PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If you could have re-signed one vet of the SB teams...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzafted

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Which one would it be?

Givens, Branch, Vinatieri, McGinest, Law, Woody?

I'm thinking Vinatieri, honestly. An automatic 3 is important. It's a whole different game on Sunday if we get that 3 on the board early. Less panic, at the end of the game it's one score...

Oh and get the F*ck off Brady's case, the man brought us 3 rings and a 21 game win streak. If he loses every game this season and publicly names his teddy bear "Deion" in a press conference, you still don't have the right to give him sh*t. Every game we play, we have a good chance of winning because of him. That's more than about 20 NFL teams can say.

Grizzafted said:
Which one would it be?

I'm thinking Vinatieri, honestly. An automatic 3 is important. It's a whole different game on Sunday if we get that 3 on the board early. Less panic, at the end of the game it's one score...

Oh and get the F*ck off Brady's case, the man brought us 3 rings and a 21 game win streak. If he loses every game this season and publicly names his teddy bear "Deion" in a press conference, you still don't have the right to give him sh*t. Every game we play, we have a good chance of winning because of him. That's more than about 20 NFL teams can say.

Ty Law would be my choice.

Charlie Weis

Since this is make-believe can we say whoever we re-sign is in their prime?

If so, Ty Law.

without hesitation I would pick Law. I miss the days when our defense was a turnover machine, Law's ability was a direct result of that. IMO his dominance on his side of the field made tyrone poole (who had 6 ints) better that he was. on 3rd down teams would hardly throw in his direction our team knew that and it allowed guys like poole to cheat on the ball and jump routes. Ty Law's dominant presence trickeled throughout the defensive secondary. I wished we could have gotten him during the offseason.

Grizzafted said:
Which one would it be?

None of them.

If you live in the past, you don't win in this league. We actually offered Vinatieri the highest salary of any kicker.

He left. He didn't want to play here. He wanted to play in a dome. he wants to get easy kicks to get in the hall of fame.

People remember the flawless performances and forget every player was a rookie once and struggled.

From todays Globe:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/09/27/one_step_at_a_time/

"Cappelletti, who provides color commentary for Patriots radio broadcasts, remembers that Adam Vinatieri had a similar dip early in his career. The Patriots were visiting Buffalo and Vinatieri -- in his second career game -- missed from 45 and 25 yards, and had a 47-yard attempt blocked.

I guess some people would have cut a rookie like that for a vet.

Maybe Pro personnel people do know what their doing?

Charlie Weiss is the obvious answer.

I'd trade every offensive starter except Brady for Weiss.

I'm asking about guys that they could have kept but didn't for financial reasons, despite ending up 12 mil under the cap. You can say, sure, it's stupid to re-sign all of them, but I can't help but feel like one or two of them could be a big help.

Grizzafted said:
Which one would it be?

Vinatieri, not that I wouldn't want to have each and every one of them.

My reason: what a FG kicker does is a unique combination of "head" and atheletic ability and replacing as clutch a guy as #4 brings with it a lot more unknowns than replacing a great player at another position. He was/is a truly unique performer in the history of the game back to the Snow Bowl and through the three SB wins, no matter how much he might have "lost" off of those years.

Last edited:
Law.

I really like Adam, but he is a kicker. Law would have a bigger impact every game. Plus, he had a big-play mentality.

Ty Law too, although I think one of the biggest problems has been the unexpected retirement of Ted Johnson. If we could just have sqeezed another two seasons out of him, we'd be in a better place.

Player: Law

Other than a player: Weiss.

I think, more than anyone else our team misses those two. Weiss just had an effect on the troops. And Law, while penalty ridden, was a playmaker. Which our defense seems to be lacking since his departure.

Yeah, I miss Weis too. I never watch college football, yet now I watch all the Notre Dame games because of Charlie.

Law in his prime, yes.

Older Law with a broken foot for 8-12 mil.? No.

These decisions aren't made in a vacuum.

Once Law realized he'd way over priced himself, we almost resigned him but KC did.

I think we need a top CB, but you can't reach into the past. Ty Law in his prime doesn't exist anymore.

Last edited:
Willie McGinest.(honourable mention ,Ty law)

Ty Law last year we would have got another SB. (IMO)
His 10 INTs
no D Starks fiasco

RayClay said:
Ty Law in his prime doesn't exist anymore.

As a CB, but he will be a top notch safety for a couple of years before retiring.

jct said:
Ty Law last year we would have got another SB. (IMO)
His 10 INTs
no D Starks fiasco

People complain about his PI's but honestly I would rather have a DB who knows he is beat interfere with the receiver than give up a sure TD at least with the interference you have a shot to limit them to a FG or get a turnover.

McGinest, he had a very good year last year, was a great leader in the locker room, and always seemed to come up with the big play in the biggest situations. Law is a good thought as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back