PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ian R: Can rookie Sebastian Vollmer end the Matt Light Era at left tackle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt Light is probably one of the few LTs in the league who would be almost useless as a RT. RTs are generally much larger, and much more powerful, as are the defensive ends they face.

Light at RT would be like watching Light against Aaron Shobel every week.

Light usually does well against the bigger DE's in the league. Its the small quick de's he has trouble with.

Schobel is only 245-250, Freeney goes about 260. Mathis is about 245 as well.

To get the corner on Vollmer, Freeney will have to get very deep into the backfield.

What a sweet time to dial up a draw.

You will need both of those clowns, to try and stop Freeney and Mathis Sunday ! HA!HA!HA!

Laurence Maroney says keep coming, so does Moss and so does Welker.

Every player on this team has detractors on here, and proponents....... This place won't hesitate to even fault Ghost if he dares misses a FG. Hell Brady is the GOAT, and I remember more "body-language", and "he'll never be the same again" threads/posts then I care to remember.

I get what your saying, and you may be right that there are many Kazur detractors here. My point was that just cuz his name came, up it's no reason to pull out the "anti-Kazur crew" label.

I actually wouldn't dispute that. Which, situationally, might be called on regularly.

I agree with the general sentiment, but until last season, Kaczur was one of the lightning rods on this board with up there with Maroney and Watson. I was guilty of it too- I thought Kaczur sucked, right up until more informed posters than me and advanced statistics all uniformly said that he's a good RT. So I made a point of watching him more closely throughout last season, and I was surprised by how impressive he looked. I think the people who defend him get sick of the crowd that's still tied up in the anti-Kaczur sentiment, to the point that they sometimes react overly harshly to discussion re: replacing Kaczur.

That said, I'm not sure that Light would be an improvement over Kaczur. A couple months ago, some posters mentioned that, coming out of college, it was thought that Light could step in and immediately be an elite guard, with the speculation that he could be a Neal replacement, or even Mankins replacement if we fail to re-sign him. I can't say one way or the other if that's a viable/good idea, but it intrigues me more than the idea of replacing Kaczur, since guard is definitely more of a need in the intermediate and long term.

Last edited:
And Clinton Session will rip Maroney's head off, if he has the nerve to try to come up the middle !
Moss Can only run a fly pattern, and we will have him double covered, (He won't be a factor), and after Welker catch's those little 4 yard pass, he is going to get nailed !

Pretty sure you can't post on message boards until you turn 14. It's the law or something.

And Clinton Session will rip Maroney's head off, if he has the nerve to try to come up the middle !
Moss Can only run a fly pattern, and we will have him double covered, (He won't be a factor), and after Welker catch's those little 4 yard pass, he is going to get nailed !

So Polian finally got the rules committee to pass the rule that the Colts and only the Colts can have 14 men on defense on any given play?!?

Yes, all Welker does is catch those 4 yard passes and all he does is turn those 4 yard passes into 15 yard gains. Welker is very limited in the fact that every catch he gets he's gotta at least double the yards with YAC. I really hate that in him.

And yes, all Moss runs is fly patterns. Perfect example is when Moss caught that fly pattern over the middle in a hook pattern for a 72 yard TD last week. All Moss' patterns are fly patterns because he flies on every pattern he runs.

I hope the Colts defense is more up on the Pats' offense than you are.

Vollmer will eventually replace Light. Whether it's this year or next, I don't know. But I'd like to see him against the Colts before thinking about him as a fulltime LT this year.

To get the corner on Vollmer, Freeney will have to get very deep into the backfield.

Yup. He's going to have to commit to it, too. Tough to setup the spin when you have a guy with that kind of kickslide. Nevermind what Vollmer will do to Freeny in the directional stuff. Big man with TE feet. It's gonna be a long day for the tasmanian devil.

There's nothing like putting yourself up against a measuring stick to give yourself a true reflection of where you stand. This will be a great test for Seabass... one I look forward to with anticipation.

We've abused that with them in the past with Faulk.

I think that is one thing they'll look out for and practice for, this week.

I think we'll see more of the tackle coming in as an eligible receiver like we did this week against the Dolphins. Instead of Levoir it will be Matt Light or Vollmer. Belichick won't disrupt the line ... moving people around to get Vollmer in.

Like I've always maintained...

Light IS a very good left tackle.

But why overlook the possibility we may have found someone BETTER? Might as well try to find out!

There's no denying there are holes in Light's game that stops him from being an elite left tackle in this league.

1) I think that Light will start when he gets back. Vollmer is not the best option yet, but I would be fine if dnate disagree swiths my asssessment.
2) Vollmer will start next year at LT.
3) Kaczur is our now and future RT.
4) Light should get us a decent pick with one year left on his contract.
5) We have three fine OT's for next year in Vollmer, Kaczur and LeVoir. LeVoir was given an extension to allow for the exit of Light.

1) I think that Light will start when he gets back. Vollmer is not the best option yet, but I would be fine if dnate disagree swiths my asssessment.
5) We have three fine OT's for next year in Vollmer, Kaczur and LeVoir. LeVoir was given an extension to allow for the exit of Light.

Hey! What's Oakland's situation at LT? 2010 1st rounder? :)

Ian R: Can rookie Sebastian Vollmer end the Matt Light Era at left tackle? ]

No offense to Matt Light, but that's the general idea, isn't it?

Light will be 32 next year. When LTs skills begin to erode it can happen fast and with devastating results to a team. And in his prime Light had difficulties with speed rushers.

You always want someone younger ready to step in as the next Generation at LT. Light's had a good career but even he knows the next LT needs to be groomed at this stage in his career.

Yup. He's going to have to commit to it, too. Tough to setup the spin when you have a guy with that kind of kickslide. Nevermind what Vollmer will do to Freeny in the directional stuff. Big man with TE feet. It's gonna be a long day for the tasmanian devil.

I can't wait to see Vollmer vs Freeney... in the run game.

To teh poster about Tampa Bay...Vollmer injured his leg in the first half..I THINK if that had not happened he would have been BIG against them as well..He played stayed in like a trooper..

I agree, we can all assume that likely his leg was the reason, but we need to see him play against some top competition before we all pencil him in instead of Matt Light at LT.

My ideal line would be Vollmer steals the LT position, Light gets RT which I always hoped for and Kaczur moves to gaurd. Neal has done a good job considering his background but he is not perfect.

And yeah I want Brady to have perfect protection. :)

My ideal line would be Vollmer steals the LT position, Light gets RT which I always hoped for and Kaczur moves to gaurd. Neal has done a good job considering his background but he is not perfect.
I don't understand this.

Neal is a great guard. Hes one of the best in the league, and in my opinion, (and most of the actual football people I've talked to), Kazcur is a better tackle than Light. He gets left alone more, and they run better to that side. When light broke his leg a couple years back, Kazcur, as a rookie, replaced him with pretty much no issues.

They resigned Kazcur long term for a reason: hes pretty good.

I would say this is a decent guestimate on how the scenario will play out. I still think Light is the best option this year. Vollmer is the LT of the future. The Pats will try to trade Light in the offseason while he still has value (Calling Scott Pioli and Josh McDaniels).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back