PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - not so idle tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I don't post that often, I have been reading Patfankens's "idle thoughts" for a long while. Not only are his posts the most informative and sensible it draws informative and sensible responses from other very knowledgeable members of this forum. I watched the game yesterday at Beef O'Brady's here in the Tampa area and I told many Patriot fans about this site and I mentioned Patfanken's posts specifically. I'm hoping the real Pats fans join and contribute, I'm going to make a contribution right now. Keep up the great work all of you knowledgeable posters!
There were like 50+ Patriot fans watching the game at Boston's on Anderson Road in Tampa.

There were like 50+ Patriot fans watching the game at Boston's on Anderson Road in Tampa.

Good to know! :) Is this in downtown Tampa?

(I was looking to buy a home in the new Tampa area; but might consider changing the location based on this information. :D)

I didn't want to leave this thread without making a comment of the Special teams. Now granted we missed 2 FGs but aside from that, special teams were.....special.

KO coverage - Given the number of times we had to do it the KO coverage team was impeccable. Usually its considered a win if you hold the return team inside the 25, and a loss when they get across the 30, and a tie in between. The Pats KO'd 7 times and only allowed the Bengals beyond the 25 once (to the 27). That's is GREAT coverage, and I found it interesting that first big hit on the opening KO was delivered by the new guy White, who immediately showed why he's had great career so far as a special teams performer.

KO returns - Another home run, and not only from the TD return. IIRC every KO return but one went beyond the 25, and that was the last one. If this keeps up Tate might be a great pick up just for the KO yardage. :D

Punt return - Unspectacular and uneventful - but that's not a bad thing.
Punt coverage - one punt 44 yds and no return so far so good.

Special teams is going to win a game for us this season. It will be a hidden strength of this team that very few mediots will talk about. Very encouraging.

Is there a thread on this board where Pats Bars are?

I'm stuck in Pitts-F'n-burgh and need to find a place to escape the squeeler fans:mad::mad::mad:

I've been in the 412 for 12 years now, and have not found a reliable Patriots bar yet. Fanatics in Squirrel Hill, and Gateway Grill in Monroeville will almost always have the Pats on DirectTv/Sunday Ticket on at least one medium screen TV even as the Steelers are playing.

Is there a thread on this board where Pats Bars are?

I'm stuck in Pitts-F'n-burgh and need to find a place to escape the squeeler fans:mad::mad::mad:

2. At the end of the half we made a tactical error that cost us points. If Brady had merely spiked the ball he would have had time for another play He could have spiked with 12 seconds instead we threw a meaningless pass and had only 6 seconds which left only time for the long FG.

Interesting.
How many timeouts were remaining?
If there were timeouts, Brady could have called one, instead of a spike or quick throw, but he didn't. I believe the team was out.

If he spiked the ball with 12 seconds, with no timeouts, could the team have run a play and reset to spike the ball? Probably not. So it's a play to the outside, except now you are letting the defense set up on the sidelines rather than expecting a spike.

If there was a timeout remaining, you can spike, run a play down the middle, and call a timeout. Otherwise not.

Can anyone confirm the timeout situation?

Hats off to Tate for recognizing the lanes, but his successes are from the exceptional blocking by the kickoff team. He wasn't touched during his preseason TD or yesterday's. Great total team effort.

I always helps to run where they ain't.

If that is his talent... and easy, why don't others do it??

The fact remains that he holds nearly all the NCAA punt and kickoff return records. He would most cetainly have them all had he not missed a good portion of his senior season with the knee injury that dropped him low enough to have the Pats be able to pick him.

Last edited:
I always helps to run where they ain't.

If that is his talent... and easy, why don't others do it??

Exactly. Tate showed this talent in the preseason, where guys like Price and Slater did not. You need the blocking, sure, but you also need a guy with good kick return instincts.

That's why Slater, for all his speed, has failed returning kicks. He just doesn't have the instinct to find those holes.

Interesting.
How many timeouts were remaining?
If there were timeouts, Brady could have called one, instead of a spike or quick throw, but he didn't. I believe the team was out.

If he spiked the ball with 12 seconds, with no timeouts, could the team have run a play and reset to spike the ball? Probably not. So it's a play to the outside, except now you are letting the defense set up on the sidelines rather than expecting a spike.

If there was a timeout remaining, you can spike, run a play down the middle, and call a timeout. Otherwise not.

Can anyone confirm the timeout situation?

No timeouts were remaining. Burned one on D and one on O, IIRC.

Brady wanted toss a quick lateral to Tate who would presumably try to put the shake and bake on his man and get a quick out in time for another play, but it never really came together. Even Welker was expecting a spike. Brady overthrew so that Tate had to toe the line to catch the ball, and that left him with no room to maneuver.

I'd appreciate info on places to watch the Pats in that area. Bought property outside Bradenton on the coast where I'll be this winter. Won't have a TV for a couple weeks and then no local Pats broadcast.

Bradenton is a beautiful area. I live way north of there, I actually live in New Tampa which is north of the city. We go to Beef O'Bradys which is a local chain and they're everywhere. They have every game on. It's usually first come first serve for the TV of choice. My buddy gets there early and reserves our "good luck" TV. It's not a Patriots bar but there were a lot of Pats fans there yesterday. If you're a golfer, boater, or fisherman you've picked one of the best places in the country to spend the winter.

That's why Slater, for all his speed, has failed returning kicks. He just doesn't have the instinct to find those holes.

Except the ones in his hands.

large_4b6b2c0fedfe41e89674493802da9146.jpg

The BAD: (So I'm nit picking....its my right ;) )

1. The only time the offense was stopped was when they stopped themselves. Brady and Faulk missed connections when he was wide open TWICE killing drives. Both were balls we've come to expect Faulk to catch, but on one Brady should take the blame. One drive was killed by a rather specious holding cal, and other by Randy's slight bobble. On every occassion we were our own worst enemy.
Agreed, and not having a running game in the 2nd half, exc. for a couple of BJGE runs, also didn't help.

2. At the end of the half we made a tactical error that cost us points. If Brady had merely spiked the ball he would have had time for another play He could have spiked with 12 seconds instead we threw a meaningless pass and had only 6 seconds which left only time for the long FG.
Agreed, though Tate should've run a couple of more yards too. Not that Mr. Clutch would've made the FG anyway.

3. BB should have challenged Shipley's 3rd down catch. It really looked like a pick to me, and I think the replays confirmed it. I don't understand why he didn't challenge it. If they had the D would have looked even better.
Completely agree, though Meriweather should've done a better job of turning & twisting away from Shipley.

4. On their last offensive play, the Pats, Brady had Faulk WIDE open in the flat when he tried to force the ball into Welker. I really hope that Brady isn't going to start to look at Welker at the exclusion of others, like it seemed sometimes last season. He has a lot of weapons this season.
Didn't see it; the CBS affiliate in Harrisburg switched to Doofins-Bills after the last Cinci TD. Too bad they couldn't just kill the clock by running the ball. (BTW, I can't stand that loudmouth Sparano.)

5. Missed tackles - There were certainly a lot fewer than last season, but enough to make mention.
Agreed.

6. Hernandez dropped what was a great throw by Brady to the only open spot available. I know Felger said it was a bad throw by Brady, but that only proves my point. :D
He made a similar TD catch in the pre-season, so I know he knows what to do. (BTW, I still don't think that Welker scored a TD.)

7. I don't want to see that running play where the TB runs a counter to the weak side. He literally has to run about 5 yds parallel to the LOS in the opposite direct of the blocking strength just to get to the hole, Amazingly we ran the play about 3 or 4 times and I doubt we got 2 yds combined.
Our run game will continue to suck - and cost us games - as long as the talent is old, the youth is mediocre, and there is no true Lead Blocker on the roster.

The GOOD: Lots of Good

1. First let me note that Cinci is going to be a very good football time. I was impressed with Palmer. He threw a lot of passes into very small targets during this game. His receivers made a number of very tough catches as well. And though while it wasn't perfect the run D held a rushing attack that was one of the best in the league last year. This is an offense that I believe will be very productive the rest of the way.
Probably, though we'll see how they bounce back next week.

2.It should also be noted that the Bengals last season had the 4th best overall defense. They were 6th vs the pass 7th vs the run, and 6th in scoring. As far as I know they weren't missing anyone and had the same DC. So it wasn't some rinky dink D we pushed around out there. This offense is as good as we thought it might be.
At least the passing game is as good. But we need a clock-killing running game, too. Otherwise, we'll lose games in the 4th quarter like we did last year.

3. RBs- I loved what BB did with Taylor - First Talyor looked great, but BB is definitely going to keep his carries to a minimum. Its a long season and today is the last day Taylor (or any RB for that matter) is going to feel 100%. BB know Fred's age and isn't going to ride that horse hard. BJGE is what he is, but I'll be happy when Maroney is back to share the load.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for LaMa to share the load.

4. QB - It was easy to see the improvement. Tom looked much more composed in the pocket, and except for a about 4 or 5 throws was very accurate.
Tom looked Terrific, though he almost had Faulk killed on that one throw behind him.

5. WRs - Welker and Moss were like they never stopped playing from last year. Even Tate got a taste or two.
I'd like to see Tate get more than a taste, if he can handle the load.

6. TE's - I think we got a taste of what that package might bring today.....just a taste. All three have proven they can be more than blockers, though Crumpler and Gronk are very good.
This could be the best TE group since Francis/Hasselbeck.

7. OL- I saved the best for last - I'm as frustrated about the Mankins situation as the next guy, and I hope it gets resolved, but that OL did a great job in both aspects of the game. Again that was not a weak Defense either. I did get concerned when Neal went out, and was greatly relieved to see him return to the game. I like our OL, but I'm not thrilled with our depth. Getting back Mankins and Kazcur will go a long way in solving THAT problem.
I was glad to see Neal return, too. However, I don't see Mankin$ returning, ever; nor Oxy-K until much later in the season, if then. I still don't understand why Bill's saving him a precious roster spot.

8. DL - Now granted I didn't pay as close attention in the 2nd half, but the first half was a revelation. The Pats completely shut down the Bengals running game and provided consistent pressure to Palmer for most of the game. Not great pressure, but a lot more than it seemed we got last season....especially in the first half. It should be noted (and I'm sure it has been ;) ), that the DL was definitely not just standing there and taking on blockers. They were attacking the LOS more than I've seen a Pats team do in recent years. Clearly BB is playing to his team's strengths in this regard.
The DEs aren't stout enough to take on blockers, so they might as well shoot the gaps.

9. ILBs - That was a remarkable catch by Gary Guyton. If you watch the replay carefully it looks like the ball was past him, when he literally takes it out of the TEs hands, and he caught it with his hands in the absolute worst position to catch a ball. I've seen the replay a dozen times and I still can't figure out how he caught the ball.
Guyton is clearly the team's best LB in coverage, much better than vs. the run.

Mayo and Spikes showed well against the run, and surprisingly well vs the pass, certainly better than what we've seen this preseason. Now they both weren't as effective in the 2nd half, but that might have been more of a function of the score.
I hope it was a function of the score, though Mayo didnt make any plays in the 1st half either - just his normal tackles 6 yds downfield.

10. OLBs - Ninkovich amazingly seemed to stand out more than the rest of OLBs. Aside from about 3 rushes TBC seemed pretty ordinary to to me and badly missed one tackle on a receiver in space. This isn't to say they played badly, they just by and large didn't stand out. I was particularly disappointed I didn't hear Cunningham's name called.
Agreed, though I believe it was Cunningham who almost sacked Palmer on the INT that wasn't. But hey, he at least saw the field, which is more than Crable ever did.

DBs - McCourty stood out, Chung Stood out. Merriweather Stood out. Butler covered better than the numbers indicated. ChadO caught a lot of balls that were either right on the money into very tight coverage, or simply made some great catches. I thought both CBs tackled exceptionally well. Wilhite was solid in the slot and while I love James Sanders, I'm real glad he's not starting any more.
McCourty is already > Butler, who still plays too soft & uninstinctively too many times (e.g.: 85's TD catch). Chung is >>> Sanders, who is too short, too slow (e.g: 85's TD catch) and too small (e.g.: Gresham's TD catch) to be anything more than a 5th Safety. And Wilhite is Wilhite: usually a step or more behind the receiver.

Overall I was VERY happy with the defense. Again that is a VERY good Bengal offense, and even when they were scoring, I couldn't help notice how grudgingly we were giving yds up. It seemed every first down was a struggle. Lots of 3rd and shorts just barely made. Good open field tacking and tight coverage, with lots balls having to be fit in very tight windows, and good catches made. When you compare it to the wide open receivers the Pats had most of the time, it was pretty impressive, A good start for a defense we hope will be much better at the end of the season as they mature.
However, only one sack when taking all of Palmer's pass attempts into account, is simply Unacceptable. The lack of a consistent pass rush will cost us games this year, unfortunately.

On offense I think we all feel better about the run game. It will never be our bread and butter, but I should be good enough to compliment a very exciting passing game. It will also be exciting to watch how the TEs are integrated into the offense. It was fun to see the taste we got....knowing it was only a taste.

I wish I could share your optimism for the running game, but I just don't see it, unless LaMa has the best season of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft