PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts – the “so it begins” edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It will be a long wait for tonight's game. Here are some random thoughts that I hope will help you get through the day. So in no particular order, let us begin.

1.I read PFT daily. I know Florio is a hater and Steeler toady, but it fills my need for a quick fix of NFL news. I especially like his daily “one liners”, which gives links to a single story for every team in the league. But I also know that pretty much every day I will find a piece that will piss me off, and usually its written by Florio himself.

Recently he tried to make a big deal of Josh McDaniels' statement that he won't take the Browns job. He ran with the rumor that it was because McDaniels found out he wasn't the front runner and backed out before he could be rejected. Even when reports surfaced that this wasn't true, he continued to report it as fact and when it comes up now, and throws in a dig about how it will hurt McDaniels' chances to be a HC in the future.

Then there was his piece on naming Ron Rivera PFT's coach of the year. I won't comment on Rivera, who had a great year after a bad start. But after the piece he offered a poll of 8 other HC's he thought were worthy. Stunningly Bill Bellick wasn't one of them. Over 100 people commented and about half were surprised he left BB off the list. But that's Florio. He's from Morgantown WV, and that's Steeler country, and Florio is as much a Steeler toady as I am a Pats one. He still hasn't forgiven the Pats for all the times they knocked them out of the playoffs AT Heinz. When I called him out on his omission, and wondered sarcastically why he left Tomlin off the list, he promptly deleted my comment. It wasn't the first time. :rolleyes:

Understand I really admire Florio. I've been following his “rumor mill” since I stumbled across it over 10 years ago. I really admire what he's done with it. He wasn't any different than most of us, a rabid football fan who just happened to know a few agents he had met in his career as a lawyer. They occasionally gave him some tips. He took that info and turned it into what was nothing more than a fan blog and ran with it. After a few years he started getting some sponsors and a made a few bucks off it. Eventually NBC bought it and the rest is history. He gets millions of hits daily. He uses around 8 different reporters for content, has a daily TV gig, and he's become a regular “mediot expert” on TV. In other words he did what most of us wished we had done....and never did. That's to be admired.

On the other hand, he's a undeniable Pats hater and Steeler apologist. Who never misses a chance to throw a dig against the Pats. So on those grounds is easy to hate. And if that's not enough to hate him, did I mention he was a lawyer? ;)

2.Looking at the Colts game:

a. OFFENSE - The question is where is it going to come from. Common wisdom is that we will power run the crap out of them. Their LB's are small but fast, our OL is great at power blocking. So, given our recent success with the run game, it only makes sense that we just run the ball down their throats. That's the good news.

The bad news is that ANY running attack can be neutralized on the NFL level. Take for example in 2006 the Colts ranked 32nd in rushing defense during the regular season, dead last. Yet in the playoffs gave up only 82 ypg over 4 games one the way to Peyton's only Lombardi. That was 90 yards less per game than they gave up in the regular season. In fact the Colts who ranked 20th in total D that year, ranked FIRST during their superbowl run. BTW- it still rankles me that Peyton gets so much credit for that win, when in fact, with the exception of the AFCCG, it was the defense who literally carried a sub par Peyton Manning to his lone trophy.

That should be sobering news to those who are counting on the Pats simply running the ball to victory. I believe it won't be as easy as we think. These are NFL caliber players, and competent coaches who know that we are going to be limited in the passing game. We don't have a Dwayne Bowe to stretch the field, We DON'T have a TE to threaten the seams, and if we are going to be effective running the ball, it will be against 8 and 9 man fronts. That's not going to be easy since BOTH Bethea and Landry are excellent in the run game.

Edelman, Amendola, and Vareen will be our 3 biggest passing threats. All are good receivers, but NONE of them are physical types who can outmuscle big DB's like Vonte Davis at the LOS. I see the Colts playing 4-5 men underneath in press coverage, with a 2-3 deep in zone. That would effectively make our quick throws to our wide outs and screen passing game ineffective. It will also put a lot bodies close to the LOS vs the run. It would certainly not be the only coverage we see, but some version of it should be the one we see most.

Look for Amendola and Edelman to be doubled every play in some way. They will take Thomkins out of the game by manning him with Vonte Davis, and using the double teams on Julian and DA to make it hard for Brady to get rid of the ball quickly. They will want to force him to go to his 3rd and 4th options. If you remember this is similar to the basic strategy the Jets used in 2010 to great effect in the Pats 2nd worst loss of this century.

In that game the Jets often covered with 8. Doubled Gronk and Welker and had Revis simply take Branch completely out of the game. IIRC Hernandez had a decent game, but not enough to overcome the other coverage. Now without a single TE threat, (let alone 2) this strategy might work even better. :eek:

Well the good news is that since I'm aware of this, so is Josh and Bill. So I'll be interested to see how they attack it. Of course the play action passing game (PAP) will be critical. Also I see us running wide because, if the Colts play a lot of man, DB's will be run off the LOS for 5 yds at least, before they realize its a run, thus there should be a lot of soft corners to run around.

Other things to look for offensively

a. KC had a lot of success throwing short to their RB's. I think its imperative that we involve the RB's and TE's with outs and delays underneath. We need to take those short gains, because making the TE's something to be concerned with, will open up a lot for the rest of the receivers. Brady can't be stubborn and ignore easy completions to guys open short, in order to hit the big play. Not havng Dobson or Gronk should make Brady a lot less stubborn tomorrow night.

b. If the Pats have problems running the ball early, I wouldn't be surprised to see us try and spread those guys out a bit. Bunch formations and 3 wide formations not only will create more open space for the receivers, but thin out the defenders vs the run.

c. I'm hoping that short crossing pattern over the middle, where the WR breaks it to the seam/post when the S jumps it, will be used more. We really need to threaten the deep ball and have some success if we hope to keep the Colts from effectively strangling the offense by squeezing the attack area, very similar to what we did to Manning in the comeback.

d. On the plus side, I really think we can be effective in protecting Brady and neutralize Robert Mathis A lot of his success has come in the dome where he has a huge advantage because of the turf and home crowd. He loses that here and the rain won't help either. Besides the Pats have been very successful over the years in protecting Brady against some of the best outside rushers in the league. No doubt Mathis will have his moments of hits, hurries, and maybe even a sack, but I don't see them happening enough, so if Brady wants to stretch the field with some deeper patterns, I'm confident he'll have the time most of the time.

e. This is cliché, but in the end 2 factors will decide this game. Red Zone effectiveness, and ball security. For the offense, they need to score TD's, not FG's and NOT turn the ball over. Once will be OK, twice unacceptable. Thank you, I will accept the "keen sense of the obvious" award now. ;)

3.Defense -

a. We are ranked 29th in the league in run D, and we just lost our best run LB. That's not exactly the position you want to be in, even though the Colts don't pose an obvious threat. Despite their lack of success, neither Brown or Richardson lack talent. So against our less than stout run D, it doesn't take much imagination to think that they could have a measure of success against us, especially given the attention both Hilton and Luck are going to receive.

b. And while I'm not worried that much about the Colts rush, I AM worried a great deal about ours. Given the fact that everyone will be more worried about losing their lane discipline than getting by their man, I don't see how our 4 man rush can get much done. Stunts and blitzes are going to be the way we get pressure, and we tend to be very conservative with the use of both.

c.There was a great discussion on how the Pats will defend the Colts pass game and who will cover who will cover Hilton. Lots of good thoughts. Lots of reasonable choices. As the week's gone by here is what I ended up thinking.

Hilton – Even though he's just the kind of guy who is often kryptonite to Talib. I believe you put your best against their best. Clearly he's a guy you want to double and you can do it 2 ways. You can put Talib in press coverage shutting down the slant by position and allowing only outside releases. You let Talib beat him up on the LOS and run with him from the underneath position, forcing Luck to throw OVER the taller defender to the shorter receiver, while having a S over the top. That's a really tough, low percentage throw, that has just as much chance of a TO as it does a completion.

Fleener – I think he is being over rated this week. He's a good receiving TE, but he's not close to a Gronk or even Hernandez. I'd cover him with Collins/Fletcher underneath, with a S over the top in the seam. And when he's flexed wide, I'd do the same with only a CB over the top.

Brazile – I like this match up for us with Dennard, and if he's not healthy, Ryan.

Rogers – This actually is the one I'm most worried about after Hilton. He has the size and speed that can stretch a field, even though you wouldn't consider him a main threat based on his limited production. I'm sure BB has emphasized over and over to the DB's about not being beat deep, so this might be taken care of by proxy. Just don't be upset when 15 yd curls and crosses are completed underneath those S's who are so concernprotecting against the big one.

d.Ideally I'd like to have Arrington inside. He's our best DB blitzer and slot cover man, and we will need to take some shots with him.

e. Other ways we can pressure Luck will be to do some attacking from the inside in order to run him into those lane keeping DE's. I would like to see the Pats keep the LB's on the LOS in the A gaps, even though most of time they will drop in coverage. That threat is a real one and could allow the DL to grab an edge, if the get a blown blocking scheme.

f. I suspect that we are going to be in nickel a lot, and force the Colts to try and run against us, very similar to what we did against Denver, only I hope the run D results will be a little better. The Colts averaged 109 ypc rushing 20th and I'm sure a 20-30 yds of that per game was due to Luck scrambles/runs. I'd be comfortable allowing up to 120 yds to the Colt RB's if we can stay in a nickel most of the game.

g. Just like on offense, TO's are going to be key to the D. One TO is mandatory, 2 or more will be icing on the cake. If you look back to those historically bad Pats D's of recent years who somehow managed to help us get deep into the playoffs, the key element was they excelled at creating TO's. And if you look back at games that the Pats lost or struggled in this year, those were the games the defense DIDN'T create any TO's. Luck is going to give a couple of TO opportunities, we just can't afford to miss them.

h. It will be import for Chandler Jones NOT to run by the QB in his rush. I will be watching this closely.

4.Special teams – not to be overlooked. In the playoffs when the already thin margin of victory shrinks further still, winning the ST's battle is one way to create a gap in your favor or make up for any short comings on offense or defense. This becomes even more critical in a bad weather game, which we will likely have. Our kicking game has been outstanding most of the year. The Ghost and Allen have done great jobs individually. The coverage teams have been pretty good as well. We saw how 2 long KO runbacks could effect a game, we will need some more of that Saturday night. It will be interesting to see if BB runs Blount back there. I think he should. He should get enough rest splitting snaps and hits with Ridley and Vareen.

BTW- did anyone else catch BB's breakdown of both KO returns on Patriots all access last week. It was beautiful to see how well the blocking formed. Ebner threw one key block and Slater another. I also found it interesting on how detailed all the “rules” were. Like when Slater leads up through the hole he's supposed to take the guy on the left, even though a guy on the right looked to be the most dangerous defender.

5.Sorry if this is gloomier than usual. They all will be as we go forward, I think. I expect to win this game, and will be disappointed if we don't. But the fact is we are going to have to overcome some very tough match ups, so it won't be easy. Losing Spikes didn't help, and the fact that even if they play, Thompkins, Dennard, and several others are likely to be at less than 90%. So losing is a distinct possibility, and those simply dismissing the Colts out of hand are either wildly optimistic, or just trying to stir the pot (Shaunnesy)

If I didn't know any better I think some adgendas are being created. If the Pats win, then they have correctly predicted the outcome, and if they lose, they can attack the team for not meeting “their” expectations. Either way they get great story lines, and you know that's all THEY care about.

OK, time to cut this off. If I go to 3 pages I risk Peter King coming after me for some kind of patent infringement. ;) Comments of course are more than welcome, they are needed so we have something to kill the time between now and game time.

He's from Morgantown WV, and that's Steeler country, and Florio is as much a Steeler toady as I am a Pats one. He still hasn't forgiven the Pats for all the times they knocked them out of the playoffs AT Heinz.

I lived in Morgantown for about ten years. I can confirm.. those people hate the Patriots with a little jealousy mixed in.

PFT is the perfect example of a 'click baiting' website. It isn't informative because you can never know if the @$$holes are making a story up. They cut quotes so they can write a false article taking an entire interview out of context. They will report something, have it found to be false, but continue using the bad info without shame. Florio is a super douche as well. I hate that football fans made him famous.

My idle thoughts have to do exclusively with offense as I have faith in BB/Patricia to somehow slow this team down...

The receiving corps is troubling.... Edelman, Amendola, Collie, maybe Thompkins, Hoo Man and Vereen do well in this O, but not sure if they are adequate enough on the big stage...

Our saving grace is the weather and ability to run the ball lately, with our stable of backs we can provide different looks and different skill sets...

And of course there is the intelligence and experience of #12... we will win this game, but there will be some bitten fingernails...

Understand I really admire Florio. I've been following his “rumor mill” since I stumbled across it over 10 years ago.
There are definitely other palces you can get news hits on the Patriots, but if you are stuck on it, guess then it really doesn't hurt your credibility...much :p

I really admire what he's done with it. He wasn't any different than most of us, a rabid football fan who just happened to know a few agents he had met in his career as a lawyer. They occasionally gave him some tips. He took that info and turned it into what was nothing more than a fan blog and ran with it. After a few years he started getting some sponsors and a made a few bucks off it. Eventually NBC bought it and the rest is history. He gets millions of hits daily. He uses around 8 different reporters for content, has a daily TV gig, and he's become a regular “mediot expert” on TV. In other words he did what most of us wished we had done....and never did. That's to be admired.
I can respect that, maybe not him, but the story being part of the "american dream".

On the other hand, he's a undeniable Pats hater and Steeler apologist. Who never misses a chance to throw a dig against the Pats. So on those grounds is easy to hate. And if that's not enough to hate him, did I mention he was a lawyer? ;)
I heard a rumor that he bought Merril Hoge's used underwear and wears it to write his juiciest-vitriol anti-patriot articles. Plus, he doesn't wash it in case the powers become diminished.

now I can actually read the rest.

a. KC had a lot of success throwing short to their RB's. I think its imperative that we involve the RB's and TE's with outs and delays underneath. We need to take those short gains, because making the TE's something to be concerned with, will open up a lot for the rest of the receivers. Brady can't be stubborn and ignore easy completions to guys open short, in order to hit the big play. Not havng Dobson or Gronk should make Brady a lot less stubborn tomorrow night.
Not that he'd be featured, but Devlin made some nice grabs/routes towards the middle/later part of the season. It's not wholly expected and you do expect a run when you see him in there. it might be enough to help soften up coverage and Edleman/Amendola are capable of attacking intermediate routes. Obviosuly we aren't loaded with talent in this area and receiver strengths tend to be similar rather than complementary. I don't expect much from Thompkins so anything from him is a positive.

if the o-line can give him some time, Brady might be able to pull the pump fake back out. He doesn't really seem to use this trick too often (which probably makes it more effective when he does). Still, not going to be a staple, but there's enough subtle tweaks to mentally disrupt our (perceived) tendencies?

As a side note, I hope BB makes his decision to let Butler walk look like a good decision (nothing personal against Butler, just more for a good offensive plan).

3.Defense -

If I didn't know any better I think some adgendas are being created. If the Pats win, then they have correctly predicted the outcome, and if they lose, they can attack the team for not meeting “their” expectations. Either way they get great story lines, and you know that's all THEY care about.

This. Square in the black. New England has been a magnet for all sorts of non-reality based folks since The Belichick Era began. There are an awful lot of professional writers as well as fans with agendas who refuse to let facts get in the way of their storyline. Florio is, of course, the prime example of this, but there are plenty just like him here on this board, especially come game day. :D

Like you, I believe that New England wins this game, even though the Colts are a good team and one not to be taken lightly.

Nice work as usual, brother. It's always a pleasure to read your posts.

Florio lives in Steeler country but he's a Vikings fan.

As for PFT, one time Florio ended one of his usual Patriot-hater-trolling articles by saying something like "normally this story wouldn't be news but I posted it because it's the Patriots" or something like that. That's when I stopped taking him seriously.

I think it's interesting that when I've tried to respond to the Pats hater drool in the comments section my post usually never makes it to the board. Hmmm...

I think it's interesting that when I've tried to respond to the Pats hater drool in the comments section my post usually never makes it to the board. Hmmm...
sounds like something we as pats fans can take up on. Create a message (same/similar message) an have hundreds of posters post it. It'd keep the admins busy and I'm sure he'd love to be "attacked" by Patriot fans to just show how classless we really are...which would be funny in that oxymoronic sort of way. as long as it comes off as funny-with serious messages it might be well received.

....and if we are going to be effective running the ball, it will be against 8 and 9 man fronts. That's not going to be easy since BOTH Bethea and Landry are excellent in the run game......

Look for Amendola and Edelman to be doubled every play in some way. They will take Thomkins out of the game by manning him with Vonte Davis, and using the double teams on Julian and DA to make it hard for Brady to get rid of the ball quickly......

Great read as usual Ken, but how do you put 9 in the box and double 2 receivers??:confused:

The bad news is that ANY running attack can be neutralized on the NFL level. Take for example in 2006 the Colts ranked 32nd in rushing defense during the regular season, dead last. Yet in the playoffs gave up only 82 ypg over 4 games one the way to Peyton's only Lombardi. That was 90 yards less per game than they gave up in the regular season. In fact the Colts who ranked 20th in total D that year, ranked FIRST during their superbowl run. BTW- it still rankles me that Peyton gets so much credit for that win, when in fact, with the exception of the AFCCG, it was the defense who literally carried a sub par Peyton Manning to his lone trophy.
If i recall correctly Bob Sanders came back from injury just before the playoffs, he was the key to stopping the run. After he returned is when the colts shut the run down.

Manning getting the MVP of the SB was a travesty, his QB rating for the game was 40

Excellent analysis, Ken! Better than everything I've read so far by the mass media.

DEFENSE
I agree that we will be in nickel all night. Nothing else makes much sense.

OFFENSE
Where will it come from is a reasonable question. The test will be Amendola. Vereen and Edelman against Indy's linebackers. As you indicated, the run will be taken away, at least the inside runs. We cannot understate how much the lack of a downfield game hurts us. At best we have Thompkins going deep and drawing one defender.

DEFENSE
I agree that we will be in nickel all night. Nothing else makes much sense.

OFFENSE
Where will it come from is a reasonable question. The test will be Amendola. Vereen and Edelman against Indy's linebackers. As you indicated, the run will be taken away, at least the inside runs. We cannot understate how much the lack of a downfield game hurts us. At best we have Thompkins going deep and drawing one defender.

colts LB's are even smaller than the bills and their interior DL is weaker, also........not sure the colts can do anything about blount as their rush defense is pretty weak...if the colts key on the inside rrun, then the short perimeter will be wide open

As Ken said, a team can always stop/diminish an inside running attack if they choose to.

colts LB's are even smaller than the bills and their interior DL is weaker, also........not sure the colts can do anything about blount as their rush defense is pretty weak...if the colts key on the inside rrun, then the short perimeter will be wide open

I am going out mattress shopping..which I am hoping will pass some of the time today.

Ken.....I was surprised to find no reference to the effect of weather tonight.

High winds will wreak havoc on both teams trying to pass the ball.

Wet conditions will certainly lead to a few fumbles.

A dome team simply cannot be as experienced to deal as we are.p

Kicking game & field position will be crucial to control.

I love having BB on our side with all those in game decisions, it's a huge advantage for us.

To the OP - you lost me with the gratuitous lawyer-bashing.

It's important to remember that even though the Colts did man up in the playoffs against the run in 06, when they were 32nd against the run. But they got Bob Sanders back from injury right in time for the playoff run, and at that time Sanders was arguably the best roll down, run stuffing safety in the league.

Bob Sanders isn't walking through that door, folks. Antoine Bethea can play, but he's a deep third guy. LaRon Landry is walking through that door, and I'd bet Blount and Ridley walk all over him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back