PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the Ma Nishtana edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the matchup that I didn't want to see. Not because I am concerned about Baltimore, but because, as alluded to in comments above, we'll get all the chicken-littles and doomsayers on the board for a whole frikkin' week. Add to them the reportards and mediots and it's gonna be like having to spend Thanksgiving with the relatives from Hell.

I hope that New England blows out Baltimore, that the Patriots smack the Ravens' teeth down their throats and hold thier bloody helmets high overhead as trophies.

As much as I loath and despise the JESTs, I'm developing a real dislike for Flacco and his dock-workers. So yeah, I'm hoping that the Patriots get their blood lust up and use it wisely to carve up Baltimore, because if they do, it'll be a great morale boost before the AFCCG.

It won't matter...as Ken pointed out, this will be a "spread them out" game. That will offset their pressure and at the same time allow for some pretty decent one on one reads. Lafell being healthy is crucial as QB and receivers need to be on the same page.

"Spread them out" was easier when Brady used to throw to more than just 2 WRs consistently.

This is the matchup that I didn't want to see. Not because I am concerned about Baltimore, but because, as alluded to in comments above, we'll get all the chicken-littles and doomsayers on the board for a whole frikkin' week. Add to them the reportards and mediots and it's gonna be like having to spend Thanksgiving with the relatives from Hell.

I have bad news for you then.

It's the playoffs. It's the Patriots.

Many words will be written and spoken by mediots, reportards and cheatards.

No kidding. As patfanken points out, if the yellow flags start flying in Browner & Ryan's direction, and if the Pats turn the ball over and Brady is accosted 1/2 the game the Ravens can absolutely win.

The Ravens will not win just because these teams played in 2009, 2011 and 2012.

If the Pats line does it's job, the D plays to the level they have been all year and the WRs & Gronk get open, this is a 40-17 game.

The Pats are a superior team- period.

Last edited:
"Spread them out" was easier when Brady used to throw to more than just 2 WRs consistently.

A couple of weeks into December and the Patriots were the only team in the NFL with 3 750+ receivers. I'm guessing the stats show that Brady spreads out the ball more than people like to think.

EDIT: Unless that particular stat means something other than what it seems.

Last edited:

The Pats have four receivers with over 50 receptions this season. Three of them have over 70 receptions. Brady isn't just throwing to two receivers. Yes, two of them are not WRs, but it isn't like ta couple years ago where Welker got most of the receptions.

I'm happy with this matchup in some ways. I think the Pats will probably have to go through Seattle to win the SB, and the Ravens are good preparation in terms of their physicality and their DL. If we don't win the game we don't deserve to advance. It's time the Pats went back to when they would win the rock'em sock'em robots kind of games. My biggest concern if we win is that we will get hobbled from a physical game.

I think the tone of the game has to be very physical from the outset, on both sides of the ball. I look to Browner and Gronk to set the tone. I expect the Pats' DBs to punish the Ravens' WRs, and I expect McCourty to guard against the deep ball. Take that away and I don't think Flacco can do much. As for the OL, they've taken on physical DLs before (Detroit, Buffalo) and done ok. I think everyone knows that a 5-sack 2-interception game won't be good enough.

Just my feelings.

The Ravens were excellent last night. I don't like them or the Steelers but I'll not take anything away from either team. 18 players on IR and they still played lights out. The Steelers were good; the Ravens were better.

The Pats have played a lot of teams this season which, despite their records, are, I think, frauds -- teams that will fold under real pressure. I'd put Indy, Cincinnati, San Diego and Detroit in that category. Also Miami and (despite the fact that they beat the Patriots all ends up) KC.

But Baltimore won't give up. But, if the Pats can't beat them, then they won't win it all. Bring it on!

A couple of weeks into December and the Patriots were the only team in the NFL with 3 750+ receivers. I'm guessing the stats show that Brady spreads out the ball more than people like to think.

Yeah, I don't get this perception. I think Brady has more receiving options this season than he has had in years. They can actually go into a five receiver set with Edelman, LaFell, Gronk, Vereen, Wright, and/or Amendola and have every player capable of be a true target for Brady.

Just my feelings.

The Ravens were excellent last night. I don't like them or the Steelers but I'll not take anything away from either team. 18 players on IR and they still played lights out. The Steelers were good; the Ravens were better.

The Pats have played a lot of teams this season which, despite their records, are, I think, frauds -- teams that will fold under real pressure. I'd put Indy, Cincinnati, San Diego and Detroit in that category. Also Miami and (despite the fact that they beat the Patriots all ends up) KC.

But Baltimore won't give up. But, if the Pats can't beat them, then they won't win it all. Bring it on!

I don't know. I would put the Ravens in the fraud category until they prove otherwise. The only team with a winning record they have beaten this year is Pittsburgh. They are 0-5 against all the other teams with winning records. They can beat the Steelers, but they have yet to show they can beat any other good teams.

I don't know. I would put the Ravens in the fraud category until they prove otherwise. The only team with a winning record they have beaten this year is Pittsburgh. They are 0-5 against all the other teams with winning records. They can beat the Steelers, but they have yet to show they can beat any other good teams.

That was a tough win against a good team. The defense is legit, the Denver-style cut-block running attack is hard to stop and Steve Smith is a nasty little piece of dirt whom I wish the Patriots had signed. Forget what went on earlier, they'll be a tough out. Really looking forward to next week!

Did you watch the AFCCG last year in Denver after Blount's first 5 carries?

Or any game they've played in Miami the past 2 years?

Granted Young Josh seemed to have learned his lesson in the 2nd half of the Miami game in Foxboro 3 weeks ago.......but only after some soul searching (and MAYBE BB talking at halftime).

Look, Rob, I HOPE you are right about this Saturday. I HOPE Josh has learned his lesson by now.
Did you watch Blount and the Pats run the ball down Baltimore's throats the last time these two teams met? I believe McDaniels called those plays.

That was a tough win against a good team. The defense is legit, the Denver-style cut-block running attack is hard to stop and Steve Smith is a nasty little piece of dirt whom I wish the Patriots had signed. Forget what went on earlier, they'll be a tough out. Really looking forward to next week!

Again, they play well against the Steelers especially since they were one dimensional without Bell. Let's see them best another good team. If they beat the Pats, then they are legit. They haven't beaten another good team other than the Steelers all season.

I just can't call a team legit when they are 2-5 against teams with winning records and the two wins are against the same team.

BTW- when the Pats go man, I'm guessing they will start with matching up Browner on Steve and Revis on Torey. But that's just a guess for now

Browner is an awful matchup on S. Smith. I think you'll see Browner on either T. Smith or potentially on Daniels. I like Arrington or Ryan on S. Smith with help over the top or you put Revis on him. The problem with Revis on S. Smith is nobody else matches up well with T. Smith. Daniels is either Browner of Collins.

True, but at least Brady has completed multiple passes recently to both Amendola and Tyms. Let's hope he remembers what that felt like.

Yeah, I don't get this perception. I think Brady has more receiving options this season than he has had in years. They can actually go into a five receiver set with Edelman, LaFell, Gronk, Vereen, Wright, and/or Amendola and have every player capable of be a true target for Brady.

But will he throw to them?

I remember on the pass to Gronk vs SD that Teo intercepted Amendola was in the middle of the field without a defender in sight. It may not have gone for a TD but would be easily gone inside the 5 yard line.

Gronk had at least two defenders on him.

Browner is an awful matchup on S. Smith. I think you'll see Browner on either T. Smith or potentially on Daniels. I like Arrington or Ryan on S. Smith with help over the top or you put Revis on him. The problem with Revis on S. Smith is nobody else matches up well with T. Smith. Daniels is either Browner of Collins.
I really disagree, but thanks for bring up the topic so I have the opportunity to explain my reasoning. Let me know if you feel differently afterword.

No question Steve Smith this their most dangerous receiver, but he's also the their most physical. Despite his size Smith wins a lot of his battles not because he beats the defender cleanly with his route running, but because his physical and skilled enough to outfight him for the ball. For that reason, you match strength with strength. This is a perfect time to put Browner on Smith with help over the top then decide who you want Revis to shut down. I pick Torey as the 2nd most dangerous receiver. Putting Browner on one of the more elusive speed receivers (TSmith/JJones) seems like a worse match up to me The 2nd best match up for me for Browner if not Smith would be Daniels.

Now that being said, I wouldn't allow the Ratbirds the luxury of always knowing who is going to be guarding who on every play, or even what kind of coverage they are going to get. I would always side on mixing up the man and zone and swapping coverage responsibilities. Not a lot, but enough to put some doubt into what Flacco thinks he's going to get pre-snap.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Although I agree with you about his physicality he's also still pretty damn shifty. If he beats Browner off the line he'll catch an 8 yard in and turn it into an 80 yard TD. His YAC is still pretty impressive. I really dislike that matchup.

No kidding. As Frank points out, if the yellow flags start flying in Browner & Ryan's direction, and if the Pats turn the ball over and Brady is accosted 1/2 the game the Ravens can absolutely win.

The Ravens will not win just because these teams played in 2009, 2011 and 2012.

If the Pats line does it's job, the D plays to the level they have been all year and the WRs & Gronk get open, this is a 40-17 game.

The Pats are a superior team- period.

Yup.

Patriots record vs. Playoff teams: 4-1

Ravens record: 2-3

EDIT: Unless that particular stat means something other than what it seems.

How are you gonna run a valid "spread" with 2 WRs and 1 TE?

Can they run a spead? Sure, but your point emphasizes that this was a very top-heavy offense this year.

Did you watch Blount and the Pats run the ball down Baltimore's throats the last time these two teams met? I believe McDaniels called those plays.

Yes. That gives me hope, because it was the week after they lost in Miami (which cost them HFA and a 62 degree day January game in Denver) where went pass happy againsta vulnerable Miami run DL and lost.

Hopefully Josh McDonald goes back to understanding that balance works and to respect the clock.

True, but at least Brady has completed multiple passes recently to both Amendola and Tyms. Let's hope he remembers what that felt like.

I hear ya. Fingers crossed.

I didn't like the idea of the "KC Jones 1987 play the starters 47.5 minutes per game" strategy.

Diversification and depth is so important when it comes to the playoffs. To me, this is why Ayers was such a crucial pickup for the Pats this year. If he can spell Ninko and Chandler a bit, hopefully they won't wear down like last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
Back