PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

IF Wes Welker retires from NFL, will he sign 1-day deal with Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie M, Ty Law and WWW all left the Pats for other teams.
The Pats HOF difference being that Ty and Willie made several BIG clutch plays that delivered championships. Wes had his drop(s).

Given that we're in an unprecedented Championship era and it's hopefully not over yet, Pats HOF slots should be for those whose great play and key contributions in clutch situations delivered hard to acquire Championships, not guys who ran up the stats.

Agreed.

You can't reason with people who love regular season stats over playoff performance though. Surprisingly there are quite a few such people on this forum. Closet Peyton Manning fans no doubt.

Agreed.

You can't reason with people who love regular season stats over playoff performance though. Surprisingly there are quite a few such people on this forum. Closet Peyton Manning fans no doubt.

It's pretty freaking simple.

If the Patriots lowball someone, the "it's a business" argument is valid and works just fine.

When the Patriots offer competitive contracts and they run off to another team just to say "Screw you" to Bill Belichick, that argument becomes nonsensical, dishonest and stupid.

Welker gave New England the finger, so the lectures about how `good Patriot fans love and support him` are just nauseating and stupid.

Eh..if the Patriots organization gave a second chance to a dumb drunk murder like Dante Stallworth, then the organization can give a second chance to a punk like Welker, who had great seasons with the Patriots.

Pats should not sign Welker because Wes should retire for his health. It's criminal to sign him.
If Wes was the player he was a couple seasons ago and we needed a player of his abilities (I say we don't) I would be for signing him despite his traitorous jump to Denvah. Team laundry first.

It's pretty freaking simple.

If the Patriots lowball someone, the "it's a business" argument is valid and works just fine.

When the Patriots offer competitive contracts and they run off to another team just to say "Screw you" to Bill Belichick, that argument becomes nonsensical, dishonest and stupid.

Welker gave New England the finger, so the lectures about how `good Patriot fans love and support him` are just nauseating and stupid.

Stop this madness. Welker was criminally underpaid for what he did in his first contract. He was one of the most productive WR's in the NFL (arguably historic, if you factor in the receptions) and was paid a measely 18.1 million over 5 YEARS. He never made a stink about it, kept his mouth shut, and played out his contract. The Pats STILL couldn't get a deal done with Wes so he reluctantly signed the franchise tag which was worth about 10 mil. The next season the Pats STILL were being stingy and he finally said **** you and left for the Broncos (and got a paid a little bit more). Do you really blame him?

Here's an interesting link that details his contract situation:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-welkers-contract-negotiations-with-patriots

I personally don't even care that he left. I actually celebrated the fact that his drops and anti-clutch play would be moving to Denver to play with another anti-clutch player in Peyton Manning.

Good riddance, as far as I was concerned.

Why shouldn't it? The Patriots offered him a competitive contract, per the Krafts. Welker left for spite. You want to defend him and attack posters who don't like him.
Where did I defend Welker?
I simply said that your comment that he should be hated because Manning broke a stupid record with him on the team is stupid.

Funny, you were defending Jerry Rice for calling the Patriots cheaters too, and defending Mark Brunnel's idiocy with the two footballs, and ESPN's hatchet job against the Patriots during deflate gate.
You either don't read things yuo regurgitate or have a the worst reading comprehension I have ever seen.

I did not defend Rice at all. I said:
1) Calling him a weasel over off the cuff comments was an interesting characterization
2) Rice was relying on people he had no reason to doubt in making his comments, and the issue was not Jerry Rice, but the fact that the league allowed inaccurate comments to get leaked and did not address them, which caused comments such as Rice.

I did not come close to defending Brunnel. I called his comments comical. And I pointed out that former players would probably trust his comments since he was an NFL QB for something like 15 years. Again, with the point being that the NFL leaked information that it refused to refute, that caused the circus.

The point of those comments, which you of course missed the context of, was that Patriot fans would be apt to look beyond the headline and quote, and see what really happened, while ex-players will just trust that the other ex-player, who supposedly is reporting it from a place of knowledge, to be honest.
Before this incident you would have had no clue about Mark Brunell, so your opinion of him became based on whether he was pro or anti Patriot, no more, no less, while former players would consider him an expert because he played QB in the NFL.

Why don't you go give Felger a ****ing back rub or something?
So,in other words, you want to cry rather than have a discussion?
OK, that's fine, I'm sure you are still stinging over a regular season record that no one cares about being broken.

I personally don't even care that he left. I actually celebrated the fact that his drops and anti-clutch play would be moving to Denver to play with another anti-clutch player in Peyton Manning.

Good riddance, as far as I was concerned.

Insanity. You're defining a players entire career on ONE SNAP of football. Welker was incredibly clutch with the Patriots, he was an automatic 1st down for years on 3rd and 10.

Insanity. You're defining a players entire career on ONE SNAP of football. Welker was incredibly clutch with the Patriots, he was an automatic 1st down for years on 3rd and 10.

No, I'm not. If you think that SB46 drop was the only play I'm referring to, then you're blocking out numerous other postseason plays from your memory.

Stop this madness. Welker was criminally underpaid for what he did in his first contract. He was one of the most productive WR's in the NFL (arguably historic, if you factor in the receptions) and was paid a measely 18.1 million over 5 YEARS. He never made a stink about it, kept his mouth shut, and played out his contract. The Pats STILL couldn't get a deal done with Wes so he reluctantly signed the franchise tag which was worth about 10 mil. The next season the Pats STILL were being stingy and he finally said **** you and left for the Broncos (and got a paid a little bit more). Do you really blame him?

Here's an interesting link that details his contract situation:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-welkers-contract-negotiations-with-patriots

Are you implying the Patriots would have been better off if they took an approach that if you play better than your contract, we will give you more than you are worth later to make it up?
Or that a different way of handling the Welker situation would have worked better?
Are you saying if the Patriots weren't 'stingy' and gave Welker a huge contract 2 years ago, you think they would be better off today? Really?

Bringing Welker back - particularly on a symbolic end-of-career deal - would send a bad message to the players who stuck it out, trusted in Belichick's methods and actually won a championship. A lot goes into team chemistry, mental toughness and notions of respect. Making sure you reward hard work and commitment above all else is a key piece of that.

We must be careful not to romanticize it, and must accept that "it's a business" goes both ways. I got a taste of disrespect and disloyalty during contract negotiations in my own non-sports-related job, so I kinda get it. In the end, I don't fault Welker for making a tough, cold judgement before the Front Office did... Rewarding on the field with play and recognition is, alas, separate than rewarding with contracts and money.

That said, I'm not sure why I have zero sentimentality to bring him back to retire a Patriot with a warm-hearted one-day deal. He was a great player for us, and helped mold an identity.

Are you implying the Patriots would have been better off if they took an approach that if you play better than your contract, we will give you more than you are worth later to make it up?
Or that a different way of handling the Welker situation would have worked better?
Are you saying if the Patriots weren't 'stingy' and gave Welker a huge contract 2 years ago, you think they would be better off today? Really?

No, I think letting Wes walk was the right move. Most players would have complained and held out demanding to be paid more. Wes probably should have done that after a few seasons of elite production...but he didn't. He kept his mouth shut and played out his contract. He figured NE would pay him somewhere close to what he put on the field. They didn't.

Agreed.

I love playoff performance. Its sort of like making a claim here and then when it comes down to be being called on it stepping up and accepting consequence if they were wrong .

Some posters take it to the end and take those bets because they are great when it matters and believe in themselves.

Others, tuck their tail and run away and hide behind ********..they cant handle the pressure stuff.

No, I think letting Wes walk was the right move. Most players would have complained and held out demanding to be paid more. Wes probably should have done that after a few seasons of elite production...but he didn't. He kept his mouth shut and played out his contract. He figured NE would pay him somewhere close to what he put on the field. They didn't.

They agreed to a contract and Welker honored it. Thats not extraordinary.
To imply that the Patriots should, or would over pay him in the next contract as a makeup for him playing better than the contract he signed is naive.
They offered him what he was worth for the coming years, which is exactly what they are supposed to do.

MOST players would not have complained and held out. That plus stating what Welker was thinking are just things you made up.

For some reason you want to try to make it out that the team treated Welker badly, and thats just not the case.

I love playoff performance. Its sort of like making a claim here and then when it comes down to be being called on it stepping up and accepting consequence if they were wrong .

Some posters take it to the end and take those bets because they are great when it matters and believe in themselves.

Others, tuck their tail and run away and hide behind ********..they cant handle the pressure stuff.

This guy is equatung playoff performance to posting on the internet.

internet-serious-business.jpg

This guy is equatung playoff performance to posting on the internet.

internet-serious-business.jpg

Mope, just pointing out that you talk a big talk and when called on it run away.

That's you. Own up to it and move on.

No, I'm not. If you think that SB46 drop was the only play I'm referring to, then you're blocking out numerous other postseason plays from your memory.

Disagree a bit.
Agree with Welker defenders that he made numerous key 3rd downs and TDs. A very good player.
I would not say he made numerous post season gaffs. I can only think of 2 biggies.
My bottom line is that unlike other Pats HOF guys he simply failed by omission to make the big play(s) to win a Championship. And yes there were 2 playoff losses where his drops figured prominently.

3 Super Bowls with 0 TDs and declining production in every one. His best chance came in 07 but Samuel cost him the ring. In 11 and 13 though he simply wasn't good enough in either game when it mattered.

Agreed.

He would have been SB 42 MVP had a flag for holding been thrown on that last Giants drive. He had a couple of huge drops but aside from that he was pretty good in the playoffs. Not to mention he missed the playoffs in 08 & 09 and was coming back from ACL surgery in 2010 and wasn't quite himself. You can hate the guy for leaving but give him credit for what he did here. He deserves to be a Pats hall of famer no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST