be like me saying the same thing about Brady after the KC game or the Miami game, it was just a really bad outing, but in the Lions game he didn't just rely on play action and threw for 527 yards.

4 days later he led us on to win after trailing by 14 points with about 5 minutes left in the game, but that's close to impossible to do that on the Patriots.

He's a really good QB but went up with a bad game-plan against the best coach ever and looked a lot worse than he is. Schaub is not Brady, no one is at that level besides Peyton and Rodgers and maybe Luck in a few years, but overall I'm really happy with him as our QB.

All of your other points are spot on, and you guys have a lot to look forward to this year (hopefully as #2 seed so we get our rematch).

Your D has come together at the perfect time and that NE team is scary good.

Great game. You guys sure opened a can of ________ on us. Time to regroup and move forward.

Great bunch of fans the Pats have. Look forward to seeing you guys later in the season.

- 2 consecutive weeks of the offense making big time scoring drives to keep us in control in the 2nd half / 4th quarter. Very exciting that we're getting better at a (former?) weakness.

very important going forward.

It wasn't just the blow out that last night so sweet it was the way it was done. Everyone got involved and we finally saw what a full team 60 minute ass whooping looks like. Between stall worth catching a bomb, Lloyd getting involved, Wilfork being the man, mayo beasting, mccourty stabilizing the secondary, there were players doing good things at every level. My favorite drive and something that can not be understated is the one where Ridley kicked in the door. Such a perfect TD dance for the finish he put on to the game for two weeks in a row now. Very clock killin Corey Dillion like and I LOVE it! This offense has NO weakness when they play like last night

I don't know that you can form such an opinion based on one outing, it would be like me saying the same thing about Brady after the KC game or the Miami game, it was just a really bad outing, but in the Lions game he didn't just rely on play action and threw for 527 yards.

4 days later he led us on to win after trailing by 14 points with about 5 minutes left in the game, but that's close to impossible to do that on the Patriots.

He's a really good QB but went up with a bad game-plan against the best coach ever and looked a lot worse than he is. Schaub is not Brady, no one is at that level besides Peyton and Rodgers and maybe Luck in a few years, but overall I'm really happy with him as our QB.

All of your other points are spot on, and you guys have a lot to look forward to this year (hopefully as #2 seed so we get our rematch).

I still think Schaub is overrated. He is a good QB, but he is limited.

Also, Schaub didn't have 527 yards passing against the Lions. He had 315 yards passing and 68 of them came in overtime that went almost the entire overtime quarter. Getting 315 yards in nearly 5 quarters isn't all that impressive.

Schaub passed for 527 yards against one of the worst pass defense in the league in the Jags. I admit I didn't watch that game, but the Jags' defense is so bad that they are a team Schaub can thrive on without the play-action.

Last edited:
I don't know that you can form such an opinion based on one outing, it would be like me saying the same thing about Brady after the KC game or the Miami game, it was just a really bad outing, but in the Lions game he didn't just rely on play action and threw for 527 yards.

You shouldn't be too down about last night, sure the final score looks bad but you guys have a great team that just had an off night. That man in your picture is the best defensive player in the game. Against any other QB he would have had 2 to 3 sacks but Brady was on fire last night. Sometimes things just happen to go right and mistakes that could kill you don't. The pats had two fumbles last night that could have taken two TDs off the board if the ball had bounced differently. Much respect for your team and I hope we don't see you guys in the playoffs. Though if we do Texan fans have been great this week so please come back.

That was my point in that thread. The Pats kept the Texans' off balance at the beginning of the game by establish the run. Even in the second drive, though they through it 5 times and ran it only once, they had established it once. The TD in that drive came on a beautiful play action that wouldn't have worked if they hadn't so convincingly established the running game, so even though that was a pass play they used the rushing game to set it up. But then there was a long stretch when they just went to the spread and passed on first down out of the shotgun, and the Texans started to tee off. Except for the bomb to Stallworth, I didn't think the Pats were nearly as effective during that stretch of the game, and it made me a bit nervous. Houston's secondary wasn't that great, but I did have a few shudders thinking of the comeback loss to Buffalo last year when the same kind of thing happened.

I think my favorite was where the Texans' blitzer ran right by Brady to tackle the RB. I definitely would be interested to see how the PA stacked up to the empty backfield in this game.

Although I think the MVP is a bit of BS, but it is national games like this that seal MVP wins in close races. Brady ate apart which was supposed to be one of the best defenses in the league with the DPOY on a national stage in what was billed as the game of the season against the two best teams in the AFC if not the league.

That's a terrifying thought.

THIS. Multiplied by 100.

BB, just get anyone else please. WW is too important to the offense to dissipate him on PR's. Last night was a stark example.

As the game wore on, you could see him fading, fading, fading and dropping, dropping, dropping. Don't screw up a great weapon.

I think Dan Connoly could do a nice job :D

If the Houston guys are still around here. Is it typical that when the defense is stacking against the run, that you guys continue to try and run? I would have thought that the Texans would have aired the ball a bit more (earlier in the game). Does Shaub do a good job ta reading the defense and taking what the defense gives you or is it whatever the Offense calls is the play they will go with?

Maybe they just didn't want to tip their hand in case they see us again, but I didn't get that impression from the way they were talking earlier in the week.

Alfonso Dennard have make me completely forget the Useless-Dowling selection all is forgiven BB.:cool:

I still think Schaub is overrated. He is a good QB, but he is limited.

Also, Schaub didn't have 527 yards passing against the Lions. He had 315 yards passing and 68 of them came in overtime that went almost the entire overtime quarter. Getting 315 yards in nearly 5 quarters isn't all that impressive.

Schaub passed for 527 yards against one of the worst pass defense in the league in the Jags. I admit I didn't watch that game, but the Jags' defense is so bad that they are a team Schaub can thrive on without the play-action.

Yeah I got the 4 days thing right but mistyped on the actual game. The point is that everyone in Houston is killing Schaub today and it's like I think the view that he's not a good QB or even a Superbowl winning QB is from some flawed opinion and hearsay than actual objective observation. Watch him on a "good day" and tell me he's not really good. He is not Rodgers, Manning, or Brady, but NO ONE except those guys are those guys, and unless you can hit a once in a lifetime home run (like Indy has done twice now and like you guys did with your 6th round draft pick) having someone even as good as Schaub is not easy, I mean if a team quarterbacked by Mark Sanchez can make an AFCCG surely a team with Schaub can win a Superbowl, he is much better than Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson, that's for damn sure.

I think what it comes down to is we got big time outcoached. BB is used to changing his entire game plan for a specific team and even during the game, but what we have been doing has worked 11 out of 12 times, so I think Wade and Kubs got complacent and stubborn and instead of saying "our man to man works on 95% of the league, but it is NOT going to work on the Pats, Broncos, or Packers" they said "We're not going to change our game plan or how we've been winning"

The coaches put the players in a bad position last night and it had nothing to do with letterman jackets (which I actually really liked) or it being a "big game" or anything like that. Bad coaching begets bad results, and BB has a way of magnifying bad coaching on opposing teams.

I would prefer Kubs and Wade learn their lesson now than in the playoffs and I hope they change their game plan going against hall of fame quarterbacks, especially if said QB/Coach combo have played in 5 Superbowls and won 3 and probably should have one all 5 and have literally seen everything under the sun.

Last edited:
Yeah I got the 4 days thing right but mistyped on the actual game. The point is that everyone in Houston is killing Schaub today and it's like I think the view that he's not a good QB or even a Superbowl winning QB is from some flawed opinion and hearsay than actual objective observation. Watch him on a "good day" and tell me he's not really good. He is not Rodgers, Manning, or Brady, but NO ONE except those guys are those guys, and unless you can hit a once in a lifetime home run (like Indy has done twice now and like you guys did with your 6th round draft pick) having someone even as good as Schaub is not easy, I mean if a team quarterbacked by Mark Sanchez can make an AFCCG surely a team with Schaub can win a Superbowl, he is much better than Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson, that's for damn sure.

I think what it comes down to is we got big time outcoached. BB is used to changing his entire game plan for a specific team and even during the game, but what we have been doing has worked 11 out of 12 times, so I think Wade and Kubs got complacent and stubborn and instead of saying "our man to man works on 95% of the league, but it is NOT going to work on the Pats, Broncos, or Packers" they said "We're not going to change our game plan or how we've been winning"

The coaches put the players in a bad position last night and it had nothing to do with letterman jackets (which I actually really liked) or it being a "big game" or anything like that. Bad coaching begets bad results, and BB has a way of magnifying bad coaching on opposing teams.

I would prefer Kubs and Wade learn their lesson now than in the playoffs and I hope they change their game plan going against hall of fame quarterbacks, especially if said QB/Coach combo have played in 5 Superbowls and won 3 and probably should have one all 5 and have literally seen everything under the sun.

Just a thought I had that might make texans feel better, in 2001 the pats played the greatest show on turf during the regular season and blitzed the hell out of Kurt Warner, something like 42 times, it did not work. Kurt ate the blitz to the tune of 400 plus yards. Round 2 in the Super Bowl they changed the gameplan to focus on Faulk.....and well I am sure you remember the results. Could be the same thing, ok we thought this would work but it doesn't so let's try something new.

Yeah I got the 4 days thing right but mistyped on the actual game. The point is that everyone in Houston is killing Schaub today and it's like I think the view that he's not a good QB or even a Superbowl winning QB is from some flawed opinion and hearsay than actual objective observation. Watch him on a "good day" and tell me he's not really good. He is not Rodgers, Manning, or Brady, but NO ONE except those guys are those guys, and unless you can hit a once in a lifetime home run (like Indy has done twice now and like you guys did with your 6th round draft pick) having someone even as good as Schaub is not easy, I mean if a team quarterbacked by Mark Sanchez can make an AFCCG surely a team with Schaub can win a Superbowl, he is much better than Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson, that's for damn sure...

Shaub is like Cutler, IMO. Even when things are going great, they're missing that special something. You can't necessarily put a finger on what "it" is (although Cutler's a chucklehead on top of everything else), but "it" is just not there.

As an aside, are there any Texans reporters (besides McClain and Ganguli) who are worth following on Twitter?

Shaub is like Cutler, IMO. Even when things are going great, they're missing that special something. You can't necessarily put a finger on what "it" is (although Cutler's a chucklehead on top of everything else), but "it" is just not there.

As an aside, are there any Texans reporters (besides McClain and Ganguli) who are worth following on Twitter?

I can see the comparison, but Schaub is a lot smarter and more composed than Cutler, but Cutler has more raw strength and talent, if you could put Schaub's brain in Cutler's body, you'd have something like Big Ben.

Other than the hall of famers and crunch time studs (rodgers, manning, manning, brady, brees, perhaps Luck & RG3) who else would we rather have? Elite QBs are hard to find. We struck gold with Foster, Watt, Johnson, Joseph and Wade Phillips, so asking to have someone much better than Schaub might be a little greedy.

On a side now, can you believe how smart the Texans look not offering Mario a huge contract and basically replacing him with Watt who is 5 times the player at 1/5th the cost! That's right out of BB's book!

Actually a lot of Texans fans (me included) hate John McClain, he's overly pessimistic so when they win he's like "I thought they might but some of their flaws concerned me..." and when they lose he has this "I told you so" attitude and he's just really annoying. Marc Vandermeer, who does the play by play and has a radio show on talk radio here is a really good follow and a good radio personality https://twitter.com/TexansVoice and of course Arian Foster is probably the best follow ever for entertainment value, not really information https://twitter.com/ArianFoster

Status
Not open for further replies.

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back