PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Brady is out O'Connell should start

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is quite a poor thread.

Does anyone here REALLY believe we would even have a winning record with Cassel?
I don't. We bearly beat the Chiefs today guys. I love the Pats as much as anyone but lets get real.

he almost threw an INT right before the Moss TD, it was a bad throw and hit the defender right in the chest but he dropped it. I thought to myself jeez we got away with one there.

Cassel played well but OConnell can play better imo. And remember we were playing KC and Cassel didnt exactly light it up. Id hate to see what he does against the Chargers, OConnell would give us a fighting chance against the good teams.

Almost only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and nuclear bombs, Chicken Little. Cassel threw the ball down and away making it nearly impossible for the defender to catch. Your over-exaggeratistic claim that it hit the guy in the chest if farcical. You really need to stfu and just watch Cassel because O'Connell isn't going to do sh!t but warm the bench.

You clearly didn't watch the game. If you had, you'd have seen Cassel complete 72% of his passes and had a 8.4YPA. You would have also seen the play-calling by McDaniels get very predictable. Honestly, McDaniels looked like he panicked in his play-calling after Brady went out because Cassel was very calm and collected and played extremely well.

Does anyone here REALLY believe we would even have a winning record with Cassel?
I don't. We bearly beat the Chiefs today guys. I love the Pats as much as anyone but lets get real.

I'll ask you the same thing I asked the other chicken littles. What did Cassel do wrong today? Seriously. Cassel didn't cause the defense to play like crap in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Cassel wasn't the one who caused Randy Moss, Wes Welker or Matt Slater to Fumble the friggin ball. And it was McDaniels doing a lousy job on the play calling.

So, what the hell did you see to tell you otherwise?

Right now we have a winning record with Cassel. :p let hope it stays that way.

Fox is saying Brady;s injury is an ankle...lol

maybe they get their info from the Jets

he almost threw an INT right before the Moss TD, it was a bad throw and hit the defender right in the chest but he dropped it. I thought to myself jeez we got away with one there.

AND? Name a QB who has made 0 bad throws and 0 bad decisions...

Cassel played well but OConnell can play better imo.

Not for nothing but your opinion on the matter is absolutely worthless. You believe that a rookie can perform better than a guy in the system for 4 years. You believe this based on what he did against 3rd and 4th stringers, a lot of whom are not playing for any team right now? And just forget about the system and experience in it, that means NOTHING. Read and react? changing routes? what the hell is that, who cares.

And remember we were playing KC and Cassel didnt exactly light it up. Id hate to see what he does against the Chargers, OConnell would give us a fighting chance against the good teams.

And remember KC is an extremely young team and you have no idea how good/bad they wlil be this year. And remember Matt was not expecting to play and was thrown into the fire. And remember the O-Line didn't exactly play lights out. And remember HE PLAYED AS WELL AS YOU COULD EVEN HOPE a backup qb would play under the circumstances. And remember you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

The friggin audacity of people to claim that a rookie... ah nevermind, I just have to deal with another year in lala fairy tale land.

I believe we are a 10-12 win team with Cassel as QB. But you go ahead and watch your preseason games and declare yourself an expert. BB is stupid, he does not know more than us who actually watched the preseason. BB did not see the preseason nor does he coach/watch all his QB's in countless practices, nor has he seen Matt for 4 years.

GET REAL. Cassel might be just as good as the 2001 Brady, and the team surrounding him is a lot better.

AND? Name a QB who has made 0 bad throws and 0 bad decisions...

Not for nothing but your opinion on the matter is absolutely worthless. You believe that a rookie can perform better than a guy in the system for 4 years. You believe this based on what he did against 3rd and 4th stringers, a lot of whom are not playing for any team right now? And just forget about the system and experience in it, that means NOTHING. Read and react? changing routes? what the hell is that, who cares.

And remember KC is an extremely young team and you have no idea how good/bad they wlil be this year. And remember Matt was not expecting to play and was thrown into the fire. And remember the O-Line didn't exactly play lights out. And remember HE PLAYED AS WELL AS YOU COULD EVEN HOPE a backup qb would play under the circumstances. And remember you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

The friggin audacity of people to claim that a rookie... ah nevermind, I just have to deal with another year in lala fairy tale land.

Rookie QBs start in the NFL just like any other position if its needed. Everyone was calling for Cassel to get cut just a few weeks ago and now everyone is defending him tooth and nail! loool Cassel played like crap all preseason WITH the starters and couldnt muster more than 1 TD against the worst team in the league. Yes OConnel would play better, hes a much better scrambler and his ability to buy time in the pocket is second to none. He would have put up more than 1 TD against the friggen Chiefs.

That would be refreshing but some of you are beyond that...

Did you even see the game Tony? Do you know the OP you're agreeing with is the president of the save Chad Jackson Society???

Matt Cassel did his job today. That's all he needs to do and all Bill wants his QB to do. Run the offense and don't make costly mental mistakes. And he did it taking second second team reps all week behind the starter. Came in cold and led three scoring drives behind an inconsistent OL and unusually butterfingered veteran receivers...

That takes balls. Something Matt's most ignorant and obnoxious critics seem to be in short supply of tonight. Repeat after me: "Boy, was I wrong about Cassel..." Nope, ego won't let you do it...

He played better than half the starters in this league today and you meatheads are scouring the horizen for a better backup or calling for a raw rookie who doesn't know a quarter of the playbook to step in and save your season...

Pathetic.

Rookie QBs start in the NFL just like any other position if its needed. Everyone was calling for Cassel to get cut just a few weeks ago and now everyone is defending him tooth and nail! loool Cassel played like crap all preseason WITH the starters and couldnt muster more than 1 TD against the worst team in the league. Yes OConnel would play better, hes a much better scrambler and his ability to buy time in the pocket is second to none. He would have put up more than 1 TD against the friggen Chiefs.

o'connell will not play better.

your optimism is nice, and maybe after a couple years he'll be better, but right now he is a farcry from the #2 option behind Brady.

First round QBs start in the NFL, if Oconnell was that good he would have been a first rounder... RIGHT?

Show me one thread where I personally ever called for them to cut Cassel? I understand how useless preseason is when it comes to a fans perspective and judging players.

How did Brady play in the 2001 preaseason?

You are f'ing delusional. Oconnell's ability to buy time in the pocket is 2nd to none? Are you his brother, father, mother?? What the hell are you on, seriously? Stop posting with your heart. He's a rookie project with quick feet. Do you honestly think Oconnell would have picked up the same read that Moss picked up when he CHANGED his called route on the play that got the patriots out of the endzone?

The coaches know more than you or I ever will, and they have put Cassel as the backup and they believe in him. Just as they believed in Brady in 2001 when you didn't have much a clue of who he was.

Umm.... Not everyone was calling for Cassel to get cut, and I think it's likely that if Brady is out for any length of time, the Patriots will look for an outside QB to serve as Cassel's backup rather than having the Rookie take over as even the backup QB.

Sometimes I wonder if some posters here actually watch the games...

KO is a nice prospect, but let's get real here. KO is a rookie with ZERO seasons under his belt. Cassell knows the system, and he just got the Pats the W. Obviously BB has some confidence in Cassell or he wouldn't be out there. I think MC is the starter for the forseeable future, until Brady is healthy again.

First round QBs start in the NFL, if Oconnell was that good he would have been a first rounder... RIGHT?

Show me one thread where I personally ever called for them to cut Cassel? I understand how useless preseason is when it comes to a fans perspective and judging players.

How did Brady play in the 2001 preaseason?

You are f'ing delusional. Oconnell's ability to buy time in the pocket is 2nd to none? Are you his brother, father, mother?? What the hell are you on, seriously? Stop posting with your heart. He's a rookie project with quick feet. Do you honestly think Oconnell would have picked up the same read that Moss picked up when he CHANGED his called route on the play that got the patriots out of the endzone?

The coaches know more than you or I ever will, and they have put Cassel as the backup and they believe in him. Just as they believed in Brady in 2001 when you didn't have much a clue of who he was.

If Cassel is so good then why the heck did they draft OConnell in the friggen 3RD ROUND??? Answer me that smartass. Especially when we have TOM BRADY -and- the supposedly good "Cassel".

OConnell is a better player you can tell just by watching them play. Cassel is only in there because HE HAS MORE EXPERIENCE knowing the pats system. That doesnt mean HE WILL PLAY WELL just because he knows more. Cassel has been here for multiple years and hasnt played well yet, oh wait i forgot the 1 TD performance against the mighty Cheifs lool.

You're a neanderthal Cassel aint taking us nowhere and O'Connel would take us farther.

Cassel has years of experience in this system. O'Connell is a rookie. This is not a video game, you don't plug O'Connell in there for talent alone.

Cassel did a fine job. He is not Brady, but no other QB is.

O'Connell is waaaaaay better than Cassel, we played the Cheifs and barely won. O'Connell would be making this offense score more, we've seen it in the preseason.

I pray to god that Brady hasnt torn a ligament.

No KO'C is not waaay better; he might be in three years from now. All he can do is run around and create and that doesn't win any games against FIRST STRING NFL Defenses.

Watch the preseason through Coach Belichick's eyes. Both KOC and Gutz were not executing the Offense, Cassel was. Until a scrub (Jackson, CJ, Salter, or Ventrone) screwed it up, to kill a drive, he ran the O as it was designed to be run.

If Cassel is so good then why the heck did they draft OConnell in the friggen 3RD ROUND??? Answer me that smartass. Especially when we have TOM BRADY -and- the supposedly good "Cassel".

OConnell is a better player you can tell just by watching them play. Cassel is only in there because HE HAS MORE EXPERIENCE knowing the pats system. That doesnt mean HE WILL PLAY WELL just because he knows more. Cassel has been here for multiple years and hasnt played well yet, oh wait i forgot the 1 TD performance against the mighty Cheifs lool.

You're a neanderthal Cassel aint taking us nowhere and O'Connel would take us farther.

Oconnell may have been the best player available to them. Maybe they were down on Gutz. Maybe they don't see Cassel staying with them for the next 4 years and wanted to start grooming the next backup. Who knows why they drafted him, only them. Of course it's ironic that you use what BB and coaches did in the draft to back your thoughts that Cassel is bad but disregard the fact that those same coaches leave Cassel as the backup and not OCONNELL. HYPOCRISY.

OConnell is a better player you can tell just by watching them play.

YOU HAVE ONLY SEE HIM PLAY AGAINST SCRUBBY 4TH STRINGERS... ARE YOU FING KIDDING ME!?? You are claiming to be a better evaluator of talent than BB and the patriots coaching staff? Are you dumb?

Cassel has been here for multiple years and hasnt played well yet, oh wait i forgot the 1 TD performance against the mighty Cheifs lool.

He has never been in a MEANINGFUL game with the patriots first stringers. He played well today. The patriots OFFENSE that he is leading scored 2 TD's. It was week one against an extremely young team with virtually no previous years tape on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back