PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts – a reflective edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Mankins being here for 2014 would have prevented that. Jones and Hightower are signed through 2016.

So, let Revis go?

If Solder keeps playing like a turnstile this season, you are willing to pay him over $7 million next season?

I don't make panic decisions, nor do I make any decisions for the team.

So, let Revis go?
How would Mankins being on the team in 2014 prevent us from retaining Revis? It does not at all, and you know what when we have bums like Amendola earning $5.7M per year. I think it is hilarious when posters want to talk about how we needed the money to keep Revis. Give me a break with the cap space BS that is such spin.

Yes. They backed up a f***ing Brinks Truck for him, to quote.

I remember that, but I wasn't sure with how the contract was structured--that's what I'm meaning to say.

In other words, the fact that he was here for 3 years before being cut likely allowed us to avoid anything like the dead cap hit that would've occurred in 2007, 2008, or 2009 (obviously).

That said, I still think that 4th year was significant enough to be somewhat hefty, although I don't really remember the specifics.
---------

As far as him making others worse around him, we'll have to agree to respectfully disagree a bit on that, at least in the first 2 years anyway. He probably did make everyone worse around him in '09 though.

2007---played in every game

6.5 sacks

8 passes defended

2 forced fumbles

1 INT

1 Touchdown return

2008---(through his injury in 9 games)

5 sacks

On pace for the most sacks in his career until the injury

We'll obviously never know, but Thomas may have had an even better year than '07 had it not
been for the injury

2009---THE DOWNFALL

only 3 sacks

began to show signs of a locker room cancer

In the end, I think what you say is definitely still correct, since he wasn't worth the money---but I think things weren't quite as bad as some seem to remember it. It's probably just a matter of seeing things through a bit of a different lens/different opinion, that's all. It definitely is true that he didn't pan out and wasn't worth the money, so that's likely all that matters.

How would Mankins being on the team in 2014 prevent us from retaining Revis? It does not at all, and you know what when we have bums like Amendola earning $5.7M per year. I think it is hilarious when posters want to talk about how we needed the money to keep Revis. Give me a break with the cap space BS that is such spin.

With all of the free agents coming up in March, most notably McCourty and Revis--it's possible that Belichick did want to clear up some salary cap space to try and help retain them, yes.

After all, even with the trading of Mankins, we currenly only have around 7 million dollars (or so) of available space, according to the last projection that I saw from Miguel about 10 days ago.

That 7 million dollars, along with the expected increase for next year, goes fairly quickly, especially if we want to keep them both. The idea of being small to moderate players in the free agent market is always something that is explored as well. We also have Gostkowski, Vereen, Ridley, etc due in March too.

In the end, I still don't care for the timing of the Mankins trade. That's what I have a difficult time with. In the end though, it's likely to benefit us due to the cap savings, the high 4th rounder, and the player in Wright.

danny-amendola-football-headshot-photo.jpg
How would Mankins being on the team in 2014 prevent us from retaining Revis? It does not at all, and you know what when we have bums like Amendola earning $5.7M per year.

With all of the free agents coming up in March, most notably McCourty and Revis--it's possible that Belichick did want to clear up some salary cap space to try and help retain them, yes.

After all, even with the trading of Mankins, we currenly only have around 7 million dollars (or so) of available space, according to the last projection that I saw from Miguel about 10 days ago.

That 7 million dollars, along with the expected increase for next year, goes fairly quickly, especially if we want to keep them both. The idea of being small to moderate players in the free agent market is always something that is explored as well. We also have Gostkowski, Vereen, Ridley, etc due in March too.

In the end, I still don't care for the timing of the Mankins trade. That's what I have a difficult time with. In the end though, it's likely to benefit us due to the cap savings, the high 4th rounder, and the player in Wright.
I don't care if they put walk ons at RB/WR out there on O as long as the impact players on D (including Revis are extended) and the Patriots continue to improve both the OL & DL.

Looks like you used one of those apps that make your regular picture appear fat. It looks like Amendola's head is coming to eat us all.

Annoying enough to delete? Just trying to stimulate some great Amendola talk. I fear quota has not been met this week.

Jordan Devey is the villain of the week. Any updated photos for Jordan Devey? My dartboard needs a "face" change.

I wouldn't use that one. He's managed to avoid even large defensive linemen aimed at him, so what are your chances of getting him with a dart?

Honestly, in my opinion everything on this team should come second to the protection of Tom Brady. If we cannot protect Brady nothing else matters.

Honestly, in my opinion everything on this team should come second to the protection of Tom Brady. If we cannot protect Brady nothing else matters.

Agreed, which is why I have a problem with the specific timing of the Mankins move.

Taking that into account, it certainly has the potential to pay off in the long run. Apparently, Belichick felt as though he could replace the loss to some degree without too much fallback. To this point, he's been wrong.

If the OL can improve however, it's not only a good move for the future, but a good move now as well. Of course that is a big "if," but all we can do is hope for the best.

You should note that Revis is presently contracted to receive $20M in 2015. If Revis stays, his cap number would be reduced.

The mystery for me is the valuation of Cannon and Devey as starting OG's.

So, let Revis go?

Why? The team could have kept Mankins for 2014, cut ties with him early in the offseason, and still have negotiated a long term deal with Revis. In what fantasy land does Mankins need to be traded a year too early in order to sign Revis long term?

Why? The team could have kept Mankins for 2014, cut ties with him early in the offseason, and still have negotiated a long term deal with Revis. In what fantasy land does Mankins need to be traded a year too early in order to sign Revis long term?

Maybe it was a year early, maybe not. When it comes to reading expiration dates (or profit/loss predictions) they have a pretty good record.

Maybe it was a year early, maybe not. When it comes to reading expiration dates (or profit/loss predictions) they have a pretty good record.

Your appeal to authority has been noted.

Amendola is amazing, and not because of what he does on the football field, but because he was able to convince a team to pay him $5.7M per season. That is all I can really offer you on Amendola today, I really have very little interest in talking about him anymore. His play does the talking for me now. I only referenced him to highlight that Mankins being cut for needed cap space is a falsely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents