PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ian R: Can rookie Sebastian Vollmer end the Matt Light Era at left tackle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not understand the anti kazur crew. He is a very good RT.Right tackles sometimes get beat as the RB help or TE help is usually for the LT.The right tackle usually faces the bigger slower DE .

He is good but come on. We constantly keep a RB or TE to protect.
the problem is we are forced to play 2 TE set.which is not bad given out WR deapth but we will not do a lot of 4 or 5 wr sets with him.

Jesus C People.......... STOP BEING DEFENSIVE. WTF?

Kazur is a great RT and we all love him. Light is probably better (opinion). He's better all around (again, opinion), so it's not a slight on Kazur or an indication of failure if they shifted an All-pro Tackle over to his side if they decided to go with Vollmer on the left.

If Vollmer is good enough to have people talking about him supplanting Light, then a few offhand comments about shifting said "replaced" ALL-PRO tackle to the other side is not that friggen unreasonable.

My god............... I get the overly defensiveness rhetoric with every "Maroney made of glass" thread, but this IS a DISCUSSION board too. It's not unreasonable, nor a kick into the face to Kazur personally. The very real possibility exists that when Light gets back, we'll have 3 quality (if Vollmer proves himself to be that) STARTING tackles on the team. Good problem to have, but only 2 are gonna start.

Stop killing people for DISCUSSION about possible combinations on a DISCUSSION board on a thread asking for opinions.

Last edited:
Stop killing people for DISCUSSION about possible combinations on a DISCUSSION board on a thread asking for opinions.

The thing is, though, if you look back, you often find that certain people have avowed distates for certain players. Kaczur certainly has more than his fair share of detractors (especially after his legal issues).

I say we make Light a TE, then.

I think Vollmer <--> Light is better then Light <--> Kazur

I don't.

I think Vollmer<->Light is probably slightly better pass blocking, but I think Vollmer<->Kazcur is significantly better run blocking.

The thing is, though, if you look back, you often find that certain people have avowed distates for certain players. Kaczur certainly has more than his fair share of detractors (especially after his legal issues).

Every player on this team has detractors on here, and proponents....... This place won't hesitate to even fault Ghost if he dares misses a FG. Hell Brady is the GOAT, and I remember more "body-language", and "he'll never be the same again" threads/posts then I care to remember.

I get what your saying, and you may be right that there are many Kazur detractors here. My point was that just cuz his name came, up it's no reason to pull out the "anti-Kazur crew" label.

I don't.

I think Vollmer<->Light is probably slightly better pass blocking, but I think Vollmer<->Kazcur is significantly better run blocking.

I actually wouldn't dispute that. Which, situationally, might be called on regularly.

Last edited:
Having Vollmer play impressively enough that he might unseat a very good LT is a very good problem to have.

Might it be that Light ultimately is dangled as trade bait after the season? Ditto Sanders?

if vollmer can handle freeney, then it comes down to the running game

and if we ran it better w/ seabass in there (which we have) than seabass will stay in there

Having Vollmer play impressively enough that he might unseat a very good LT is a very good problem to have.

Might it be that Light ultimately is dangled as trade bait after the season? Ditto Sanders?

Both would spark much interest.

I think I'm as excited to see Vollmer maul Freeney,as I am watching TFB chuck TDS this weekend......

Welcome to the man you will be seeing across from you for now on..get used to being sackless(ouch !!) vs the Pats...BIOTTTTTTCCCHHHHHHHHHH!!

I think I'm as excited to see Vollmer maul Freeney,as I am watching TFB chuck TDS this weekend......

Welcome to the man you will be seeing across from you for now on..get used to being sackless(ouch !!) vs the Pats...BIOTTTTTTCCCHHHHHHHHHH!!

Heheheh

This is all wishful thinking of course.........:D

That is 6'8" verus 6', that will be interesting to see.......... I think Vollmer might have the reach advantage here.

Money won't play into Belichick's decision, but Vollmer hasn't really faced anyone yet to prove he deserves the job. If he handles Freeney on Sunday night, we then might have this discussion. But this year Vanden Bosch, White, and Porter have like 5 or 6 sacks between them all. Vollmer hasn't exactly faced a murder's row of DE/OLBs in Light's absence.

+1

I like Vollmer and have high hopes for him but he did not play all that terrific against Tampa for whatever the reason and let's just see how it goes in the next few weeks.

I would like nothing more than to have Vollmer be better than Matt Light at LT because I have always maintained that Light would be an ideal RT and that he is somewhat overrated around here at LT. His struggles against certain pass rushers have not improved enough in the last several years for my taste.

Yes, I do want perfect protection for Brady. :)

Didnt read this entire post , but ya Vollmer is taking the lt spot. move Light over to rt and kazur over to rg. (Neil is pretty much done). I'm not sure you can do all this during the season though.

Let's see how Vollmer does against the Colts before making a decision about light.

Also, moving Vollmer to right tackle makes no sense when he's had all his success, and so has the line as a whole, with him on the left side. There can be some major differences between the two positions and moving Vollmer could impact his performance, especially since he's a rookie. I don't even consider moving Vollmer if I'm Belichick.

Kazcur is also an underrated player who hasn't done anything this year to make me believe Belichick would consider benching him.

I think if Vollmer has a good day against the Colts, Light rides the bench. BB doesn't care what his contract numbers are. The only other situation I could see would be Light starting at RT, but even though he's a veteran I doubt he's gotten any reps at RT in recent years, so that probably won't happen either.

We should have posted this AFTER the Colts game if he happened to shut down Freeny.

Until than, it's not much of a strong argument. We've only seen a small sample of Vollmer to say anything for the future. No question he will be the eventual replacement though. Immediately? I don't know.

To teh poster about Tampa Bay...Vollmer injured his leg in the first half..I THINK if that had not happened he would have been BIG against them as well..He played stayed in like a trooper..

Didnt read this entire post , but ya Vollmer is taking the lt spot. move Light over to rt and kazur over to rg. (Neil is pretty much done). I'm not sure you can do all this during the season though.

Matt Light is probably one of the few LTs in the league who would be almost useless as a RT. RTs are generally much larger, and much more powerful, as are the defensive ends they face.

Light at RT would be like watching Light against Aaron Shobel every week.

Might it be that Light ultimately is dangled as trade bait after the season?

Personally, I'd be happy to keep 3 starting-caliber tackles on the roster in an uncapped year.

Personally, I'd be happy to keep 3 starting-caliber tackles on the roster in an uncapped year.

Sure thing. Kaczur, LeVoir, Vollmer :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back