PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ian R: Can rookie Sebastian Vollmer end the Matt Light Era at left tackle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Can rookie Sebastian Vollmer end the Matt Light Era at left tackle?

Patriots [team stats] left tackle Matt Light [stats] has missed the past three games with a knee injury, and rookie Sebastian Vollmer has stepped in more than ably. Light has made one public appearance - at teammate Jarvis Green’s fund-raiser - but he has yet to do so at practice.

Meanwhile, the highly touted Vollmer, a second-round pick from the University of Houston, has stood toe-to-toe with elite pass-rushers like the Titans’ Kyle Vanden Bosch and the Dolphins’ Joey Porter while the offense has averaged 40 points in those three games.

What happens when Light returns?

“We’ll deal with the situation when he comes back,” coach Bill Belichick told the Herald. “I don’t know when that’s going to be. Both guys have shown they can play that position very competitively, and we’ll deal with it when it’s an option. The last couple weeks, it hasn’t been an option.”

Do you guys really think this is Brady all over again?

I just can't see not playing your all-pro LT when he's on the books for 4+ mil. unless he's diminished by his injury.

Bill is just answering questions that are always going to be controversial the best he can, but Florio on PFT is trying to spin this into something heavier:
Belichick hints Light might not get his job back | ProFootballTalk.com

Last edited:
I can see them not playing him at LT, and switching him to RT instead.

Vollmer has been a suprise but Light will be back.Vollmer will most likely be moved to right tackle.

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Can rookie Sebastian Vollmer end the Matt Light Era at left tackle?

Do you guys really think this is Brady all over again?

I just can't see not playing your all-pro LT when he's on the books for 4+ mil. unless he's diminished by his injury.

Bill is just answering questions that are always going to be controversial the best he can, but Florio on PFT is trying to spin this into something heavier:
Belichick hints Light might not get his job back | ProFootballTalk.com

BB will play whoever gives his team the best chance to win. Salary won't even be considered when dealing playing time for players you already have.

Money won't play into Belichick's decision, but Vollmer hasn't really faced anyone yet to prove he deserves the job. If he handles Freeney on Sunday night, we then might have this discussion. But this year Vanden Bosch, White, and Porter have like 5 or 6 sacks between them all. Vollmer hasn't exactly faced a murder's row of DE/OLBs in Light's absence.

It sounds cliched, but Belichick will play the best at the position, given individual abilities, state of health, and opponent capabilities. Light played against the Cravens D, the Jets, and Atlanta. Vollmer has played full games against the Titans, the Bucs and the Fish, none of which would be regarded as defensive powerhouses.

That is not to detract from Vollmer's work to date, nor to say he may not replace Light at some point, but unlike Brady's ending the Bledsoe era, you have to be able to conclude Vollmer makes the team better in that position than it would otherwise be with Light in the position. I don't believe that can be said at this point. You have slightly more data on Vollmer than you do Connolly, but given the fact Connolly came in and replaced Koppen without incident after he was injured, you could call for the end of the Koppen era as well.

The problem with evaluating offensive line play is you have to have a trained eye and not merely focus on results. I played offensive and defensive line in high school and appreciate the fundamentals, but would not claim to have the data on Light versus Vollmer at that position as television tends to focus on the QB, RB and WR. Nor would I claim to know everything to look for in blocking at the pro level to conduct the assessment the offensive line coach would be required to conduct. Is the team succeeding because of your blocking or despite your blocking? Can you run block and pass block effectively? A QB's effect on a team tends to be immediately visible, as was the case with Brady in 2001 (fewer mistakes given the role he played in that offense, but the receivers seemed to elevate their game and drop the ball less frequently than they did with Bledsoe), but the play of an individual lineman, even a LT, can be masked to some extent by playcalling and blocking schemes.

Last edited:
As others have said, money isn't the issue. J. Sanders is the 15th biggest cap hit on the team this year and is the 4th Safety right now (BTW his re-signing wasn't as bad as it sounds as most of the money is in salary so they aren't stuck with that contract). I have no doubt that Vollmer is more talented than Light, against the run and the pass but he plays a position that could end our season so this week is the test - on the road against a top pass rusher. If Vollmer gets the job done I doubt he sees the bench again; if not then Light will be back when he can be although from the article is sounds like that will be a while. The Jets game will be a test too with all the decision making he'll have to make on the blitz.

I don't completely disagree, but it does seem like we say this every week.

Well, we won't say that this weekend. Freeney is having a very good year. He's third in the league in sacks. This is a real test for Vollmer. Although physically, he may be more suited to go against Freeney since Freeney can be neutralized if a LT can keep him away from his body to stop the spin move.

You can only play the opponent on your schedule. Luckily, when Light went down, the Pats hit a stretch of mediocre DEs/OLBs for Vollmer to get acclimated to the position. We'll get a glimpse on Sunday whether Vollmer is the real deal or just a product of weak competition.

I can see them not playing him at LT, and switching him to RT instead.

I think this is the most likely scenario. I think Vollmer <--> Light is better then Light <--> Kazur

This is not all that different than the debate in 2001. And I wish people would stop referring to Light as if he's been a perennial All Pro LT. Deirdorf was blathering about him in his absence as if he'd been that as well. He made the pro bowl once as a 4th string backup and then because it's a popularity contest he got named the following year when there was no clear cut lock for the position. He got that nod as well as the AP and PFWA nod at All Pro LT in large part because of the record setting offense and undefeated 2007 season. He remains a solid LT who has issues with speed rushers that requires adjustments be made. And an aging one at that.

At this point the job is Vollmer's to lose since he wasn't drafted in the second round to be a career backup or swing tackle. He was drafted to be the future LT here and a much different kind of player. One better suited to holding blocks and opening holes and standing alone. Smart and fast but also BIG.

Just like Bledsoe, Light will have to earn his starting spot back in practice unless Vollmer loses it there or on the playing field or gets hurt. There are no guarantees here and Bill will always play the guy who gives him the best chance to win.

I think that if Vollmer plays LT this week, and shuts down and/or seriously contains Freeney, then he will have won the starting LT job, and then it is does Light move to RT or stick with Kazur. If Vollmer struggles with the speed guys, then Light gets his job back (for now).

We're fortunate to have depth at O line-more than most teams.. Vollmer is still learning the game & is doing great as a sub. Coming in cold, Connolly did well replacing Koppen. On this board the line seldom gets its due. Brady has been sacked only 7 times, I think. Our two losses aren't solely the line's fault. We only hear their numbers when they screw up, which isn't often. But if Light gets beaten a couple of times, people here shout for his head. I hope Koppen & Light get back soon, but meanwhile we ain't hurtin' at these vital positions.

This may be a dumb question, but perhaps those who know a lot more about o-line play can answer. Is this necessarily an "all or nothing" choice? For example, on d and specifically the d-line, you see a lot more shuffling in and out, such as Wilfork coming off the field on 3rd and long for more of a speed rusher package. It seems like teams don't do that with their o-lines as much. But suppose one LT was an A run blocker and a B pass blocker and his alternate was the opposite. Might you see a rotation of the alternate if in an obvious passing down, or is this giving away to much info?

Nick Kaczur is the RT. Why is it that people can't grasp that he's not the weak link on this line? No one is replacing him this year if he stays healthy, especially given his current level of play.

As others have said, money isn't the issue. J. Sanders is the 15th biggest cap hit on the team this year and is the 4th Safety right now (BTW his re-signing wasn't as bad as it sounds as most of the money is in salary so they aren't stuck with that contract).

Also:
(A) The Pats made that deal on 3/1, before they got McGowan or Chung, and after it was pretty clear Rodney was done. Do you really want to go into the 2009 season being forced to replace everyone at S except Meriweather?

(B) According to Reiss, Sanders was offered more money elsewhere.

Also:
(A) The Pats made that deal on 3/1, before they got McGowan or Chung, and after it was pretty clear Rodney was done. Do you really want to go into the 2009 season being forced to replace everyone at S except Meriweather?

Also, Sanders is NOT a sub-par safety. I believe he's dinged and he's got unexpectedly steep competition at the position.

Nick Kaczur is the RT. Why is it that people can't grasp that he's not the weak link on this line? No one is replacing him this year if he stays healthy, especially given his current level of play.

Scapegoat%2520(Detail)%2520-%2520email.jpg

Last edited:
Also:

Right, I think we're agreeing - it was actually a good deal for us as it gave us insurance but mostly in salary.

I do not understand the anti kazur crew. He is a very good RT.Right tackles sometimes get beat as the RB help or TE help is usually for the LT.The right tackle usually faces the bigger slower DE .

He is good but come on. We constantly keep a RB or TE to protect.
the problem is we are forced to play 2 TE set.which is not bad given out WR deapth but we will not do a lot of 4 or 5 wr sets with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back