PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Brady is out O'Connell should start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention two three and outs in the fourth quarter at a time when the Pats could have put the game away, only to let the Chiefs linger. He did fine, at home, against the worst team in the league. He still needs to prove he can do that against better teams. That's all i'm saying.

This thread should be locked. Cassel comes in, manages the game and the Pats end up winning. That would be the biggest slap in the face to Cassel if they went with a rookie.

It's not a bold statement at all. The thread is ignorant. Whether the opinion of the O.P. turns out to be correct, which I doubt, won't change that. His assertion is ignorant, by definition.

You weren't listening. What I was saying is that there have been A LOT of dumb threads around here today. ManningOverratedHick's thread takes the cake for me.

Not to mention two three and outs in the fourth quarter at a time when the Pats could have put the game away, only to let the Chiefs linger. He did fine, at home, against the worst team in the league. He still needs to prove he can do that against better teams. That's all i'm saying.

I'm sorry. What were the play calls on those 3 and outs in the fourth quarter? What were the results of the KC drives?

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=280907017&period=4

1st play:pass to Gaffney. Gaffney dropped the pass.
2nd play: Run by Maroney.
3rd play: Passing play. Cassel sacked because Morris miss the blitz pick up on the stunt.
4th play: Punt for a touchback

KC got the ball at their 20 and went 3 and out.

1st play: Maroney to the left for 8 yards
2nd play: Maroney to the left for a yard
3rd play: Evans up the middle for a loss of a yard (the refs were generous and called it forward progress).
4th play: Punt for a touchback.

1st KC play: Interception by Hobbs.

So, Cassel had two passing plays. One of which the receiver dropped the ball and the other the RB missed the blitz pick-up. Yet, I am supposed to believe those are Cassel's fault?

And it was Cassel's fault that the Pats called 3 straight running plays on the next series?

If Cassel had thrown an interception, I'd be all for hanging him on it. If he'd fumble, again, same thing. But please explain what he did wrong in those two series.

Last edited:
Fumbrunner -
His job was to not LOSE the game. And he did that. Just like Brady's job when he first took over was to not lose games. That is the PRIMARY responsibility of the back-up QB. That is the credit I give him.

This is something I don't see being mentioned enough. When Brady took over for Bledsoe, he was asked to NOT lose the game. Manage it, get the ball out quickly to the recievers, and let them make a play. He wasnt the Brady we now know. That first year was great to watch, and the results were awesome, but he wasnt an elite QB like he is now.

Toms rating was 86.5. 2843 yrds. 18 td's, and 12 ints.

I think Cassell is capable enough to NOT lose games. God knows, everytime he throws an interception every will be screaming that he sucks, but that would be just stupid. It's not like Tom has never thrown an int. ;)

I gotta say im sick of the 'It was only KC' comments' ... thats still an NFL defense who went 4-3 to start last year until Johnson went down and Cassel comes in at the 1 yard line, throws a perfect 50 yard pass out of his end zone and drives the team 99 yards for a score

From what I saw when he was allowed to pass the ball he did pretty well. He missed Welker on one route in Q4 but his stats were good. His smarts scrambling were pretty good too

Our running game sucked and that us why we went 3 and out - plus some the flea flicker call (which to be fair KC cant have been expecting)

Id like to see McDaniels and BB trust the kid next week to throw the ball, get him and Moss on the same page and at least try a few deep balls

Ive got a funny feeling the kid could do real well

Crazy thread. Not only Did Matt keep us in the game, that pass from the goal line was a huge play for any QB. Talk about your back against the wall.

It's only one game, but this skeptic has to ask "what the hell did you want?"

First round QBs start in the NFL, if Oconnell was that good he would have been a first rounder... RIGHT?

Show me one thread where I personally ever called for them to cut Cassel? I understand how useless preseason is when it comes to a fans perspective and judging players.

How did Brady play in the 2001 preaseason?

You are f'ing delusional. Oconnell's ability to buy time in the pocket is 2nd to none? Are you his brother, father, mother?? What the hell are you on, seriously? Stop posting with your heart. He's a rookie project with quick feet. Do you honestly think Oconnell would have picked up the same read that Moss picked up when he CHANGED his called route on the play that got the patriots out of the endzone?

Tony Romo? Yeah he was a first rounder, Tom Brady? Yep...first round too. I could keep going but your next point is ******ed.

"Do you honestly think Oconnell would have picked up the same read that Moss picked up when he CHANGED his called route on the play that got the patriots out of the endzone?"

You state that MOSS made the change, NOT Cassel...wtf are you even talking about when you say O'Connell couldn't make the call? Cassel didn't pick up the read, he just saw a open Moss...Cassel couldn't read a Dr. Suess book. :rolleyes:

O'Connell in '08! Yes, I said it. Peyton played his rookie year, McNabb? Vick? Flacco? Ryan? Beck? Edwards? Rothelisberger? Want me to keep going?

Cassel = :banned:

I agree,O'conell is better than Cassell.

Maybe we ll put Cassell 2or 3 weeks,but if we lost it,and have no chance of postseason,put o conell

Tony Romo? Yeah he was a first rounder, Tom Brady? Yep...first round too. I could keep going but your next point is ******ed.

"Do you honestly think Oconnell would have picked up the same read that Moss picked up when he CHANGED his called route on the play that got the patriots out of the endzone?"

You state that MOSS made the change, NOT Cassel...wtf are you even talking about when you say O'Connell couldn't make the call? Cassel didn't pick up the read, he just saw a open Moss...Cassel couldn't read a Dr. Suess book. :rolleyes:

O'Connell in '08! Yes, I said it. Peyton played his rookie year, McNabb? Vick? Flacco? Ryan? Beck? Edwards? Rothelisberger? Want me to keep going?

Cassel = :banned:

Moron I meant first round QBs start AS ROOKIES... Brady was 4th string as a rookie geez

What exactly did Cassel do wrong? Did he throw an INT? Nope.

What I saw was poor play-calling by McDaniels and a defense that got soft towards the end of the game.

How is that Cassel's fault? Here's a newsflash for you. Its not.

There is a reason O'Connell didn't go into the game in the 4th quarter. It's because Cassel was playing very well. Maybe you should watch the game instead of gushing over fantasty crap.

I don't know that they "got soft", but I was annoyed with some of the calls. I truly couldn't understand why they were blitzing DB's with a 7 point lead, and very little time left on the clock. If the Chiefs had come back to tie the game, that defensive call would be getting picked over a lot more today, but thankfully the defense was able to come up with a stop.

I don't know that they "got soft", but I was annoyed with some of the calls. I truly couldn't understand why they were blitzing DB's with a 7 point lead, and very little time left on the clock. If the Chiefs had come back to tie the game, that defensive call would be getting picked over a lot more today, but thankfully the defense was able to come up with a stop.

Seb - By soft, I mean that they allowed 3 long drives by the Chiefs offense in the 2nd half. Luckily, only 2 of them resulted in scores. The 3rd was the goal-line stop.

Seb - By soft, I mean that they allowed 3 long drives by the Chiefs offense in the 2nd half. Luckily, only 2 of them resulted in scores. The 3rd was the goal-line stop.

I agree with you there, but I think that defensive call directly lead to the Chiefs being able to rack up a decent amount of yards on the last drive. They got burned on the blitz a few other times yesterday, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News