PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - a hearsay edition.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Right from the start I have to admit I did not see the first half of the game, though I did listen to it on the radio. (....and I miss Gil Santos. Not that the other guy did a bad job but its hard not to hear a voice that we've associated with Pats football for over 30 years was a bit sad.)

1. LaGarrete Blount made a big impression. However that being said, I'd rather he emulate ASmith, than CJ Spiller. Let me try and make sense of that last remark. Antowain Smith was a super effective running back for the Pats for the first 2 superbowls. He was EFFECTIVE, not spectacular, or even noteworthy. IIRC he never had a 4.0 ypc season.

What he DID do was always move the ball down the field. He was great in SY and GL situations, and rarely had a negative yardage play. In those years the Pats OL was far from dominant, and Smith ALWAYS got what was there plus a yard or 2. He ALWAYS fell forward, and in the "move the chains" kind of offense the Pats have run for the last decade, that "skill" shouldn't be underestimated.

So while its damned exciting that our current 250 lb running back can reverse field and take it 50 yds for a TD and leap over tacklers and show an unexpect burst. What THIS team needs him to be is a guy they can count on to move the chains on SY and score on the GL.

I'm not saying he can't, or won't do those things here, but according to many Buc's fans, he didn't do them down there. No doubt he probably won a job tonight, and is a viable replacement if Ridley goes down. But he has an important potential role to play in this offense. Its a role he's fully capable of filling. I just hope he does. All that "other" stuff is just gravy.

2. Brady was great. The rookie and new receivers made it look like they'd been here for years.....yada yada, yada. The media will harp on this all week, and once again show us that they continue to have have a "keen sense of the obvious" The real story of tonight's scrimmage was our first peak at the dominance of the Pats first team OL (even with a 3rd string RG)

I was hoping this OL would be dominant this season, and I was happy to see some indications that my expectations have a good chance at being met. Solder is entering his prime and is likely to start a run of of Pro Bowl appearances that will last into the next decade.. Mankins had his first off season without rehabbing in 2 years and looked like the LG who deserved all that money. Wendell was a surprising success in his first year as a starter, and can only get better as he adds to his experiences. Volmer, like Mankins had his first offseason without a major medical problem in a couple of years and like Mankins is fully set to regain his title of the top RT in the league.

Now comes the only question of the OL and that's RG. But last night told us an important thing. We have 2 guys we KNOW that can be solid assets at the position, Svitek and Connolly, and one guy who has the potential to be awesome at the position. So either way the OL can only get better

When Connolly and Cannon come back the OL depth will dramatically improve. Not to mention how it will improve once Gronk returns to form. Then Dante will only have to find 2 guy from the rest to rise to the top and nail down a job on the final 53. Needless to say, I am VERY excited about about the potential of this year's edition of the Pats OL.

3. The most interesting roster issues on the offense are clearly going to be at RB and TE. After labor day, some team is going to pick up a good player from these positions. And for the next 3 weeks the topic will provide a lot of good "talk" in all the roster threads to come. Too early for me to make an opinion but things will get very interesting after the next exhibition game.

4. Count me among those who thought that Ryan Mallet looked better than last season. Not as good as I would have liked, not as bad as I've been led to believe. He certainly looked better (or rather sounded ;) ) than Matt Cassel did back in the 2008 preseason. From what I've heard all camp is that Mallet has improved in his 3rd year. That his footwork, decision making and accuracy are all better. Does he still take to long in getting the ball out? Probably, but he'll always looks slow compared to Brady. But so would a great majority of NFL QB's.

5. Tebow however is another story, but not of the usual reasons. I could actually can see a role for him on the team, especially if the Pats were willing to create a "Tebow-specific series of plays" for him. He is certainly a more than capable #3 QB. I mean how many #3 QB's have a 9-7 record as an NFL starter?

That being said, I don't think all the things he brings to the table is worth the extremely valuable roster spot that carrying a 3rd QB will risk. The fact is, I've grown comfortable only carrying 2 QB's for the regular season, and grabbing a suitable young arm for the PS. Right now I wouldn't sacrifice Jake Ballard, Zach Sudfield or Hoomanawanui for Tim Tebow.

6. I didn't hear Chandler Jones name mentioned much, so I was concerned about his play. It was comforting to hear from AZ that he showed the flashes that keep hope alive that he'll have the "big year" we all hope.

7. A lot of talk about the DeSean Jackson TD. Here's my take (and I've seen the replay several times now):

First Talib - He was clearly beaten off the press by a nice move by Jackson. That's going to happen people, they are paying the other guys too. Jackson is a very elusive receiver and a perfect match up for Philly based on the kind of big CB Talib is. All that being said, Talib still got back into a decent "underneath" position that would have given him a chance to make a play if the pass hadn't been perfectly thrown. I have said time and time again, NO DB can cover a perfectly thrown ball without committing a penalty.

As to Gregory, he certainly was late to the party. BUT, before you condemn him, it would be necessary to figure out what the coverage was, and what his responsibilities were. If the coverage called and formation made Gregory responsible for sideline support over the top, then he deserves all the blame you can hand out, since his tardiness and angle to the ball were clearly evident. HOWEVER, if he had other responsibilities, and was only reacting to a ball in the air, then all the hate has been unjustified.

8. Wilfolk and Kelly look to be a nice inside presence, and Kelly looks (or sounds) like he could be the man to provide the inside pass rush we've been looking for the last 2 seasons. Still Armstead's absence in training camp is among my biggest disappointments to this camp. Armstead and Cannon were 2 of my biggest binkies, and neither can seem to make it to the field.

9. Anyone have a comment on the progress of Jake Bequette? He got a lot of reps.

10. All right, I've tried, but I can't help myself. Yes, the rookie WRs and Sudfeld have got me excited. All seem to have one skill that we haven't seen from our WR's since Moss, and that's the ability to catch a back in tight quarters.

Thompkins reminds me of a young Deion Branch only a little bigger.. He seems like an outside guy who runs precise routes and has the ability to accelerate out of his breaks in order to get separation. But he has the potential to be even better because he also seems more capable of YAC than Deion and utilize inside routes that Deion avoided.

Dobson reminds me of a young Randy Moss, only a little slower. He has Randy's length and the ability to make the contested catch. Maybe a bigger Anquan Boldin would be a better comparison. A step down from Randy Moss perhaps, but everyone will be happy if he turns out that good.

Boyce reminds me of a young Steve Smith only without the experience. Smith is another short WR, but don't forget Boyce is 205 lbs. He's physical and thick like Smith and has blazing down field speed. Boyce might get his first action in the slot, but I think it would be a mistake to overlook his long term strengths as an outside threat as well

It would be quite ironic if after all his failures with rookie WR's the last decade, BB winds up being 3 for 3 this year. :eek:

BOTTOM LINE: Nothing we saw last night was definitive one way or the other, BUT in the great scheme of things......so far, so good.

Last edited by a moderator:
while this post may be a little OT, I don't think it merits another thread.

I never believed all the preseason hype about all those supposedly super powerful NFC clubs.

After one week the air is deflating from a lot of that preseason hype. You can hear the air escaping from the Falcons, 49ers, Packers, Skins, and Cowboys balloons.

People were anointing a team that only had one starter dinged for a single game, last season, an enormous anomaly, and is playing a QB who has all off 6 games of experience. Ditto for the Skins.

He is also a practitioner of the Pistol Read that is already killing RG III in less than half a season.

The Falcons let Abraham go, and I wonder if they have replaced him. They don't seem very deep anywhere and they laid an egg in their first preseason game. Now they have OL problems, too. But not as bad as the Packers did, getting shut out by Palmer's not so lowly Cards.

The Seachickens QB is a re-incarnation of Francis Tarkenton, and NOT a Read "kill me!" running QB, so he may be around longer, but they don't look any stronger than last season, when they surprised a few clubs.. Percy Harvin will wave from his traction bed.

Ditto for the Skins and hobbling RG III.

As for the Cowpokes, they lost to the lowly Raiders. Nuff said.

This OL might be the best of the BB era. However, they played a team transitioning to a 3-4 and had several square pegs in round holes. Also at this point in the preseason with the new collective bargaining rules about contact in practice the defenses look to be far behind the offenses. The tackling was atrocious.

6. I didn't hear Chandler Jones name mentioned much, so I was concerned about his play. It was comforting to hear from AZ that he showed the flashes that keep hope alive that he'll have the "big year" we all hope.

I watched Jones specifically during the game and he was doing a lot more than his numbers suggest.

First, he was the one who caused the Foles fumble and should have been credited with a half sack and forced fumble (although Kelly deserves most of the credit for the sack part).

Second, he spent most of his time on the field going up against a mobile left handed QB. So he automatically went from the weak side to the strong side (where it is typically harder to get sacks). And even though Vick is a lefty, he likes to scramble right a lot.

Jones was getting doubled teamed a lot and even triple teamed once and still winning the point of attack.

It is tough because it was such a small body of work, but I thought he actually played fairly well considering.

You lost me at "Right from the start I have to admit I did not see the first half of the game."

Reiss has not compiled defensive snaps, so it is difficult to discuss Chandler Jones... he started, but not sure how long he actually played.

You lost me at "Right from the start I have to admit I did not see the first half of the game."

He did listen to the game at a Holiday Inn Express :)

....and I'll have to find the strength to live with that.:rolleyes: ;)

Reiss has not compiled defensive snaps, so it is difficult to discuss Chandler Jones... he started, but not sure how long he actually played.

didn't you watch?

1 - don't read too much into one play, and a broken one at that....comparing him to other RB's from other eras is pointless......he showed less hesitation than ridley

3 - The pats will likely keep 5 RB's....if not, then it comes down to Bolden and Blount....as for TE, it depends on gonk's progress, but ballard and sudfeld seem to be locks, with fells expendable the moment gronk is back...if hooman excels at H-back, then he may have a spot

6 - he was active.....over pursued on a couple of angles......not a concern (well except for the pats pass rush as a whole)

BOTTOM LINE: the defensive starters didn't show anything......keeping fingers crossed

Here's a picture where Jones has an assist on the Kelly sack and Jones was responsible for the strip of the ball (although Kelly got credit for it even though Kelly was around his waist).

bos_u_foles_kh_800_200.jpg

Dobson reminds me of a young Randy Moss, only a little slower. He has Randy's length and the ability to make the contested catch. Maybe a bigger Anquan Boldin would be a better comparison. A step down from Randy Moss perhaps, but everyone will be happy if he turns out that good.

Let's not go comparing Dobson to probably the second greatest receiver in the history of the NFL, even qualifying it. Boldin is also a bad comparison. Boldin's always been known as a very physical, strong receiver. Dobson's knock is that he's not beating the jam and he's getting outmuscled, and we saw that in the first preseason game. He reminds me of Sidney Rice from his toolset, and I'm hopeful that he'll be like Sidney Rice if Rice hadn't seen his career derailed by injury after that explosive 2009.

Right now, he looks like the least ready of the three rookie receivers, though it's early and he still has a ton of promise.

Let's not go comparing Dobson to probably the second greatest receiver in the history of the NFL, even qualifying it. Boldin is also a bad comparison. Boldin's always been known as a very physical, strong receiver. Dobson's knock is that he's not beating the jam and he's getting outmuscled, and we saw that in the first preseason game. He reminds me of Sidney Rice from his toolset, and I'm hopeful that he'll be like Sidney Rice if Rice hadn't seen his career derailed by injury after that explosive 2009.

Right now, he looks like the least ready of the three rookie receivers, though it's early and he still has a ton of promise.
Thanks, that's the kind of input I was looking for. I know the Randy Moss thing was a real stretch, but that's what the media has been constantly saying, and I haven't had the chance to go to a practice myself

As for the Boldin comparison, I think he has the potential to become that kind of receiver. Getting off the LOS for an athlete on that level is a LEARNED skill. If he is diligent (and all the reports so far would lead us to believe he's a hard worker), over time he should get better on his releases. Getting off the LOS is a problem for all bigger WR's. Also with a full off season of strength training, he should get significantly stronger next season. So I'm not concerned about any problems he has getting of the LOS this season Its likely to be a fact of life for him this season, and he and the Pats will have to deal with it. However if it continues into next season, then I'd start to worry a bit.

As to the DL (first team), I got the impression over the radio that the DL was getting some good penetration and spent a lot of time in the Eagle back field when they were in there. Was that the reality as viewed on the TV? I'd like more input about people's opinions on the DL

A Smith was a good RB during the first SB season. Terrible in 2003.

didn't you watch?

Of course, but to not have the resources to note the number of snaps each defensive player participates in... they utilize a lot of formations and players.

Of course, but to not have the resources to note the number of snaps each defensive player participates in... they utilize a lot of formations and players.

He played 11 snaps (5 run, 6 pass) according to PFF.

Thanks, that's the kind of input I was looking for. I know the Randy Moss thing was a real stretch, but that's what the media has been constantly saying, and I haven't had the chance to go to a practice myself

As for the Boldin comparison, I think he has the potential to become that kind of receiver. Getting off the LOS for an athlete on that level is a LEARNED skill. If he is diligent (and all the reports so far would lead us to believe he's a hard worker), over time he should get better on his releases. Getting off the LOS is a problem for all bigger WR's. Also with a full off season of strength training, he should get significantly stronger next season. So I'm not concerned about any problems he has getting of the LOS this season Its likely to be a fact of life for him this season, and he and the Pats will have to deal with it. However if it continues into next season, then I'd start to worry a bit.

As to the DL (first team), I got the impression over the radio that the DL was getting some good penetration and spent a lot of time in the Eagle back field when they were in there. Was that the reality as viewed on the TV? I'd like more input about people's opinions on the DL

I'm sure that the starting interior combo of Vince and Tom is better than any the Pats have fielded since 2005, or so.

Reiss said that Grissom showed a lot, but as I did not review the tape looking for interior line play, I can't comment on the reserves, where the only questions are.

Does anyone want to add something to verify Reiss' observations?

I was very happy with Mallett. Very first incompletion Dobson should be sitting in The gap, which is where Mallett threw it. Dobson just wasn't where he should be. There was one he threw in to thin air late in the second quarter which I thought was a similar case....Mallett was anticipating his WR being there. Add that'll Dobson's drop and his stats look a whole lot better than they already do.

Big difference? His mechanics are clearly more polished and he's gradually improving on the speed he processes his decisions. Not only that but he wasn't making inadvisable throws like he has done in the past.

Was impressed with his throw on the run too. Great placement. Nice athleticism.

I was very happy with Mallett. Very first incompletion Dobson should be sitting in The gap, which is where Mallett threw it. Dobson just wasn't where he should be. There was one he threw in to thin air late in the second quarter which I thought was a similar case....Mallett was anticipating his WR being there. Add that'll Dobson's drop and his stats look a whole lot better than they already do.

Big difference? His mechanics are clearly more polished and he's gradually improving on the speed he processes his decisions. Not only that but he wasn't making inadvisable throws like he has done in the past.

Was impressed with his throw on the run too. Great placement. Nice athleticism.

It's nice to see someone else besides myself, apply real analysis and scouting, of Mallett's progress or lack of it. (Where oh where are you self-styled, super Draftnik scouts?)

If that analysis had been applied to Matt Cassell, it would NOT HAVE BEEN as stunning when Belichick kept him; dumped Tomczyk(sp?), and then what Cassell could and did accomplish subsequently.:snob:

I tire of snide, smarmy sayings used to mask the reality that there was little the author had to say, on the worth or progress on backup QBs. ;)

Once again, I ask if anyone can support or deride Reiss' approval of reserve DT Grissom, or the play of any other reserve DT.

Right now it appears If I were Belichick I would PUP Armstead, keep three Wilfork, Kelly and Forston, cross my fingers, and hope for mid-season augmentation.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back