PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Jimmy Looks a Franchise QB, Would You Trade Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll find out exactly how legendary TB12 is as soon as he's gone.

The thread is up to 10 pages and counting. It was a great question.
No it wasn't. It's hackneyed, been asked and chewed on many times. Time to move on until the next time it's posed, sometime in February after #5.

Of course.

:D i was just trying to make a little double entendre based on tony2046's scenario:

brady = the best
pulling out before climax = yet to come

We'll find out exactly how legendary TB12 is as soon as he's gone.

The thread is up to 10 pages and counting. It was a great question.

What does page count have to do with the quality of the question?

giphy.gif

Ok. Jimmy goes 4-0 with the top QB rating on the league after four weeks. They still give Brady his job back and face the music in the off season. If Brady has another high level season they try to figure out whether they can pay jg enough to keep them both given bradys contract and let them compete for the job in training camp. If they can't keep them both then I wimp out and thank the Good Lord that I'm not the one who has to make the decision.

Tom Brady will never even think about playing for the Jets. That's far more insane than anything the Brit has had to say in this thread.

Okay, you must know him better than I do. A 4-game sensation gets anointed the starter forever, and he's on the bench? Yeah I guess you know better than I how the GOAT would react to such a scenario.

And for the record, I'm rooting for JG to make a scary good debut. That gets him the option of the inside track with Brady's clipboard in his hand, or gives him/the team the option of the high draft pick route.

Ok. Jimmy goes 4-0 with the top QB rating on the league after four weeks. They still give Brady his job back and face the music in the off season. If Brady has another high level season they try to figure out whether they can pay jg enough to keep them both given bradys contract and let them compete for the job in training camp. If they can't keep them both then I wimp out and thank the Good Lord that I'm not the one who has to make the decision.

I assume we get an FU season out of Brady... and if so, there's just no question. Or at least "high level" as you put it.

Okay, you must know him better than I do. A 4-game sensation gets anointed the starter forever, and he's on the bench? Yeah I guess you know better than I how the GOAT would react to such a scenario.

And for the record, I'm rooting for JG to make a scary good debut. That gets him the option of the inside track with Brady's clipboard in his hand, or gives him/the team the option of the high draft pick route.

I was only commenting on whether or not Brady would go to the Jets, which is a big NO.

This is not an issue for 2 more full seasons. Both Brady and Polo are signed to at least then at a reasonable CAP. Assuming both are doing well and healthy, only then is it a CAP issue and Polo is still able to be franchised for the 2018 season. At that time Brady will be 41 going on 42If Polo is franchised for 2018 Brady will be 43., the age he has set as a retirement. He may not be a full time starter by then and a renegotiation of his remaining contract may be possible, and even probable for the one season where he is 43.

Starting QBs are hard to find. When you have one you keep him. Period.

I was only commenting on whether or not Brady would go to the Jets, which is a big NO.

Do you have public statements to this effect? Better yet, do you have a contractual document to this effect agreed to by all parties, with objective criteria we can measure to determine whether Brady "may" be benched, and when/if the team may trade Brady? I'm not a contracts guy, but if you don't have that, go into the next few seasons with the knowledge that stuff can happen. Doesn't mean it will.

Look I agree with you, that from what I see of him publicly thus far, that he absolutely wants to play his whole career in NE. I also think that Joe Montana for most of his career wanted to play his whole career in SF. There was probably a solid few years where Brett Favrevah wanted to spend his entire career in Green Bay.

What if the "Kraft Hate Brigade" is right, and everybody thinks the team "threw him under the bus?" What if he internalizes the viewpoint that BB "threw him under the bus" at the very beginning of framegate? Hell you want me to spell out a doom and gloom scenario it's easy to do. He figures "Screw it, Goodell wants my ass dead as long as I'm in this uniform, they're going to cheat, it's that simple," goes over to the JEST, Goodell awards the JEST compensatory picks for getting him (somehow,) the JEST go nuts at the WR and OL position, ratings bonanza. Hell, dissolve the Competition Committee replacing it with Woody Johnson, the man so nice they named him after genitals twice. A bit of hyperbole there but you get the drift.

So I don't believe the tale I just told (above), a top secret tin-foil-helmet conspiracy to get him another ring and 6000 passing yards. I just don't believe anybody or anything that says "Never gonna happen" regarding an NFL* player.

He's shown us rafts of good faith.

However, his stated viewpoint is he'll keep playing "until he sucks," and Belichick's observed behavior pattern is "better a year early than a year late."

One day the two could conceivably collide. "I don't suck yet" will collide with "Is he starting to suck, and does this year constitute "a year early"?"

I hope that's a few years away. I truly hope it never happens. I hope if it does happen the team has the juice to veto in-division trades.

On the other hand, this happened (since all the HOF coverage is out there reminding us of Favrevruh). Now granted, today we'd characterize Favrevruh's upbringing as continual child abuse... which we don't think Brady ever had... by the time he left he was hell bent for leather to come back and screw his old team.

favre-vikings.jpg

I see no indications of this recurring in Brady's case. The more likely scenario is a Montana-to-KC type deal (out of conference if possible, definitely out of division.) And most likely, it's many years away, not something precipitated by 4 good games unless Brady collapses this year.

But think of what you've seen of Brady when the chips are REALLY down. YOU HAVEN'T. A month or two stretch here or there = Brady with the chips down. No question that he's the franchise QB since he ran out Drew. Zero to go by.

I'm just saying we want it to be different for us, we hope it is different for us, but we have no evidence that it will be different for us. It's not a lock. It is what it is, we'll only know when we know, as disheartening as that is.

Do I see it being this year b/c a JAG (with a 1 in 26 chance of actually having the initials "JAG") wins 4 games impressively? Derr again. No.

Do I see a controversy if, against expectations, Brady "just can't get right" this year, they back into the playoffs, and they have to decide who to go with? Given that UNLIKELY scenario, yes.

Unfortunately in 3, 4, 5 years... we will more likely in each passing year to face that or a similar scenario.

I just do not think that year will be this year.

Sorry for the novel.

Do you have public statements to this effect? Better yet, do you have a contractual document to this effect agreed to by all parties, with objective criteria we can measure to determine whether Brady "may" be benched, and when/if the team may trade Brady? I'm not a contracts guy, but if you don't have that, go into the next few seasons with the knowledge that stuff can happen. Doesn't mean it will.

Look I agree with you, that from what I see of him publicly thus far, that he absolutely wants to play his whole career in NE. I also think that Joe Montana for most of his career wanted to play his whole career in SF. There was probably a solid few years where Brett Favrevah wanted to spend his entire career in Green Bay.

What if the "Kraft Hate Brigade" is right, and everybody thinks the team "threw him under the bus?" What if he internalizes the viewpoint that BB "threw him under the bus" at the very beginning of framegate? Hell you want me to spell out a doom and gloom scenario it's easy to do. He figures "Screw it, Goodell wants my ass dead as long as I'm in this uniform, they're going to cheat, it's that simple," goes over to the JEST, Goodell awards the JEST compensatory picks for getting him (somehow,) the JEST go nuts at the WR and OL position, ratings bonanza. Hell, dissolve the Competition Committee replacing it with Woody Johnson, the man so nice they named him after genitals twice. A bit of hyperbole there but you get the drift.

So I don't believe the tale I just told (above), a top secret tin-foil-helmet conspiracy to get him another ring and 6000 passing yards. I just don't believe anybody or anything that says "Never gonna happen" regarding an NFL* player.

He's shown us rafts of good faith.

However, his stated viewpoint is he'll keep playing "until he sucks," and Belichick's observed behavior pattern is "better a year early than a year late."

One day the two could conceivably collide. "I don't suck yet" will collide with "Is he starting to suck, and does this year constitute "a year early"?"

I hope that's a few years away. I truly hope it never happens. I hope if it does happen the team has the juice to veto in-division trades.

On the other hand, this happened (since all the HOF coverage is out there reminding us of Favrevruh). Now granted, today we'd characterize Favrevruh's upbringing as continual child abuse... which we don't think Brady ever had... by the time he left he was hell bent for leather to come back and screw his old team.

favre-vikings.jpg

I see no indications of this recurring in Brady's case. The more likely scenario is a Montana-to-KC type deal (out of conference if possible, definitely out of division.) And most likely, it's many years away, not something precipitated by 4 good games unless Brady collapses this year.

But think of what you've seen of Brady when the chips are REALLY down. YOU HAVEN'T. A month or two stretch here or there = Brady with the chips down. No question that he's the franchise QB since he ran out Drew. Zero to go by.

I'm just saying we want it to be different for us, we hope it is different for us, but we have no evidence that it will be different for us. It's not a lock. It is what it is, we'll only know when we know, as disheartening as that it.

Do I see it being this year b/c a JAG (with a 1 in 26 chance of actually having the initials "JAG") wins 4 games impressively? Derr again. No.

Do I see a controversy if, against expectations, Brady "just can't get right" this year, they back into the playoffs, and they have to decide who to go with? Given that UNLIKELY scenario, yes.

Unfortunately in 3, 4, 5 years... we will more likely in each passing year to face that or a similar scenario.

I just do not think that year will be this year.

Sorry for the novel.

@KontradictioN

Need cliff notes

:)

Ok - here is what is going to be an unpopular opinion. At the end of the first 4 weeks of the season, nobody is going to think that Jimmy G. is better than Brady. We are going to thank our lucky stars that Brady is back and hope he can pull our season out of the proverbial toilet and get us to the playoffs.

This is my opinion only, obviously, but I think we are going to get our arses kicked all over the field on opening night on national tv in AZ. The scrimmage against Brady the other day is a harbinger of things to come. Novice vs. Experienced with something to prove, and it ain't going to be pretty. Jimmy G is going to come out of the AZ game shell-shocked and I hope he can recover enough to win 2 of the next 3, but it's not going to be easy, because we again have no running game to help him out. Lewis won't be ready (something I have been worried about since the first day of training camp when he was nowhere to be found). Blount stinks, IMO. His only talent is running over defenses in the 2nd half when they are tired. He can't help you in the first half when Jimmy G. needs someone to take the pressure off. Blount up the middle for 2, incompletion, sack. Ugh. Over and over.

Then 2 out of 3 games against teams with good Ds in our division which have been built to stop Brady. The only game we might have a shot of winning is Houston, if they don't have JJ Watt, but even then they have Bill O'Brien who knows our offense.

Our only saving grace might be our D if they can get a lot of turnovers and shorten the field for Ghost and Jimmy G.

My opinion is obviously colored by my anger at the NFL for intentionally trying to make my team lose. I hope I am dead wrong, but I feel like I'm dead right.

Flame away.

I love you ,Deb.:D

If Jimmy is the real deal, and keeping him would be best for the future of our franchise, I would keep him, no question. But at the expense of Brady? That's a tough sell

I commented earlier in the thread just as a what if senerio Not thinking about the cap and what not. Miguel did what he does which is include reality in the what if. Simple statement but it completely changed my opinion. 27 million in dead money if Brady is cut or traded. It is NOT happening no way no how. The patriots have hitched their cart to Brady for at least the next two years so the only thing that can happen if Jimmy lights it up is he is the one traded. Like it or not that dead money makes Brady untradable for anything less then 3-4 first round picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back