PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts.....is it just me.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF QBs have done well against NE going way back....Palko is probably a lower than a WTF QB.....Tyler against this D will be interesting.

I'm anticipating freezing my ass off at the game, and I'm not excited about it. We Southeast Asians don't do well in the cold.
Hey, Pat - you might be able to sell the "I've been in a tropical wonderland for some years" package to some, but I'm not buying it. I'm pretty sure where you were wasn't like Bangkok, Singapore or Ho Chi Minh City. Nice try! Just kidding, enjoy the game and wear your long johns.

I sure hope that the Patriots players are taking the Chiefs more seriously than everyone on this board.

MNF possibly will, they play great on MNF. But reality is we sleep way too much, we get cute and fancy and end up blowing games or almost blowing them when there is a backup QB or a history of success in our favor.

MNF possibly will, they play great on MNF. But reality is we sleep way too much, we get cute and fancy and end up blowing games or almost blowing them when there is a backup QB or a history of success in our favor.

The Pats haven't lost a game to a back up QB since 2004. People need to stop this myth. In fact, in the Danger, Danger thread, there are several examples of the opposite.

The Pats haven't lost a game to a back up QB since 2004. People need to stop this myth. In fact, in the Danger, Danger thread, there are several examples of the opposite.

So many stupid threads
So little time to read them

Thanks for the tip Rob

What if I changed that to bad QBs, Sanchez x 3, Flacco, McCoy, Fitzpatrick etc.

Those guys would be backups to a lot of other starters.

I've been totally amped for this game since Edelman took out that punk LDT.

I need MORE Patriots football.

I can see how some fans have had trouble with the game being on Monday night, the opponent kind of sucking and a back-up QB.

One guy who isn't taking tonight lightly is Romeo C.

In short, rip their tits off!!!!

.....or is anyone else lacking the usual anticipation for this game. Certainly there ARE things that I'm hoping to see in this game, But unlike in every other week this season, I am having a lot of trouble visualizing a way that KC can win this game.

Then again I had a hard time visualizing the Broncos beating the Jets. But at least there were some mitigating factors in the Jet loss. They had to play a road game in a tough venue in less than 5 days after suffering a bitter loss at home to the Pats. On the other hand the Pats have no such issues. They are at home, after a long week, hosting a team that was suffering offensively BEFORE they lost their starting QB.

No folks, this is going to be one of those games where the adrenaline will remain under control and the anxiety meter will stay in the green. That being said, here are the things I hope to see in the way of progression at games end

1. Ocho continuing his progression being integrated into the offense (3+ catches)
2. The secondary continuing their solid play
3. 10+ QB hits/sacks by the DL
4. More from the running game
5. And above all, an injury free game. (the only pre-game anxiety I feel)

And since I was bored this weekend here are some other miscellaneous thoughts that occurred to me.

1. The media's total ball washing of the Packers thus far has been totally obnoxious. They have played very few tough opponents and their defense looks as suspect as ours. In fact the 30th ranked Defense in the league has allowed only 18 fewer yards per game than our beleaguered group, And in the most important stat, they are actually ranked lower than us in scoring D.

Rodgers is truly having an historic year at QB. While he hasn't proven to me he's better than Brady over the long haul, this PARTICULAR season has been spectacular. It could end up being the best single season ever by a QB. Still, I we make it to the superbowl, and the team progresses and more importantly is relatively healthy, I like our chances against the favored Packers.

BTW- if the media was THIS bad ball washing us in 2007, I can better understand the animosity toward the Pats by the rest of the league's fan base. The media's front running is positively irritating.

2. While I expect to see a win, all the surprising losses we see each week should point out to us how really HARD it is to win in this league. EVERY team has a lot of very good players, and even the JAGs at the end of the roster are extraordinary athletes. I know this goes against how I started this thread, but c'mon Tyler Palko, on the road..... give me a break. ;)

3. Did anyone else watch the bits of the Bills/Dolphins game and think....."Damned, Fitzpatrick didn't miss any of those open receivers in OUR game". Its been like, ever since he signed his new contract his mojo left him. BTW the Dolphins look like the team we thought they might be the last 3 games. They are going to finish this season with 6 or more wins.

4.Since I didn't spend much of this week agonizing over the Chief's game, I started thinking more about next off season and how this team continues to improve. Here are some of those ideas

OFFENSE

1. I'll start off with a controversial one. One that's based on the supposition that by the time the season ends, Ocho with be fully integrated into the offense and is playing like the guy we hoped we'd get at the start. IF that's the case, then I'd resign him and let Branch walk. I know Branch is on of Brady's favorites, but Ocho COULD be a bigger stronger version of Branch going forward. A guy better suited to play against the tight physical coverages we are seeing more these days. Branch tends to disappear under these circumstances. He's much better suited to go against zone D's. He also is more likely to remain healthy.

2. Don't Draft an offensive lineman with one of the first 5 picks. Dan Connolly's play has been eye opening. He is more than just holding his own. With the very capable Dan Koppen coming back, the need to draft the C of the future can be put off another year. Of course if the Pats decide not to resign Koppen, then of course adding a C in the draft would make a lot of sense, but I don't want to see it happen in the first 2 rounds

3. Given it likely that either Ocho or Branch isn't going to be with the team next season, it would be a good idea to add a "field stretching" WR either in the draft or FA. I know that every is calling for this, but I am of the belief that its a luxury addition, NOT a necessity. How can it be a necessity when the offense has been so productive the last 2 years without one.

That being said, it the right guy is available in the 2nd or third round, it would be worth a shot, plus I'm sure there are a number of guys who will be available in FA at a good price. The guy who comes immediately to mind is Braylon Edwards. He has the size and speed that would fit the bill, and with his injury prone season this year, he wouldn't command a huge price. Just a thought, I'm sure there are others.

4. Even with Faulk likely to retire, I think the 4 guys we have plus some camp bodies for competition should give us enough of a rushing attack to complement the offense

5. Lets find the next Lee Smith/Will Yeatman late in the draft or FA. Hopefully one of those guys will get released some time in the off season.

6. Sign Welker. He's shown this season that he is much more than just a "nice slot receiver" He deserves the big contract. But that being said, he's small and over 30, and a guy who has taken a wicked beating over the last 4 years. When guys of his stature start to slip, they go downhill FAST. What I think is fair would be a 3 year deal at $8MM/year with 2 guaranteed. I wouldn't hate a 4 year deal if the real money was all in the first 2 years. I think that's less than the market for guys with his production, but even he has to realize that being in NE has helped him and he'd be better off here long term.

DEFENSE.

DL - Carter and Anderson have been revelations but we still need to develop a younger outside pass rushing threat. I haven't given up on Cunningham yet, but getting another DE/OLB type with one of those first 5 picks would be my hope

On the draft pages the "gurus" have been hyping a couple of nice sounding interior DL prospects, but I think that the young combination of Brace, Deadrick, Pryor and Love make adding a top prospect at DT/3-4 DE a luxury Plus there a ton of Gerard Warren types available in FA if necessary. So NO to investing heavily in an interior DLman

LB- I am really pissed that Dane Fletcher has been unable to get on the field thus far. I have great hopes for him. But that being said, I like what we have at LB. I think people will start to realize the Value Rob Ninkovitch has. Mayo and Spikes are very good at what they do, though Mayo has been affected by the change to the 4-3 this year. Cunningham's future remains to be seen, an Tarpanian is a interesting guy to watch going forward. Bottom Line - Stay away from adding ILBs - Take a shot at an OLB/DE pass rushing prospect early.

If anything I think the "coverage ILB" is an emerging position in this new age of the passing attack. Its the reason Tarpanian was kept around to see if he can develop into this guy. Its become clear that Gary Guyton hasn't. So it will be interesting this off season to see who might fit this need in the draft and FA. I think they are a rare commodity and their value is growing.

DB's - Keep 'em coming. I'd like to see at least 2 impact safeties added. I hope the Pats will add one of the top 3 FAs at the position, while adding the best rookie S available with one of their first 4 picks. Those guys along with Chung and the best of Iheadabu/Barrett would give a very solid group. I also hope we add another big CB with one of the first 4 picks. Having a group of 3 guys over 6 foot in Dowling, Mouldin, and the Rookie to go along with McCourty and 2 others will give us the size, depth and flexibility to take on the better passing attacks we will face.

SUMMARY

In no particular order with our first 4 picks in the draft (I'm assuming one will be traded forward) I'd like to see us pick up a safety, CB, OLB/DE and field stretching WR or C depending on what we do with Koppen.

In FA - I want to see an "impact" safety and anything else BB wants on the defensive side of the ball. I think Carter and Anderson can continue to be impact players in 2012, but beyond that is questionable.

Well hopefully this will provide some entertainment while we wait for the overhype of this game to begin.

Usually I am really excited for a MNF game but this time I will not get to see much of the game if any.

I'm anticipating a game I can actually relax and enjoy for a change...

And Ken, Ocho is signed thru 2013. The question will be whether he warrants a roster spot next season. He will have to show he can do a lot more than he has to replace Branch who will likely re-sign here for pennies on the dollar since he's already cashed in on his big deal and had to suffer through it. Branch may not always light up the stat sheet, but he does so often enough and he does so when the matchups pan out and in the interim he does all the little things right that help his teamates produce. I expect to see Chad's #'s padded over the next several weeks. Whether that translates into bankable production in crunch time will however remain to be seen until we get to crunch time again which likely won't happen until the playoffs.

Knowing the injury situation I am somewhat worried going into any game right now. Even though we had an unbelievable performance last week we could always follow it up with a Pittsburgh-like performance. KC has some big wideouts.

And like I said in another thread we often struggle with former coordinators and new QB's.

His skill set is a tremendous asset in today's NFL.

Oh, absolutely.

Lee looks like a keeper, no doubt. I love the intensity and scrappiness that he plays with. And the pass coverage skills are superior to many ILB's in today's NFL, especially for a young up-and-comer.

That said, I'd still give anything to have a guy like Patrick Willis any day of the week (no comparison on any level of course). I think if I were to start an NFL franchise on that side of the ball, he'd certainly be one of the top few considerations to me, personally.

Knowing the injury situation I am somewhat worried going into any game right now. Even though we had an unbelievable performance last week we could always follow it up with a Pittsburgh-like performance. KC has some big wideouts.

And like I said in another thread we often struggle with former coordinators and new QB's.

I'm certainly not as confident as most either.

That said, it should be just fine; however I don't see the incredible blowout that most see here.

Relax, after the past several games, I'd have to venture a guess that you deserve it ;)

Oh, absolutely.

Lee looks like a keeper, no doubt. I love the intensity and scrappiness that he plays with. And the pass coverage skills are superior to many ILB's in today's NFL, especially for a young up-and-comer.

That said, I'd still give anything to have a guy like Patrick Willis any day of the week (no comparison on any level of course). I think if I were to start an NFL franchise on that side of the ball, he'd certainly be one of the top few considerations to me, personally.

Oh, of course. Willis is a beast and combined with Bowman represents the better half of the best ILB duo in the league.

I only like Lee so much because 1.) linebackers who can cover like a safety are becoming increasingly valuable and 2.) he wasn't a stud by pre-draft consensus and thus was somewhat unforeseen.

Incidentally, speaking of blue chip prospects, Von Miller sure is turning into a stud.

Last edited:
Yes, the Pats end the season with 7 consecutive trap games. ;)

Can you trap, trap games between trap games. Or do you have to stack trap games in front of other trap games. Just wondering?

What if I changed that to bad QBs, Sanchez x 3, Flacco, McCoy, Fitzpatrick etc.

Those guys would be backups to a lot of other starters.

Except when those guys performed against the Pats, they were performing against the rest of the league too. Sanchez is a flukey QB who has had as many bad games vs. the Pats as good ones. Flacco at one point was a good QB who progressively got worse. Fitzgerald was stellar until he signed his new deal and fell apart. McCoy was decent last year.

I'm certainly not as confident as most either.

That said, it should be just fine; however I don't see the incredible blowout that most see here.

Relax, after the past several games, I'd have to venture a guess that you deserve it ;)

Word, this is the NFL! Plus each win is crucial and one step closer toward your goal, a sigh of relief. I'd like to be breathing that sigh closer to halftime than the end though, gotta be up early tomorrow lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3