PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Mac Wasn't Available 15, What Do You Think the Pats Do?

The Cardinals GM claims Zaven Collins (who they took at 16) would have been the pick at 15 if Jones wasn't available. That said, the Cardinals have also planted really questionable stories about JJ Watt turning down more money to play for them and AJ Green picking them over the Patriots (after already adding Agholor, Bourne, Henry, and Smith).
Not sure its a questionnable story. Of course AJ Green would rather play with Kyle Murray in AZ than with a rookie or Cam Newton. He has already made a ton of money

Impossible to tell with bb. He might have like multiple guys at that spot which would explain not doing whatever it took to trade up to ensure Mac. If not itd be a trade down.

This still tickles me to this day and will for a long time. Teams like detroit, Carolina, and Denver who have absolute crap at qb failed to take one. If any one of those teams were a year further along in their qb assessments theyd have easily taken a qb. But they happened to be very early or not even had a chance yet to assess the current qb . Then barmore somehow lasting to rd 2. What a break.

Trask and Mac have very similar strengths and weaknesses, and their core strengths are reading the defense and processing information quickly. I’d be surprised if Trask wasn’t the back-up plan.

I used to follow the draft closely, but in all honesty I’m no longer at the level the draftniks are at at now. Where I always went on the written summaries that various sites provided the new draftniks spend an unreal amount of by time watching film and breaking down hundreds of prospects. I don have the time or patience for that and as such don’t have nearly the base of knowledge the devoted draftniks have. I had a little bit of knowledge on Trask, but not nearly as much as you and the better informed draft posters here have, so I’ll take your word on him.

Last edited:
I used to follow the draft closely, but in all honesty I’m no longer at the level the draftniks are at at now. Where I always went on the written summaries that various sites provided the new draftniks spend an unreal amount of by time watching film and breaking down hundreds of prospects. I don have the time or patience for that and as suck don’t have nearly the base of knowledge the devoted draftniks have. I had a little bit of knowledge on Trask, but not nearly as much as you and the better informed draft posters here have, so I’ll take your word on him.
Well, I’m also a UF alum, too. So my analysis might be tainted. Hope you’re doing well, Ivan.

I think they trade down.

Impossible to tell with bb. He might have like multiple guys at that spot which would explain not doing whatever it took to trade up to ensure Mac. If not itd be a trade down.

This still tickles me to this day and will for a long time. Teams like detroit, Carolina, and Denver who have absolute crap at qb failed to take one. If any one of those teams were a year further along in their qb assessments theyd have easily taken a qb. But they happened to be very early or not even had a chance yet to assess the current qb . Then barmore somehow lasting to rd 2. What a break.

Were there any safeties from Rutgers available?

Probably trade the pick and get 2-3 players and one of Trask, Mond and/or Mills.

Were there any safeties from Rutgers available?
Yes, the Jets signed him as an undrafted free agent and converted him to linebacker. He got hurt before ever playing in a preseason game.

Probably trade the pick and get 2-3 players and one of Trask, Mond and/or Mills.

It might have been Mills. Isn't he doing very well at the Texans? I remember that Mills is smart and athletic but very young.

Happy that we’ll never know. Happy that I’m happy.

i imagine we’d have kept cam and gone for another non qb tho

Mike Lombardi said on his podcast that Davis Mills was their guy later if Mac wasn’t there at 15. His son works for the team and he’s pretty well plugged in there regardless so that’s who it would have been. Not ready to play as Mac maybe, but a really good prospect as well, what he’s doing on that dumpster fire is impressive and making trading Deshaun Watson more palatable after every start.

I suspect they would have taken Barmore with the first, possibly Parsons. They had a first round grade on Barmore which is why they traded back up in the second to grab him in the first place. Great draft by BB and company.

I think once ATL, SF, Den all passed they knew they were in good shape. Otherwise they would have traded up like Chicago did. They didn’t panic. I’m glad I’m a Patriots fan.

It might have been Mills. Isn't he doing very well at the Texans? I remember that Mills is smart and athletic but very young.
I think Mills is playing well relative to his experience level.

I think Mills is playing well relative to his experience level.

Agreed. David Mills the QB (in case posters can not remember the conversation). He looks the part to me as well. Time will tell.

Nobody traded up during the rest of the first round after the Jete went from 23 to 14, so it’s doubtful that Bill could’ve found someone to take #15 off his hands for a fair price…

Several first-round-worthy DEs & LBs still available there; my guess is that Bill would’ve taken one of them at 15 and then either Trask or Mills at 46…

I think once ATL, SF, Den all passed they knew they were in good shape. Otherwise they would have traded up like Chicago did. They didn’t panic. I’m glad I’m a Patriots fan.
Belichick noted after the draft that they did look into trading up, but the prices were too high.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back