PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Mac Wasn't Available 15, What Do You Think the Pats Do?

I am going with Zaven Collins too. He seems to be a prototype big LB with athleticism that the Pats love.

If Mac isn't there at 15, one of the top 14 would have been. I am going to play that Denver takes Mac, dropping Surtain down to us.

I feel like I‘ve read something from Mike Reiss (who’d get his info from the Krafts) that the Pats were high on Mills, I expect your scenario is what would have played out.

And Cam would still be the starter; doubtful Mills would have had the playbook down the way Mac does.
Supposedly we liked him, I did. I thought he would be on our board and wrote about him potentially coming here. Super smart but the Texans will ruin him.

Regarding OP, I believe it would have been something like this.
Collins/Barmore and Phillips very close behind. I think Stokes and Newsome were on our board as well but who knows. Just a guess though.

I feel like I‘ve read something from Mike Reiss (who’d get his info from the Krafts) that the Pats were high on Mills, I expect your scenario is what would have played out.

And Cam would still be the starter; doubtful Mills would have had the playbook down the way Mac does.
Mills would probably have as much of the playbook that mac does. He does not have the whole playbook or they are damn sure not letting him use the entire playbook. He is very controlled in the passes he does. So yeah I think Mills could pull that off.

We got lucky. Let's enjoy that folks.. raise a toast to SF for helping us...

The biggest needs that line up with where the Pats also draft/evaluate well would be LB, FS, OLine, and DLine. Davis Mills wouldn't have been bad in a later round. It was a grand slam getting both Mac, Barmore, and then Stevenson. Awesome job by Eliot Wolf, Matt Groh, and Patricia.

You never give Bill and Josh any credit do you ?

I like Mills well enough but obviously he would've needed time. They'd have kept Cam of course. While I believe Cam would've done better with this supporting cast vs. last year, I highly doubt the team would be 9-4 at the moment. My very rough estimate is they'd finish 10-7 and maybe squeak into the last playoff slot. Then depending on how Mills developed, they could look into Jimmy in the offseason again.

Obviously, far prefer the way things actually turned out.

Trade out for a 1st-round in 2022 and a 2nd-round in 2023 and a 5th-round in 2022.

Real question is who would they pick in the 3rd-round, 15th selection (FORFEITED DUE TO BS) ?

The Cardinals GM claims Zaven Collins (who they took at 16) would have been the pick at 15 if Jones wasn't available. That said, the Cardinals have also planted really questionable stories about JJ Watt turning down more money to play for them and AJ Green picking them over the Patriots (after already adding Agholor, Bourne, Henry, and Smith).

Collins would have been a great fit

I believe AVT was on the List bc i Heard-/read it somewhere but can‘t remember where.. Collins/Paye/Newsome/Darrisaw in a Trade down would have been nice as well.

Yeah - I pretty much expected us to get Mills during the draft. I'm surprised he's currently throwing 65.5% down there in Texas given the situation, although it must be nice to be able to throw to Cooks.

Trade down. Take Barmore in the 1st and Trask in the 2nd.

If Mac isn't there at 15, one of the top 14 would have been. I am going to play that Denver takes Mac, dropping Surtain down to us.

I agree with this.

The one I would love to know is if Parsons and MJ10 both made it to 15 what would have happened. Conventional logic is you take the quarterback but Parsons is one of those rare guys who you can line up almost anywhere. I have to imagine Bill would have loved to have had him. People will say if he loved him to that degree he would have traded up but I'd say there enough picks with great value left on the board that Bill wasn't trading up for anyone. I think he would have been fine with Parson, Surtain, Jones or Collins so why waste draft capital?

EDIT: I'm a big MJ10 fan so I'm not suggeesting I wish it turned out differently. Just that at the time not knowing what we know now what would have happened.

You never give Bill and Josh any credit do you ?

His post was just about finding a way to sh.t on Zeigler and MacDaniels. DropKickNewton is of the delusion that he knows the internal discussion among the Patriots front office and coaching staff, and as such he can judge who among them is doing what. The truth of the matter is that he is just making sh.t up, and using his made up sh.t to trash Zeigler and MacDaniels. Other than the fact that Ernie Adam’s made the last pick for them, and that Eliot Wolf made the trade for Barmore happen, we have absolutely no idea of who did what, and we only know those two facts because Belichick told us about it after the draft ended. DropKickNewton tries to pretend he’s an expert on all matters Patriots but the truth is that he is no different in terms of knowledge of their inner workings than anyone else here, but unlike everyone else he pretends he knows what is said amongst them, whereas everyone else here acknowledges that they are just guessing.

Belichick, Patriots scouts, coaches, and their personnel guys did a great job with this draft, and hopefully they don’t get poached so they can all work together again in the coming draft to keep building this team back to perennial Lombardi favorite, which is far more important than anyone’s idiotic agenda.

Trade down. Take Barmore in the 1st and Trask in the 2nd.

I’m not sure about Trask, but I agree that they would have traded down in the first given the prices teams were paying to move up. I do think Barmore was a priority for them and they still would have found a way to pick him.

If Mac wasn't there at 15 they pick someone else. :)

Who's this Trask guy I keep seeing mentioned? He has the perfect nickname if he ends up a bust... Trash.

I’m not sure about Trask, but I agree that they would have traded down in the first given the prices teams were paying to move up. I do think Barmore was a priority for them and they still would have found a way to pick him.
Trask and Mac have very similar strengths and weaknesses, and their core strengths are reading the defense and processing information quickly. I’d be surprised if Trask wasn’t the back-up plan.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back