PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts.....and now we get....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely recall a play where only 2 rushed. Maybe it was a 2-4-5 formation that started it?

By the way -- against any style of Wildcat where the usual QB stays in the game and splits out as a receiver, I'd like to see Wilfork covering him ... and jamming him at the line. :singing::D:singing:

True, that would probably be a running play, and Wilfork could be very useful in his usual position ... but it might be worth it. Heck, the offense would be best advised to just call a timeout and do something else.

Last edited:
Thoughtful post Ken. (Pls disregard the ppl who are offended by any critiques of the team...)

As I have said before, the strength of the Offense on this team is amazing and surprising to me. They are carrying the 9-2 record of course, as the #1 scoring O in the league, with the WORST yardage D (more on that). I did not anticipate Brady being perfect, and the emergence of a running game, nor the strength of our TE sets. ITs phenomenal to watch. And even when the O gets stuck, it hard to blame them, since they consistently put up nearly 30 points.

The defense is an enigma. Part of me feels that BB is teaching them to play bend but dont break giving up more space than necessary, as a fundamental. And then later in the season he will tighten it up! :rolleyes: Wouldnt that be great?

Otherwise, I think it is what it is -- keep them in front of you, and hope for mistakes. When mistakes come, create turnovers. But sheesh, its stressful to watch.

The only way to improve within the D framework I guess is: create more pass rush, have better DBs who react to balls in the air. Not sure if either of those will change this year. Therefore, either tighten it up and take more risk, or give up 400 yards per game and make some plays. Ouch.

-- FRITZ

-- The Arrington DE experience is an interesting twist, especially at a time when NE's primary interior pass rush has been inactive. Arrington is putting some real pressure on the RTs ... and what makes it more interesting is Butler playing back at his old RCB slot and not getting his name called negatively. Speaking of name calling, has anyone identified whom NE is playing at LCB?

-- NE has been able to compensate for an injured Wilhite with a three Safety Nickel. James Sanders has been doing yeoman's work in the SS role, while Patrick Chung is playing a big Nickel. I like how Sanders has become the on-field coordinator Rodney Harrison predicted for him, his interception of Peyton Manning speaks volumes in that regard, but it's the execution of complex Belichick schemes by the youngest defense in the NFL which stands out (five forced turnovers in the past two games). It's interesting how Sanders & Meriweather has been the outfield duo ... BB has been trying to create a working Big Nickel and this iteration looks promising.

-- Gary Guyton, Brandon Spikes, Dane Fletcher, and some other dude, his name escapes me ... anywho, there's measurable growth going on at ILB with two third year players and two rookies, I'm keen to see 2011, while enjoying the weekly growth of 2010. The plays I looked at from the Cleveburgh game were fascinating for the way the DL executed to keep whatshisname clean to flow to the ball.

-- Pepper has three DL whom he plays all over, oddly enough they are all veteran players with the required virtue of veteran guile and flexibility. The way this frees BB & Co. to move the Wilfork chess piece has been fun to watch. I have to wonder where Vince will line-up against the Jest, if Pryor's back and Wright's brain can heal up for this game and join a NT rotation with Kyle Love and Gerard Warren I can see Vince at RDE forcing run plays at Ron Brace, Jermaine Cunningham, and Brandon Spikes (behind the Jest's reserve RT).

The kids are alright. :cool:

I am fairly sure that Brace did not drop back into coverage. :rolleyes:

Ehh... ok, i don't want to drop to the level of petty argument, so hopefully, the game will be shown on replay and i'll record it if I can.

I definitely recall a play where only 2 rushed. Maybe it was a 2-4-5 formation that started it?

That's what I thought too. And it wasn't just me. The whole room full of people with me were confused. Anyway, evidence is needed.

-- NE has been able to compensate for an injured Wilhite with a three Safety Nickel. James Sanders has been doing yeoman's work in the SS role, while Patrick Chung is playing a big Nickel.

Chung has been playing "star" position (safety/nickle) since the Miami game at least where he was up on Brandon Marshall for much of the game. He's been pretty effective at it, particularly his ability to jam and reroute -- he has tremendous upper body strength for a DB...

-
-- Pepper has three DL whom he plays all over, oddly enough they are all veteran players with the required virtue of veteran guile and flexibility. The way this frees BB & Co. to move the Wilfork chess piece has been fun to watch. I have to wonder where Vince will line-up against the Jest, if Pryor's back and Wright's brain can heal up for this game and join a NT rotation with Kyle Love and Gerard Warren I can see Vince at RDE forcing run plays at Ron Brace, Jermaine Cunningham, and Brandon Spikes (behind the Jest's reserve RT).

The kids are alright. :cool:

I like how you mention Wilfork lining up at RDE. This will definitely create an interesting match-up because of Woody's injury over at RT. If they have Warren/Love at NT and Brace/Warren/Deaderick at LDE, one will wonder where the Jets will run the ball.. Will they Double/triple Wilfork and run at him, or will they run up the middle.

One thing that will be interesting is how LdT does against us the second time around..

On a separate note, I want Woodhead to light up the Jets..

If you can tell me at what part of the game it occurred (quarter and time), I will go back and take another look at it.

-- The Arrington DE experience is an interesting twist, especially at a time when NE's primary interior pass rush has been inactive. Arrington is putting some real pressure on the RTs ... and what makes it more interesting is Butler playing back at his old RCB slot and not getting his name called negatively. Speaking of name calling, has anyone identified whom NE is playing at LCB?

Yes i was surprised that nobody talked about the fact that Butler put in 20 reps this past game. He is quietly making a comeback.

I love Arrington coming off the line of scrimmage- I seem to remember he could handle the RB's in training camp when they ran that blitz pick up drill and that could be where they got the idea to put him in as 9 tech in 3 point, and not even as a stand up.

The Jets are overrated as usual. I expect them to make a tough game next weekend no doubt but the fact is that they own Randy Moss, NOT the New England Patriots T-E-A-M.

Football Outsiders has the most accurate stats IMO by far, and they consider this Pats Offense as the second best in the history of their stat keeping, tied with the 2004 Colts and right behind the 2007 Pats O.

Defensively, I have never believed we are as bad as people think. This team could switch from worst to above average IMO by playoffs. We are surviving without a #2 CB, without our #2 DL ( Ty Warren), with Cunningham as our only pass rusher with 'potential'. I am not worried about our defense overall as long as they don't hit some kind of rookie wall. When you consider that it takes most players a couple years to get a clue what they are doing in the NFL, I think this defense is coming along well. I think the bigger games will actually lend 'focus' to the young grasshoppers...

There was a time when a 9-2 football team was actually considered to be a good team.

If you can tell me at what part of the game it occurred (quarter and time), I will go back and take another look at it.

I think in the 4th quarter they rushed 2 guys. I think it was a positive play for the Pats too.

I meant defensive linemen.

Just because a player lines up at the line of scrimmage doesn't make them a lineman, a.k.a. Vrabel, or more recently, Arrington.

Also the firezone blitz is rushing 5 men out of a 33 coverage. While in a 4-3 scheme you would have a lighter DE drop off to cover the curl/flat, in the Pitts scheme, a 3-4, I think an extra linebacker does this if I'm not wrong.

I agree its rare for us, but we did do it a bit when Seymour was younger. He would jump out into the flat.

The Steelers drop Aaron Smith into coverage and Keissel to a lesser extent. But I agree often times in the 3-4 its a LB. But you can't continuosly do that without tipping it off.

4-3 Ends do it often as you stated. Wow real football talk I don't know what to do with myself.:D

I made the mistake of looking at a Jets' message board yesterday, Ken, and saw that you made the bigger mistake of writing a lengthy post over there. What a fiasco--the fans there are truly pathetic. I'd suggest you save yourself the trouble in the future.

Actually, maybe it wasn't a mistake to look at the Jets' board--it makes this board look freakin' brilliant.

I don't care about the yds. Back in 2001 and 2003 BOTH those D's were in the mid 20's in total D. BUT...both those teams were in the top 10 in scoring D. Actually top 5 IIRC. I just keep waiting and except of a few things that I will discuss below, does it real seem to be getting better guys?
The 2003 New England Patriots defense were first in points allowed (238 points allowed) and seventh in yards allowed (4666 yards allowed).

2003 New England Patriots Statistics & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com

I made the mistake of looking at a Jets' message board yesterday, Ken, and saw that you made the bigger mistake of writing a lengthy post over there. What a fiasco--the fans there are truly pathetic. I'd suggest you save yourself the trouble in the future.

Actually, maybe it wasn't a mistake to look at the Jets' board--it makes this board look freakin' brilliant.

I'm one of those guys that never looks at the car accident on the highway. I purposely refuse to turn my head and drive on. JI and GangGreen are a twenty car pile-up with assorted body parts and fires. Pass.

Last edited:
Linemen do not spy. They also do not play zone because they don't drop back "into coverage."

It depends on what you mean by 'spy'. There are times when linemen don't rush the QB. The most notable is when a DT or NT has middle screen/draw responsibility. And linemen DO drop back into coverage in certain zone blitz schemes (or said better, it's been tried in the past even if it's not very common). However, I haven't seen the Pats run any of those exotic blitzes with linemen dropping back into coverage . Also, I don't recall seeing any 2 man rushes this year.

WW

I love Arrington coming off the line of scrimmage- I seem to remember he could handle the RB's in training camp when they ran that blitz pick up drill and that could be where they got the idea to put him in as 9 tech in 3 point, and not even as a stand up.

Great info. I totally missed seeing or reading about that at camp. That's the kind of detail I love to read about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft