PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ideal time for ideal gas law proof

So why not do a demonstration project? Do exactly what Indy did, which was approved by the NFL, since they didn't get reprimanded or fined for it. But do it with cameras and a reporter, in full view, then post it on social media during the third quarter of the game. Show that the Bills are purposely underinflating the footballs to get a passing advantage in the cold weather, because they can't beat the Pats in a game dominated by the run.

That Seattle Minnesota playoff game a few years back in sub zero weather would have been the ideal game to prove the hypothesis but no media dare cross the NFL or show some guts.......

I remember there being a report or something that came out suggesting the balls in that game got down to like 8 PSI

Had to fill my tires this morning. Supposed to be 35psi. They were all between 24-28psi after a 10 degree night.
I know what you are saying but once the temp goes back up the tires will inflate again. They don't lose air, it's a pressure thing.

Kravitz tweet was at 12:55 AM. Great timing when you're on a high from the game and trying to sleep...

That Seattle Minnesota playoff game a few years back in sub zero weather would have been the ideal game to prove the hypothesis but no media dare cross the NFL or show some guts.......
That was minus 6 at kickoff with minus 25 windchill.

The game in Buffalo will be cold but it shouldn't be anything like that. Maybe something like the Pats Chiefs AFCCG in Arrowhead.

I always felt like they nailed Brady so hard partially out of frustration that they couldn’t get Belichick on this at all.

That's kinda what I said, the knifes have been out for along time against BB.. so getting #12 was the next best thing.

That was minus 6 at kickoff with minus 25 windchill.

The game in Buffalo will be cold but it shouldn't be anything like that. Maybe something like the Pats Chiefs AFCCG in Arrowhead.

Latest forecast I saw was -5 windchill.

Man, I remember Deflategate like yesterday. I was in a club and my celphone started vibrating bc of the amount of tweets. Already drunk, it kinda pissed me off so much that I couldnt enjoy the night anymore lol

Man, what a slap in the face... I was younger than 20 then iirc. Kinda think this was the thing that made finally understand that rules/facts/logic only matter if the whoever has power agrees with you, almost absolutely.

Look how far we've come lol
Things like Deflategate make you realize you really can't assume anything the media tells you is honest and truthful.

The ideal gas law only works in degrees Kelvin. This has significant deflategate implications.

The ideal gas law is essentially a proportional relationship. If we assume volume to be constant, a change in temperature should produce a proportional corresponding change in pressure. If we are to measure in degrees Fahrenheit, a temperature drop from 70 degrees to 50 should result in a 28% drop in pressure. Using Celsius units, the temperature drop is 21 degrees to 10, which would result in more than a 50% decrease in pressure.

The problem is, Celsius and Fahrenheit scales are not linear. They both define zero at an arbitrary point at which there is still heat energy. The Kelvin scale defines zero as absolute zero. On this scale, the true temperature drop from pregame to halftime is about 294 degrees Kelvin to 283 degrees Kelvin. This should correspond to a pressure drop of only 3% - 4%.

This should make intuitive sense when you think about it. Tomorrow night's game is going to be played in near-zero or sub-zero temperatures. If a balmy 50 degree game caused balls to deflate so much, how flat would three balls be when the temperature is 50 degrees lower? Would the balls not be inverted if the temperature dips below zero, since this should hypothetically result in "negative pressure.

Unfortunately, the ideal gas law justifies the thinking that there was intent to deflate the footballs. That's just how the math works out.

Now, what the ideal gas law does not explain is this...both Clete Blakeman and Dyrol Prioleau took independent pressure measurements of the footballs during that game. For each of the 11 Patriots footballs measured, Blakeman's measure was significantly lower than Prioleau's. However for the (only) 4 Colts footballs measured, Blakeman found 3 of the balls to be more inflated than Prioleau.

So, how is it that Blakeman's measurements, compared with Prioleau's, were always lower when measuring Patriots balls, yet simultaneously higher when measuring Colts balls? I offer two simple measurements. Either (a), Blakeman is corrupt, or has it out for the Patriots organization, an easy emotional conclusion to reach given his history with this franchise, or (b), Blakeman is a freaking moron who does not know how to operate a pressure gauge.

There is no third explanation. The truth depends on your belief in Hanlon's Razor.

It would be great to put a football in a kiosk outside Bills stadium with a pressure gauge in it and a camera showing the pressure gauge and thermometer. Inflate the ball to NFL standard at kickoff and see what the pressure is at halftime. Glass enclosed and camera monitored so it’s secure and tamper proof, but ventilated so the temperature is the same as outside. But the network would never embarrass the league by giving it airtime…

Things like Deflategate make you realize you really can't assume anything the media tells you is honest and truthful.
The media just reports stuff. Lies and fake news as well as anything else. The media is both soap operas and the evening news, why do you expect them to be the arbiter of truth?

Every time my wife tells me that the tire pressure is low after a cold night, I just tell her "I guess Brady paid us a visit this morning". Or when dumb NFL fans at work say their tire pressure dropped, I say "Brady got ya, did he?"

The whole thing was absurd...

So why not do a demonstration project? Do exactly what Indy did, which was approved by the NFL, since they didn't get reprimanded or fined for it. But do it with cameras and a reporter, in full view, then post it on social media during the third quarter of the game. Show that the Bills are purposely underinflating the footballs to get a passing advantage in the cold weather, because they can't beat the Pats in a game dominated by the run.
Let's measure the Gravitational Constant to make sure that's not being tampered with too.

I woke up this morning and realized that I had a small football outside in the kids toy bin so I went to get it. I took out my gauge and went to measure it but it snapped in 2 trying to put it in. It's -22F here this morning. I can squeeze the football like it's got nothing in it basically. The ball is now resting on top of my pellet stove and even as I write this it's much harder to squeeze. Now -22 overnight isn't the same as a football field but it would be interesting to inflate this thing to a control value in here at 68F and then put it outside for 2 4 6 hours at probably around -15F and see what happens. I have to find another gauge first though and I may have one in the shed.

This is obviously not scientific but it's interesting. I've attached pics below is 2 mins after I brought it in and the other is 4 mins on top of the pellet stove and then 2 mins rest. The ball is still cold. I have no idea how much this ball was inflated initially but if I find another gauge I will do a half ass experiment today with measurements and control temps for fun.

Attachments

• after.jpg
    after.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
I woke up this morning and realized that I had a small football outside in the kids toy bin so I went to get it. I took out my gauge and went to measure it but it snapped in 2 trying to put it in. It's -22F here this morning. I can squeeze the football like it's got nothing in it basically. The ball is now resting on top of my pellet stove and even as I write this it's much harder to squeeze. Now -22 overnight isn't the same as a football field but it would be interesting to inflate this thing to a control value in here at 68F and then put it outside for 2 4 6 hours at probably around -15F and see what happens. I have to find another gauge first though and I may have one in the shed.

This is obviously not scientific but it's interesting. I've attached pics below is 2 mins after I brought it in and the other is 4 mins on top of the pellet stove and then 2 mins rest. The ball is still cold. I have no idea how much this ball was inflated initially but if I find another gauge I will do a half ass experiment today with measurements and control temps for fun.

The most significant thing in your post is in red above. Wow!

According to current forecasts, temperatures could drop to 6 degrees by the time the game gets kicked off at 8:15 p.m. ET with a wind chill factor of -3.

Who cares about the ideal gas law.. These guys needs to protect the "Family Jewels" from getting frost bite comes the game tonight !!!!

The ideal gas law only works in degrees Kelvin. This has significant deflategate implications.

The ideal gas law is essentially a proportional relationship. If we assume volume to be constant, a change in temperature should produce a proportional corresponding change in pressure. If we are to measure in degrees Fahrenheit, a temperature drop from 70 degrees to 50 should result in a 28% drop in pressure. Using Celsius units, the temperature drop is 21 degrees to 10, which would result in more than a 50% decrease in pressure.

The problem is, Celsius and Fahrenheit scales are not linear. They both define zero at an arbitrary point at which there is still heat energy. The Kelvin scale defines zero as absolute zero. On this scale, the true temperature drop from pregame to halftime is about 294 degrees Kelvin to 283 degrees Kelvin. This should correspond to a pressure drop of only 3% - 4%.

This should make intuitive sense when you think about it. Tomorrow night's game is going to be played in near-zero or sub-zero temperatures. If a balmy 50 degree game caused balls to deflate so much, how flat would three balls be when the temperature is 50 degrees lower? Would the balls not be inverted if the temperature dips below zero, since this should hypothetically result in "negative pressure.

Unfortunately, the ideal gas law justifies the thinking that there was intent to deflate the footballs. That's just how the math works out.

Now, what the ideal gas law does not explain is this...both Clete Blakeman and Dyrol Prioleau took independent pressure measurements of the footballs during that game. For each of the 11 Patriots footballs measured, Blakeman's measure was significantly lower than Prioleau's. However for the (only) 4 Colts footballs measured, Blakeman found 3 of the balls to be more inflated than Prioleau.

So, how is it that Blakeman's measurements, compared with Prioleau's, were always lower when measuring Patriots balls, yet simultaneously higher when measuring Colts balls? I offer two simple measurements. Either (a), Blakeman is corrupt, or has it out for the Patriots organization, an easy emotional conclusion to reach given his history with this franchise, or (b), Blakeman is a freaking moron who does not know how to operate a pressure gauge.

There is no third explanation. The truth depends on your belief in Hanlon's Razor.
Sure there is a third : time and therefore warmup period is different between the pats-colts measurements for the two inspector Cluseaus.

What will I tell my childrennnnnnnnn???? Waaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

These threads are my time to remind everyone that Mark Brunei is a crying poooosay.

And **** Mort with a rusty screwdriver too.

Carry on.

View attachment 39819
That’s the look of a man that just trusted a fart in public.

I'm honored Tom still takes the time to fly up from Tampa to let the air out of my tires. He's pretty stealth, I've yet to catch him on a single camera.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back