PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Mac Wasn't Available 15, What Do You Think the Pats Do?

I guessed they would move down and select Barmore in the mid-20's.
Do you think they go for a developmental QB in Round 2? Who?

The fact that they got both was HUGE.
There are many scenarios in which it could have happened and they result in different players... for example if it had been that the Cowboys traded out of their spot and Mac went there, then I see the Pats grabbing Parsons. What they'd have done at QB and what the result would be is something I'd rather not speculate on, other than they'd probably not be 9-4 right now, but still would have a winning record.

I'm no draftnik, but my logic on why they "stood Pat" at 15:

The expectation was 5 QB's go in the top 15.
So basically, if you don't move up or are not interested in a QB, you are looking at a top 10 pick (non-QB).

Who was it that did not appear onboard with the Mac Jones pick?
I'm guessing one of his binkies dropped to 15.

For our offense trask in the second round would have been my second choice for qb. But he would need a year on the bench for sure.

If Jones wasn't there more than likely it would have been because San Fran took him, meaning Trey Lance would still have been in play. Since Chicago had its sights set on Fields from the jump my guess is Lance would be the pick.

Failing that BB trades down and uses the pics to select multiple Division II safeties

I’d guess that Zaven Collins would be the pick. Allegedly, they had planned on taking Mills in round 2 or 3 if Mac wasn’t their first round choice.

I'm more curious who we wanted instead of Mac, because if he was the top player on the board, it probably wasn't worth the risk of waiting for him to fall to 15.

I'm more curious who we wanted instead of Mac, because if he was the top player on the board, it probably wasn't worth the risk of waiting for him to fall to 15.
That was my thought. If they really wanted Mac, they would have jumped a couple spots when he started slipping.
I want to think BB is the master tactician, but in this case, I think they were just plain lucky.

I still can't shake the thought that the 49'ers 'effed up massively.

The Barmore pick made much more sense to me.
"There's our boy, let's go up and git 'im."

They were lacking a D-lineman that commanded a double team.
Hell of a draft. Everything past those 2 is gravy.

Would have been a trade down to whatever number Bill thought would be safe for Barmore and then pick up Mills in the 3rd or wherever he went.
I feel like I‘ve read something from Mike Reiss (who’d get his info from the Krafts) that the Pats were high on Mills, I expect your scenario is what would have played out.

And Cam would still be the starter; doubtful Mills would have had the playbook down the way Mac does.

I'm no draftnik, but my logic on why they "stood Pat" at 15:

The expectation was 5 QB's go in the top 15.
So basically, if you don't move up or are not interested in a QB, you are looking at a top 10 pick (non-QB).

Who was it that did not appear onboard with the Mac Jones pick?
I'm guessing one of his binkies dropped to 15.
Belichick noted after the draft that they did look into trading up, but the cost was Too high compared to previous years.

I guessed they would move down and select Barmore in the mid-20's.
Do you think they go for a developmental QB in Round 2? Who?

The fact that they got both was HUGE.

They move up to take Micah Parsons and Davis Mills in a later round.

Fade into obscurity, quite frankly.

Trade down. Maybe make the trade for Jimmy. IDK

I think this is the most likely outcome. The only teams that were interested in Mac were SF and NO. Thankfully the Jete didn't trade the 14th pick to the Saints. Even if the Jete don't do anything, they screw themselves (like allowing their biggest rival to get their QB for the next 15 years).

The Cardinals GM claims Zaven Collins (who they took at 16) would have been the pick at 15 if Jones wasn't available. That said, the Cardinals have also planted really questionable stories about JJ Watt turning down more money to play for them and AJ Green picking them over the Patriots (after already adding Agholor, Bourne, Henry, and Smith).

The biggest needs that line up with where the Pats also draft/evaluate well would be LB, FS, OLine, and DLine. Davis Mills wouldn't have been bad in a later round. It was a grand slam getting both Mac, Barmore, and then Stevenson. Awesome job by Eliot Wolf, Matt Groh, and Patricia.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back