PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - post draft musings

Status
Not open for further replies.
patfanken,

one question. I am sure BB went over film from last year and did much
review of where the team had problems and the best way to overcome
the defensive problems he saw.
Why do you think he took a CB over a pass rusher in the 1st round?

There weren't any 1st round caliber pass rushers that fit the Pats scheme.

There weren't any 1st round caliber pass rushers that fit the Pats scheme.

Bingo. And nobody else chose a LB or DE from #20 until #31 (Hughes). So there wasn't some premier guy there that had slipped that the Pats passed on, or else one of these other teams would've jumped on him.

There may be a valid point that the Pats could have traded up a few spots, but they would have had to move all the way up to 15-16 to get Pierre-Paul or Morgan. That big a move would have cost a 2nd, as we had no 3rd at the time. And who knows, maybe they tried and were rebuffed?

And had they moved up, that would have eliminated the 3rd rounder we got for moving down (Price), the 4th round upgrade to #113 (which got us Hernandez), and probably one of our 2nd round picks (e.g., Spikes). So it wasn't just that we got our top CB, we also got all these other great picks. The whole success of this draft was set up by the moves from 22 to 24 to 27.

Bingo. And nobody else chose a LB or DE from #20 until #31 (Hughes). So there wasn't some premier guy there that had slipped that the Pats passed on, or else one of these other teams would've jumped on him.

There may be a valid point that the Pats could have traded up a few spots, but they would have had to move all the way up to 15-16 to get Pierre-Paul or Morgan. That big a move would have cost a 2nd, as we had no 3rd at the time. And who knows, maybe they tried and were rebuffed?

And had they moved up, that would have eliminated the 3rd rounder we got for moving down (Price), the 4th round upgrade to #113 (which got us Hernandez), and probably one of our 2nd round picks (e.g., Spikes). So it wasn't just that we got our top CB, we also got all these other great picks. The whole success of this draft was set up by the moves from 22 to 24 to 27.

Exactly Graham may have been exactly what they wanted but went top 15. JPP may have freakish skills but his litany of academic ineligibility makes you realize he probably makes a box of rocks look bright. Kindle well I know alot of people wnated I felt he was overrated....considering how far he fell well there's your answer.

I loved Hughes and wanted him first round but if you check his ten yard split it wasnt all that great, or maybe BB felt he would not be good enough in coverage.

Koa, Worilds, and Cunningham were all good targets.....I think Pitt scooped Worilds on us but I am still intrigued by Cunningham.

Oh and dont forget they got Dane Fletcher as a UDFA

patfanken,

I know this question is not for me but....

4 words....

Brandon Marshall
Santonio Holmes

You want help to stop elite WRs in your own division and also with the Colts and Packers on the way,then you take the best CB at the time of the pick,that was McCourtny who was definately GONE by 44 - yes,he is better than Wilson IMO

Last edited:
patfanken,

That's a fair question, JR, and at the risk of repeating myself, here is my answer.

Quite simply I think its a matter of immediate impact. The Pats clearly look at McCourty as some one who can start from day one in the secondary (and I consider nickel backs to be starters given how many downs they are on the field, though I think he will start outside, with Butler in the slot) PLUS the has the ability to impact special teams both as a returner and cover guy.

The AFCE has added 3 top end WRs this off season, and none of them are going to be playing for the Pats, and all of them are big, so adding a good sized, physical CB will again have a bigger immediate impact on the success of the D.

Kindle, Hughes, Misi, who was my personal favorite, all are good picks, and ultimately might develop into dangerous rushers....eventually, but NONE of them are likely to be anything more than situational players in their first year. Plus from what I can gather from the numbers concerning Hughes Kindle Misi, and Cunningham, there isn't a lot to choose between them, an of the 4 Cunningham most fits the OLB prototype BB likes

Also don't forget that even at its best when the Pats were consistently in the top 5 sack leaders, they rarely had a double digit individual sacker. Their sack totals were scheme driven, and maybe have BB taking more of leadership role on the D, we may see more successful scheming.

My third thought is that NEXT year there are several guys who some think are "elite" pass rushers, and with 2 first and 2 seconds, the Pats are in a very realistic position to get that top 10 player, even if the Raiders are better than that.

I think BB's plan was to build up the middle class again, and he has with the 24 draft picks over the last 2 years. Next year is going to be different. With a very deep FA class, and a thin top heavy draft on the horizon, the Pats are in position to pick up next season, the best pass rushing prospect, one of the 4 elite WRs draftnicks are touting, and a top RB prospect. We will also be in position to pick up one 'impact' player in FA, and fill in any other holes with lesser FAs, (as I said there will be tons of them next season), then sell the rest of our picks into future years and make plans for a parade.

I see 2010 as being 2001 all over again, with the goal being to make the playoffs (realistic), and then wining at least one game, with 2011 and 2012 being a top contender. But as we saw in 2001, once you are IN the playoffs, EVERYONE has a shot.

Last edited:
Quite simply I think its a matter of immediate impact. The Pats clearly look at McCourty as some one who can start from day one in the secondary .....

Ok, that is true I believe.
I've heard that good pass D is a combination of several things. Pressure
on the QB and Coverage to name two. We often saw last year
the pass rush seemingly not getting pressure fast enough.
BUT... do you have any gut feeling or memory on how much that
was because the coverage was not good enough? I know there were
time when 4 guys just could not get to the QB but it seems there were
a lot of times the pass rush almost got there but the QB found a open guy.

Maybe BB thought last year the pass rush would have been more effective if the pass coverage was better. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News