PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

IF Wes Welker retires from NFL, will he sign 1-day deal with Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two things: 1) Welker was paid $9.4 million to play in 2012 which is hardly "being bled" by the Patriots. I would drop to my knees and thank God if someone paid me $9.4 to catch passes from Tom Brady for one year, and 2) Welker turned down a 2012 offer for $16 million over two years prior to having the franchise tag placed on him.

It takes two to tango. Welker and his agent made decisions in 2012 that led ultimately to his becoming a UFA.

I had forgotten about the $16 million, as that number was cited again before his exit. That was offered in 2011, and was only for two years.

My 'bleed' reference was to his ability, which erodes over time, and at his age specifically. Up to that point, he earned $18.1 million over a 5 year deal. $3.6 million a year for a receiver of his caliber was a huge bargain. The Pats won easily with that deal. I don't begrudge Welker or the Pats in how they handled the business end. Too many teams fail on sentimental decisions, and there are plenty of players who have believed that teams would "do the right thing" with future compensation who found themselves on the street looking at far less money than they would have earned playing hardball. It is a two-way street as you said. I take exception to these 'loyalty' laments in those negotiations. It is a business in the end, not high school football.

The money is relative to other NFL players, not to the typical worker. I don't weep for the people playing the game at the level they are paid. You earn a six figure salary for 30 years, which is doing fairly well on the average, and you earn 1/3 of that $9 million. That discussion is limited to NFL players.

I don't get the hate here. You guys act like jilted lovers. Wes was a major contributor to the Pats success for many years. He's fearless in the slot and, notwithstanding the Super Bowl drop, was reliable. He established a rapport with TB and that personal friendship has continued even after Wes left.

Wes left for professional reasons, just like many of us would leave our current employer if a better opportunity presented itself. And whether or not you agree that the opportunity was better, that's not your call. It was Welker's call and he did what he deemed best for himself and his family.

Let's appreciate and respect Wes Welker for his many contributions over the years.

Agree that Wes earned our love for years, and didn't earn our hate for moving on. Maybe a little, irrational hate, for moving on to a Seyton Manning-led team. But now Manning looks to be re-upping with a Kubiak-led team which is looking to "revamp" its O-line, which is just making me pity him as an "I'll call the plays at the line" type of QB. Hey, he'll re-adjust to the new line eventually right? :) Oh yeah I forgot, on his last legs and he can't play outdoors.

So WWW went to the enemy, feh. Who cares.

Now if the Pats offer him a 1 day deal and he insists on $16M for one day, that's where you know there's no love lost on his end.

WHY?

welker wont go down as one of the patriots greats, he wont end up in pats place

So much hate for a guy who put his heart and soul on the field every Sunday for the team.

Anyone remember when Brady threw an INT to Chase Blackburn in SB46 in the fourth? How about multiple drops from the entire team? The offensive line allowing Brady to get destroyed in crunch time? Even if WW was the goat, it's one play. So much hate here.
Yeah, if you just read the posts here you'd believe that Welker was somewhere between mediocre and bad. People are so quick to forget all the great games, and seasons players have. Just because of one play.

Yeah, if you just read the posts here you'd believe that Welker was somewhere between mediocre and bad. People are so quick to forget all the great games, and seasons players have. Just because of one play.
Two bad drops when it meant something are more important than 200 catches when it doesn't. WW was essentially a creation of Brady and Belichick just like Brown before him and Edelman now. The only difference is that they were clutch and he wasn't. I don't see any reason for him to retire a Patriot, he chose not to remain one. and the Pats benefited by his decision

Won't happen, we didn't even do this with Willie Mac, Ty Law, and Troy Brown. But, he will be a Pats Hall of Famer one day after the bad blood has settled.

If you are taking votes. As a fan I'd be OK with it. I forgive Welker. XILX has made many fans magnanimous.

That's your subjective opinion. He isn't the unquestioned #2. Aaron Rodgers has made a strong case for himself. Both of their playoff records are subpar, but Rodgers is more talented and he's played in the NFC his entire career against much stronger defenses than the ones Peyton has padded his stats against. I wouldn't even rank him in the top 5 all time at his position. Brady, Montana, Unitas, Otta Graham, Staubach, are all better. And you could make a case for others.

Welker also is not in the top 5 of this era. Possibly not even top 10. He's not even the best receiver in Patriots history.

Wes Welker is 20th all-time in receptions ahead of such HOFers as Michael Irvin, Raymond Berry, Kellen Winslow, etc. He holds four of the top 20 seasons in number of receptions in NFL history - all as a New England Patriot.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_career.htm

Yesh but the funny thing is Amendola was even more injury prone than Edelman. Plus he didnt even know the system like Edelman. I dont know about you, but for me that's a total vote of no confidence for Edelman.

I personally started having high hopes for him since that 2009 playoff game against the Patriots where he was literally the only guy who showed up to play that game. But the damn injuries got in the way. Until now. And now he's super awesome and I hate you guys for making me besmirch him the way I have I this thread! He doesn't deserve this.

Brady and Faulk seemed to be playing too, and/but your point us spot on

I'd not only be okay with Welker coming back for a day to retire a Patriot, I'd be okay, if Amendola leaves (I think he might wind up in Denver), for the Pats to sign Welker to a 1-year backup deal in case Edelman gets hurt.(Although for his own sake, I hope he retires.)

Kind of like Collie a couple of years ago.

The hate for this guy is way over the top - now we're actually showing a drop on a play for a first down. Rewind 2014 and you'll find a lot of those with JE.

I remember a certain 99-yard TD against the Dolphins.

Regarding Superbowls, if, if, if...if Welker makes the catch, if Harrison bats the ball out, if they called in the grasp, if they called holding on the guy who's got his arm wrapped around Seymore's neck, if Samuel catches the pick, if Neal doesn't get hurt, if Pollard doesn't roll Gronk's ankle in an earlier game, if they had just knocked Manninghan out of bounds...

I'm sure Seattle fans are doing their if, if, ifs all over the place, right, and had they scored and won, we'd be doing the same. If Duron Harmon had played the ball instead of jumping over Kearse, if they hadn't gone prevent in the last .31 of the 1st half. If, if, if...denying Welker's stunning run with New England in the time he was here is nonsense. The guy was a beast and gave up his body every bit as much as JE and DA do now.

I don't hate him anymore than I hate McGinnest, Vinatieri, Branch, Seymore, Milloy, Law - it's a business, and a short career.

Considering the most scoringest touchdowniest team ever only had points in the teens at the end probably means we can't pick one play as their downfall, IMO

I always wonder if Welker had stayed, maybe Minitron wouldn't have had the opportunity to shine?

I think he deserves a big thanks!

Yeah, stats are for losers. Nobody who played for NE before 2001 or between 2004 and 2014 should get to retire a Patriot. I mean, except the ones who were rostered last year.

Yeah, stats are for losers. Nobody who played for NE before 2001 or between 2004 and 2014 should get to retire a Patriot. I mean, except the ones who were rostered last year.

Sarcasm noted. What if the thread title were "What if Logan Mankins retires, will he sign a 1-day deal with the Patriots?" He never won a championship, played in the two losing Super Bowls, said un-friendly things about Patriots management, and was one of the gutsiest players ever to don a Patriots uniform.

I don't get the dislike for Wes Welker in this thread. I remember saying "Thank God for Wes Welker" in 2008 when Welker caught 111 passes for more than 1,100 yards from Matt Cassell that helped the Patriots go 11-5, and be in the hunt for a playoff spot in week 16. This fetish about championship seasons misses the point. There are lots of great Patriots players who never won one, who never even went to a Super Bowl.

People ought to reserve their intense criticism for guys like Ochocinco or Albert Haynesworth who never got it, but had the talent to be a major contributor.

No and I can't see the team doing it anyway.

They didn't even do it for Ty Law or Drew Bledsoe, why would they do it for Welker?

Yes and if Kraft has an extra Super Bowl ring it to West.

So, RICAR, you disagree on forgiving Welker. You have every right to be vindictive, hate filled, and a caricature of vitriol filled, bitter man. I forgive you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back