PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm so glad we never went "all in"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Patriot Guy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Remember 5, 6, 7 years ago when Brady's window was closing and we needed to load up to get him #4? We needed to stop being financially responsible and become big time players in free agency. We needed to stop trading players away. We needed to stop moving back in the draft and accumulating picks. Instead, we needed to move up for impact players. Sure, it might hurt our future, but it would be worth it to get that 4th title.

Well, now Brady has 5, and while we certainly will face losing some key players this off-season, we'll have the money to reload and give Brady a real chance at #6.

Maybe Bill and Nick know what they're doing after all.

Hightower is number 1 priority.

And number 2.

And 3.

But they better go all in now. No reason not too. They got cap space and the window isn't getting bigger. :D

To be fair, if you look at the game day roster from the superbowl, we had only 1 of our previous 5 top picks active.

Jones gone
Collins gone
Easley gone
Brown active
Jones inactive

I mention that because we tend to live in this myth that we can't afford to move up because we turn all our top picks in to top players. The reality, at least recently, slants a different direction.

we tend to live in this myth that we can't afford to move up because we turn all our top picks in to top players. The reality, at least recently, slants a different direction.

I've honestly never heard this argument. The main argument against going all-in is that you're sacrificing the future for the present. Some fans have been ok with that tradeoff on the basis that the present has Brady and the future might not, so anything that might "put you over the top" right now is worth it.

Of course, they've been saying that for years and now yesterday's future is today's present -- with Brady. :)

The other argument is that you need 53 good players, not just a couple of great ones, and that more picks means more opportunities to find good cheap talent. It's worth noting that the Falcons went all-in on Julio Jones, and despite netting a future Hall of Famer watched their team fall apart from lack of youth and depth. They've gradually rebuilt on the strength of deep drafts with mid-round contributors like Coleman and Jarrett.

I've honestly never heard this argument. The main argument against going all-in is that you're sacrificing the future for the present. Some fans have been ok with that tradeoff on the basis that the present has Brady and the future might not, so anything that might "put you over the top" right now is worth it.

Of course, they've been saying that for years and now yesterday's future is today's present -- with Brady. :)

The other argument is that you need 53 good players, not just a couple of great ones, and that more picks means more opportunities to find good cheap talent. It's worth noting that the Falcons went all-in on Julio Jones, and despite netting a future Hall of Famer watched their team fall apart from lack of youth and depth. They've gradually rebuilt on the strength of deep drafts with mid-round contributors like Coleman and Jarrett.
The reality is right now the Patriots compete for the Super Bowl every single year because of what they do and how they operate.

Folks didn't think that Bill was going all in when he got rid of Jones and then Collins.
He wasn't. He was maximizing the long term calue of his roster.

As well as apparently doing addition by subtraction with Jc.

To be fair, if you look at the game day roster from the superbowl, we had only 1 of our previous 5 top picks active.

Jones gone
Collins gone
Easley gone
Brown active
Jones inactive

I mention that because we tend to live in this myth that we can't afford to move up because we turn all our top picks in to top players. The reality, at least recently, slants a different direction.

You are not particularly sincere with that post. Let me just take your first name as an example:

Jones being gone is directly responsible for bringing in Thuney and Mitchell who both were very relevant to our season this year. So his pick still produced even after he was gone. That after bringing valuable production as a pass rusher on a rookie contract to the team for 4 years.

It's worth noting that the Falcons went all-in on Julio Jones, and despite netting a future Hall of Famer watched their team fall apart from lack of youth and depth. They've gradually rebuilt on the strength of deep drafts with mid-round contributors like Coleman and Jarrett.

Winner. The thing that made me most laugh in the last two weeks was all the stupid hot takes on how Dimitroff was so clever not to listen to BB's advice about Jones. First of all those takes missed the point entirely where it was not about Jones but about sacrificing a lot of depth for one blue chip player who has the same injury probability as anyone else. And then moreover they argued that something that happened more than 5 years later, when Jones wasn't on his rookie contract anymore vindicated the choice in the first place even though there are 3 years of futility in between that absolutely made BB's point.

Certainly you have heard (or read) comments that BBs ability to draft and coach up late first/early second picks negates the need to move high up in the draft to get a ready made difference maker?

My wording may not have been clear enough, but this has been a well talked about, and highly accepted mindset here.

I am not saying trading up earlier would have changed anything, but challenging the idea that this team couldn't afford such a mindset.

We won this title (and the last) because we have been dominating mid round picks, Udfas, comp picks, trades and free agency. BB gives himself more options than everybody else by using every tool more effectively than other teams.

He hasn't gone "all-in" the way some may view the term, but my argument is he could have, and it wouldn't have affected the teams outcome.

You are not particularly sincere with that post. Let me just take your first name as an example:

Jones being gone is directly responsible for bringing in Thuney and Mitchell who both were very relevant to our season this year. So his pick still produced even after he was gone. That after bringing valuable production as a pass rusher on a rookie contract to the team for 4 years.

Also we won a superbowl with most of those guys 2 years ago so...

But they better go all in now. No reason not too. They got cap space and the window isn't getting bigger. :D

except that just maybe the team can compete without brady, and as sweet as this is, imagine winning one two or three yrs after he retires? granted we aren't seeing 25 pt 4th quarters in whatever phase comes after this, but wouldn't you at least like to see a playoff contender fielded?

either way dont expect belichick to screw with what's worked already

I don't care! I can't stand it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results