PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Brady is out O'Connell should start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oconnell may have been the best player available to them. Maybe they were down on Gutz. Maybe they don't see Cassel staying with them for the next 4 years and wanted to start grooming the next backup. Who knows why they drafted him, only them. Of course it's ironic that you use what BB and coaches did in the draft to back your thoughts that Cassel is bad but disregard the fact that those same coaches leave Cassel as the backup and not OCONNELL. HYPOCRISY.

YOU HAVE ONLY SEE HIM PLAY AGAINST SCRUBBY 4TH STRINGERS... ARE YOU FING KIDDING ME!?? You are claiming to be a better evaluator of talent than BB and the patriots coaching staff? Are you dumb?

He has never been in a MEANINGFUL game with the patriots first stringers. He played well today. The patriots OFFENSE that he is leading scored 2 TD's. It was week one against an extremely young team with virtually no previous years tape on.

or maybe its because Cassel is a scrub 7th round-undrafted free agent pickup who is now the starting QB of the Patriots. Im glad you have soooo much faith in him because I dont, ive seen what he has done here for multiple years and it compares closely to something that resembles fecal matter. OConnell has shown more in one preseason than Cassel has in his career, i dont care if it was against 4th stringers give him Moss and Welker and the starting oline and he will do BETTER!

If Cassel is so good then why the heck did they draft OConnell in the friggen 3RD ROUND??? Answer me that smartass. Especially when we have TOM BRADY -and- the supposedly good "Cassel".

OConnell is a better player you can tell just by watching them play. Cassel is only in there because HE HAS MORE EXPERIENCE knowing the pats system. That doesnt mean HE WILL PLAY WELL just because he knows more. Cassel has been here for multiple years and hasnt played well yet, oh wait i forgot the 1 TD performance against the mighty Cheifs lool.

You're a neanderthal Cassel aint taking us nowhere and O'Connel would take us farther.

Belichick drafted O'Connel in the 3rd round because he thought this would be Cassel's last year with the team (contract) He never expected Brady to get hurt and was going to let Cassel go and try to get some playing time elsewhere next year. Who knows WTF happens now.

or maybe its because Cassel is a scrub 7th round-undrafted free agent pickup who is now the starting QB of the Patriots. Im glad you have soooo much faith in him because I dont, ive seen what he has done here for multiple years and it compares closely to something that resembles fecal matter. OConnell has shown more in one preseason than Cassel has in his career, i dont care if it was against 4th stringers give him Moss and Welker and the starting oline and he will do BETTER!

You are a true fanatic... too bad you are fanatic about certain players and not the team. You have never seen Cassel in a game with first stringers nor in a game that actually meant something. Today was the first time you ever saw that, and he played well. But keep dreaming in lala land that playing well against 4th stringers that our out of the NFL after preseason means you will play well in a meaningful game with first stringers. LMFAO Thank God you are not the coach. You'd probably trade Brady and Moss and start OConnell and Jackson (you wouldn't have cut him).

IF TB is out, we're done anyway. Start the better QB O'Connell.

What better way to develop your long term franchise QB than to give him a season worth of quality reps.

O'Connell would win 2 more games than Cassell.

Last edited by a moderator:
"imo" they would have scored more.

Ooookayyyy. I hate this because everybody's already covered everything we can call you, and they've also covered the rational approach. I feel like I have no niche here, but you're obviously still in need of correction.

If somebody has O'Connell's e-mail address and can get him to send this guy an e-mail saying, "no, dude, I just got out of college, just freakin shut up," that might do the trick.

Hopefully Cassel (if necessary) will build on a little full-speed real-game experience, and be competent against any really good teams he (God forbids) has to face.

Otherwise, this notion that O'Connell is a "safe bet" to do something that happens rarely among Heisman-winning #1 #1s, is in the realm of whatever comes after the absolute ignorant void of football knowledge usually inhabited (more tolerably) by really hot high school girlfriends.

PFnV

All you Cassell people out there ... HE HAS NO ARM. So effectively you have not only lost Brady but you are losing what Moss brings to the table as a deep threat. This team led by Cassell would win perhaps 10 games at best and that's being generous. He has no arm and he can't throw off his back foot ... Cassell is worse than noodle.

All you Cassell people out there ... HE HAS NO ARM. So effectively you have not only lost Brady but you are losing what Moss brings to the table as a deep threat. This team led by Cassell would win perhaps 10 games at best and that's being generous. He has no arm and he can't throw off his back foot ... Cassell is worse than noodle.

exaggerate much?

By "Cassel people", do you mean "Pats fans"?

More importantly, not one word of your post is true. Cassel's arm at the very least is above average.

And without Brady today, Moss 3 catches, 66 yards, 1 TD.

Oddly Randy had a 51 yard reception and a TD thrown where only he could get it with Cassel running the offense. But I'm sure since you've long held this opinion what we saw and Bill thinks is just bs...

Cassel knows the playbook and system after 4 years and he's what Bill wants in a QB let alone a backup - a good game manager. He doesn't make stupid rash mistakes and he can make all the throws. And now unlike O'Connell whose appeared in 2 PS games against burger flippers where pulling plays out of your ass is par for the course and spent his college career in a shotgun offense, Matt's proven he can win an NFL game even when he didn't take a first team snap all week... We once won a Superbowl with a kid critics panned for throwing sideways and having no arm strength... Arm strength like 40 time is over rated. Rohan Davey had arm strength. Accruacy and instincts trump them more often than not.

There isn't a veteran on the market worth signing as anything more than an emergency QB to keep the rookie off the field. They can't run this system any more than they could the last couple of systems they washed out of... The system is what you fall back on when all else fails. Otherwise why bother.

Recognize any of the names here? :confused:

I'm not saying Cassel is the second coming, but he sure didn't give us any reason to not keep him in.

Oddly Randy had a 51 yard reception and a TD thrown where only he could get it with Cassel running the offense. But I'm sure since you've long held this opinion what we saw and Bill thinks is just bs...

Cassel knows the playbook and system after 4 years and he's what Bill wants in a QB let alone a backup - a good game manager. He doesn't make stupid rash mistakes and he can make all the throws. And now unlike O'Connell whose appeared in 2 PS games against burger flippers where pulling plays out of your ass is par for the course and spent his college career in a shotgun offense, Matt's proven he can win an NFL game even when he didn't take a first team snap all week... We once won a Superbowl with a kid critics panned for throwing sideways and having no arm strength... Arm strength like 40 time is over rated. Rohan Davey had arm strength. Accruacy and instincts trump them more often than not.

There isn't a veteran on the market worth signing as anything more than an emergency QB to keep the rookie off the field. They can't run this system any more than they could the last couple of systems they washed out of... The system is what you fall back on when all else fails. Otherwise why bother.

I'm not going to argue it ... when teams scheme against Matt Cassell my point will be proven. Today meant nothing as there is little to no game film for other teams to use. over the next few weeks our receivers will have less room to operate as teams pack it in on us ... same as it was before we got Randy Moss and Donte Stallworth. Call me hater ... whatever ... Cassell has no freaking arm ... end of story IMO. he can throw some play action and short 10-15 yard junk but he can't throw the long passes to stretch the defense and he can't throw the sideline routes ... what good is a QB that can't throw. He's here because he is very intelligent ... so wasn't Matt Cavanaugh ... so freaking what ... that's about I have to say. :mad:

I know it's pointless with you but there is no such thing as a 7th round undrafted FA...

Brady was drafted in the 6th round. O'Connell was drafted at the tail end of the 3rd round. He played his college career in a shotgun offense, as Bill noted just last week...He is just learning to play under center. He was drafted to replace Cassel in 2009 when he is a FA in case Gutierrez didn't develop sufficiently, and because they're projecting a weak QB class in the 2009 draft. He won't start on a BB team in the regular season, bank it. Bill will drag Vinny off the couch first... They will probably re-sign Gutierrez this evening as insurance while the assess the situation. Sadly (for you not us) Chad Jackson won't be resigned as well...

I know it's pointless with you but there is no such thing as a 7th round undrafted FA...

Brady was drafted in the 6th round. O'Connell was drafted at the tail end of the 3rd round. He played his college career in a shotgun offense, as Bill noted just last week...He is just learning to play under center. He was drafted to replace Cassel in 2009 when he is a FA in case Gutierrez didn't develop sufficiently, and because they're projecting a weak QB class in the 2009 draft. He won't start on a BB team in the regular season, bank it. Bill will drag Vinny off the couch first... They will probably re-sign Gutierrez this evening as insurance while the assess the situation. Sadly (for you not us) Chad Jackson won't be resigned as well...

Cassel should have been an undrafted free agent no team was going to draft him. Im glad you think we are gunna find another Tom Brady in the 6th-7th round how many times has that happened in NFL history before Brady, oh yea never. OConnell was drafted cause Cassel is a scrub period. We had Tom Brady the best QB in the league and Cassel behind him, if they were confident in Cassel there would be no reason to draft a QB in the 3rd round no less.

I'm not going to argue it ... when teams scheme against Matt Cassell my point will be proven. Today meant nothing as there is little to no game film for other teams to use. over the next few weeks our receivers will have less room to operate as teams pack it in on us ... same as it was before we got Randy Moss and Donte Stallworth. Call me hater ... whatever ... Cassell has no freaking arm ... end of story IMO. he can throw some play action and short 10-15 yard junk but he can't throw the long passes to stretch the defense and he can't throw the sideline routes ... what good is a QB that can't throw. He's here because he is very intelligent ... so wasn't Matt Cavanaugh ... so freaking what ... that's about I have to say. :mad:

I have 51 yards says he does... Besides, Bill will be much more conservative with Brady out regardless of Moss. They will pick their spots. But if Moss gets open and Cassel is upright he can hit him just like he did today. Game film will be of little value to opponents because Matt isn't going run the Cassel playbook - that's the point, he's gonna run the full playbook as close to Brady does as he can. O'Connell they'd have figured out in 2 weeks because they'd have to tailor a severely limited playbook to his strengths, which would probably get him killed in short order at this level.

It's up to the team to rally around Cassel just like the did the other weak armed kid who replaced a big armed icon and franchise player. Real fans will rally around him too. Those more concerned with making their case for knowing it all will do what they always do, I guess...kvetch and biatch and bash and behave like agenda driven resident trolls.

Cassel should have been an undrafted free agent no team was going to draft him. Im glad you think we are gunna find another Tom Brady in the 6th-7th round how many times has that happened in NFL history before Brady, oh yea never. OConnell was drafted cause Cassel is a scrub period. We had Tom Brady the best QB in the league and Cassel behind him, if they were confident in Cassel there would be no reason to draft a QB in the 3rd round no less.

Then why didn't they cut Cassel along with Gutierrez and just carry 2 QB's...

Honestly Briz you're just embarassing yourself here. But what else is new...

You have 0 proof why Oconnell was drafted and ignore more sensible opinions on him. If Cassel was a scrub, then that would mean BB and the patriots coaches are morons because they put him as the backup again (dropping Gutz whose job was actually on the line when KO was drafted). So there is only two possiblities now:

A) Cassel is HORRIBLE and BB is a moron

or

B) Cassel is far from horrible and you are a moron

You have 0 proof why Oconnell was drafted and ignore more sensible opinions on him. If Cassel was a scrub, then that would mean BB and the patriots coaches are morons because they put him as the backup again (dropping Gutz whose job was actually on the line when KO was drafted). So there is only two possiblities now:

or

or

C) Cassel is a scrub and you are a neanderthal.

Cassel and Gutz are both undrafted free agent type players they drafted OConnell because you dont want these guys backup up your QB.

or

Actually you missed the more probable answer ... Cassell is a very bright guy who gets the playbook, knows he is on the team to be a fill in player and is content with that. Probably would still be a great backup if someone else is brought in. he clearly does not have an NFL type arm ... but close enough to be a temp QB. How many athletes in this country would take a backup job to be in the NFL ... Cassell is living large even as a backup.

Actually you missed the more probable answer ... Cassell is a very bright guy who gets the playbook, knows he is on the team to be a fill in player and is content with that. Probably would still be a great backup if someone else is brought in. he clearly does not have an NFL type arm ... but close enough to be a temp QB. How many athletes in this country would take a backup job to be in the NFL ... Cassell is living large even as a backup.

Brady's 01 arm was worse than Cassel's 08 arm.... but yea his arm looked terrible on that pass to Moss.

Where are you getting all the "arm" comments from? What throw is it you think NFL quarterbacks can make that Cassel can't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back