PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I wish 16-0 would never have happened

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy the Patriots won. I'm not happy with the way they played certain stretches of the game but a W is a W.

Not all wins are worth the same though. This is the most valuable kind of win...a division win. It carries more weight than a win against an NFC team because of tiebreakers. So you'll take these wins any way you can get them.

I can't believe how *some* fans react when the team struggles. This goes for all teams and sports. I mean, if you don't like the quarterback, and you don't like most of the players, and you want the coaches gone, then why are you a fan? Do you like the uniforms or something? I realize there is plenty of room for criticism, but we're 1st in our division coming off our fifth super bowl appearance in a decade. It's not like we're Chiefs fans.

Last edited:
remember the 04 season they lost to the dolphins who ended up with like 4 wins but they dominated that year and eventually won the SB

Even during the SB title years the Pats had to pull some wins out of their asses against what many would consider inferior competition.

Like this: New England Patriots vs. Houston Texans - Recap - November 23, 2003 - ESPN

Ah yes, good point, but the biggest difference is that for those teams it was the EXCEPTION and not the rule. With this team, someone else hit the nail on the head, it's like watching the same game over and over again. We're 7 games into the season, and we've blown multi-score leads in three games (BAL, SEA, NYJ) and cut it pretty close in another (DEN). That's four times in seven games, instead of it being an exception it's a real problem.

Don't confuse me with the 'sky is falling crowd'. I've had high expectations for the team and STILL have high expectations for the team. But I'll actually turn it around and say that the people who continue to be 'nah, there is NO problem' are in denial, too.

I think there is a large group of people who are somewhere in the middle who still have high hopes for the Pats but still recognize that maybe the team has more problems than we suspected going into the season. There is hope that everyone will get turned around but at the same time acknowledge that the first seven games have displayed plenty cause for concern. After all, we were THAT close to 3-4!

Before this game: "The Pats can't win close games."
After this game: "The Pats didn't deserve to win this close game."

Brilliant! Apparently people forgot that the thing about close games is that no team wins it decisively...

Most people are happy with this win. On the same token, most of those people are also saying that this team has some serious issues they need to fix. Let's not forget, now, that this was a Jets team without Revis and Holmes.

BINGO!

Obviously a win is a win, but lets get real here. We just BARELY escaped a loss in OVERTIME, AT HOME, against a very broken Jets team for crying out loud. No Holmes, no Revis, Greene out for part of the game, and yet we BARELY escaped with a win.

Could you imagine the score had these been the Texans? Holy 5hit.

Most people are happy with this win. On the same token, most of those people are also saying that this team has some serious issues they need to fix. Let's not forget, now, that this was a Jets team without Revis and Holmes.

Sure there are problems to be fixed. Major problems, on both sides of the ball. Points left on the board, 4th quarter leads evaporated, big plays given up by the secondary. I doubt even the most homeristic fan would deny that. But let's also not forget that this team, which allowed Mark Sanchez to throw for almost 300 yards, did so without their 2 starting safeties, had to move their best CB to FS. Also, that they were without their Pro Bowl LG, that they were without their starting RG for most of the game, that their starting RT is banged up, that their All Pro TE has been banged up, that their best-in-the-NFL H-back/TE is still limited coming off an injury, and that they were missing a key part of the 1-2 running punch that was so effective a few weeks ago. So when people wonder why the offense that looked so amazing a few weeks ago looks less impressive now, it's not so surprising that there would be issues with consistency.

And while people can say that we're just a slightly above average team right now, the fact is that we're currently leading the AFC East, we're 2-0 in the division, and we have the 3rd best record in the conference. One of the 2 teams with a better record than us appears to be falling apart. All of the other teams in the conference except for Houston appear to have issues which are as big or bigger than ours. So while there's certainly work to be done and serious issues to fix, there's plenty of time and we're in good position, and we still have the guys with the best track record in the business at fixing issues over the course of a season. All we need to do is stay in position, keep healthy, and keep working on fixing those issues and building consistency.

We used to celebrate "winning ugly". Teams used to shake their heads in wonder at how the Pats came out on the winning end over and over again. Now it seems more often than not that the board should be named Patstrolls.com.

........Really

what a bunch of ****$ we have on this board (including the trolls)

Win is a Win, The giants won some games last year where they were outplayed the whole game, See the Niners game in the playoffs for example..

A win is a win people. Dont expect 300 point blowout every week.

Every week fans here expect Brady to throw for a zillion yards and a dozen TDs ... Dont forget the opposing team is an NFL team not a LINGERIE FOOTBAL team, they will give the best they have

Ppl making threads that "Brady is not clutch" , "Not satisfied with the win"
really? so after the Ravens loss were u guys partying the whole night coz we were robbed of a win by the refs? do u still count that loss as a win?

10 years down the line u wont even remember how close this game was.
Chill out a win is a win

Okay, you are the most stalwart patriots fan ever. We get it, no need to go starting threads to proclaim your superiority.

Before this game: "The Pats can't win close games."
After this game: "The Pats didn't deserve to win this close game."

Brilliant! Apparently people forgot that the thing about close games is that no team wins it decisively...

I think you're missing the point here. It's not that we didn't deserve the win, but rather the fact that we should have never ended up in such a close game in the first place.

Did we win? -yes

Should this game been tied and gone to OT? Are you kidding me? We just played one of the worst teams in the league, and they are playing in limp mode with all their stars inactive for crying out loud, and yet we had more luck than brains to escape with a W.

************, that was an ugly win. :mad:

It's one thing to get into OT with the Niners or the Texans, but with a broken Jets team??? That was one embarrassing performance we out out there.

A message board like this is the place where people vent their displeasure as well as voice their approval when it comes to their football team.

Not sure why you'd show up in here and expect otherwise.

What does this win have to do with the 16-0 season? That was one of the greatest runs in NFL history and this was an ugly win over a division rival. Most Pats fans that I see are pretty happy right now.

Okay, you are the most stalwart patriots fan ever. We get it, no need to go starting threads to proclaim your superiority.

No need to post in this thread to increase ur post count

What does this win have to do with the 16-0 season? That was one of the greatest runs in NFL history and this was an ugly win over a division rival. Most Pats fans that I see are pretty happy right now.
I take it that U dont visit the game day threads

10 years down the line, Belichick and Brady will be gone.

(I refuse to include Robert Kraft with Brady or Belichick. Fingers crossed, the guy will be with us another 30 years. The affable lug has become like a tv-football grandfather to me :) )

There is a chance in 10 years we could resort back to the Patriots of a few decades ago and be BEGGING for a win.

.. or worse, end up like the Jets.
I doubt it.

The team has until December 10th to get themselves together when the big bad Texans come to town.

I don't remember the Pats getting beat badly at Gillette in the regular season in at least 6 years or so and to keep that going they will need to be MUCH better by that time otherwise they won't deserve to be on the same field that game.

Yes, a 'win' is a 'win', thank you for pointing that out.

As educated football fans, however, I think we would be foolish not to acknowledge that there are different kinds of qualities of wins. In the Super Bowl, that is the ONLY time when the phrase a 'win is a win' really applies because everyone is happy to win the final game (pretty or ugly). As for all other games, however, while a win does add another number to the W column, we do analyze the quality of the win to assess and predict the team's capabilities of earning future victories. A messageboard dedicated to this team would be a perfect place to discuss such matters.

Thank you. I love these fans who are just so thrilled with the Patriots win that they feel compelled to start threads about other fans. Not so happy really, are you?

Get these weak-&@! $&!*! threads out of here. We're Pats fans, we're happy they won, and whaddya know, we might want to talk about the team.

I think you're missing the point here. It's not that we didn't deserve the win, but rather the fact that we should have never ended up in such a close game in the first place.

Did we win? -yes

Should this game been tied and gone to OT? Are you kidding me? We just played one of the worst teams in the league, and they are playing in limp mode with all their stars inactive for crying out loud, and yet we had more luck than brains to escape with a W.

************, that was an ugly win. :mad:

It's one thing to get into OT with the Niners or the Texans, but with a broken Jets team??? That was one embarrassing performance we out out there.

I'm not missing your point I just doing think it makes much sense. Fans like you are upset that the team they root for had a bad game, but still succeeded in the only way that matters in the NFL.

I could understand if this game actually convinced you that the Pats are on the same level as the Jets, which are definitely not one of the worst teams in the league. If that's the case then all your arguments above make no sense.

The Pats are misfiring and underachieving right now. They needed a W today and got it. At this point that's all that matters. I stand by my previous thoughts that what matters is not dropping another game before the bye and having most of this stuff sorted out after.

That's one of the dumbest sayings ever.

What are you trying to say, that the Jets wanted to win today more than we did?

Unless u were born yesterday u should know by now that all the JETS think and talk about is the PATS

I loved 16-0... That season was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back