PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm not feeling very confident, reassure me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "vaunted" Packers might have been the most overrated offense in history. Not only did they show major concerns late in the season, but Rodgers probably took way too much time away from the game by sitting week 17 with a bye week to follow. But to the point: The average rank of the defenses the Packers faced: 22.75. The defenses averaged surrendering 24.7 PPG. The best defense they faced all year was the CHIEFS (12th)! They didn't face a single top 10 defense. Here's the ranks for the opponents defense faced: 12th, 13th, 14th (x2), 18th, 22nd, 23rd (x2), 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th, 29th, 31st (x2), 32nd. That's a LOT of games against BAD defenses.

I AGREE the Giants are better right now than they were earlier in the season, that's why I put up stats for their current 5 game win streak. You should have looked because you would have seen that even during this hot streak with a 100% healthy D-line, they STILL haven't out performed the Pats in the same time frame (in respect to sacks, hits for loss, and QB hits both on defense and for protection on offense). The Pats have done a better job protecting Brady while facing tougher teams (in respect to sack totals/overall defense).

The idea that the Pats O-line can't handle the Giants front 4 is just ridiculous. The '07 Superbowl was 4 YEARS AGO and was more about losing our starting tackles right before the game than just getting mauled. It's a completely different O-line now though.

People also want to tear the Pats defense apart for the play during the regular season. The fact is this: the Pats defense was 15th in Points allowed. They weren't a terrible defense, they were average. Add in healthy Spikes, Mayo, Chung, as well as Moore's emergence and overall improvement as the year progressed and it's a solid defense. Honestly our defense is MUCH more improved than the Giants now and we were much better to begin with. The offense isn't even a contest.

Also, don't forget how bad the Giants secondary is....

Oh yeah, and you mentioned shutting down San Fran. Alix Smith. Really?
Alex Smith 2011 Reg. Season: 196.5 Y/G, 7.3 Y/A, 61.3% comp, 17TD, 5 INT, 90.7 QB Rating
Alex Smith in the Giants loss: 196 Yards, 7.5 Y/A, 46.2% comp, 2 TD, 0 INT, 97.6 QB Rating

OH, and don't forget the 42 rushing yards he had (7 Y/A), way more than his 16.3 rush yards per game average.... Yeah, you guys totally shut that guy down!

Oh yeah, and how about that 150 yards rushing on your vaunted D. You held an average offense to 17 points. WOW.
And Pats defense is #2 in efficiency. Which trumps both points and yards. They were right there with Pittsburg, 49ers, better than Baltimore. It's the Giants D that's been average. Not the Patriots.

GB didn't have a problem slicing through their defense either. They sliced through the Giants just fine before.

What they never had before was 8 dropped passes by their receivers. I'm not talking incompletions. But straight up drops on huge plays.

And don't forget Giants allowed Rodgers to rush for 66 yards. He was GB's best rusher.

Rodgers had 7 rushes for 66 yards, at 9.4 yards per carry. (LOL, yeah, BB's going to be running some)
NY's Bradshaw 12 rushes for 63 at 5.3 yards per carry.

I think the Giants deserved that win though because the refs were clearly trying to help GB. But no one could help that team on that day.

The story of that game was simple 4 turnovers. GB was -3. Not even the Pats could cover -3.

Last edited:
Elite Defense my arse !

The Giants gave up 25+ points per game. Not even when the Pats injured Defense reduced to playing a pair of WRs as Safeties in an emergency, ever declined to giving up 25 points per game !!!!

What was your record against the mighty awesome, (and overhyped), NFCE? I bet it wasn't 3-1 or .750 ball like the Pats did. Did'nt you lose to the Cowboys, and to the Redskins, and to the Eagles, for a poor 3-3 or .500 record with your supposedly "tough" division schedule? For that matter did 'nt you barely plaly .500 ball all year?

Oh excuuuuuzzze me!!!!, Y'all were a League power at 9-7, one game over .500!

Giants had a much tougher schedule than the Pats, regular season and playoffs.

Not even arguable.

Giants had a much tougher schedule than the Pats, regular season and playoffs.

Not even arguable.

Interesting in all this analysis the fact that the Ravens are the ONLY team Pats have beaten with a winning record this year, is somewhat overlooked.

Interesting in all this analysis the fact that the Ravens are the ONLY team Pats have beaten with a winning record this year, is somewhat overlooked.

WRONG.

Dude, that's mentioned every 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

I'm not feeling very confident, reassure me.

There ya go, pal: :rolleyes:

f709508b-0b64-4915-9ea7-b4b904f130c0.jpg

And how many did the Giants beat before the playoffs? The Ravens and GB beat the most playoff teams, yet they are both at home.Try Again!

I'm not really sure why you wouldn't at least feel like they are competent and capable of playing very well. I'm not saying you should think the Pats' D is amazing, but anecdotally and empirically they have played pretty well, especially recently.

Exactly.

If they'd only been playing well anecdotally, then I could see the concern.

But as they've been playing well both anecdotally and empirically...one has good reason to be confident. :D

*Just playing, Brother Hoss!! I, for one, am PUMPED that we clearly have another excellent FootBall mind, here, to elevate the conversation!! WELCOME!! :D

My little brother Ray Ray came close to stealing my Avatar..... :D

And how many did the Giants beat before the playoffs? The Ravens and GB beat the most playoff teams, yet they are both at home.Try Again!

It's just a response to the 13-3 is better than 9-7 nonsense. The Pats had one of the easiest schedules in the league, and the Giants one of the hardest. You can't compare records, or even stats, really.

It's just a response to the 13-3 is better than 9-7 nonsense. The Pats had one of the easiest schedules in the league, and the Giants one of the hardest. You can't compare records, or even stats, really.

Yeah, but they lost to a lot of bad teams too, so IMO its moot.

And Pats defense is #2 in efficiency. Which trumps both points and yards. They were right there with Pittsburg, 49ers, better than Baltimore. It's the Giants D that's been average. Not the Patriots.

GB didn't have a problem slicing through their defense either. They sliced through the Giants just fine before.

What they never had before was 8 dropped passes by their receivers. I'm not talking incompletions. But straight up drops on huge plays.

And don't forget Giants allowed Rodgers to rush for 66 yards. He was GB's best rusher.

Rodgers had 7 rushes for 66 yards, at 9.4 yards per carry. (LOL, yeah, BB's going to be running some)
NY's Bradshaw 12 rushes for 63 at 5.3 yards per carry.

I think the Giants deserved that win though because the refs were clearly trying to help GB. But no one could help that team on that day.

The story of that game was simple 4 turnovers. GB was -3. Not even the Pats could cover -3.

While yes, the Pats are #2 in defensive efficiency, I wouldn't say it necessarily trumps points allowed or as a final indication of being a top 5 defense. 15th in points, 29th in yards per play (6.2), 32nd in 1st per game (23.1), 28th in 3rd down conversions (43%), 24th in TOP, 14th in sacks (40), 30th in plays per game (66.9), 27th in 1st downs per play (0.335), 27th in punts per play (0.1), 17th in punts per offensive score (1.2), etc etc

Considering the fact that Pittsburgh and the 49ers were in the top 5 in just about every one of those categories, I take the yards per point stat with a grain of salt. When only one stat say's we're great while everything else say's average or bad, I'm going to side with the body of evidence. I love yards per point stats, but they aren't the end all be all. Great predictors, but not with out any flaws.

Glum_Liliputian.png

We'll never make it to the playoffs.
We'll never make it past the first round.
We'll never make it past the Packers
We'll never make it past the Saints
We'll never make it past the Giants in the SB.

We are DOOMED.:):rolleyes:

I started without much confidence following the Giants win on Sunday, but I'm becoming more confident by the day. Loved looking at the breakdown of the horrible O-line play in another thread from the Super Bowl that shall not be named. That won't happen again. I think this O-line is better and healthier than last time and will be better prepared. I've long been a Light critic, but he's really played well this year. Mankins looked healthy Sunday and I simply can't imagine he'll turn into a turnstile again. Connolly has played well all year and is a stronger center than Koppin was (I'd like to see the draft a stud center in this draft). Waters has been simply outstanding and will be far, far better than the Neal/Hochstein combo. Solder may give up a couple plays and concerns me a little, but I'd still take him over Kaczur. Yeah, the Giants D-line is good, but Brady will have time to pass in the Super Bowl. They will score 30+.

On the Other side of the ball, Eli is better this time around, but he will throw some balls up for grabs. Hell the only reason he didn't have 2 picks on Sunday was that 2 passes were so bad that twice 2 49ers collided with each other because each had a great hance for an interception. I see a pick for Mccourty on Sunday from the safety position. The giants will score but not more than 30. I see a 7-10 point win for the Pats.

So why are you comparing records and stats?

The Ravens had one of the hardest schedules this year, according to opponent win/loss records, which is still a flawed stat. Didn't work out for them.

Deep breathing.....

Anyone who claims to be able to predict how this game will play out is BS'ing. That being said I think we will win ... I know we can win ... I will not say for sure that we will win. If I had to guess one area that will make a difference I will say special teams will be a major factor.

Hey man, how confident were you in 2007 Superbowl against the Giants? How'd that work out for ya? I look forward to a great game and I just want the Pats and TB to bring their A game. The Giants have plenty of holes too and our coach has 2 weeks to prep for.
We're in good shape and I hope like hell for a W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST