PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Texans win next Sunday at 1 pm, REST EVERYONE (except Brady)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not forget the Ravens.

Belichick has always put the "pedal to the metal" in games like this. That's his approach and we should probably dance with the one that brung us.

The only thing, IMO, that would change this approach in this case would be if Brady's injury to hand and/or shoulder that some seem to have perceived in yesterday's game is serious enough to benefit from two week's rest. I'm sure that Coach will give us a detailed description of TB's condition some time today, complete with comments by orthopedists and trainers. :rolleyes:

Three thoughts:

• The Patriots have not yet clinched the number 3 seed. A loss plus a win by Baltimore drops the Pats to the #4 seed (there's another thread debating the merits of that idea here: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...icle-stating-why-makes-more-sense-4-seed.html).
  • Do you really want to purposely risk heading into the playoffs with back-to-back sloppy games?
  • Do you really want to put play Brady behind the weakest possible offensive line you can put on the field?

It would be uncharacteristic for BB to rest the whole team; just those who really need it, and I'm sure BB's standard for that is much different than ours.

Even if the team is strategically better off with a loss he'll compete the entire game, and only have Cassel throw the two point try into the upper deck, right at the end.

If the Colts lose at home to Houston, a wild card win means they need to go to Houston after losing to them twice in the last 3 weeks of the season, including at home.
This is still football, and you still have a game to go out and play and what you do on the field vs an opponent does matter. The Colts are a young team, and they absolutely should play to win that game, if they are smart.
If they are shooting for a wild card win and blowout in the divisional round, they should sit everyone they can. If they are in it for what they should be, they need to send a message to their div round opponent (who won't be their div round opponent if they beat them)

Sadly this only makes me feel worse about our chances, since if the Colts anticipate another playoff match up with Houston, they may want to keep their cards close to the vest and not show anything to Houston next Sunday.

I really hope the Colts play hard and beat Houston next week, but it feels too much like our logic that they will, is contrived.

Three thoughts:

• The Patriots have not yet clinched the number 3 seed. A loss plus a win by Baltimore drops the Pats to the #4 seed (there's another thread debating the merits of that idea here: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...icle-stating-why-makes-more-sense-4-seed.html).
  • Do you really want to purposely risk heading into the playoffs with back-to-back sloppy games?
  • Do you really want to put play Brady behind the weakest possible offensive line you can put on the field?

Indeed. As long as there is something to play for, play everyone. And get Gronk reps too. If there was nothing to play for and we were locked into a seed, rest those that really need it. If that includes Brady, then rest Brady.

The reason the #4 seed is more favorable is because often times the #3 seed(likely the better team) can "choose" the weaker opponent by dropping down and becoming the #4. Also because the #3 seed usually faces the #1 seed, typically the best team in the conference. So there's a higher chance the #4 will advance to the Championship game.

But in this case I'm not sure Houston is the best team if they end up as the #1. Also if we keep our #3, and the #4 team does advance, well then we get Baltimore at home again in the AFCCG. Worth keeping than dealing with that referee mess we had to deal with when we went there earlier this year.

Last edited:
As a 4, you need both the 2 and 3 to lose back to back to the 6. It is a tremendous long shot to be home for the CG as a 4, unless you really think the Bengals will go to Bmore and Denver and win both. I don't.

impossible

The NFL does not use a fixed bracket playoff system. The number 1 seed will host the lowest surviving seed from the first round (seed 4, 5 or 6), while the number 2 seed will play the other team (seed 3, 4 or 5).

If #6 beats #3, then #6 plays #1. The #1 team plays the lowest remaining seed. #6 will not play #2.

Always has worked that way... geesh.

Last edited:
This team is incredibly beat up, almost every player on offense has been injured and missed time at some point during the season, be in in practice or in a game.

That being said, The Patriots need momentum and preferably a bye going into the playoffs.

The way this team is playing now, they look like a first round exit.

I think for this entire week, you put your team in the tub, use film to study the dolphins and watch the Houston game, if the Texans lose, you go for the bye with everyone, if they win, you might consider resting almost everyone including Brady, because this team desperately needs a bye one way or another.

Both of your starting corners likely won't play in this game, so the dolphins will score at least 20 regardless.

This is an incredibly tough spot right now and either decision is potentially a terrible one.

Right now if the pats put their all healthy players out on sunday, there is no gurantee they will beat the fins. We have as much a chance of losing this game -a division game - than the other scenarios happening. The worst it could happen is colts win, we play all out and dont win and have to play next week.

The Pagano factor is intriguing, but I just don't think Indy will treat this game like a playoff game unfortunately.

If the Colts pull off their cowardice tactics and rest everyone like they usually do I say we let Miami win and get the 4th seed and end Indy's season the next week--a little revenge from 2006.

The reason the #4 seed is more favorable is because often times the #3 seed(likely the better team) can "choose" the weaker opponent by dropping down and becoming the #4. Also because the #3 seed usually faces the #1 seed, typically the best team in the conference. So there's a higher chance the #4 will advance to the Championship game.

But in this case I'm not sure Houston is the best team if they end up as the #1. Also if we keep our #3, and the #4 team does advance, well then we get Baltimore at home again in the AFCCG. Worth keeping than dealing with that referee mess we had to deal with when we went there earlier this year.

Not sure what your point is, but the NFL playoff rules are that a team keeps its seeding throughout the playoffs. So, four plays five and three plays six in the WC round. The one seed plays the lower remaining seed and the two seed the higher in the Division round.

#3 can not play the #1 seed until the Conf Championship.

#3 wins ALWAYS plays #2
#6 wins ALWAYS plays #1

#4/#5 depend on the result of of 3v6

I'd say if Houston wins just only rest guys that are dinged up. Whoever is healthy needs to play to keep warmed up for the playoffs, but there's no reason for injured guys to play if it's risking their health.

We've been here before. I think that we should have rested Welker then and now. I also wouldn't start Brady behind an OL with starters out.

On defense, we should rest Talib, Dennard, Spikes, and Cole in any case.

So you think the 3 , or 2, or even 1 seed doesnt matter?

3 and 1 would never meet until the AFCCG

Last edited by a moderator:
impossible

The NFL does not use a fixed bracket playoff system. The number 1 seed will host the lowest surviving seed from the first round (seed 4, 5 or 6), while the number 2 seed will play the other team (seed 3, 4 or 5).

If #6 beats #3, then #6 plays #1. The #1 team plays the lowest remaining seed. #6 will not play #2.

Always has worked that way... geesh.

I misspoke, the point is the same the 6 would have to beat the 3 then the 1.

Indeed. As long as there is something to play for, play everyone. And get Gronk reps too. If there was nothing to play for and we were locked into a seed, rest those that really need it. If that includes Brady, then rest Brady.

But the question is, what is there to play for? What will we gain from winning, if Houston has already won and Denver plays the worst team in the NFL knowing they control the 2nd seed?

I agree with the Gronk reps.

I don't agree with resting Brady. QB's dont have much fatigue issues (EDIT: Apart from Eli-TE), and if Brady is as healthy as he can be right now, then the biggest reason to sit him would be to protect him. There are other ways to achieve that, like playing more shotgun, calling quicker routes, using screens, more protection packages and more rushing plays.

Last edited:
Not sure what your point is, but the NFL playoff rules are that a team keeps its seeding throughout the playoffs. So, four plays five and three plays six in the WC round. The one seed plays the lower remaining seed and the two seed the higher in the Division round.

Yes I know. Brain fart. Ignore the part about the 3rd and 1. The rest of my point stands.

But the question is, what is there to play for? What will we gain from winning, if Houston has already won and Denver plays the worst team in the NFL knowing they control the 2nd seed?

I agree with the Gronk reps.

I don't agree with resting Brady. QB's dont have much fatigue issues (EDIT: Apart from Eli-TE), and if Brady is as healthy as he can be right now, then the biggest reason to sit him would be to protect him. There are other ways to achieve that, like playing more shotgun, calling quicker routes, using screens, more protection packages and more rushing plays.

What we have to lose is the 3 seed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye