PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm disgusted to be a Patriots fan today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think more than being embarassed at being a pats fan, more than being embarassed at being a NE native...I am embarassed to be a human being. That's how bad their loss was yesterday.

People are mistaking being upset and venting and being Chicken Littles and loser fans. There are people on this board who have a part of them who are rooting for this team to fail (not consciously) just so they can biatch about their favorite targets whether it is Ochocinco, Bill O'Brien, or whoever.

BTW, the "I told you so" fan is the worse type of fan. They secretely root for the team to fail so they can say "See I told you <certain player> was going to be a bust" or "See I told you that they didn't fix this problem". They relish in their own personal satisfaction that they were right at the expense of the team.

I don't have any problem with people complaining and venting after a loss. That is not what I am talking about. I am talking about the people who seem to be only happy when they are miserable and there is a part of them that want this team to fail. I used to laugh at Red Sox fans for this and now I see it with Pats fans. Even in wins, these same people are biatching about something.

But that's the point. Who cares about the "chicken littles." It's hard to see where you lovers of all things Pats differentiate between the two. Many good fans have been waiting for a respectable Patriots defense to be formed for many years now. But inevitably when the breakdowns occur and the fingers are pointed the "true fans" start calling out the fakers. It's never the other way around. Really, it's annoying. Just make your post and leave it at that. Why the need to waste your time calling out the trolls or overreactors instead of engaging those who have legitimate angst. We get it, some of you are superfans with much more knowledge of the Patriots way than the rest of us.

Last edited:
The Team will win or lose on the arm of Tom Brady until the defense improves. If it improves.

If the D improves, the Pats have a shot at another Championship. If it doesnt, history from 2005 will likely repeat it itself.

And that's all folks. It's been this way for a little too long for some of us. That being said, RayClay is right, we're spoiled a bit.

As far as the defense goes,anyone knows with half a brain that the better a defense is with players in their 30s that win championships makes it that much harder to keep that defense still great when those guys retire.

Too many defensive players from the glory years all retired or left too quickly to keep the defense on top for another 10 years.....with that said, Belichick has tried his best to keep the defense decent,it is not an easy task when not one player on defense from those super bowl years is on the roster.

It's just not easy to replace that core we had....I don't care how good a coach Belichick is,it's extremely tough.

But that's the point. Who cares about the "chicken littles." It's hard to see where you lovers of all things Pats differentiate between the two. Many good fans have been waiting for a respectable Patriots defense to be formed for many years now. But inevitably when the breakdowns occur and the fingers are pointed the "true fans" start calling out the fakers. It's never the other way around. Really, it's annoying. Just make your post and leave it at that. Why the need to waste your time calling out the trolls or overreactors instead of engaging those who have legitimate angst. We get it, some of you are superfans with much more knowledge of the Patriots way than the rest of us.

Huh? I am constantly called a homer whenever the Pats lose and I refuse to say this team is doomed and gloom. When I voice my concerns, but remain positive for the future it is considered rose colored glasses homerism. It goes both ways.

I'm sorry, but I am not talking about every person complaining today. I am talking about the increasingly growing group who are complaining during wins and losses. Last week, the Pats beat a good team by double digits and there are people here who spent the entire week complaining about Chad Ochocinco and Devin McCourty.

The problem is that the fans with legitimate gribs are being drowned out by the Chicken Littles. I haven't really gotten into it with them on those threads to derail them and kept most of my griping in this thread, but every thread with legitimate concerns are getting derailed by the Chicken Littles and homers fighting with each other.

As far as the defense goes,anyone knows with half a brain that the better a defense is with players in their 30s that win championships makes it that much harder to keep that defense still great when those guys retire.

Too many defensive players from the glory years all retired or left too quickly to keep the defense on top for another 10 years.....with that said, Belichick has tried his best to keep the defense decent,it is not an easy task when not one player on defense from those super bowl years is on the roster.

It's just not easy to replace that core we had....I don't care how good a coach Belichick is,it's extremely tough.

************, who's saying "on top." The strawman "with half a brain" would settle for progressing towards good (then possibly very good later on).

Last edited:
Huh? I am constantly called a homer whenever the Pats lose and I refuse to say this team is doomed and gloom. When I voice my concerns, but remain positive for the future it is considered rose colored glasses homerism. It goes both ways.

I'm sorry, but I am not talking about every person complaining today. I am talking about the increasingly growing group who are complaining during wins and losses. Last week, the Pats beat a good team by double digits and there are people here who spent the entire week complaining about Chad Ochocinco and Devin McCourty.

The problem is that the fans with legitimate gribs are being drowned out by the Chicken Littles. I haven't really gotten into it with them on those threads to derail them and kept most of my griping in this thread, but every thread with legitimate concerns are getting derailed by the Chicken Littles and homers fighting with each other.

I hear you. But, I would say, overall, this site has some of the best posters, as compared to other boards that I've read.

So the complaints about McCourty and Ochocinco last week were not legitimate?

So the complaints about McCourty and Ochocinco last week were not legitimate?

It is one thing to complain and another thing to obsess. Spending the entire week calling Ochocinco "Ochostinko", making Tweet references, comparing him to Joey Galloway, etc. or calling McCourty "Butler 2.0", a bust, etc. without much much actual real analysis like what went on last week is not legitimate. It is just a bunch of spoiled whiners who cannot be happy and need an object of obsession to make their lives better. There were more threads bashing Ochocinco (who is the #3 WR) and McCourty last week than anything else.

Last edited:
Exhibit A of what I am talking about.

Last week when the Pats' offense was unstoppable and Brady had two historic performance, there wasn't complaining. After a loss where the offense put up 31 points (although Brady threw four picks for the first time in five years), people go back to their favorite crutch - OC bashing. If you are going to complain, people do something original.

No Qb has ever won a Super Bowl the same year he led the league in yards passing. I want this team to win the SB. I am not content with "historic passing performances." Are you?

Let's look at the average # points this team has scored in its last 4 playoff games:

17.5 points per game.

Criticism of this offense is justified by both the history of the game, as indicated in my previous posts in this thread, and by recent playoff performance.

At whom should we direct our constructive criticism? If the problem is philosophical, at the individuals who apply that philosophy: O'Brien and Brady.

I am not above criticism, you are not above criticism, and neither are Obrien and Brady. They are not demigods, they are men like you and I. When they make errors in judgment, true fans bring attention to those errors, in the hope that similar errors are avoided in the future.

That is why I have argued in my posts that the Pats must commit to running the ball, not just as a side show. If they do, another SB victory is possible.

Last edited:
It is one thing to complain and another thing to obsess. Spending the entire week calling Ochocinco "Ochostinko", making Tweet references, comparing him to Joey Galloway, etc. or calling McCourty "Butler 2.0", a bust, etc. without much much actual real analysis like what went on last week is not legitimate. It is just a bunch of spoiled whiners who cannot be happy and need an object of obsession to make their lives better. There were more threads bashing Ochocinco (who is the #3 WR) and McCourty last week than anything else.

So the level of complaints is the problem?

You can't control how someone feels about their team and how they want to react. Like someone said earlier, read their comments or don't read their comments and keep it moving.

While I agree that some posters take it to the extreme when they criticize the team (bench Brady, fire BB, etc), posters on the other end also are nuts (this team is better than 07, etc). Take it with a grain of salt man, and don't take it personally.

So the level of complaints is the problem?

You can't control how someone feels about their team and how they want to react. Like someone said earlier, read their comments or don't read their comments and keep it moving.

While I agree that some posters take it to the extreme when they criticize the team (bench Brady, fire BB, etc), posters on the other end also are nuts (this team is better than 07, etc). Take it with a grain of salt man, and don't take it personally.

To the original poster, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

A few days ago, every Pats fan and their mother was slopping up the praise our team and TFB were receiving. We did this because deep down we had concerns. Concerns about the defense more specifically. And when we lost yesterday, those concerns were brought to the forefront in a hurricane of emotion. I think this is why we are seeing so many doomsday posts and threads here.

Having said that, yesterday sucked to be a Pats fan. But if any of you recall, the last time we lost to the Bills, we got shutout. We then went on to win a SB. Now, that isn't exactly a stat worth a penny, but it goes to show how sometimes a loss can galvanize a team to pick up their britches and press on.

Let's hope it's the same with this team as it was then.

If I go to a game this year, I'll bring a paper bag just in case. They are that bad, that embarassing. Maybe it's good for me...I've learned my lesson (yet again), not to get caught up in a team. They'll almost always break your heart.

they want to be able to biatch about Bill O'Brien, Devin McCourty, and Chad Ochocinco. It is like their lives aren't fulfilled unless they can complain.

To be fair those players and coach didn't exactly have great days yesterday.

They were complaining about them (especially McCourty) for good reason. McCourty has been the worse corner on this team going back to the preseason, he has consistently been getting beat, all season long. If this is your gripe, then you probably should find another gripe.

well i dont want to say the game has passed belichick by because it hasnt, but the team so uncharistic today.. i think i rather get blown out 44-0... then to lose like that espcially when the franchise played like caca... its still a long season...

The Pats were just abusing Buffalo in the first half until one huge play changed everything.

NE - drives 80 yds in 9 plays, scores a TD (NE, 7-0)

Buf - 2nd play, intercepted, NE gets ball back at Buf 35

NE - drives 35 yds in 6 plays, scores a TD (NE, 14-0)

Buf - drives 45 yds to NE 40, doesn't convert on 3rd down, then goes for a 4th and 14 (desperate already?) from NE's 35. NE intercepts Fitzpatrick

NE - 3 and out

Buf - 3 and out

NE - on 2nd and 9 from NE 30, Brady hits Gronk for 30 yards and the Pats are marching again...but a questionable penalty on Solder brings it back...Pats end up punting

Buf - 4 plays and punt

NE - drives 65 yds in 5 plays, scores a TD (NE, 21-0)
- - - - -
Now at this point, the game is a rout. Buffalo has done nothing. NE has moved the ball essentially at will and leads by three touchdowns. I'm sure nobody was complaining at this point about the NE coaching staff.
- - - - -
Buf - nice drive, goes 96 yards, scores a TD on a really nice pass play in the corner of the end zone (NE, 21-7)

NE - marches right back down the field, driving to Buffalo's 13 yard line with just over a minute to go in the half. On 1st down from the Buf 13, Brady hits Woodhead on the sideline...but Woodhead stumbles and the ball pops up in the air and Buffalo makes a really nice interception. Total bad luck on that play. Instead of NE being up 28-7, Buffalo gets the ball back and marches down to kick a field goal that makes it 21-10 at the half.

Now, I submit that this was the single most important play of the game. Buffalo had scored a TD that trimmed the lead to 14...still a big deficit but manageable, especially considering that Buffalo was due to get the ball back to start the 2nd half. But New England motored right down the field for a TD that would have put them back up 21, and would have squelched any Buffalo momentum.

But a very, very unlucky play kills the drive and it ends up being a 10-point swing in Buffalo's favor.

Games are made up of these kinds of things, obviously. But my goodness...it was such crap that they weren't up 21 at the half. This game *should* have been a blowout...the Pats were dominating the game until this moment.

After the first 21 points, the team was an embarrassment. I might disagree with the takes of people who are calling for guys like Johnson and Edelman to be cut, but it's certainly understandable that people are pissed off and reacting strongly to that abomination of a game. That's particularly true in terms of reacting to the defense, which has been pretty darned bad in all 3 games of this young season.

I like how we're a "good divisional opponent" now.

Yay. :)

A few days ago, every Pats fan and their mother was slopping up the praise our team and TFB were receiving. We did this because deep down we had concerns. Concerns about the defense more specifically. And when we lost yesterday, those concerns were brought to the forefront in a hurricane of emotion. I think this is why we are seeing so many doomsday posts and threads here.

Having said that, yesterday sucked to be a Pats fan. But if any of you recall, the last time we lost to the Bills, we got shutout. We then went on to win a SB. Now, that isn't exactly a stat worth a penny, but it goes to show how sometimes a loss can galvanize a team to pick up their britches and press on.

Let's hope it's the same with this team as it was then.

That team had a nucleus of a defense that were together for years and finally became one solidified unit,this years defense is full of scraps,pieces and parts like a jigsaw puzzle with missing pieces....Belichick better find that piece and put it together fast.

Bruschi,McGinest,Vrabel,Washington (1 great year) and Harrison (fit like he was here forever) are not walking through that door ever again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore