PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Brady is out O'Connell should start

Status
Not open for further replies.
or

C) Cassel is a scrub and you are a neanderthal.

Cassel and Gutz are both undrafted free agent type players they drafted OConnell because you dont want these guys backup up your QB.

First, name all the backups in the NFL better than Cassel. And then name all the terrible backups BB has had.

If he was a scrub, the patriots would have been bringing in Simms et. al a lot sooner. He's not a scrub, and you don't know football.

Wow.
Reading this thread just made me dumber.

On a side note, good thing we have so many rb's.
We may need them.

I'm kind of surprised nobody has brought this point up yet. But throwing KO to the wolves his rookie season is NOT in KO's best interests. The kid's fresh of the boat and just starting to grasp the offense. Putting him in at this stage is just going to get him killed and crush his confidence.

Let the kid hold the clipboard for at least a few months and let him learn how to do his job. If Cassell really stinks up the joint and loses us a string of games, then yeah I'd think of bringing KO in. But last I checked, Cassell managed the game well enough to get us a win. As long as MC can keep getting us wins, there is absolutely NO NEED to jump the gun and rush this kid along. The kid might be good, eventually, but it's WAY TOO SOON, and it might even ruin him.

Am I the only one who thinks this way?

I'm kind of surprised nobody has brought this point up yet. But throwing KO to the wolves his rookie season is NOT in KO's best interests. The kid's fresh of the boat and just starting to grasp the offense. Putting him in at this stage is just going to get him killed and crush his confidence.

Let the kid hold the clipboard for at least a few months and let him learn how to do his job. If Cassell really stinks up the joint and loses us a string of games, then yeah I'd think of bringing KO in. But last I checked, Cassell managed the game well enough to get us a win. As long as MC can keep getting us wins, there is absolutely NO NEED to jump the gun and rush this kid along. The kid might be good, eventually, but it's WAY TOO SOON, and it might even ruin him.

Am I the only one who thinks this way?

Agree with you 100%. I think the kid that started this thread is 12 years old, at least he acts like he is.

O'Connell is waaaaaay better than Cassel, we played the Cheifs and barely won. O'Connell would be making this offense score more, we've seen it in the preseason.

I pray to god that Brady hasnt torn a ligament.

I'm out of drugs, but evidently your not.

Rookie QBs start in the NFL just like any other position if its needed. Everyone was calling for Cassel to get cut just a few weeks ago and now everyone is defending him tooth and nail! loool Cassel played like crap all preseason WITH the starters and couldnt muster more than 1 TD against the worst team in the league. Yes OConnel would play better, hes a much better scrambler and his ability to buy time in the pocket is second to none. He would have put up more than 1 TD against the friggen Chiefs.

Would you just STOP making things up? Not everyone was calling for Cassel to get cut just weeks ago. Sorry. Not everyone is short-sighted the way you tend to be.

You can't even get your facts right. Cassel led all 3 of the Patriots scores. To say that O'Connell would have put up more than 1 TD on the Chiefs it total BS speculation on your part. Its actually downright wishful thinking and proof you didn't actually watch the game. Cassel was NOT the reason the Patriots offense wasn't better . McDaniels was. McDaniels was the one who became predictable. I can guarantee you that Cassel doesn't have audible authority. Meaning that he has to run whatever play McDaniels calls in. So, please, stop. You are only making yourself look like a bigger fool than you've proven so far.

If Cassel is so good then why the heck did they draft OConnell in the friggen 3RD ROUND??? Answer me that smartass. Especially when we have TOM BRADY -and- the supposedly good "Cassel".

I'll answer for you. Its called CASSEL IS A UFA at the end of the friggin season so will you please stop with your dumbness already. YOU are being an arrogant PR!CK about this and you are the one being the smartass.

OConnell is a better player you can tell just by watching them play. Cassel is only in there because HE HAS MORE EXPERIENCE knowing the pats system. That doesnt mean HE WILL PLAY WELL just because he knows more. Cassel has been here for multiple years and hasnt played well yet, oh wait i forgot the 1 TD performance against the mighty Cheifs lool.

You're a neanderthal Cassel aint taking us nowhere and O'Connel would take us farther.

Briz - Considering how pathetic, irrational, and ignorant you are showing yourself to be, you shouldn't pe calling anyone else a neaderthal.

YOU HAVE ONLY SEE HIM PLAY AGAINST SCRUBBY 4TH STRINGERS... ARE YOU FING KIDDING ME!?? You are claiming to be a better evaluator of talent than BB and the patriots coaching staff? Are you dumb?

You have to understand something about Briz. He thinks that because he's a blind squirrel and has found a couple of nuts (prospects that turned into something decent) he's some kind of guru at talent evaluation. The reality is that he is more ignorant on the subject of talent evaluation (because he ignores how often he's lambasted BB for the picks he's made) than anyone who has read any scouting magazine that's hit the stands.

or maybe its because Cassel is a scrub 7th round-undrafted free agent pickup who is now the starting QB of the Patriots. Im glad you have soooo much faith in him because I dont, ive seen what he has done here for multiple years and it compares closely to something that resembles fecal matter. OConnell has shown more in one preseason than Cassel has in his career, i dont care if it was against 4th stringers give him Moss and Welker and the starting oline and he will do BETTER!

Hey moron. Brady was a "scrub" 6th rounder who came in and was starting for the Patriots in his 2nd year. Adalius Thomas was a "scrub 6th rounder" who has been starting every year he's been in the league.

O'Connell didn't show more in one pre-season than Cassel has shown in his career. But, you're too ignorant to understand that.

Definite candidate for "Most ignorant thread of the day"

That's a bold statement. Let's maybe wait and see if Cassel stinks it up before we start doing the QB shuffle.

All you Cassell people out there ... HE HAS NO ARM. So effectively you have not only lost Brady but you are losing what Moss brings to the table as a deep threat. This team led by Cassell would win perhaps 10 games at best and that's being generous. He has no arm and he can't throw off his back foot ... Cassell is worse than noodle.
FBN - No offense but you don't know what you are talking about. Please stop because you are embarrassing yourself. Cassel made the pass to Moss with ease. You'd know that if you actually caught some of the replays of the game instead of being on here and making yourself look foolish.

That's a bold statement. Let's maybe wait and see if Cassel stinks it up before we start doing the QB shuffle.

It's not a bold statement at all. The thread is ignorant. Whether the opinion of the O.P. turns out to be correct, which I doubt, won't change that. His assertion is ignorant, by definition.

I'm not going to argue it ... when teams scheme against Matt Cassell my point will be proven. Today meant nothing as there is little to no game film for other teams to use. over the next few weeks our receivers will have less room to operate as teams pack it in on us ... same as it was before we got Randy Moss and Donte Stallworth. Call me hater ... whatever ... Cassell has no freaking arm ... end of story IMO. he can throw some play action and short 10-15 yard junk but he can't throw the long passes to stretch the defense and he can't throw the sideline routes ... what good is a QB that can't throw. He's here because he is very intelligent ... so wasn't Matt Cavanaugh ... so freaking what ... that's about I have to say. :mad:

People like you show your lack of intelligence by making stupid arse comments like this all the time.

Here's a news flash for you. Cassel has an arm. Just like BRADY has an arm. Your OPINION is based on nothing but your own ignorance.

Then why didn't they cut Cassel along with Gutierrez and just carry 2 QB's...

Honestly Briz you're just embarassing yourself here. But what else is new...

Briz seems to enjoy embarrassing himself.

or

C) Cassel is a scrub and you are a neanderthal.

Cassel and Gutz are both undrafted free agent type players they drafted OConnell because you dont want these guys backup up your QB.

Watch out everyone. Briz went to the Children's Museum of Boston and learned a big new word. Its called NEANDERTHAL. Of course, he doesn't have a clue as to what it means or the fact that he's embarrassing himself.

BTW, moron, Cassel was a 7th round pick. Whether you like it or not. They drafted O'Connell because Cassel is a UFA at the end of the year and to push Gutierrez. Its clear that Gutierrez couldn't handle the pressure. But you continue to prove to everyone that you are, in fact, the neanderthal and not the others who know that O'Connell hasn't proven a damn thing other than he can run a vanilla offense against 4th stringers.

do you guys see a qb out there ala schaub that is tradeable for , for like a 2nd rounder?

someone you think could step right in and be better than cassell or oconnell, someone with experience?

i've been trying to think of one since i heard about the injury

Belichick will figure it all out. However one thing I think right now is that O'connell very possibly is a 1st round caliber QB. had he played for a top 20 team he may well have been drafted in round 1 or the top of round 2.

that being said ... 1st and 2nd round guys have enough talent to pull it off ... does O'Connell have enough talent? I think he does ... but sadly he does not have much big game experience ... we'll see soon how it plays out.

I don't understand this thread.

Cassel came in and did better than we all expected. No one thought he would play as good as he did.

Cassel won. Barely. Against the freakin' Chiefs. If we have to hold on with a defensive stance late in the game against the worst team in the league at home, we are in trouble. I think ppl are giving Cassel WAAAY to much credit. Next week will be a much better test to see what Cassel is made of.

Cassel won. Barely. Against the freakin' Chiefs. If we have to hold on with a defensive stance late in the game against the worst team in the league at home, we are in trouble. I think ppl are giving Cassel WAAAY to much credit. Next week will be a much better test to see what Cassel is made of.

Cassel put up a 116 rating, completed 72% of his throws, had no interceptions and executed the game plan. People aren't giving Cassel "too much credit" by any stretch of the imagination.

Fumbrunner -
I didn't realize that Cassel caused the secondary to give up that long pass to Devard Darling... What did he do? use a mirror to flash sunlight into the eyes of Meriweather and Sanders like they do on the Buffalo Wild Wings Commercial during the baseball game?

No wait, I got it. Cassel was the one who caused Moss and Welker to both fumble the ball before Brady got injured, right? And then Cassel caused Slater to fumble later on. Course, I'm not sure how Cassel would be responsible for that since he wasn't even on the field.

No wait. I know. It was Cassel who caused Morris to miss the stunt and allow Cassel to get sacked after Hobbs nice return.

No wait. I know. Its Cassel's fault that McDaniels got predictable in his play calling. That MUST be it, right?

Cassel was 13/18 for 152 yards, a TD and ZERO interceptions. His job was to not LOSE the game. And he did that. Just like Brady's job when he first took over was to not lose games. That is the PRIMARY responsibility of the back-up QB. That is the credit I give him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back